Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Drivers and Crosswalks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

HighFiveCity wrote:
I've had cars pass mine while I've stopped at a crosswalk for crossing pedestrians (one example - that down hill cross walk under the turnpike at 7th street and Newark). Very scary, thankfully the person crossing was being alert.

Here's a link to the NJ Pedestrian Law.

http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/pedestrian.html

Summary - Be mindful that it's drivers choice to stop if the pedestrian is only waiting and watching on a corner to cross.

Cars it seems are only mandated by law to stop when a person is in the act of crossing the street in a cross walk.

In our case we were halfway across the two-way street and the car nearly hit us. I gave the woman the WTF gesture, she waved without stopping like "sorry, I'm an idiot" and then the cop sprang into action. It was so satisfyingly awesome. Justice served.

I wish you had a video of this, would be cool to watch.

Posted on: 2014/8/10 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HighFiveCity wrote:
I've had cars pass mine while I've stopped at a crosswalk for crossing pedestrians (one example - that down hill cross walk under the turnpike at 7th street and Newark). Very scary, thankfully the person crossing was being alert.

Summary - Be mindful that it's drivers choice to stop if the pedestrian is only waiting and watching on a corner to cross.

Cars it seems are only mandated by law to stop when a person is in the act of crossing the street in a cross walk.

In our case we were halfway across the two-way street and the car nearly hit us. I gave the woman the WTF gesture, she waved without stopping like "sorry, I'm an idiot" and then the cop sprang into action. It was so satisfyingly awesome. Justice served.

Posted on: 2014/8/10 2:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Since they put the new stop sign on Brunswick at 2nd Street in my neighborhood, I've spent the last few months perfecting my Jersey City Pedestrian Look of Admonishment at drivers who come barreling down Brunswick on their way to the Turnpike via Columbus ... sometimes it requires a presence a foot or two into the crosswalk -- with the right hand in the WTF shrug position and the left pointing to the stop sign, with optional yelling. But I'm doing my part. You're welcome

Posted on: 2014/8/9 21:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/13 2:42
From The Island
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/9 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The wife and I just nearly got hit by a car illegally jumping the light and making the left onto 6th Street from Jersey Ave. Unfortunately for them the second car in opposing traffic was an unmarked cop car and you can guess the rest. NABBED!!!

That would not have been my first guess.

Or even my second.

Not normally but unfortunately for that driver it was the unmarked car whose there solely to ticket speeders, Stop-sign jumpers and drivers who fail to yield. It's nice when these stories have such glorious endings.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 4:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The wife and I just nearly got hit by a car illegally jumping the light and making the left onto 6th Street from Jersey Ave. Unfortunately for them the second car in opposing traffic was an unmarked cop car and you can guess the rest. NABBED!!!

That would not have been my first guess.

Or even my second.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 3:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/17 1:40
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It is so scary. I am terrified to ride a bike in JC, because I have known so many people that have been hit and even know a couple who died and one that was so seriously injured, the person is STILL recovering...over 6 months later. I drive all over JC and I am SO careful and DO yield to pedestrians, even if they aren't crossing on a cross walk. I am always looking in my side view mirrors and rear view mirror to make sure I'm aware of cyclists...but most are so careless. This is a city with such a dense population that driving like a jerk is not gonna get you anywhere faster. People need to be more careful and be more aware of their surroundings.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/8/7 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
The cops don't care if you blow through a stop sign but god forbid your windows are tinted to dark they will pull you over in a heartbeat.

I think this is more to do with a traffic stop - I presume no cop wants to approach a car without knowing if a bazooka is pointing at them from the inside when they reach the driver's door window. I guess they would like to know if a known felon is behind the wheel at a distance - I'm all for safety first.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 0:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
The cops don't care if you blow through a stop sign but god forbid your windows are tinted to dark they will pull you over in a heartbeat.

Which is funny, because I've noticed a few of the cops' private cars (the ones they sit in when they are watching the construction hole, er - doing off-duty work) have dark tinted windows.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/2 19:34
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I disagree. Have you been around Jersey City? Have you read the news? The police have plenty of real crime and real criminals to deal with.

I've also been downtown plenty and I've never seen this supposed epidemic of reckless driving. What I frequently see are rude pedestrians who cross the road before they are permitted, causing cars who are making turns at lights to have to come to a sudden stop. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why some of you are getting cursed out by drivers.

To the extent the police should be increasing enforcement, they can hand out extra jaywalking tickets. But again, all of this is unnecessary, as the police have their hands full with real problems.

You are either completely oblivious to what is going on around you or an aggressive driver yourself.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I've also been downtown plenty and I've never seen this supposed epidemic of reckless driving.

Not plenty enough, apparently. My wife and I walk up Marin to the PATH and there are mornings where I am almost struck (crossing in the crosswalk, with the signal) at all three intersections I cross that have traffic lights. Grand Street is ridiculous.

Separately - can anyone explain the purpose of the influx of cops standing on corners (not in the intersection, but usually up agains a building on a corner) during rush hours? Seems like they first appeared when the Skyway closed and I thought they were there to direct traffic but now they just stand around and talk on their phones or just stare off into the distance. I've seen at least a half dozen instances where someone blatantly runs a red light in front of one of these police statues and nothing.

I work from home, and pop outdoors several times during the day (thanks, A.D.D.!)

There is rarely a time that I don't see somebody blowing through a stop sign or speeding up Erie at twice the posted speed limit. Twice in one week I witnessed some genius run a red light on Columbus and do a U-turn in the intersection from the right lane.

Awful driving is truly an epidemic, at least in my little slice of downtown.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 16:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Last winter I was 3/4 the way across the crosswalk on Jersey Avenue at 7th street. A car came around the corner and luckily was able to stop in time but ? her grill was flat up against me. I've never come so close to being seriously hurt or worse.

Just be careful out there, everybody.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Do any of you get out of Dtjc? Seems you've never experienced the daily action of JFK Blvd., aka. JC NASCAR. ;)

Posted on: 2014/8/2 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
There are loads of police in the Powerhouse District (Provost/Warren/Montgomery area) due to the many construction projects going on. On a good day they are on their phones (playing Candy Crush for all I know) and on other days they are bs'ing with their buddies, ignoring traffic problems, and/or yelling at drivers for going TOO SLOW (true story).

This is a serious question: what are they supposed to be doing? When a construction site is required to hire police, what is their job description? For all I know they are just supposed to stand there in case something crazy illegal happens and otherwise they have no obligations. If, on the other hand, they are supposed to do something, I'd like to know how we (taxpayers who are paying their salaries) can hold them accountable.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
I've seen at least a half dozen instances where someone blatantly runs a red light in front of one of these police statues and nothing.

Use your smartphone, post the video here. Send a copy to Shea, Osborne and Fulop.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I've also been downtown plenty and I've never seen this supposed epidemic of reckless driving.

Not plenty enough, apparently. My wife and I walk up Marin to the PATH and there are mornings where I am almost struck (crossing in the crosswalk, with the signal) at all three intersections I cross that have traffic lights. Grand Street is ridiculous.

Separately - can anyone explain the purpose of the influx of cops standing on corners (not in the intersection, but usually up agains a building on a corner) during rush hours? Seems like they first appeared when the Skyway closed and I thought they were there to direct traffic but now they just stand around and talk on their phones or just stare off into the distance. I've seen at least a half dozen instances where someone blatantly runs a red light in front of one of these police statues and nothing.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alastor wrote:
It's the difference between individual action and community action. If I file a summons, I might put this motorist on notice to drive safely; he'll probably just be irate that someone called him out for his conduct. If the city takes action, they might begin to address this problem in earnest. Councilwoman Osborne takes pedestrian safety seriously. And it should be taken seriously by the entire city government, especially the police department. There has been some improvement along Jersey Ave. with the installation of signage advising driver's of the state law. But the reckless driving continues to persist and the outrage by motorists who think they should be allowed to muscle over anyone in their way. It puzzles me why you think physically endangering someone is somehow a minor problem.

It's funny you say it's a fallacy the police cannot do two things at once yet this is what you're claiming for yourself. You ask JC List whether you should file a summons, yet it appears you were never serious about doing so as you keep making excuses as to why you won't.

Since you think this is such a major problem you should take charge and back up your words. File your summons. Take action. It's very telling that you won't.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 16:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/17 5:23
Group:
Registered Users
It's the difference between individual action and community action. If I file a summons, I might put this motorist on notice to drive safely; he'll probably just be irate that someone called him out for his conduct. If the city takes action, they might begin to address this problem in earnest. Councilwoman Osborne takes pedestrian safety seriously. And it should be taken seriously by the entire city government, especially the police department. There has been some improvement along Jersey Ave. with the installation of signage advising driver's of the state law. But the reckless driving continues to persist and the outrage by motorists who think they should be allowed to muscle over anyone in their way. It puzzles me why you think physically endangering someone is somehow a minor problem.

[/quote]

Instead of getting on a soapbox, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and file your summons?

That was your original question, right?[/quote]

Posted on: 2014/8/1 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alastor wrote:
This is exactly the kind of attitude that is so pervasive and dangerous. You dishonor the people who have been killed crossing the street. And you demonstrate why this behavior continues unchecked. Furthermore, when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk, you MUST yield. If the crosswalk is at an intersection, the pedestrian has the right of way if prompted by the walk signal. Granted, people do jaywalk and that's a problem. But that gives you no legal right to endanger their lives. It is astounding how flagrantly the students of Ferris High School obstruct traffic by jaywalking in front of crossing guards and police, endangering themselves and motorists. This is also a problem that needs to be seriously addressed by law enforcement. Instead, we have your attitude that these laws are somehow irrelevant or take a back seat to "real" crime. It's a fallacy that you can only address one kind of crime or the other; the police need to address both. And the lollygagging I frequently see by JCPD (the cop that stands around aimlessly on Grand St. and Barrow being one of many examples) suggests that they have men and women that could be assigned to this important task.

Instead of getting on a soapbox, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and file your summons?

That was your original question, right?

Posted on: 2014/8/1 15:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is exactly the kind of attitude that is so pervasive and dangerous. You dishonor the people who have been killed crossing the street. And you demonstrate why this behavior continues unchecked. Furthermore, when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk, you MUST yield. If the crosswalk is at an intersection, the pedestrian has the right of way if prompted by the walk signal. Granted, people do jaywalk and that's a problem. But that gives you no legal right to endanger their lives. It is astounding how flagrantly the students of Ferris High School obstruct traffic by jaywalking in front of crossing guards and police, endangering themselves and motorists. This is also a problem that needs to be seriously addressed by law enforcement. Instead, we have your attitude that these laws are somehow irrelevant or take a back seat to "real" crime. It's a fallacy that you can only address one kind of crime or the other; the police need to address both. And the lollygagging I frequently see by JCPD (the cop that stands around aimlessly on Grand St. and Barrow being one of many examples) suggests that they have men and women that could be assigned to this important task.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Very serious. Go to the intersection of Columbus and Grove and you will see this behavior constantly. The drivers get a left turn green arrow, it's a delayed walk signal for pedestrians, yet people constantly ignore this and walk into the road. It's also curious how Alastor barely has any posts, claimed his question was whether he should file a complaint against the driver, yet disregarded all feedback telling him to do so. I say go ahead. If he was crossing against the light he'll get laughed out of court.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I've also been downtown plenty and I've never seen this supposed epidemic of reckless driving. What I frequently see are rude pedestrians who cross the road before they are permitted, causing cars who are making turns at lights to have to come to a sudden stop. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why some of you are getting cursed out by drivers.

You can't be serious.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I disagree. Have you been around Jersey City? Have you read the news? The police have plenty of real crime and real criminals to deal with.

To the extent the police should be increasing enforcement, they can hand out extra jaywalking tickets. But again, all of this is unnecessary, as the police have their hands full with real problems.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 14:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's tempting to file the complaint in court, especially given this motorist's threats and incivility when called out for breaking the law. However, the real problem with pedestrian safety in Jersey City is the indifference to the problem. The police need to act.

I rarely, if ever, see vehicles ticketed in the downtown area for traffic violations, and I have never seen a police observing traffic to deter violations and issue citations. I have seen the motorcycle squad making a show of rumbling down Jersey Ave. in a group of six, but I don't see how this parade targets bad driving. It suggests to me that traffic violations are probably relegated to the squad and that most PO don't want to deal with infractions and are not being ordered to do it. I would be interested to know how many citations have been issued for failure to yield to a pedestrian. There was a targeted campaign a while back to address this problem, but it ended. And the dangerous driving continues.

The police need to make pedestrian safety an on-going priority. When they see violations of the law, they need to enforce the law. Otherwise, the permissive attitude will give motorists the impression that they can drive recklessly and endanger lives. If there were a concerted effort to ticket vehicles in Jersey City, motorists would quickly realize they cannot behave in this way. A car can be a deadly weapon, and if some of these vehicles came as close as they often do to hitting a person, an armed police officer would probably feel entitled to use deadly force against the driver.

These are reckless, impudent drivers who refuse to take responsibility for the safety of others; they seem to be motivated by a total disregard for the lives of others, annoyed and angry that they must respect the will of a pedestrian to transit a crosswalk: how dare someone have the gall to impede their vehicle's movement for thirty seconds.

Please demand action for city officials to address this problem before someone you love gets hurt.

Call the mayor, (201) 547-4900

Posted on: 2014/8/1 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alastor wrote:
Just tonight a vehicle nearly hit me in a crosswalk on Jersey Ave. and when I yelled at the driver that he must "Yield to Pedestrians in a Crosswalk," he abruptly stopped his car and began to threaten my person with physical violence.

The police seem altogether indifferent. In fact, I have witnessed police texting in their patrol vehicles while this very infraction (failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk) occurs directly in front of them. When I spoke with an officer about the apparent indifference, he said they had better things to do such as homicides and robberies. There was no reply when I remarked that reckless a driver poses an imminent threat to human life.

My question to fellow citizens: I have the license plate information of the vehicle that nearly struck me, presumably owned by the man who threatened me. Should I go to the municipal court and file a summons against him? Or is the degree of hostility and self-entitlement so rampant in this community that he would seek reprisal? Obviously, in court, it would be my word against his.

What we need is targeted enforcement by the police to curb this behavior.

Yes swear yourself in to the J.C. municipal court and issue that driver a summons, then file a complaint against the badge number of that cop that seemed to sweep the incident under the rug.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 13:06
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alastor wrote:
Judging by the responses, reckless driving is a major threat to pedestrian safety throughout Jersey City, including downtown where there is frequent pedestrian traffic.

Just tonight a vehicle nearly hit me in a crosswalk on Jersey Ave. and when I yelled at the driver that he must "Yield to Pedestrians in a Crosswalk," he abruptly stopped his car and began to threaten my person with physical violence.

The police seem altogether indifferent. In fact, I have witnessed police texting in their patrol vehicles while this very infraction (failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk) occurs directly in front of them. When I spoke with an officer about the apparent indifference, he said they had better things to do such as homicides and robberies. There was no reply when I remarked that reckless a driver poses an imminent threat to human life.

My question to fellow citizens: I have the license plate information of the vehicle that nearly struck me, presumably owned by the man who threatened me. Should I go to the municipal court and file a summons against him? Or is the degree of hostility and self-entitlement so rampant in this community that he would seek reprisal? Obviously, in court, it would be my word against his.

Sadly, I don't think you would get much of a response. Most complaints or warrants are not actually pursued or enforced until said person is caught or pulled over for something else. Sort of the technique NYC used in the 90's. Stop a fare-jumper, run their ID/name and get an outstanding warrant notice and boom, arrested.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 1:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Judging by the responses, reckless driving is a major threat to pedestrian safety throughout Jersey City, including downtown where there is frequent pedestrian traffic.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
That would hold true if all bicyclists also followed the law but sadly it's not the case. I see bikes going the wrong way all the time. Fact: Your profile on a bike is miniscule compared to a car and yet you are traveling almost as fast as a car yet silently. Also, many bike riders will skirt the road close to parked cars therefore making them harder to see. I won't even mention sidewalks. Someone like me? Yes, I look both ways but for elderly folks or distracted pedestrians? It's a different story. Bike riders should be making their presence known constantly.

Yep I see some on bikes going the wrong way usually they are riding beater bikes, no helmet, dishellved, talking on their cell phone...not the usual model bike rider. I am always on the look out for seniors but distracted pedestrians they choose to be ignorant. I can usually profile the distracted bikers and pedestrians out there and when I see them I am more cautious and alert them that I am coming there way. Sometimes profiling works...it's like radar for idiots.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 10:56
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017