Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Mother arrested for letting her 7 year old son go to the park by himself
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I disagree, I would not let a 7 year old travel half a mile alone, but parents in JC do it all the time, I see 7 and even 5 yo without a parent or guardian in the park in my area which to me is not acceptable. I started traveling alone by subway when I was about 10.

I don't have kids, and have no desire to have any but To each it's own.

Well yeah, you live in Greenville. I don't let myself go there and basically feel like anyone under 18 being there is automatic cause for charges against the parents!

Yeah you sound like one of those people that likes to swim in their own excrement advacote, living in downtown I bet you that you already have, LOL!

And yet, I STILL don't enjoy it enough to live in Greenville!

Posted on: 2014/7/31 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
When i was 7 i was riding the subways and buses in nyc on my own with a fckin stolen bus pass. Not a damn thing happened to me, and this was before the prettification of NYC

Posted on: 2014/7/31 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Don't think there's a one-size-fits all answer. If it's a close knit community, where people are watching your kid's backs, then short solo trips to the park, local stores, etc, are fine. Trips outside that space, there's safety in numbers - I used to take transport cross-town regularly with a bunch of other kids. Never a problem as long as we knew the route, and what to do if we had a problem.

With child gps, smartphones and the like, you'd think things would be even safer.

If you are wary of going somewhere yourself as an adult, you probably shouldn't let your kid go there on their own. But if the area and route is safe, and your kids and friends are comfortable navigating transport and traffic, don't see the problem.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I disagree, I would not let a 7 year old travel half a mile alone, but parents in JC do it all the time, I see 7 and even 5 yo without a parent or guardian in the park in my area which to me is not acceptable. I started traveling alone by subway when I was about 10.

Well yeah, you live in Greenville. I don't let myself go there and basically feel like anyone under 18 being there is automatic cause for charges against the parents!

Yeah you sound like one of those people that likes to swim in their own excrement advacote, living in downtown I bet you that you already have, LOL!

Posted on: 2014/7/30 18:17
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely ridiculous.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

behind every asshole stands the b#tch who made him that way... Say hello to the other half.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/30 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/30 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to see that most of JCLIST seems to agree that helicopter parenting is out of control. I think the actions from the article are a major overreach by the authorities. As others have related, I also remember being super young and, essentially, spending almost the entire day roaming the streets of my neighborhood with other kids. We all knew to head home by supper time. Heck, if my mom felt I was spending too much time indoors, she would yell at me to go outside and play with the other kids.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Wow.. my Mom would have been serving life in prison given the amount I was allowed to do on my own at that age. Not just the park but:

Adventures down by the river walking through the saw grass.
Annoying snapping turtles (some of those suckers were big and would charge you).
Going fishing
Getting left in the car while Mom did boring shopping stuff.

By 11 I was sailing on my own. It would have been T at an earlier age but I wasn't heavy enough to turn the boat back over when it capsized.

Somehow myself and my friends (similar upbringing) all made it out alive without much more than scrapes, bruises, bee, and jelly fish stings (sailing thing again)..

But that was the 70's. I guess helicopter parenting is now a fact under force of law. Just another incentive for educated people to NOT have children.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting how the mothers are the target of arrest in these cases - where's Dad?

Posted on: 2014/7/30 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Amazing, a bunch of people beat the crap out of their kids and do God knows what else but they target a family that does what basically everyone else does. Good one.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The cops and the department on this case are idiots - I was riding my bike all around Bayonne all day when I was 7 years old - I'd be doing errands, making my own way to and from school, visiting friends and yes, even meeting up at the local playground - Haven't these dumb-ass cops watched shows like the Wonder Years or the Brady Bunch !

The pedophile reasoning is crap, as listed sex offenders are not allowed to reside near or visit a park or school.

The State, City and cops should been made accountable for creating an atmosphere of fear by their failings and suggesting its the mothers fault - The fault is with the Justice System and how cops manage listed sex offenders.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 15:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
There's a podcast of a WNYC Brian Lehrer show that I caught recently exactly about this topic (and the details about the McDonald's employee arrested for allowing her 9 year old daughter to visit the park while she worked).

The author of "Free Range Kids" was interviewed and the discussion was thought provoking:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/less-hovering-more-exercise/

Posted on: 2014/7/30 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Farking horrifying that parents get arrested for this type of stuff. I'm sure the kid will be much better off with a Mother who has an arrest record or in jail than he was before.

Wasn't there a Mom arrested for letting her 9 year old go to the park a few weeks ago. 9? Holy crap how long do I have to have 100% surveillance of my child in order to not be arrested?

Posted on: 2014/7/30 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i really think it depends on the area and the parent's judgement. I once saw a kid that must have been 5 getting on a bus with a younger sibling and I kept looking for the parent, but there was none. of course, this city/country was very safe for the most part

Posted on: 2014/7/30 14:42

Mother arrested for letting her 7 year old son go to the park by himself
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Do you think this is the right move or not?

?Didn?t think I was doing anything wrong:? Mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to go to park alone

Port St. Lucie, FL (WPTV) ? A mom faces a charge of child neglect after she allowed her son to go to a park alone. She says he?s old enough but Port St. Lucie Police disagree. Now she?s fighting back.

?I?m totally dumbfounded by this whole situation,? says Nicole Gainey.

It began last Saturday afternoon when Gainey gave her son Dominic permission to walk from their house to Sportsman?s Park .

?Honestly didn?t think I was doing anything wrong,? says Gainey, ?I was letting him go play.

It?s a half mile from their Port St. Lucie home. Dominic says it only takes him about 10 to 15 minutes to get there. During the walk, the 7-year-old passed a public pool. Someone there asked him where his mom was.

?They asked me a couple questions and I got scared so I ran off to the park and they called the cops,? says Dominic Guerrisi.

Dominic was playing at the park when an officer pulled up.

?They said ?where does your mom live,? ? says Dominic.

Police took him home. That?s when his mom was arrested and charged with child neglect. Gainey says she was shocked.

?My own bondsman said my parents would have been in jail every day,? says Gainey who paid nearly $4,000 to bond out.

The officer wrote in the report that Dominic was unsupervised at the park and that ?numerous sex offenders reside in the vicinity.?

?He just basically kept going over that there?s pedophiles and this and that and basically the park wasn?t safe and he shouldn?t be there alone,? says Gainey.

She believes Dominic is mature enough to go to the park alone during the day. Gainey adds her son always has a cell phone which she calls to check on him.

?That I?m here and safe,? says Dominic.

Gainey plans to fight the felony charge. But after this she won?t let Dominic go to the park alone. She?s afraid she?ll be arrested again.

The St. Lucie County State?s Attorney?s office says there is no law that specifies how old a child has to be before he or she can go somewhere unsupervised. It?s done on a case-by-case basis.

http://fox6now.com/2014/07/29/mother- ... -son-to-go-to-park-alone/

Posted on: 2014/7/30 14:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017