Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: "sixth borough" - no thanks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
I only live here because my job is in Manhattan.

Jersey City would only be better off if Manhattan wasn't here only if it became the financial center that Manhattan is. However, Chicago or Philadelphia would have most likely taken that role and JC would b like most NJ coastal crap cities like Elizabeth, Perth Amboy, etc.

No way would JC become a financial center. 0% chance. The current financial services firms here are primarily doing back office stuff for the larger offices in Manhattan. If those disappeared then so would the financial jobs. The finance jobs would move to the likes of San Francisco, Chicago or even Charlotte, NC before JC. But I agree on the ultimate result, except that it would be even worse as Elizabeth and PA still get some benefit from being near NYC. Those would get even crappier as well.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I only live here because my job is in Manhattan.

Jersey City would only be better off if Manhattan wasn't here only if it became the financial center that Manhattan is. However, Chicago or Philadelphia would have most likely taken that role and JC would b like most NJ coastal crap cities like Elizabeth, Perth Amboy, etc.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Actually if NYC wasn't there JC would probably be MORE substantial. The only reason that it seems insignificant is because Manhattan dwarfs everything around it. If Manhattan was gone, JC would be a serious mid-sized city - bigger than Boulder, Orlando, Richmond, etc.

hahahahaha. If JC wasn't right next to NYC with 24/7 access then it wouldn't be the second largest city in NJ, there would be no luxury condos, there would be no restaurant row, there would be any luxury at all actually. Minus well just rename Jersey City Greenville.

Just look at all the new buildings, restaurants, food trucks, and population growth - all of that is happening in the area right next to NYC - DTJC.

You people are fooling yourselves.

This. A million times this. The amount of delusion displayed in threads on these topics is hilarious.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Actually if NYC wasn't there JC would probably be MORE substantial. The only reason that it seems insignificant is because Manhattan dwarfs everything around it. If Manhattan was gone, JC would be a serious mid-sized city - bigger than Boulder, Orlando, Richmond, etc.

hahahahaha. If JC wasn't right next to NYC with 24/7 access then it wouldn't be the second largest city in NJ, there would be no luxury condos, there would be no restaurant row, there would be any luxury at all actually. Minus well just rename Jersey City Greenville.

Just look at all the new buildings, restaurants, food trucks, and population growth - all of that is happening in the area right next to NYC - DTJC.

You people are fooling yourselves.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Quote:

Adonis wrote:
If Manhatran didn't exist JC would have been even greater because JC would have been the gateway to the US and its heartland. Manhattan has been holding JC back all these years.

Ixnay on the 6th Oroughbay. JC has always been good enough to stand on it's own.

Jersey City was the gateway - if I understand that gateway is the starting point. Wasn't the train station now in LPS the place where immigrants heading south and west left from? If Manhattan didn't exist Boston and Baltimore would probably have handled more immigrants.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/18 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed! 6 Boro is a wanna-be loser mentality. This is JC get some balls! I moved here because I didn't want to live in Queens or Brooklyn. In my opinion it's better here and we should act like it.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Sixth Borough sounds desperate and hollow. How about Jersey F**king City? That's an attention grabber!

Posted on: 2014/8/18 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Sixth Borough sounds desperate and hollow. How about Jersey F**king City? That's an attention grabber!

Posted on: 2014/8/18 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
I've changed my profile to officially adopt our new name. Good one, Seagull!

Posted on: 2014/8/18 2:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/18 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
If Manhatran didn't exist JC would have been even greater because JC would have been the gateway to the US and its heartland. Manhattan has been holding JC back all these years.

Ixnay on the 6th Oroughbay. JC has always been good enough to stand on it's own.

LOL, this is either flame or you're dumb. There is zero reason for most people to be in Jersey City minus Manhattan. This goes double for the high income/status individuals that make Jersey City great (to the extent it is, anyway).

Posted on: 2014/8/17 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HighFiveCity wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Don't fret. Soon enough you'll be residing in Pizza City, NJ

Ha! Now that's something to get behind.
Downtown PC.

PCList.com

Posted on: 2014/8/17 22:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/13 2:42
From The Island
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

Ha! Now that's something to get behind.
Downtown PC.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/17 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Glad to see I'm not the only local who understands exactly how unoriginal and asinine this moniker is.

All those who don't get it are exactly the types it's suitable for: Insecure former 212-ers ashamed to tell their friends they left the glorious and superior confines of manhattan/NY for, gulp, New Jersey!!

All of these fools so desperate for this title should just move out if they're so enamored with NY, and so ashamed of Jersey City. We won't miss you.

As for others' comments, don't speak for everyone. I have family with property over there and I can easily afford a nice spot in Manhattan and will always choose JC over it. Manhattans a nice place to visit, but I love coming home to JC. Manhattan has amazing versions of this and that and everything. We get it. Manhattan is awesome.

No one here is claiming JC better than manhattan, you're all missing the point and only the fools who desperately want this 6th borough bulls*it to stick are making that comparison. JC is a great spot in its own right, between the artist community, great street markets, restaurants etc we are doing just fine. Growth was happening without this stupid 6th borough crap.

Don't like The fact the natives reject this idiotic title? No one really gives a sh*t. Just stop imposing your insecurities on this town via a vie these stupid f*cking 212-wannabe monikers. It's pathetic.

I'm an NJ guy, born and raised - and proud of NJ as well. Still, JC is a part of the NYC metro area, of which Manhattan is the hub. This is not debatable. Hence, the 6 borough moniker.

It's not a knock on JC. And 6th borough doesn't mean JC "wants to be Manhattan/NYC". It just acknowledges the fact that it's a smaller city that feeds off the mega-hub that is Manhattan. Without Manhattan, JC clearly wouldn't be as great as it is today. And that's okay.

As for what the natives think, it's nice but not necessarily relevant. Along the same lines, if the natives thought JC was the safest city in America, it wouldn't make it so.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
Jersey City used to compare itself to Hoboken. Now, it compares itself to Brooklyn. You're right, OP, the moniker "sixth borough" is awful for all the reasons you gave.

It's not as bad as "Chilltown," but it's bad.

Correction: outsiders/transplants/transitory residents compare JC to City XYZ (insert trendy city here). Real JCers couldn't care less what other cities do, hence the rejection of this idiotic moniker.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City used to compare itself to Hoboken. Now, it compares itself to Brooklyn. You're right, OP, the moniker "sixth borough" is awful for all the reasons you gave.

It's not as bad as "Chilltown," but it's bad.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Glad to see I'm not the only local who understands exactly how unoriginal and asinine this moniker is.

All those who don't get it are exactly the types it's suitable for: Insecure former 212-ers ashamed to tell their friends they left the glorious and superior confines of manhattan/NY for, gulp, New Jersey!!

All of these fools so desperate for this title should just move out if they're so enamored with NY, and so ashamed of Jersey City. We won't miss you.

As for others' comments, don't speak for everyone. I have family with property over there and I can easily afford a nice spot in Manhattan and will always choose JC over it. Manhattans a nice place to visit, but I love coming home to JC. Manhattan has amazing versions of this and that and everything. We get it. Manhattan is awesome.

No one here is claiming JC better than manhattan, you're all missing the point and only the fools who desperately want this 6th borough bulls*it to stick are making that comparison. JC is a great spot in its own right, between the artist community, great street markets, restaurants etc we are doing just fine. Growth was happening without this stupid 6th borough crap.

Don't like The fact the natives reject this idiotic title? No one really gives a sh*t. Just stop imposing your insecurities on this town via a vie these stupid f*cking 212-wannabe monikers. It's pathetic.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I like "Zero Boro" or "No Borough"

How about Rotten Borough?

Posted on: 2014/8/17 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I have never understood why so many people get riled up over this moniker. It is, in fact, an apt description of JC vis-a-vis its proximity to NYC. For DTJC, and neighboring areas, getting into Manhattan is as quick, or quicker, than all other boroughs.

Nobody is claiming JC is an actual borough of NYC, and it seems obvious to me that the moniker is simply a "cheeky" way to describe JC's proximity and relation to NYC. To deny that JC, and particularly DTJC, is anything short of highly influenced by Manhattan, and NYC at large, is being dishonest. JC's development, growth, and gentrification (and, thus, its general fortunes) is closely tied and related to NYC. If that bothers you, get over it.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This certainly does not need a new thread. The only reason Jersey City has an identity at all is because of NYC. In fact, that was always the case for the most part. There was industry here because Jersey City sits on New York Harbor.

None of us have any reason to believe that Jersey City will build an identity that is separate from NYC. Unless something appears here that does not exist in NYC. Which will be really, really hard to do, in all honesty. In terms of functionality, it is basically a borough, aside from government and state borders. Until recently, none of the 4 outer boroughs received any tourism outside of sporting events. And even now, Brooklyn is the only borough that SOME tourists check out.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eblanco wrote:
It's more insulting because it puts us in the company of Staten Island.

And the other boroughs in the NYC area. Be fair.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I like "Zero Boro" or "No Borough"

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nope wrote:
why the huge campaign of people trying to make jersey city out to be the "sixth borough?"

honestly, i don't want this town to be just an extension of nyc, i prefer to see jc have it's own identity. if i wanted to live in brooklyn or somewhere else, i would. this isn't nyc and the idea of pretending it is kinda comes off as silly to me. it's pining to be something that jc doesn't have to be.

Not sure you realize this, but most of the upper middle class and above people move here because of access to NYC. Jersey City DOES NOT have a unique identity separate from NYC any more than Brooklyn does. This isn't to say that we can't offer our own amenities, such as great restaurants, lower taxes, and other nice things but pretending that JC isn't de facto the 6th borough is just silly.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
What campaign?

I know of one restaurant/lounge, and one intermittent parking lot market, which uses the moniker.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
It's more insulting because it puts us in the company of Staten Island.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see why 6th borough is such a big insult. JC only is what it is due to its proximity to NYC. It's part of the NYC metro area. Embrace it.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/16 21:29

"sixth borough" - no thanks

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/13 0:24
From dtjc
Group:
Registered Users
why the huge campaign of people trying to make jersey city out to be the "sixth borough?"

honestly, i don't want this town to be just an extension of nyc, i prefer to see jc have it's own identity. if i wanted to live in brooklyn or somewhere else, i would. this isn't nyc and the idea of pretending it is kinda comes off as silly to me. it's pining to be something that jc doesn't have to be.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 19:59

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017