Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: "sixth borough" - no thanks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
6th boro=

Wannabe
Poser, follower, a charlatan of sorts. One who copies or immitates all or most of the aspects dealing with their idol. They may wish to have certain clothing, skills, vocabulary, etc., of their idols instead of their own. Most likely a wannabe is lacking in self confidence and is looking for guidance.

You just described 85% of this message board.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
6th boro=

Wannabe
Poser, follower, a charlatan of sorts. One who copies or immitates all or most of the aspects dealing with their idol. They may wish to have certain clothing, skills, vocabulary, etc., of their idols instead of their own. Most likely a wannabe is lacking in self confidence and is looking for guidance.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
No, you're still off. I live downtown, in a nice building. It has most of that stuff you mentioned. But in no way is it "luxury". I refuse to use that word for my lifestyle until my man Jeeves is waking me with fresh OJ and an ironed copy of the Times every morning.

The fact that a realtor calls a building "luxury" isn't exactly convincing. It's like a car salesman selling you the "deluxe" model because it includes floor mats.

please go to a homeless shelter and tell everyone there that you live in a building with a concierge but do not consider it a luxury building.

using the car example, its like owning a BMW and telling everyone it is not a luxury car. Yes, it is no benz but it's still a bmw...

Posted on: 2014/8/20 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
No, you're still off. I live downtown, in a nice building. It has most of that stuff you mentioned. But in no way is it "luxury". I refuse to use that word for my lifestyle until my man Jeeves is waking me with fresh OJ and an ironed copy of the Times every morning.

The fact that a realtor calls a building "luxury" isn't exactly convincing. It's like a car salesman selling you the "deluxe" model because it includes floor mats.

To each their own. 99% of people in this area, including my city friends, refer to the buildings in DTJC with all of the amenities as luxury buildings. I'm also sure the other 99% of JC, Brooklyn, Hokoken, etc etc would agree. The other 1% can continue to refer to this as slumming it in the 6th Borough. The rest of us will enjoy it as is.

Your examples are luxuries too...they're not mutually exclusive. You guys really do have to get your narrow minded heads out of your asses.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/20 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
rofl. Oh man, the avoidance of telling it like it is on this board is hilarious.

First of all, there are gradients of luxury. Those being driven around in a rolls royce and taking private helicopters do in fact have a luxurious life and are living in luxury.

However, someone living in a concierge building built post 2000s with a pool, rooftop, theater room are also living in a luxury building. No one would say that it is NOT a luxury building with those amenities.

I know what is really going on though. To say that the word luxury is all subjective and doesn't exist in JC is to bring DTJC down and bring other parts of JC up. My 5 bedroom house that I bought for 100k in Greenville is as luxurious as a one bedroom condo unit in the sugar house lofts for 900k..yeah right.

It's all pretty laughable. Let's all just be honest. I'll go first. The individuals living in One57 in NYC lives in a more luxurious building than I do. I live in a better building than any building in Greenville.

The thing is to aspire to live in comfort, not bring down those above you. I wish I could afford to live in One57 but I can't but that building is great and for me to insult it is to just show how jealous I am. Everyone - reduce the jealously here please.

+1, nailed it.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

I can't afford luxury condo living in NYC so I'm living in the next best area..a luxury condo in dtjc, just like 90% of everyone else living in a luxury condo in dtjc and working in Manhattan. I'm just honest enough to admit it to everyone and not claim that I'm in JC because of I don't even know..what do people say makes JC unique...barcade, word cafe? lol

Thanks for being candid! I aspire to Manhattan, but can't afford either Manhattan or dtjc, so I'm living in the Heights - and I'll admit, the only reason I moved here was out of a desire to own something reasonably close to Manhattan, where I work, all my friends live, etc. And, it is closer and less dire than the neighborhoods in the actual boroughs I looked in - Bushwick, Flatbush, the (ulp...) Bronx.

People who have lived in JC all their lives are certainly entitled to their opinions and their feelings about their hometown, but increasingly JC - like any city - is going to be defined more by the people who move there and remake the image of the city.

+1 for honesty

Honesty = agreeing with my opinions. Yeah!

Posted on: 2014/8/20 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Do some of you sit behind the bench at Knicks games and tell them you are the "6th Man"? Think about how pathetic that would look. Exactly

Posted on: 2014/8/20 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

I can't afford luxury condo living in NYC so I'm living in the next best area..a luxury condo in dtjc, just like 90% of everyone else living in a luxury condo in dtjc and working in Manhattan. I'm just honest enough to admit it to everyone and not claim that I'm in JC because of I don't even know..what do people say makes JC unique...barcade, word cafe? lol

Thanks for being candid! I aspire to Manhattan, but can't afford either Manhattan or dtjc, so I'm living in the Heights - and I'll admit, the only reason I moved here was out of a desire to own something reasonably close to Manhattan, where I work, all my friends live, etc. And, it is closer and less dire than the neighborhoods in the actual boroughs I looked in - Bushwick, Flatbush, the (ulp...) Bronx.

People who have lived in JC all their lives are certainly entitled to their opinions and their feelings about their hometown, but increasingly JC - like any city - is going to be defined more by the people who move there and remake the image of the city.

+1 for honesty

Posted on: 2014/8/20 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
rofl. Oh man, the avoidance of telling it like it is on this board is hilarious.

First of all, there are gradients of luxury. Those being driven around in a rolls royce and taking private helicopters do in fact have a luxurious life and are living in luxury.

However, someone living in a concierge building built post 2000s with a pool, rooftop, theater room are also living in a luxury building. No one would say that it is NOT a luxury building with those amenities.

I know what is really going on though. To say that the word luxury is all subjective and doesn't exist in JC is to bring DTJC down and bring other parts of JC up. My 5 bedroom house that I bought for 100k in Greenville is as luxurious as a one bedroom condo unit in the sugar house lofts for 900k..yeah right.

It's all pretty laughable. Let's all just be honest. I'll go first. The individuals living in One57 in NYC lives in a more luxurious building than I do. I live in a better building than any building in Greenville.

The thing is to aspire to live in comfort, not bring down those above you. I wish I could afford to live in One57 but I can't but that building is great and for me to insult it is to just show how jealous I am. Everyone - reduce the jealously here please.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
You guys are something else.

Contrary to the opinions of the elitist, NYC wanna-be, Sixth Borough touting morons (mind you, few of those on here actually live in "luxury" areas, SMH), JC does have luxury buildings. Well, downtown JC at least.

Relative to the rest of JC, DTJC condos/luxury rentals have pools, gyms, health clubs, concierge services and significant other amenities which, according to every realtor out there (you know, the guys and gals who do this for a living), qualifies it as a "luxury" building.

According to some of your definitions, unless it has gold plated toilets and other nonsense, it can't possibly be luxury.

You just have to shake your head at the level of self-aggrandizing idiocy on here.

Nope, luxury is completely subjective.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
You guys are something else.

Contrary to the opinions of the elitist, NYC wanna-be, Sixth Borough touting morons (mind you, few of those on here actually live in "luxury" areas, SMH), JC does have luxury buildings. Well, downtown JC at least.

Relative to the rest of JC, DTJC condos/luxury rentals have pools, gyms, health clubs, concierge services and significant other amenities which, according to every realtor out there (you know, the guys and gals who do this for a living), qualifies it as a "luxury" building.

According to some of your definitions, unless it has gold plated toilets and other nonsense, it can't possibly be luxury.

You just have to shake your head at the level of self-aggrandizing idiocy on here.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
I agreed that JC benefits greatly due to it's proximity to NYC but I'm not sure that it, "Owes it everything". You sound like you should move it NYC, then you can say that Brooklyn owes everything to Manhattan. Or better yet you can move to Iraq and say the the world owes everything to Mesopotamia.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Still doesn't make it the 6th boro, and it's still not cool to call it the 6th boro. You will still sound dumb if you call it that.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Actually if NYC wasn't there JC would probably be MORE substantial. The only reason that it seems insignificant is because Manhattan dwarfs everything around it. If Manhattan was gone, JC would be a serious mid-sized city - bigger than Boulder, Orlando, Richmond, etc.

hahahahaha. If JC wasn't right next to NYC with 24/7 access then it wouldn't be the second largest city in NJ, there would be no luxury condos, there would be no restaurant row, there would be any luxury at all actually. Minus well just rename Jersey City Greenville.

Just look at all the new buildings, restaurants, food trucks, and population growth - all of that is happening in the area right next to NYC - DTJC.

You people are fooling yourselves.

I don't think it's the sixth boro. All I know is that JC owes everything to Manhattan. Please find me one article about JC without the words affordable or NYC or Manhattan in them. Even the recently published top places for soccer moms has those words...

When I think "luxury", I think of a line of black Mercedes SUVs waiting to whisk the buiding's residents to their offices...an apartment with separate maids quarters...a place that empties out on weekends because the residents are at their Hamptons homes. There ain't much of any of that in JC. So relax with the "luxury" thing?

+1 I can't even say the word luxury and Jersey City in the same sentence.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/8/20 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
http://nyre.cul.columbia.edu/

If you want to see luxury look up some of the buildings on Park, 5th, CPW and Westend Ave. Note this site is somewhat addictive.

Note in NYC good buildings are still Co-ops, not Condos. Control, of a sort, is true luxury, IMEO. I have several times looked at Condos in JC - as far as I know that must stand for Curry Our Neighbors Dine On.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
A little Greek place would be nice. It would remove the stain on the town that It's Greek to Me was. And I think it would be popular. Salads, vegetable dishes, simple grilled meats and seafood, pastries, and coffee.

Maybe a rack of grab and go spreads, dips, cheeses and olives, as well as some dry good and packaged, refrigerated frozen meals.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I left that out. They're taking the helicopters to the Hamptons.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
When I think "luxury", I think of a line of black Mercedes SUVs waiting to whisk the buiding's residents to their offices...an apartment with separate maids quarters...a place that empties out on weekends because the residents are at their Hamptons homes. There ain't much of any of that in JC. So relax with the "luxury" thing?

When I think of luxury, I think of private helicopters, not mercedes. So maybe you should relax about the "luxury" thing.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
I agreed that JC benefits greatly due to it's proximity to NYC but I'm not sure that it, "Owes it everything". You sound like you should move it NYC, then you can say that Brooklyn owes everything to Manhattan. Or better yet you can move to Iraq and say the the world owes everything to Mesopotamia.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Still doesn't make it the 6th boro, and it's still not cool to call it the 6th boro. You will still sound dumb if you call it that.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Actually if NYC wasn't there JC would probably be MORE substantial. The only reason that it seems insignificant is because Manhattan dwarfs everything around it. If Manhattan was gone, JC would be a serious mid-sized city - bigger than Boulder, Orlando, Richmond, etc.

hahahahaha. If JC wasn't right next to NYC with 24/7 access then it wouldn't be the second largest city in NJ, there would be no luxury condos, there would be no restaurant row, there would be any luxury at all actually. Minus well just rename Jersey City Greenville.

Just look at all the new buildings, restaurants, food trucks, and population growth - all of that is happening in the area right next to NYC - DTJC.

I don't think it's the sixth boro. All I know is that JC owes everything to Manhattan. Please find me one article about JC without the words affordable or NYC or Manhattan in them. Even the recently published top places for soccer moms has those words...

Posted on: 2014/8/20 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
THere is no doubt that JC benefits mainly from its proximity to NYC. I don't think that can be disputed. I just find it strange that some folks on this forum can't seem to understand that some people don't want to live in NYC. I have absolutely no desire to live in NYC. I rarely even want to visit anymore in my "free" time, unless it is for a really good reason (a show, a roadrunner race, zoo, museum, etc). I know some people love the City. I get that. But not everyone does. For some of us, after a certain amount of years, you just want to get out.
JC allows for a more reasonablee, almost quasi-suburb style living, while still providing super fast access to the City. I live here because my family is tied to the City due to employment, but we have no desire to live in Manhattan. We also have no desire to commute long distances from the suburbs to get into NYC. I know plenty of other folks in the same boat.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Haha, take a bridge, not a bride, humorous as that maybe.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I guess I must be the 10% or just a liar in your scenario. I enjoy the fact that DTJC is much quieter and has a smaller town feel compared to Manhattan. Not to mention the views are better, you don't pay a 1.5% city income tax and you don't need to take a bride or tunnel to get away for the weekend, not to mention any number of other benefits.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/20 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/20 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/20 2:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
It seems just as likely JC could be a great standalone city (it is on the water, and where there is water, people will build homes, homes attract retail and sometimes even industry) were it not right next to and interconnected to NYC as it could NOT be a great standalone city; it's odd to argue JC would be nothing without NYC, as though NYC is the only great city. There are plenty of cities that are awesome that aren't NYC. Travel the US a bit. They're everywhere. :)

That being said, it is next to NYC and there's no reason to argue what it might be if it wasn't. I happen to like it here bc it's close enough to enjoy the city on occasion and separate enough that I don't feel smothered. Lived there for 10 years. Wouldn't want to live there again, though.

I don't really care what other people call it/want to call it. I like the city and don't really give hoot if present or former NYers feel the need to give it a nickname that reinforces their own view that NYC is the ONLY awesome city. If they're that insecure or narcissistic, that's their problem.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Even if living in JC/Hoboken is not really de facto any different than living in any actual boro? It is called the 6th boro because the lifestyle of the people here is the same. It is fairly high density with a huge portion of the population commuting to Manhattan, and often spending a considerable amount of free time in the city as well. Given that, I wouldn't fault anyone using that term.

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/19 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/19 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/19 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the term applied to Hudson County as a whole. Certainly, it includes Hoboken.

Without our proximity to Manhattan we'd be lucky to be another Newark. Urban areas in New Jersey are not generally successful places.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 21:14
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
You can relax many do not think of us as the sixth borough...
Will the real sixth borough please stand up?

Sixth Borough Stealing NYC Residents

Posted on: 2014/8/18 19:28

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017