Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Historic Downtown Jersey City and Hoboken are locked in battle for most outstanding downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
DTJC's downtown is clearly on the rise.

However, the two biggest things holding it back and which will continue to hold it back:

1. Bland, corporate waterfront with few parks and little to do;
2. 3-4 sprawling, fenced in parking lots around the Gregory Towers and Paulus Hook Apartment Tower which break off the Grove Plaza area from the waterfront neighborhoods and break up the continuity of downtown.

Things like "too many Dollar Stores" are temporary issues that, if they are indeed problems, will sort themselves out. But the above two problems are foundational and will require action/ pressure from City Hall.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 13:06

Re: Historic Downtown Jersey City and Hoboken are locked in battle for most outstanding downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Yeah bro, a Fridays would be awesome.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Affliction? And then Abercrombie in the other thread? This board cracks me up. At least I feel fashionable.

50 cent wings would be awesome. Would also prefer the rumored Fridays to the discount stores. It's a win/win- bros will scare off hipsters, property values increase, and who doesn't love wings?

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Why anyone is even getting upset over a meaningless poll backed by a group with very few followers is beyond me. If you like where you live, cool! If you don't, go somewhere else!

Sheeple!

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was raised in Hoboken and Washington St and Newark St were always the shopping districts packed by shoppers. However, if you wanted to do serious shopping, you left Hoboken and went to JC and shopped at Newark Avenue and then Journal Square. Fantastic stores and places to eat.

What are you talking about? Unless you are homeless and looking to update the look of your shopping cart, no one shops on Newark Avenue. In fact, most of those stores that sell junk are always empty.

People shop at Newport, Target, or drive elsewhere.

exactly, i honestly not sure what yvonne is smoking. If you want to do serious shopping you goto newark ave and jsq in jersey city? shopping for what? used mattresses?

I am not one to defend Yvonne, but seriously guys: she explicitly and clearly said she was referring to olden times. Probably referring to 50 years ago, or even further back.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was raised in Hoboken and Washington St and Newark St were always the shopping districts packed by shoppers. However, if you wanted to do serious shopping, you left Hoboken and went to JC and shopped at Newark Avenue and then Journal Square. Fantastic stores and places to eat.

What are you talking about? Unless you are homeless and looking to update the look of your shopping cart, no one shops on Newark Avenue. In fact, most of those stores that sell junk are always empty.

exactly, i honestly not sure what yvonne is smoking. If you want to do serious shopping you goto newark ave and jsq in jersey city? shopping for what? used mattresses?

Does anyone read on this board? Let me guess.. NO! She is speaking past tense, not now.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
After having lived in DTJC for 10 years I moved to Hoboken about a year ago and I can honestly say I have no regrets. That Bro crowd you all speak of doesn't live there, some of them show up at night and on the weekend but generally it's young families and professionals who live here. The post-college crowd can't afford it anymore from what I am seeing. Wait until JC has a more robust downtown with bars like Porta and such, you will see the same out of town crowd come in as it becomes more of a destination like Hoboken.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
I agree with DA, although it doesn't mean that we can't strive to improve the city as a whole.
For me it is the people in Hoboken that make it unbearable, unfortunately a lot of the bros are now moving here. Soon it'll be nothing but sports bars, affliction t-shirts and 50c wings.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Sorry, Jersey City, but Hoboken has one of the greatest downtown's in of all New Jersey? at least according to the American Planning Association.

More

While Hoboken wins awards, we make fun of them for being too commercialized, bland, guido, etc.

It's too bad while we laugh at Hoboken, everyone else is laughing at us.

Kind of how some people pretend that they prefer JC to Manhattan and of course it isn't because decent housing there is far more expensive. Look, the reality check is that Manhattan > Hoboken > DTJC >>>>> the rest of JC. Prices, of course, correspond. Sure, I guess we can pretend that some day JSQ or the heights or even Greenv-- Greenvill-- Greenville (sorry, had trouble getting that one out) is going to become AWESOME and every bit as good as DTJC but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Sorry, Jersey City, but Hoboken has one of the greatest downtown's in of all New Jersey? at least according to the American Planning Association.

More

While Hoboken wins awards, we make fun of them for being too commercialized, bland, guido, etc.

It's too bad while we laugh at Hoboken, everyone else is laughing at us.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

More

Posted on: 2014/9/29 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i think there are just two dollar stores left

Posted on: 2014/9/26 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
Jersey City's "downtown" is Journal Square which is at least 10+ years away from away from being NJ's greatest downtown.

our downtown is a neighborhood shopping district like Bergen (McGinley Sqr), Central, MKL, Monticello, Ocean, Newark (western) and Westside aves.

I agree, if they can get Journal Square somewhat close to its original self then we will have a serious downtown scene. Newark ave dtjc is a place for pizza and toilet paper, which I can get in all the other areas you mentioned..

Jq square is still 5 yrs from any noticeable improvement in businesses and restaurants.
Journal squared will help tremendously. As for your comments about dtjc, we are oversaturated with pizza places and dollar stores for toilet paper - please tell your neighbors to stop going to these dollar stores if you want them to go out of business. I would insert something negative about greenville here but that is what the news on nj.com is for and i wouldn't want to take business away from them

Posted on: 2014/9/26 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
err huh? I thought downtown in jersey city means the newport mall?

anyway what is the point of all this? Does JC get money if we win?

Posted on: 2014/9/26 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
Jersey City's "downtown" is Journal Square which is at least 10+ years away from away from being NJ's greatest downtown.

our downtown is a neighborhood shopping district like Bergen (McGinley Sqr), Central, MKL, Monticello, Ocean, Newark (western) and Westside aves.

I agree, if they can get Journal Square somewhat close to its original self then we will have a serious downtown scene. Newark ave dtjc is a place for pizza and toilet paper, which I can get in all the other areas you mentioned..

Yes you are correct, and the toilet paper is made from recycled sand paper. Tell your friends and neighbors.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/26 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

In this case, I hope you never give any of my visitors directions, you'll confuse the heck out of them

Posted on: 2014/9/26 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/26 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
If Morristown beats us, that would be blasphemy.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
VOTE at www.njplanning.org/news/peoples-choice-awards

Hoboken, Jersey City finalists in search for N.J.'s greatest downtowns ending Friday

By Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal
September 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Does Hudson County have one of North Jersey's greatest downtowns?

If you think Hoboken or Jersey City have the best downtown areas in northern Jersey, make sure to vote for your hometown in the American Planning Association's New Jersey Chapter's (APA-NJ) search for the Garden State's greatest downtowns today or tomorrow.

Voting closes for the People's Choice portion of the contest, which is part of APA-NJ's Great Places in New Jersey campaign, tomorrow, Sept. 26.

As of Sept. 16, Hoboken held the top spot, followed by Morristown, Jersey City and Montclair in a lineup chosen by planning and design professionals from a pool of Jerseyans' nominations.

What made the Mile Square City's downtown so great? APA-NJ said one nominator said Hoboken was "?Incredibly walkable -- very large number of shops, outdoor cafes, bars -- great waterfront parks and walkways with the best views of New York...."

Downtown Jersey City, on the other hand, stood out for its ?Top notch food, incredible local stores blend perfectly with an eclectic mix of people...always has events, is very dog friendly and always leaves you feeling great.?

APA-NJ is searching in central and southern Jersey, too. As of Sept. 16, central Jersey's candidates were ranked Somerville, Red Bank and Asbury Park. South Jersey's finalists? Ocean City, Collingswood and Millville, currently in that order.

The three area winners will be announced early in October and recognized at local ceremonies before being added to the Map of Great Places in New Jersey.

Vote for your favorite downtown here before Friday, Sept. 26.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ntowns_ending_friday.html

Posted on: 2014/9/26 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It's true that "downtown" JC has a stronger identity, in terms of more of a sense of place, and knowing when you are "there", and IMO more interesting and diverse streetscapes. Hoboken is all downtown just going by how built-up it is, although east of Willow Avenue and south of SIT, there are more older buildings and the historic hotel and business district.

Alas, I have to vote for Hoboken as a practical matter - living in the Heights I can easily walk to downtown Hoboken (or bike, and avail myself of the elevator at the 9th Street HBLR on the return trip).

Posted on: 2014/9/2 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken is known as the Mile Square city but is actually about 2 miles square in size, go figure. You could fit about 10 Hobokens in Jersey City, which I'm sure just the thought of that will send JCListers into a frenzy. Enjoy!

Posted on: 2014/8/25 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Kind of like a Miss Fat America contest

Posted on: 2014/8/25 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
does hoboken really have a downtown...it is so small

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:49

Historic Downtown Jersey City and Hoboken are locked in battle for most outstanding downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Does Hoboken or Jersey City have the best downtown in North Jersey?

Historic Downtown Jersey City and Hoboken are locked in battle for most outstanding downtown in Northern New Jersey in 2014

The Jersey Journal
August 25, 2014

Which North Jersey city has the best downtown area?

Hoboken's Washington Street is certainly impressive, as is Historic Downtown Jersey City. But there's also competition outside Hudson County ? Montclair Center, for example, or Downtown Morristown.

The New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association is posing the question to the public in its 2014 People's Choice Awards for outstanding downtowns.

In July, the APA-NJ invited the public to nominate its favorite downtowns and then had panelists select a group of 10 cities as finalists. From this group, three towns will earn the distinction of having the best downtown in North, Central and South Jersey.

You can help your local neighborhood by voting at www.njplanning.org/news/peoples-choice-awards.

The panelists considered how well a city's downtown area functions as the centerpiece of everyday life for local residents, its reputation beyond the community's boundaries, available options for transportation, and support from community members to gain, maintain and develop businesses.

"Hoboken has become the fastest-growing city in New Jersey because people want to live in vibrant ... transit-rich communities," Mayor Dawn Zimmer told The Jersey Journal. "We're honored to be a finalist in this competition to recognize the great downtowns in New Jersey."

The APA named Hoboken's Washington Street a Great Street in 2010 and Hoboken's south waterfront a Great Place in New Jersey in 2013.

But Jersey City is coming on strong.

"We are excited that Jersey City is a finalist for this award that recognizes smart urban planning for downtowns," Mayor Steve Fulop said. "As we continue to redevelop areas of Jersey City such as Journal Square, McGinley Square and Bergen-Lafayette, we will use thoughtful urban planning to create a greater sense of community and be a design leader."

On Tuesday, the city unveiled a new pedestrian plaza on a stretch of Newark Avenue by the Grove Street PATH station.

The online poll will close at midnight on Sept. 26 and participants can only vote once. The winner, which will be announced early in October, will receive a plaque and bragging rights.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017