Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: Jersey City: Newark Avenue - Pedestrian Plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
It's a beautiful night. The market is going. Parents pick up their kids from Karate and eat slices at the pic nic tables. If you haven't checked out the Pedestrian Plaza, tonight you'll be in for a treat. No Tour de France, althought several maillots jaunes.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Sunday night, I saw a young couple parked awkwardly at the corner of Newark and Erie, unloading groceries and baby gear from their car, cursing whoever approved a plan that makes them lug a carload of stuff all the way down the block, when they'd grown used to the convenience of pulling up right in front of their door.

I had never thought of that.

We've heard concerns from businesses, but has anyone else hear from the residents of Newark Street? Is the schlepping a reasonable trade-off to live on a more peaceful street?

Posted on: 2014/8/25 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Heights Brat, a name that suits you well, another example of attacking a person who has another point of view that does not match yours. Since you live in the Heights according to your name, you have no idea what people will face especially when school parents and schools buses take Jersey and Newark to P.S. #3 and Middle School #4. Now there is talk of making Jersey Avenue leading into LSP into road. Just how much traffic can a place support before it stops? It doesn't bother you. You just like to throw your venom and live up to your name of Heights Brat.

Let's not let the truth get in the way of YOUR continual negative rants about how horrid everything is and it doesn't fit YOUR idea of Utopia. I have lived in the Heights where there are clusters of schools and any rational person learns to cope (except YOU). I reside in another area now, but not downtown, and the problems are still the same. YOU are just a bore. And judging by the posts by others I am not the only one. And by the way old girl, YOU have used this post before. And just to prove YOUR insanity, YOU can bore everyone with YOUR rants but I can't spew forth or have YOU forgotten this is a democracy and not the world according to Yvonne?

Have a nice life and remember YOUR kind of depression and obsession and stress kills. Take time and smell the roses and enjoy the coffee. But then again, since this is YOU we are talking about YOU probably hate roses because they make YOU sneeze and attract bees and the coffee probably makes YOU break out in hives. YOU are just a totally joyless person.

ding ding ding ding, we have a winner!

I've said this before, but Mayor Fulop could literally single-handedly develop a cure for cancer and Yvonne would find some negative spin to it. Along with her choir boy Fletcher and some other failed politicians they will never find the positive and always look for the negative in anything the city does. Ultimately, I pity these people. Not for losing horribly in local elections, but for their obsession with those who are simply better than them at life.

Trafficageddon? Nonexistant! And this weekend, I drove to eat at Box and found a parking spot after about 3 minutes of looking.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Picture from pedestrian plaza due to the redirected traffic:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
[/quote]

Of course YOU would post a letter like this, it is something YOU would write if YOU got to YOUR keyboard first. YOU should form YOUR own network, the NNW, Negative News Network.

[/quote]

LMFAOOOOOOOOO Negative News Network hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted on: 2014/8/25 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
While I agree on the traffic enforcement, your neighborhood is not yours. It belongs to the entire city.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Ultimately the goal should be to make DTJC a not very good option for people who are just "cutting through". Slow down the cars, enforce the traffic laws and make the streets more for locals or people who are here to shop and are not flying through our neighborhoods. The local tunnel entrances should be for us. The Columbus Ave. Exit should be for us to get home from the shore or wherever. Lets make it so that it takes forever to get "through" Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Believe it or not, there was a time when streets were used for people, where the public could assemble for socializing and commerce. That's what streets were designed for (I know, totally insane!). It wasn't until the invention and inevitable acceptance of the horseless carriage that roads were developed to keep people safe - on the STREETS. Relax yourself and enjoy this small bit of history repeating itself, as we "take back the streets."

Posted on: 2014/8/25 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoraJ wrote:
Is Yvonne the new Sonia of Newport?

Nah. Yvonne has been at this gloom and doom stuff for the last 40 years. No one and nothing is good enough yet she can't get anyone to listen to her anymore. By the way, whatever happened to Sonia?

Quote:
I'm all for this! And I have a car. I never drive down that stretch unless picking up pizza from two boots, but that can be easily detoured.

Like I said, I was down there and it was quite nice. Does it have kinks that need to be worked out? Yep. But a couple of business owners I heard talking about it were hopeful it would catch on. Their only gripe was that this was not done around May or June to give it a longer term chance to catch on.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
At least I use my real name and do not hide behind a phony name. Here is the definition of what some people are:pho?ny also pho?ney (f?'n?) adj. pho?ni?er, pho?ni?est
a. Not genuine or real; counterfeit: a phony credit card.
b. False; spurious: a phony name.

I state what I believe and use my real name. Attacking me by using a phony name is sad, shows a lack of courage.

Wake up Yvonne, this is the 21st century. No one on the internet knows you're a dog! One of the most important documents in US history, Common Sense, was anonymously published. Real names don't matter, what matter is what you say, and people can judge you and me entirely by what we say, and they have. I'm perfectly OK with people here or in any other internet forum judging me by what I've said over the years. The fact that I'm a dog who can type should not make what I say any more or less cogent. You have chosen to be a "public figure", the fact that others don't does not rob them of the right to express themselves. So worry about your content, not about other members identities or lack thereof.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
At least I use my real name and do not hide behind a phony name. Here is the definition of what some people are:pho?ny also pho?ney (f?'n?) adj. pho?ni?er, pho?ni?est
a. Not genuine or real; counterfeit: a phony credit card.
b. False; spurious: a phony name.

I state what I believe and use my real name. Attacking me by using a phony name is sad, shows a lack of courage.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
They need to patrol the plaza a bit better. Drunk yuppies are using the picnic tables as loitering areas and almost started a brawl when they were being put away.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, Yvonne. Prepare to have your mind blown away... Even suburbs are moving towards making their layouts and services more friendly for pedestrians and focusing on pedestrians, bike riders, etc. Get with the times.

Behold Lakewood, OH!

Posted on: 2014/8/23 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
JJ article on the adjustment to reopen Erie at Newark:

Article

can somebody please interpret that sign? 12am is midnight. so the street is closed from midnight Saturday to midnight Saturday, repeat on Sunday?

if they mean 12pm, why the hell can't they just say "noon"?

(judging by our Mayor's posts on social media, there is no proofreader at City Hall)

12a-12 midnight is rather straight forward.

this thread would suggest otherwise.

Saturday 12a-12 midnight is, literally, "midnight Saturday to midnight Saturday"

it makes no sense whatsoever.

meanwhile, in related "great idea, lousy execution" news, all of those new stop signs are still not accompanied by painted streets. the pedestrian plaza detour is sending more people down Erie, to blow right through the sign at 1st Street.

the excuse for not painting then was cold weather. what's the excuse now?

Posted on: 2014/8/23 15:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is Yvonne the new Sonia of Newport?

I'm all for this! And I have a car. I never drive down that stretch unless picking up pizza from two boots, but that can be easily detoured.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this is an excellent idea and effort. though, I hope its haphazard / poor implementation does not sink it. most of the inconveniences can be worked out if we see how it is done well elsewhere (best practices.) some is inherent as the city cannot in the short term re-design and rebuild the the street, which could make it more inviting to the non-motor vehicle uses. as usual, it should listen and act on many of the communities ideas. so, I guess city should get an "A" for effort and initiative and a "C-" for planning and implementation. beats those gigantic planters installed years back that further reduced sidewalk space.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Heights Brat, a name that suits you well, another example of attacking a person who has another point of view that does not match yours. Since you live in the Heights according to your name, you have no idea what people will face especially when school parents and schools buses take Jersey and Newark to P.S. #3 and Middle School #4. Now there is talk of making Jersey Avenue leading into LSP into road. Just how much traffic can a place support before it stops? It doesn't bother you. You just like to throw your venom and live up to your name of Heights Brat.

Let's not let the truth get in the way of YOUR continual negative rants about how horrid everything is and it doesn't fit YOUR idea of Utopia. I have lived in the Heights where there are clusters of schools and any rational person learns to cope (except YOU). I reside in another area now, but not downtown, and the problems are still the same. YOU are just a bore. And judging by the posts by others I am not the only one. And by the way old girl, YOU have used this post before. And just to prove YOUR insanity, YOU can bore everyone with YOUR rants but I can't spew forth or have YOU forgotten this is a democracy and not the world according to Yvonne?

Have a nice life and remember YOUR kind of depression and obsession and stress kills. Take time and smell the roses and enjoy the coffee. But then again, since this is YOU we are talking about YOU probably hate roses because they make YOU sneeze and attract bees and the coffee probably makes YOU break out in hives. YOU are just a totally joyless person.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You objected to the fact that another person has a different point of view and I posted his view. Who makes you the guardian of what should be posted? There is a person in charge of that and it isn't you.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I didn't write the letter, I just post it. You act as though no one can have an opinion different than yours. You don't want to live in a free society with different opinions, you prefer a dictatorship, bodhipooh, where you can scream and rant against people who think.

And, I repeat: did you READ and COMPREHEND the letter?? I never railed against any opinion, nor did I scream or rant. I stated a fact: the letter is not claiming that traffic has been affected by the closure. The letter writer simply stated he can envision traffic being affected. Nothing in his letter is based on actual occurrences, or eyewitness testimony. It was all conjecture and theories. Until we see traffic being affected, or some other issue(s), I think the pedestrian plaza should be kept in place and enjoyed. Apparently, in case you haven't noticed, you are in the MINORITY. People, and businesses, are quite happy about it.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/23 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I didn't write the letter, I just post it. You act as though no one can have an opinion different than yours. You don't want to live in a free society with different opinions, you prefer a dictatorship, bodhipooh, where you can scream and rant against people who think.

Of course YOU would post a letter like this, it is something YOU would write if YOU got to YOUR keyboard first. YOU should form YOUR own network, the NNW, Negative News Network.

It is YOU who do not value anyone else's opinion. We MUST look and value YOUR genius on everything negative that anyone may want to try because it just may move us forward. YOU want to squash ideas because they do not jive with what YOU think. YOU are the one who wants a dictatorship where everything is run according to YOUR edicts.

I heard that YOU told the council that they knew nothing and YOU knew everything at the last council meeting. The council is unacceptable to YOU because they haven't spent the last 40 years in a dark room consumed with all things negative. Yet YOU are the one that is unelectable. WHAT DOES THAT SAY YVONNE.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/22 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
letter to the editor on street closing:
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... traffic.html#incart_river

Did you read it? If so, did you actually COMPREHEND what he wrote?? It was all speculation. At no time did he say he has witnessed "worsened traffic conditions" or any traffic backups. If, and when, we witness those, we can review and take action. As of right now, several days in, none of your doom and gloom omens have come to be. GIVE IT A REST.

You remind me of those looney crazies proclaiming the end of the world. When that fails to materialize, they come up with a rationalization as to why it didn't happen and move on to something else. Lucky for you, you already have other things to keep you preoccupied: taxes, abatements and parking! Carry on.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/22 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

letsgomets wrote:
I like this pedestrian plaza so far but it could be a lot better. All the construction going on makes it look a little messy or dingy, especially at night. Once Porta and the other bars/restaurants open it should look nicer.

Speaking of night, I think it they want the plaza to look more appealing they should consider adding more lighting. They should also consider painting the street a lighter color.

There aren't going to be any sorts of changes to the street until after they determine if it is permanent. Even then, it's a still a road most of the week so I don't know that they'll be doing much.

The buildings, I agree it looks pretty shabby with all the construction. On the other hand, look at all the construction! It will be a much better area in a few short months (or maybe next year sometime, after all it is JC).

Posted on: 2014/8/22 16:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/20 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
I like this pedestrian plaza so far but it could be a lot better. All the construction going on makes it look a little messy or dingy, especially at night. Once Porta and the other bars/restaurants open it should look nicer.

Speaking of night, I think it they want the plaza to look more appealing they should consider adding more lighting. They should also consider painting the street a lighter color.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

Article

can somebody please interpret that sign? 12am is midnight. so the street is closed from midnight Saturday to midnight Saturday, repeat on Sunday?

(judging by our Mayor's posts on social media, there is no proofreader at City Hall)

12a-12 midnight is rather straight forward.

this thread would suggest otherwise.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
They mean to say Noon to Midnight on Saturday and Sunday.
We are paying someone who produced that wording for the sign, and we are paying someone who made those signs and we are paying someone to install them.
Judging from the comments concerning the wording of the signs and the comprehension of the posters, I guess I am not surprised they turned out like they did.
And you want to be the Sixth Borough.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

Article

12a-12 midnight is rather straight forward. You cannot say 12am since that would need to be noted by a connotation that it implies Sunday. As such, they are stating that it will be closed from Friday at 3pm through Sunday at midnight.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 19:31
Dos A Cero

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

They probably mean midnight-midnight, or "all day long". Probably could have made things more simple by listing it like this:

3:00 p.m. to 11:59 p.m., Monday-Friday
24 hours - Saturday-Sunday

Posted on: 2014/8/21 19:04

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact