Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: New PATH Station - Marion
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I've heard rumors that Mana Comtemporary has been quietly pushing for the Marion Ave PATH station. This would obviously benefit them tremendously because it would stop right at their front door rather than people having to walk 10 mins from JSQ. I have also heard they are willing to assist in funding it partly. Its probably just a bad rumor and probably not going to happen regardless.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 16:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Hey JaeTea it is illegal to take pictures on PATH property unless you have a authorized permit.

I also have 12 of these in my apt.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/7 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
It's true, and they can be really strict about it. A few years ago I even saw a cop threaten to arrest a tourist for taking a photo of her toddler's first train ride.

Somewhere I have a set of illustrations based on complaint letters to the London Underground from ~100 years ago, and one of them is "please build a station at the end of my street." Times haven't changed.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Hey JaeTea it is illegal to take pictures on PATH property unless you have a authorized permit.
not true

Sadly, it actually is true. This doesn't excuse heights from being a crybaby tattletale though.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Of course it is illegal, PATH does not want to public see how crowded the trains are, they rather spend our money on building towers.

Yes, and the gustapo will come after you if they catch you taking a picture. Just like if you break the other rules like eating/drinking, leaning on doors.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/security.html

Yes, I want to see Path improvements, but this isn't any worse than some subway lines, and this isn't a some sort of cover up operation, stop being a fear mongering drama queen.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Of course it is illegal, PATH does not want to public see how crowded the trains are, they rather spend our money on building towers.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
not true

Posted on: 2014/8/7 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
C'mon - we can fit a LOT more people on the PATH. We aren't even really trying...

Posted on: 2014/8/7 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
The PA isn't likely to be adding stations anytime soon, so this is kind of silly. But Yvonne, can we drop the affectation of calling it "Pavonia"? The name of the station is Newport now. We all get that you've been here since the ice age.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/7 12:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is 2008. 2008!!!!!

Resized Image

Sandy was FUN!!

Resized Image

Wait...how many new apartment rental are going up in JC???

Resized Image
Resized Image

Think its gotten better?!?!? PATH doesn't give two shits.

You people are fooling yourselves.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 12:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Anyone who says the trains aren't that bad is fooling themselves. On the, thankfully few, occasions I have taken the train at peak rush-hour they are packed to capacity. On each occasion people literally could not fit onto the trains. PATH is doomed unless they come up with billions for improvements. Even if they do it will take years for the work to be completed. F-PATH!

Posted on: 2014/8/7 4:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Hold on, let's step back for a sec and look at this.

There are already plans in place to:

a) increase capacity on WTC trains by adding more cars

b) increase frequency of all trains, by lowering the required headspace between trains with modern signaling (of course PA has to follow through by actually scheduling more trains to realize this potential improvement)

If there were a separate train running from Marion, it would cut the frequency of the existing lines. Yvonne's proposal means less service at JSQ and Grove to accommodate the additional trains that just pass on by... does that sound like a good idea?

Now, let's follow the money. Who benefits from this plan?

Definitely not PATH users Downtown or at JSQ - they're the big losers. I don't know if property owners/developers in those areas would be hurt as much - but they definitely won't be helped.

PATH riders in Marion would have a small benefit (perhaps a 5- or 10-minute walk to the train, instead of a 10- or 15-minute walk - although train service from both Marion and JSQ would be less frequent than it currently is from JSQ - keep that in mind).

The real winners would be property owners & developers in Marion. It's no surprise that they would advocate for their interests - but this plan can't happen without hurting PATH riders who use the existing stations in JC.

PS - I ride PATH from JSQ now, and a Marion station would be sightly more convenient for me. But the setup as described still sounds like a bad idea.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

equn wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

The following stations support 10 cars:
Newark, Harrison, Journal Sq, Grove St, Exchange Pl, WTC

THe following stations support only 7 cars:
Newport, Christopher, 9, 14, 23, 33

Grove and Harrison don't support 10 yet. They're the ones that need extending so the WTC line can run longer trains.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It also depends on the time of the day rush hour occurs. It is easier during summer when people are wearing thinner garments but come winter heavier coats adds to the crowded feeling. Also come September students from JC return to NYC private, Catholic, even some public schools, not including colleges. We need to address this problem before 25 Senate Place or the 3 KRE towers next to the PATH at Journal Square are occupied. Fulop said in one of his press release there are 17,000 units approve for construction. I am sure many will take the PATH.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/7 2:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Correct me if I'm wrong.

The following stations support 10 cars:
Newark, Harrison, Journal Sq, Grove St, Exchange Pl, WTC

THe following stations support only 7 cars:
Newport, Christopher, 9, 14, 23, 33

Posted on: 2014/8/7 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It also depends on the time of the day rush hour occurs. It is easier during summer when people are wearing thinner garments but come winter heavier coats adds to the crowded feeling. Also come September students from JC return to NYC private, Catholic, even some public schools, not including colleges. We need to address this problem before 25 Senate Place or the 3 KRE towers next to the PATH at Journal Square are occupied. Fulop said in one of his press release there are 17,000 units approve for construction. I am sure many will take the PATH.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is difficult to get on the train during rush hour at Grove and Pavonia. The train is already packed from Journal Square riders who make up Bayonne, Greenville, Harrison and Newark. It is the reason I said a Marion station would go directly to Grove bypassing Journal Square. Personally, I like a little breathing room on the train.

Could you maybe respond to the points I took the time to outline?

Posted on: 2014/8/7 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are you spying on me rescue, without a life? I have been riding the PATH system since the early 1960s when the fee was a whooping thirty cents. It remain that way due to Morris Pesin who attended meetings reminding the Port Authority officials about their agreement to keep the trains affordable while they make their money on the bridges. Morris told me if they raise it above 30 cents the Port Authority will not stop he was right.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is difficult to get on the train during rush hour at Grove and Pavonia. The train is already packed from Journal Square riders who make up Bayonne, Greenville, Harrison and Newark. It is the reason I said a Marion station would go directly to Grove bypassing Journal Square. Personally, I like a little breathing room on the train.

So you commute to NYC from one of these stations every day during rush hour? Funny, because I have taken the train during rush hour every day for many many years and not once have I seen you.

Also, aside from when there are delays, it is not common to not be able to fit on a train. Yes, this happens on occasion, but if you need breathing room you should not be taking a commuter train into Manhattan during rush hour, regardless of what rail system you are on.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Personally, I like a little breathing room on the train.

We all know you're a car-person not a train-person. You're angling for one of those Lautenberg-style EZ passes from the Port Authority. Right?

http://www.wnyc.org/story/284173-port ... river-284-times-for-free/

Posted on: 2014/8/6 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/6 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Very interesting.
What would happen if the path tunnel sprung a leak? What would stop the water from the Hudson flooding the path and pouring out at Grove st. It would be a disaster.

Didn't do so great in physics, did you? The tunnels already leak anyway.

Uh, sure Einstein.
If there was a big hole in the tunnel the pressure of the water above would turn the tunnels into virtual water mains.

Yeah, but how would it come pouring out at Grove Street? It's above sea level. What's to stop it from flowing up Newark Avenue and flooding Journal Square?

Posted on: 2014/8/6 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When the Grove Path Station was being redone awhile back, I read somewhere they could not add more trains because some of the stations would not accommodate a longer train. I just don't remember which stations they referred. I know how difficult it is to get on the Path at Grove and Pavonia, the reason I suggested Marion station would go directly to Grove and and Journal Square would bypass Grove and go directly to Pavonia. My suggestion helps both Journal Square and downtown.

This plan is completely wrong. Here are some things to consider:

1. People take the train from JSQ to Grove Street.

2. People take the train from Grove Street to Pavonia, especially those that have to transfer there to go to Hoboken or possibly to the light rail system.

3. Making people wait while a train skips their station means that the platform is going to fill up even more during the next waiting interval, making the train more crowded anyway.

4. The infrastructure for platform extensions already exists. It is the space in the tunnels next to the platforms. It's a shame you can't remember where you read that it was impossible because I don't think that documentation exists, or you're remembering it incorrectly.

Please pick one topic to specialize in and work on that. There is a reason that the transportation professionals are only talking about signal upgrades and platform lengthening and not scenarios that overcomplicate a system without doing anything to alleviate the problem.

There is no reason we can't have both a new station at Marion and a platform lengthening project.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is cheaper to add a platform to the already existing tracks at Marion then divert those trains to Grove instead of Journal Square. During rush hours Grove Street and Pavonia stations are pitiful. Digging tunnels will be multi millions at the Grove station.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Harrison and Grove Street are the only two stations that need longer platforms to add two cars to the NWK-WTC line. Harrison's platform extension is under construction. Grove Street's renovation will be next, and is already in the long term capital plan. Its part of the 2019 - 2023 portion of the plan and will increase train length from 8 to 10 cars, representing a 25% increase in capacity on that line. Here is the capital plan through 2023. http://www.panynj.gov/corporate-infor ... 4-public-capital-plan.pdf

The Grove Street platform itself really isn't the issue - they will just knock down the walls on either side of the walkway extending to the east entrance (NW corner of Columbus and Marin - the round, Jetsons building.) That will leave enough platform to accommodate the ten-car trains.

The problem is solving the ADA-accessibility issue. Requires a new entrance in a spot that will accommodate an elevator. Apparently there are serious limitations with siting the elevator in the current configuration (which is why it was never done in the first place.)

Posted on: 2014/8/6 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Very interesting.
What would happen if the path tunnel sprung a leak? What would stop the water from the Hudson flooding the path and pouring out at Grove st. It would be a disaster.

Uh, sure Einstein.
If there was a big hole in the tunnel the pressure of the water above would turn the tunnels into virtual water mains.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 17:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Its part of the 2019 - 2023 portion of the plan

Oh well in that case.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/6 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Very interesting.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Very interesting.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 16:38

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017