Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 23 »

Re: Black community responds to police shooting of unarmed black teenager by looting businesses
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
You seem to know what you're talking about.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 14:58

Re: Black community responds to police shooting of unarmed black teenager by looting businesses
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
A friend in MO has informed me that Darren Wilson will be charged next week.
Maybe we should all calm down until the outcome of the trial.

Sure, the grand jury hasn't yet finished investigating and your 'friend in MO' has inside information-the grand jury inquiry won't be finished for at least another month.

When the hospital injury report and photos are released we very well could have an end to it, although the Missouri Governor's sop to the mob by saying that 'vigorous prosecution' should occur does show the fix may well be in to railroad the cop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic ... t-dead-Michael-Brown.html

Posted on: 2014/8/27 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
A friend in MO has informed me that Darren Wilson will be charged next week.
Maybe we should all calm down until the outcome of the trial.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

You raise a good point, about the money to pay for this. It was recently discussed in an NPR segment. In NYC, the city Spends about 151 million dollars per year (!!) settling abuse lawsuits/allegations. The current thinking is that, despite their costs (to procure, maintain and store data) cameras will cut back on abusive behaviors by cops (they know they are being recorded) and could also help the city fight/battle unfounded allegations by money-hungry opportunists, thereby resulting in a net gain for the city. I wonder how much money is spent by JC settling lawsuits or allegations of police abuse/brutality. I was surprised by the number in NYC.

There is a California city that implemented these cameras several years ago. I think the statistics say it all.

"In the first year after the cameras were introduced here in February 2012, the number of complaints filed against officers fell by 88 percent compared with the previous 12 months. Use of force by officers fell by almost 60 percent over the same period."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/us/ ... meras.html?pagewanted=all

Posted on: 2014/8/27 2:18

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/8/27 2:36:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Black cop shoots and kills unarmed white teen. No riots. No outrage. No Sharpton. Little to no media coverage.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2 ... standard-in-coverage-of-/

Media Double standard/media bias: confirmed.

The media bias is just absolutely sickening.

The US doesn't even collect proper stats on "justified" police homicides - no consistent, independent review process - never mind clear and consistent rules and training on when the use of deadly force is justified.

A good read is here:

http://readersupportednews.org/opinio ... e-american-police-killing

I agree with this. These homicides - justified or not - absolutely should be reported. I have long supported making police wear cameras on their badges.

Not only that, the videos should be uploaded to a secure third party place so the cops can't destroy them if they are bad.

I like the idea of cameras. If we can agree on something, there's hope. Think that's what the focus needs to be - solutions, way forward, and not all that other cr*p.

Cameras alone aren't enough. I know of many cases where the video was requested but the response was the camera conveniently "malfunctioned" or the video otherwise wasn't available.

The tape has to be uploaded to an independent third party server in realtime, so it cannot be tampered with. It has to be stored where someone cannot access and destroy it. Yes this is not free, but considering how much money is being spent on military gear for cops, I think we can allocate the money appropriately.

Of course, all of this has nothing to do with extremely biased media coverage, but I agree it is worthwhile to talk about an actual solution.

You raise a good point, about the money to pay for this. It was recently discussed in an NPR segment. In NYC, the city Spends about 151 million dollars per year (!!) settling abuse lawsuits/allegations. The current thinking is that, despite their costs (to procure, maintain and store data) cameras will cut back on abusive behaviors by cops (they know they are being recorded) and could also help the city fight/battle unfounded allegations by money-hungry opportunists, thereby resulting in a net gain for the city. I wonder how much money is spent by JC settling lawsuits or allegations of police abuse/brutality. I was surprised by the number in NYC.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
@JCman8 - uploading real-time video to a cloud server is pretty viable, and probably wouldn't cost any local PD a cent. Any number of big corporations would be happy to provide the service for free to law enforcement if asked - Verizon, AT&T, Google, Facebook, Amazon...among others.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Black cop shoots and kills unarmed white teen. No riots. No outrage. No Sharpton. Little to no media coverage.

The US doesn't even collect proper stats on "justified" police homicides - no consistent, independent review process - never mind clear and consistent rules and training on when the use of deadly force is justified.

A good read is here:

I agree with this. These homicides - justified or not - absolutely should be reported. I have long supported making police wear cameras on their badges.

Not only that, the videos should be uploaded to a secure third party place so the cops can't destroy them if they are bad.

I like the idea of cameras. If we can agree on something, there's hope. Think that's what the focus needs to be - solutions, way forward, and not all that other cr*p.

Cameras alone aren't enough. I know of many cases where the video was requested but the response was the camera conveniently "malfunctioned" or the video otherwise wasn't available.

The tape has to be uploaded to an independent third party server in realtime, so it cannot be tampered with. It has to be stored where someone cannot access and destroy it. Yes this is not free, but considering how much money is being spent on military gear for cops, I think we can allocate the money appropriately.

Of course, all of this has nothing to do with extremely biased media coverage, but I agree it is worthwhile to talk about an actual solution.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
No doubt life sucks for some - The '3 strikes you're out rule' sucks (3 felony offences gets you 25 years automatically in some States - meaning if you steal a car 3 times over a period you'll get 25 years)

Once again its our poorer communities that lack non-skilled employment opportunities, education programs and just productive options for the young between the ages of 15 -19 years of age that cause the spiralling effect to anti-social behavior, committing crimes and finally imprisonment.

This kid that got killed was on the spiral of 'self destruction and sense of no worth' - What future did this kid actually have; most likely no direction from parents, no mentor, no prospects and with a limited education and most likely no aptitude for any employment outside factory / labor work or simple customer service.

Its very sad and tragic that a community and government sit on their hands and lets it happen, then complain when siht hits the fan and places the end of a life on a cop just going out doing his job - and on this occasion I believe, without malice or prejudice!

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

A good read is here:

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The US is the WORLD LEADING jailers - It was in the link.

That surprise you, given it's pretty much an unregulated privatized industry? Once you're in, you're in.

Prisons are a business - But the Courts and legislation isn't !

As in any business, follow the value chain & follow the profit. Does it profit Hudson County to have more or less prisoners? I'd bet it's more. So the incentive is...

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

That surprise you, given it's pretty much an unregulated privatized industry? Once you're in, you're in.

Prisons are a business - But the Courts and legislation isn't !

Crime, race and incarceration is a highly fuelled topic, but many will ignore statistics, facts and reality to push their cause of discrimination. In reality the Courts only put people in prison void of your color and solely on the crime you had committed

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The US is the WORLD LEADING jailers - It was in the link ... Other countries might have high violence, but often its in war torn countries where there isn't any law enforcement - As for Mexico the ratio isn't there!

Yes but that isn't what you said. I agree we are the world leading jailers. A large part of this is because of the War on Drugs. Those are mostly nonviolent offenders.

But this is what you said:

"The most violent countries in the world (per ratio) is the US and Russia"

That is just a joke. We are probably middle of the pack at best in terms of most violent countries.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The US is the WORLD LEADING jailers - It was in the link ... Other countries might have high violence, but often its in war torn countries where there isn't any law enforcement - As for Mexico the ratio isn't there!

We are a violent nation, no excuses, we just are as people don't go to prison for dropping litter ... you have to commit an offence serious enough to throw you into prison.

Reality sucks, but the facts are there !

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

A good read is here:

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Make what you will with these statistics and facts:

http://www.americanprogress.org/issue ... ice-in-the-united-states/

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/profiles/NJ.html

The most violent countries in the world (per ratio) is the US and Russia - Our social behavior and civility is crap and we are the worst, yet we love to show our influence and social justice throughout the world via our military - Note: 10% of all prisoners are ex-military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

These statistics show that certain groups commit many more crimes than others. For those who have walked around in bad areas, they aren't particularly surprising.

Also your thing about Russia and the US is not supported by your links and is laughably false. Try walking around war torn Africa and tell me it isn't more violent there. Or more local, try Mexico. This is a recent example of what happens there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_San_Fernando_massacre

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Make what you will with these statistics and facts:

http://www.americanprogress.org/issue ... ice-in-the-united-states/

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/profiles/NJ.html

The most violent countries in the world (per ratio) is the US and Russia - Our social behavior and civility is crap and we are the worst, yet we love to show our influence and social justice throughout the world via our military - Note: 10% of all prisoners are ex-military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

Posted on: 2014/8/27 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Media bias is because of he history of race relations between blacks and authority??

No, media bias is due to the political leanings of the liberal media elite. Same as university liberal bias, due to the political leanings of university staff.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
There is bias because of the history of race relations between blacks and authority. Hundreds of black people have been killed by white authorities because of the color of their skin.

It will take a very long time for people of color to be able to feel that a white police shooting a black youth is not racially motivated.

While I feel that there is a lot of shortcomings in the black culture, history weighs very heavily in this

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/27 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

I actually find the point-scoring on media bias - at the expense of the homicide of a teen - more sickening and bizarre. The US doesn't even collect proper stats on "justified" police homicides - no consistent, independent review process - never mind clear and consistent rules and training on when the use of deadly force is justified.

The fact we accept this in the US as "normal" - is much more sickening and disturbing to me - than any media or political spin over race. A good read is here:

Posted on: 2014/8/27 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is bias because of the history of race relations between blacks and authority. Hundreds of black people have been killed by white authorities because of the color of their skin.

It will take a very long time for people of color to be able to feel that a white police shooting a black youth is not racially motivated.

While I feel that there is a lot of shortcomings in the black culture, history weighs very heavily in this

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/27 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/26 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/8/26 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
The right wing narrative is unravelling as audio of the 11 fired shots is released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOB2uTQjM0

What kind of a marksman lets off 11 shots at close range and only manages to hit 6 times? Especially as we have so often been reminded that the victim is 6'4" 300 lbs, could not have moved very fast and would be a veritable barn door for a target.
Why did the officer pause and then shoot again?

Did you miss the part where they say it's an unsubstantiated report? And at no point have the police stated how many shots were fired. So I'm not sure what 'narrative' you're talking about. Do recall that several 'eyewitnesses' said Brown was shot in the back, which were proven to be lies by the autopsy the family had authorized.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The right wing narrative is unravelling as audio of the 11 fired shots is released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOB2uTQjM0

What kind of a marksman lets off 11 shots at close range and only manages to hit 6 times? Especially as we have so often been reminded that the victim is 6'4" 300 lbs, could not have moved very fast and would be a veritable barn door for a target.
Why did the officer pause and then shoot again?

Posted on: 2014/8/26 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Good point. Once the circus leaves town the residents will be left in an even more depressed city. A year from now most people will be like "Ferguson?"

Actually a year from now Ferggie will be forgoten.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 15:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Good point. Once the circus leaves town the residents will be left in an even more depressed city. A year from now most people will be like "Ferguson?"

Posted on: 2014/8/26 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
In the end, the reporters and the cameras will be leaving. Michael Brown is still dead and we won't hear much till the trial, if there is one, and the aftermath. The town and the people will still be there. The pundits will milk the people till their usefulness runs out.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
This thread proves the dtjc newbies are making JC more like Florida where Not every republican is a racist....but every racist is a republican. So all of you out there considering Jersey City for a new place to dwell please pay close attention to this board specifically this thread, these will be your neighbors.

People who hate blacks, Latinos and not too fond of gays. Downtown Jersey City is not attracting hip artist, but racist crazy people who believe they are better than most. So the next time you want to start a thread is this area safe? re-read some of these comments and decide for yourself. I will enjoy my sanity on the hill.

Do you really think that the crap posted here represents the approximate 36,000 people who live in 07302? You consistently, and in my opinion childishly, find ways to knock dtjc.
Let me guess, someone you liked in dtjc told you two of the three big lies and you believed him.

You idiots seem to think that the 2% of Greenville drug dealers, pimps and whores represents the 54k folks up here, so why not have these ass wipes be the face of dtjc, they seem to have the loudest voices so I give them the crown. Don't like it? tell someone who gives a f*&(

Funny thing about thugs - they don't really leave you alone. Kind of like how MB attacked some guy 10 minutes before getting shot. That's why you don't want to live in a place like Greenville. Now, Republicans, while we may say stuff you may not like, generally leave you alone as long as you're not a criminal.

Also, about this: Quote:

People who hate blacks, Latinos and not too fond of gays.
Have you been to DTJC lately? A ton of gays around. Anyone who rabidly hates gays isn't living here.

Seems like JC embraces diversity, except when it comes to Republicans, then you see the intolerance of those who demand tolerance appear.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
This thread proves the dtjc newbies are making JC more like Florida where Not every republican is a racist....but every racist is a republican. So all of you out there considering Jersey City for a new place to dwell please pay close attention to this board specifically this thread, these will be your neighbors.

People who hate blacks, Latinos and not too fond of gays. Downtown Jersey City is not attracting hip artist, but racist crazy people who believe they are better than most. So the next time you want to start a thread is this area safe? re-read some of these comments and decide for yourself. I will enjoy my sanity on the hill.

Do you really think that the crap posted here represents the approximate 36,000 people who live in 07302? You consistently, and in my opinion childishly, find ways to knock dtjc.
Let me guess, someone you liked in dtjc told you two of the three big lies and you believed him.

You idiots seem to think that the 2% of Greenville drug dealers, pimps and whores represents the 54k folks up here, so why not have these ass wipes be the face of dtjc, they seem to have the loudest voices so I give them the crown. Don't like it? tell someone who gives a f*&(

Funny thing about thugs - they don't really leave you alone. Kind of like how MB attacked some guy 10 minutes before getting shot. That's why you don't want to live in a place like Greenville. Now, Republicans, while we may say stuff you may not like, generally leave you alone as long as you're not a criminal.

Also, about this: Quote:

People who hate blacks, Latinos and not too fond of gays.
Have you been to DTJC lately? A ton of gays around. Anyone who rabidly hates gays isn't living here. Though, then again, perhaps labeling those of us that don't like MB types as sheet wearing racists with swastika tattoos is perhaps ridiculous. DTJC is pretty freakin' diverse. And I'm willing to bet that not a single person in this thread has any issue with a preppy black guy who works a normal professional job.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

you can break it down to facts but if there's no meaningful dialogue, compassion and empathy we're just going around and around back to the imaginary battle lines

the questions is, what're we gonna do about it?

Maybe now the Ferguson community will learn to think before they act. Actions have consequences. Maybe they will hold their "eyewitness" accountable who went on national TV and lied about what he "saw." After all, it is a fact that Brown was not shot in the back, as the "witness" claimed.

The community looted over 70 businesses, and burned down 3. No, they can't rely on the evil white man to rebuild their town for them.

No reputable business owner would touch Ferguson with a 10 foot pole. Can anyone blame them? After all, we've seen just how little it takes for the community to go on a wild free for all. And given how the media largely gives them a pass for this behavior, who would ever want to open a business in Ferguson again?

Agreed. I would love to see what Ferguson looks like 5 years from now. I'm guessing that businesses and the middle class will flee making it even more of a slum.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 14:27

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 23 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017