Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jitney bus crashes into four cars & two buildings on Kennedy Blvd --Passengers taken hospital
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I've read enough of HeightsBrat's posts to feel comfortable he or she is not a racist, in fact is a booster of the Height's diversity. You go! That said, I have to protest HB's condemnation of the jitneys, and agree with JCMan8, one of my bete noirs on this board.

The Jitneys may represent a race to the bottom, but people take them and their market is not going away:

- NJ Transit is archaic, anti-urban, and sucks. Is it INSANE or what that you need cash or tickets, and can only buy tickets 2 places on the planet
- THERE IS RIDERSHIP! 87 buses are packed, and they are ALWAYS delayed. I have a monthly pass, as does HB, but don't want to leave 1 1/4 hours to get from Palisades and Franklin to lower Manhattan (4 miles, BTW) so often find myself jumping on a jitney if I have to wait too long.
EVERYTHING NJT DOES IS STUPID and ignores riders needs - why are there 2 or 3 nearly empty 84 buses going to Bergenline when there are a lot of people waiting for the 87? Why do 84 and 87 buses leave from different platforms at JSQ? Why could you not buy the October monthly pass from a TVM, and have to go to Hoboken?

Sorry, NJT is totally geared for suburban commuters, and has no clue about urban mass transit. They cannot be trusted/counted on/relied on/believed so the Jitneys are here to stay, safe or not.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 0:07

Re: Jitney bus crashes into four cars & two buildings on Kennedy Blvd --Passengers taken hospital
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A jitney struck an NJ Transit bus at noon yesterday, sending three people to a local hospital with minor injuries, authorities said.

The NJ Transit No. 83 bus, which was carrying seven passengers, was on Summit Avenue between Newark Avenue and Route 139 when it was struck from behind by the jitney, which had two passengers, Jersey City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

More

Posted on: 2015/10/6 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Im kind of leaning towards Corey being spot on about HB concerning his particular post. Now pay close attention Heights( you little nazi...i kid, i kid ).

Quote:
HeightsBrat wrote:

Quote:
These are people who do not want to learn the language or assimilate in any way shape or form. Therefore, they cannot improve their lot in life.

See what HB did there. He generalized and made sweeping generalizations. He doesn't know about the every day life of all those people. In my own experience, i have met some scary drivers and some who do not speak the language at all. I have met drivers that follow all the rules and spoke fine english. Also, I should mention these guys would not be out there if there was no money to be made. They do not get subsidized like NJ Transit or Amtrak or the Ferry. They either make money or they go out of business. Also, not all drivers are Spanish or Hispanic.

Quote:
HeightsBrat wrote:

Quote:
And assimilation does not mean you lose your cultural identity but also embrace a new one. That is what made us, well, us.

Do you see what HB did there Heights? It's the classic trope lots of KKK, Neo Nazis and other hate groups use. The "us" vs. "them". Heck even the Republicans use that all the time in their politics.

Posted on: 2014/9/1 0:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/4/4 20:01
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to add that I've taken the jitney from JFK to Manhattan for over 10 years and there isn't an NJT equivalent that comes even close to the frequency or price of these busses if you purchase discounted tickets at the Port Authority.

If I waited for an NJT bus I'd be adding a solid 30-40 minutes to my round trip commute every day. I rarely even see NJT busses running this route, maybe one every two weeks while I'm waiting for the jitney. So they do have a value.

Posted on: 2014/8/31 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Take a look at what drives the shitneys.

Oh, I get it, you're a racist shi!thead. Stopped reading there. Hey webmaster, please work on that filter so we can ignore users. I have no need to read the incoherent ramblings of some racist peckerwood.

Cory you usually have insight on this board but this time around I'm not so sure. Could you give us a bullet point list as to why you think HB is a racist ? I think HB hit the nail on the head with this one.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 12:15
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Take a look at what drives the shitneys.

Oh, I get it, you're a racist shi!thead. Stopped reading there. Hey webmaster, please work on that filter so we can ignore users. I have no need to read the incoherent ramblings of some racist peckerwood.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:
however, if the ridership were there I bet NJT would rise to meet the need. Busses are expensive to operate & there is no reason to run all kinds of bus lines if there is no one on the bus.

There's a reason they run every 30 seconds. There's ridership. They aren't empty, and are in fact close to full midway through their route. Why? Because there aren't enough buses. It is, quite easily, the perfect example of the free market at work.

You, the consumer, can vote with your dollar and only take NJT. On the occasions I still use them, I will happily give my money to whichever mode of transport shows up first.

I can respect that but I don't know where you wait for your shitney but they come along 2 to 5 at a time and there is never a line of passengers for them. In fact they block busses at the stops and passengers have to walk to the bus because the shitney isn't moving. Take a look at what drives the shitneys. These are people who do not want to learn the language or assimilate in any way shape or form. Therefore, they cannot improve their lot in life. And assimilation does not mean you lose your cultural identity but also embrace a new one. That is what made us, well, us. And like I said, you can reduce your monthly cost 25% or better by getting the bus pass. I kept tabs one month and used over $115 dollars in transportation for $72 dollars, sounds pretty good to me. Besides, even if you use only the pass's worth in riding, think of the convenience - no change to carry! Not bad, imho.

By the way there is nothing like doing over 60 up the Boulevard because your driver is chasing the driver who jumped him in line in New York. And while this manical driving is taking place your bus driver is opening the door and throwing garbage at the other driver and passengers. Wonderful. We had the police meet us at Journal Square.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to park along the curb but the sign states bus stop which prevent me from parking there. However when turning onto a corner with said bus stop the jitneys jut outside of the allocated area for busses and I end up riding along side the passenger door of the bus. If I am in my car I have to go around the bus and hope I won't get clipped by on coming traffic. The police and the city agencies have occational sweeps of these so called busses but nothing is ever done. It might create an incentive for lawsuits.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 13:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Your statement about not trusting NJT is interesting. Care to elaborate?

Yes, I am saying they have a hard time getting things right so I would not trust they could accommodate all the extra riders if jitneys were suddenly legislated out of existence. I think you'd see lots of lines at the bus stops and not enough capacity.

In other words, even though I agree the jitneys are dirty, unsafe, owned by thugs, this is a better situation than without them, because I think NJT would completely mess up an expansion.

Honestly this isn't much help, because it is not offering a solution, but it is my opinion that too much regulation will cause no one to use/be able to afford the jitneys, and things will get worse.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
however, if the ridership were there I bet NJT would rise to meet the need. Busses are expensive to operate & there is no reason to run all kinds of bus lines if there is no one on the bus.

There's a reason they run every 30 seconds. There's ridership. They aren't empty, and are in fact close to full midway through their route. Why? Because there aren't enough buses. It is, quite easily, the perfect example of the free market at work.

You, the consumer, can vote with your dollar and only take NJT. On the occasions I still use them, I will happily give my money to whichever mode of transport shows up first.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Now you can argue the point that the Shitneys run every 30 seconds, however, if the ridership were there I bet NJT would rise to meet the need. Busses are expensive to operate & there is no reason to run all kinds of bus lines if there is no one on the bus. Let ridership make the demand & NJT just might meet the challenge.

This is where we disagree. I think the organizational skills of NJT are terrible. Remember how they left those trains in the middle of a floodplain during Sandy which caused hundreds of millions in damage?

Jitneys definitely should have some kind of safety standard, but I think that this will price many out and there will be no substitute. I don't trust NJT.

I agree 100% with NJT organizational skills. I think this is due in part to various companies leasing from NJT. They operate under that banner. The ABSOLUTE worst is A & C. They have the run that covers the M&W route, Newport, 440 Shopper & Society Hill. They are a nightmare & I have told them so.

Shitneys are owned by people who amount to predatory thugs. As long as they get their $110/day (or whatever) for the vehicle, they do not care. They seem to be operating in a gray area that allows for this. The drivers themselves are ignorant of any type of rules of the road, they drive either dangerously fast to get passengers or dangerously slow, blocking traffic. I have seen them drop people in the middle of the street cause that is where the person wants to get off. It is highly doubtful these drivers even possess legal licenses nor do they seem to be interested in getting one or improving their lot.

Your statement about not trusting NJT is interesting. Care to elaborate?

Posted on: 2014/8/23 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Now you can argue the point that the Shitneys run every 30 seconds, however, if the ridership were there I bet NJT would rise to meet the need. Busses are expensive to operate & there is no reason to run all kinds of bus lines if there is no one on the bus. Let ridership make the demand & NJT just might meet the challenge.

This is where we disagree. I think the organizational skills of NJT are terrible. Remember how they left those trains in the middle of a floodplain during Sandy which caused hundreds of millions in damage?

Jitneys definitely should have some kind of safety standard, but I think that this will price many out and there will be no substitute. I don't trust NJT.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Wasn't there a recent 'safety blitz' conducted by the JCPD and noted many if not all these 'buses' was faulty in some way?

This driver and operator should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law that is applicable if indeed the cause was a safety malfunction due to maintenance neglect.

These 'buses' need to be regulated.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 1:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
There is barely any regulation and I'm sure many of these vehicles are unsafe.

However, prices will rise to address these issues, and that would be a big problem for the people who use them, many of whom can't afford a big price increase.

When you say prices will rise to address these issues, I am assuming you mean the price charged for the privilege of riding a filthy, unsafe vehicle.

Here's the 411, if you think that these shitneys are cheaper than NJT vehicles. Instead of looking at how often the shitneys run & thinking that they are cheaper, think again.

Both NJT & shitneys charge $1.50 to do a basic one bus trip within city. HOWEVER, if you have to take a second bus/shitney to reach your final destination within the city, you can get a NJT transfer for an additional $0.70. Shitneys do not have this option you pay another $1.50. Seniors pay half fare on NJT. Shitneys do not have this option. You can get a Zone 1 pass from NJT for $54/mo. This allows you to ride NJT busses all over Jersey City as many times as you like. If you buy a Zone 2 pass for $72/mo, you can bus all over Hudson County AND ride the Light Rail. NJT busses are inspected TWICE A YEAR, shitneys are lucky if they are swept twice a year. NJT drivers go through courses & physicals to get their CDLs. Everytime a NJT driver has to renew his/her license they have to get a complete physical. Shitney drivers want to know what a license is.

What the Shitney does that NJT doesn't is make change. This is why Shitney drivers are sometimes robbed.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
There is barely any regulation and I'm sure many of these vehicles are unsafe.

However, prices will rise to address these issues, and that would be a big problem for the people who use them, many of whom can't afford a big price increase.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 0:55

Jitney bus crashes into four cars & two buildings on Kennedy Blvd --Passengers taken hospital
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... lding_in_jersey_city.html

PHOTOS: Jitney bus crashes into 2 buildings in Jersey City

Five jitney bus passengers were taken to a local hospital with minor injuries this morning after a mechanical malfunction caused the bus to crash into four cars and two buildings on Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City, officials said.

The 41-year-old bus driver told police that he was driving south on Kennedy Boulevard shortly after 6 a.m. and tried to stop at Grant Avenue. But when the brakes malfunctioned, the bus steered right and struck four parked cars on the west side of the street, a police report states.

The Mega Tours Inc. bus then struck the Mini Market grocery store at 2127 Kennedy Blvd. and a Comcast service center at 2125 Kennedy Blvd., causing minor damage to the facades of both businesses, police said.

The five people were taken to JCMC, where they are being examined and treated for minor injuries, said JCMC spokesman Rabson said, adding that none of the people are expected to be admitted to the hospital.

Four of the five people are Jersey City residents, while the fourth in from Union City., according to the report.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 21:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017