Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: JC in NY Times article on "Life After Brooklyn"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
does anyone know exactly what building in the heights they're referring to in that NYT article? it's never named, but it's apparently a converted suitcase factory.

Pretty sure it's the loft building around the corner from me on Webster Avenue and Hutton Street - here's a link to what seems to be the listing for the apartment. Beautiful space!
http://streeteasy.com/new_jersey/sale ... e-the-heights-jersey-city

Posted on: 2014/8/29 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Urbanista wrote:
The final thing I'll say is that getting on a bike makes the whole city so much smaller. I will admit that I used to think that certain areas, like the Heights, were so far and isolated based on reading message boards like this. Now that I'm biking more often, they don't feel far at all. I think that's a really powerful thing.

+1. My son has been biking every day this month from HP to Lincoln Park for track practice, and one of his buddies bikes to McNair from the Riverview Park area. That's real empowerment for kids, rather than being schlepped everywhere in the burbs by mommy and daddy.

Wishful_thinking hates the Heights, but you can't please everybody. There's a steady stream of gentrifiers like you heading up there. Someday he'll crap himself when he reads what the place became after he left.

LOL I'm 53 next week. By the time the Heights gentrifies, I'll be too old and won't have the energy to push my walker over to any of the trendy restaurants or cafes...

Posted on: 2014/8/29 17:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone know exactly what building in the heights they're referring to in that NYT article? it's never named, but it's apparently a converted suitcase factory.

Posted on: 2014/8/29 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Thx! Once the kiddos are back in school, I think I'll plan a trip to Thriftique.

According to their website, it's 3 blocks away from the Light Rail. Is it a safe walk during the day for a petite woman? Not familiar with that area.

THx!

I think its safe yea, but anything can happen to you anytime and anywhere be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine. Most of the area is concentrated with NJCU students.

The most scariest thing I ever experienced over there was a dude dressed as Elvis singing in the streets. There is also a recording studio next to Thriftique and so from time to time you will see grungy looking dudes or some local rock band having a smoke in front of the studio. Other than that there is not a lot of foot traffic over that way, most folks are driving over to 440.

Posted on: 2014/8/29 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Thx! Once the kiddos are back in school, I think I'll plan a trip to Thriftique.

According to their website, it's 3 blocks away from the Light Rail. Is it a safe walk during the day for a petite woman? Not familiar with that area.

THx!

Posted on: 2014/8/29 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Do they have much furniture there? Looking for a dinning room table + chairs. Wondering if worth a trip out there via the Light Rail.

Yes, Thriftique does carry furniture mostly 1930's-1950's circa, its tight near the furniture so if you bring kids keep an eye on them.

IMO the best place for furniture is The Bargain Basement which is a huge thrift store warehouse @ 352 Ocean its sort of like Thriftique but more furniture than gadgets, the owner name is Jackie. Thriftique is good for little odd things, and for folks who like thrift shops.

Posted on: 2014/8/29 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Do they have much furniture there? Looking for a dinning room table + chairs. Wondering if worth a trip out there via the Light Rail.

Posted on: 2014/8/29 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Visited Thriftique earlier this summer at the behest of my interior designer friend for my condo makeover, and MAN such great finds (and awesomely inexpensive)! Everyone's entitled to stay in their bubbles if they like, but it's easy to miss out on gems not even 20 min away.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
I agree with Lima. It's not that we're "scared" to go to a gallery on Danforth. It's just that there's already similar caliber galleries in DTJC. And if one is going to travel to a gallery, it's just as easy to get to Chelsea, Williamsburg, or Bushwick.

The argument that people don't go to the Heights or JSQ or BL because we're xenophobic yuppies is absurd. I know that's what a few posters who have some vendetta against downtown residents want everyone to believe but it's just not the case. If I'm leaving my immediate neighborhood to go hang out it'll be Manhattan or Brooklyn because they offer a lot more to do than going 15 minutes deeper into JC.

Lets just say you and Lima bean wont do it, I was at Thritique a few weeks ago here in GV and half of the shoppers were from dtjc and Hoboken. Its the individual, I really want to believe not everyone down there is cut from the same cloth. .

Here is a thread from 4 years ago on here about Thriftique -- great place -- easy stop if going to Home Depot on RT 440.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... 33485&keywords=Thriftique

Posted on: 2014/8/29 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Visited Thriftique earlier this summer at the behest of my interior designer friend for my condo makeover, and MAN such great finds (and awesomely inexpensive)! Everyone's entitled to stay in their bubbles if they like, but it's easy to miss out on gems not even 20 min away.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
I agree with Lima. It's not that we're "scared" to go to a gallery on Danforth. It's just that there's already similar caliber galleries in DTJC. And if one is going to travel to a gallery, it's just as easy to get to Chelsea, Williamsburg, or Bushwick.

The argument that people don't go to the Heights or JSQ or BL because we're xenophobic yuppies is absurd. I know that's what a few posters who have some vendetta against downtown residents want everyone to believe but it's just not the case. If I'm leaving my immediate neighborhood to go hang out it'll be Manhattan or Brooklyn because they offer a lot more to do than going 15 minutes deeper into JC.

Lets just say you and Lima bean wont do it, I was at Thritique a few weeks ago here in GV and half of the shoppers were from dtjc and Hoboken. Its the individual, I really want to believe not everyone down there is cut from the same cloth. .

Posted on: 2014/8/28 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brooklyn ? love it or leave it. That was the sentiment expressed by readers in reaction to an Aug. 22 article, ?Life After Brooklyn,? about people who are moving out of Brooklyn because of rising real estate prices, which attracted more than 600 comments.

For starters, there was a lot of venting about hipster displacement and gentrification. A reader by the screen name Sleater, for example, sounded off with this post:

?And the cycle of gentrification and hypergentrification continues! Push the longtime residents out, look for ?people like us,? raise rents and mortgages through the roof, and just move on to the next spot. PLEASE, stop it!?

Though another, Teri, who bought in Brooklyn nearly two decades ago, egged the hipsters on:

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

Lisa Medvedik-Huston and Jeff Huston moved to a large loft in Jersey City Heights from a smaller rental in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.Moving Out of Brooklyn Because of High PricesAUG. 22, 2014
?I live in Brooklyn and what keeps me here is that I bought a house in a neighborhood that no one wanted to live in in 1995. It is now a ?desirable? place and I have made a fortune on my investment, I laugh all the way to the bank as all of the ?gentrifiers? pay millions, keep it up please!?

?

Plenty of people waxed nostalgic for an older Brooklyn, with lower rents, ?the best pizza and Italian ices? as opposed to ?wine bars and hipster clothing stores,? as ?greenie,? who grew up in Brooklyn, put it:

?My Brooklyn was in truth kinda gritty at times, but it was home for the working and lower-middle classes.?

Of growing up in the 1950s and ?60s, Allen Roth wrote:

?Bklyn was utterly different from its status now as a Manhattan-manqu?. Brooklyn was, more than anything else, a state of mind. A place of delicatessens, salumerias, bodegas, and the type of person who would never have been caught living in Manhattan (and not because it was more expensive), just as the Manhattanite of yesteryear would never even have thought of living in Bklyn.?

But it wasn?t all charming, as a reader by the screen name jrak pointed out:

?I?ve lived in Brooklyn for more than 60 years and recall the days when car break-ins, bike thefts and burglaries were quite common and areas like Fort Greene Park were havens for drug dealers and muggers. While many of my friends and relatives left for the greener and safer pastures of the suburbs, I stayed because I enjoy living in a neighborhood where I can walk to great shops, restaurants, and parks and where everything the city has to offer is only a subway ride away. I?ve been to all the major cities in this country and none come close to breadth of what New York City has to offer and its vitality. Because of that, Brooklyn will continue to attract young graduates seeking to start their careers along with immigrants and refugees seeking a better life. Yes, it?s not easy to make it here, but probably no more now than it was in centuries past. I?m glad to have seen its renaissance in my lifetime.?

More

Posted on: 2014/8/28 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Clifton_Hanger wrote:
In general, with so many articles and discussions comparing Brooklyn and Jersey City, I do not think I have ever seen an article that correctly points out that a better comparison might be Brooklyn to Hudson County (Hoboken + JC, etc.)...not that the population is even that close between King's County and Hudson.

Perhaps. But, it wouldn't be a valid comparison, either. Yes, in terms of land area, it is much more valid to compare the borough of Brooklyn to Hudson County, but the way the land is laid out, and the ability of residents to move about that area, is vastly different. Also, let's be realistic... when people talk about "Brooklyn" they are really referring to "Browstone Brooklyn" and "gentrified/gentrifying Brooklyn". Say, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, etc. Not Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Coney Island, etc.

And, in that sense, DTJC is very much like "Brooklyn" (browstone BK, that is) and much (most?) of Hudson County is what they (Brooklynites) see as shitty NJ (hick, I mean cute, Bayonne; traffic hellhole Union City and North Bergen, etc.) I suppose my neighborhood, while great to me, would be considered the equivalent of Bushwick: ghetto, not cool enough, close to a nice area (DTJC), but not close enough.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
The ferry is wonderful alternative to the WTC line on weekends. Nice and relaxing.

+1000. Quite honestly, I would much rather ride the ferry to WFC (at the discounted rate of $2.50!) than the PATH into the bowels of the WTC. You would think that given the almost-at-capacity ridership on wekeends, NY Waterway would reconsider their regular rates. During the week, I sometimes ride the ferry, and it is not at all crowded. But on weekends, wow. At least twice as many people in each trip. Maybe if their regular rates weren't so exorbitant (~7.50 / trip) they would get more riders during the week.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
In general, with so many articles and discussions comparing Brooklyn and Jersey City, I do not think I have ever seen an article that correctly points out that a better comparison might be Brooklyn to Hudson County (Hoboken + JC, etc.)...not that the population is even that close between King's County and Hudson.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
This, exactly. I've been to all parts of Jersey City, extensively, over the 8+ years that I've lived here. I don't go there often because, there's more interesting things to do a quick Path ride away. Most of Jersey City is pretty tough to get to by public transit. Easier to get to Manhattan, and when the WTC line is running, Brooklyn.

It's too bad the WTC line is not operational during the weekend especially now that Brooklyn is exploding. I know many people that trek over there from time to time mostly on the weekend though. I wonder how many Brooklynites would come here searching for real estate if the WTC line was running ?

The PATH WTC line may not be running, but the ferry is running, at the same cost: $2.50. And, based on the times I have taken it, LOTS of people are actually aware of this and taking advantage of it. The ferry boats are almost running at capacity each way. Very cool, and super convenient.

As for Brooklynites coming here to search for real estate, that's already happening, and will continue to happen. BTW, you might not be aware, but Brooklyn has been "exploding" for quite some time. Some would argue that Brooklyn is already on the downhill side of the cool curve and has already been co-opted, which is partly why you find so many over here now.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
The ferry is wonderful alternative to the WTC line on weekends. Nice and relaxing.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
This, exactly. I've been to all parts of Jersey City, extensively, over the 8+ years that I've lived here. I don't go there often because, there's more interesting things to do a quick Path ride away. Most of Jersey City is pretty tough to get to by public transit. Easier to get to Manhattan, and when the WTC line is running, Brooklyn.

It's too bad the WTC line is not operational during the weekend especially now that Brooklyn is exploding. I know many people that trek over there from time to time mostly on the weekend though. I wonder how many Brooklynites would come here searching for real estate if the WTC line was running ?

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:37
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
What is the most depressing out of all of this is that you think you are actually helping neighborhoods like Greenville and Bergen Lafayette by hiding the truth. The neighborhood only gets better by first admitting to its problems. And the #1 problem in those neighborhoods is crime.

Don't believe me though, just look at the statistics.

http://www.areavibes.com/jersey+city- ... gen-lafayette/livability/

BL
http://www.areavibes.com/jersey+city-nj/bergen-lafayette/crime/

Greenville
http://www.areavibes.com/jersey+city-nj/greenville/crime/

DTJC
http://www.areavibes.com/jersey+city-nj/downtown/crime/

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/jersey-city/crime/
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Jersey_City-New_Jersey/crime/

I bet you didn't even click on those links and look at those crime maps though. because you walked those streets and you miraculously didn't get shot at or raped so all is good in the world. Please go on telling other families how safe it is in those areas and how the numbers are not real.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/27 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/27 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
I know a bunch of tiny little white girls that have an art gallery on Danforth

HA!! Yep between Ocean and Old Bergen Road... scary LOL!!
Resized Image

Not scary, more like not worth my time or money. Probably a million other places in the immediate area I rather be, including work.

I don't think any of us will miss you, enjoy!

Posted on: 2014/8/27 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Resized Image

Not scary, more like not worth my time or money. Probably a million other places in the immediate area I rather be, including work.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/27 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:

Not every one is scared of their own shadow, and afraid of brown people.

Wow! Nice to see anything but the accepted wisdom of dtjclist.com

I totally agree, but prepare for your reckoning.

3... 2... 1...

Posted on: 2014/8/27 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
I rest my case.

Provincial yuppies that can't recognize a good thing when they see it. Little India is a jewel in the entire state, let alone the town. Better Indian food, and more varied styles than anywhere outside the actual subcontinent. That's not worth a literal two minute walk from the JSq PATH on a weekday?

Andreas Salumeria is a another gem, in the heights. Monteleones has better pastries than the world famous Carlos in Hoboken, at better prices, and their rumcake is literally more addictive than meth.

How many people have bothered to even go to Lincoln Park, which is beautiful and vibnrant. Burger and drinks at the Park Tavern? Grits and eggs and Lou's on Ocean? The Mozz Boss in Greenville?

I'll repeat. Narrow minded, provincial little fools.

Indian friends are pretty disparaging of the restaurants in Little India, for what it's worth.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I have little reason to venture outside of DT. Most my friends live in DTJC, Hoboken, NYC, or the Jersey burbs. I knew someone that lived in Society Hill and used to visit from time to time but I'm sure that is considered fake JC.

I don't really like Indian food much so I don't see a reason to go to JSQ.

I used to get my car serviced on 440 and really liked Jollibee. I also have been to the Marshall's, Old Navy and Applebees on 440.

I have walked around the Heights a little. I didn't really find anything too appealing to me.

I wouldn't really venture into BL or Greenville outside of my car. Ocean Ave or MLK are not safe places. They just aren't.

It is way easier than getting on the PATH to walk to the myriad of things in DTJC and Hoboken that I find useful.

This board is littered with posts of people who think anything that appeals to people under 35 with money is terrible and should be stopped at all costs. There is a fear of "Hobokenization" or "Brooklynization" which is a total crock as both have areas filled with old timers paying rents too low to be logical, eating at old timey places, etc.

Are people in live in Manhattan snobs or elitists or judgmental if they don't hang out on Staten Island or in the Bronx? Or are they just realistic about what is close and convenient?

I agree with 07310. I root for the rest of the city. It will help my property value and taxes.

This is the type I talk about. Cowardly, narrow minded, and with blinders on. Unable to appreciate anything but mainstream, bland and regular. Did you even bother going to the local Italian or Polish feasts? Or is even that too scary for you?

Not venturing into BL and GV on foot is a safety issue, not a cowardly, narrow minded one. I'm sorry, how about you walk around in camden in the middle of the night - I mean, unless you are narrow minded or prejudice.

I went to college and graduate school in Newark for years. I would walk to the train station at 2AM after hanging out with fiends on MLK drive at NJIT and Rutgers. I visit friends in Harlem and Irvington, as well as many other supposedly dangerous areas. I know a bunch of tiny little white girls that have an art gallery on Danforth, and others who walk deep into Marion each evening. I know a girl in a wheelchair that does laps at the track at Lincoln Park, by herself, at night.

Not every one is scared of their own shadow, and afraid of brown people.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
...Grits and eggs and Lou's on Ocean...

http://youtu.be/uYoYPJ5uwFg?t=20s

Posted on: 2014/8/26 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I have little reason to venture outside of DT. Most my friends live in DTJC, Hoboken, NYC, or the Jersey burbs. I knew someone that lived in Society Hill and used to visit from time to time but I'm sure that is considered fake JC.

I used to get my car serviced on 440 and really liked Jollibee. I also have been to the Marshall's, Old Navy and Applebees on 440.

I have walked around the Heights a little. I didn't really find anything too appealing to me.

I wouldn't really venture into BL or Greenville outside of my car. Ocean Ave or MLK are not safe places. They just aren't.

It is way easier than getting on the PATH to walk to the myriad of things in DTJC and Hoboken that I find useful.

This board is littered with posts of people who think anything that appeals to people under 35 with money is terrible and should be stopped at all costs. There is a fear of "Hobokenization" or "Brooklynization" which is a total crock as both have areas filled with old timers paying rents too low to be logical, eating at old timey places, etc.

Are people in live in Manhattan snobs or elitists or judgmental if they don't hang out on Staten Island or in the Bronx? Or are they just realistic about what is close and convenient?

I agree with 07310. I root for the rest of the city. It will help my property value and taxes.

This is the type I talk about. Cowardly, narrow minded, and with blinders on. Unable to appreciate anything but mainstream, bland and regular. Did you even bother going to the local Italian or Polish feasts? Or is even that too scary for you?

Not venturing into BL and GV on foot is a safety issue, not a cowardly, narrow minded one. I'm sorry, how about you walk around in camden in the middle of the night - I mean, unless you are narrow minded or prejudice.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/26 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
To each their own, it's there for the asking. Different strokes for different folks. Life will still go on.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 12:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017