Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
It's pretty obvious that our current justice system is not working for this man. Isn't it time one of his hands is cut off?!?

Posted on: 2015/3/3 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City man with 29 prior arrests charged with string of bike thefts

By Jonathan Lin | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal 
March 02, 2015 at  5:51 PM

JERSEY CITY -- A Jersey City man with 29 prior arrests has been accused of committing a string of bicycle thefts.

Milton S. Nesbitt, who made his first appearance in Central Judicial Processing in Jersey City today via video link from the Hudson County jail in Kearny, has been charged with carrying out the thefts over the past year.

Sometime after October last year, Nesbitt used bolt cutters to steal two bicycles -- a Vita Elite Women's bike worth $829.99 and a Sirrus Comp worth $999.99 -- from a parking garage on Warren Street, according to a criminal complaint and police report.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... arrests_charged_with.html

Posted on: 2015/3/3 4:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Truth: anything secured with a cable lock, even if it's a cheap Walmart bike, could be gone in a flash.

If it's an orange or other bright-colored Walmart bike, secured with a cable lock, expect it to be gone in half a flash.

Even if you have a cheap, crappy bike, if you hope to lock it up outdoors and not have it stolen, you'll need to invest in at least two locks: a decent U-lock, to lock the frame to an immovable object; and a cable (or ideally chain), to secure the wheels to the frame/immoveable object.

If you have a cool/sexy/expensive bike, don't ever leave it unattended... even the most robust locks fall to determined thieves with the the proper tools and a couple minutes to work with.

Posted on: 2014/11/5 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ravi_uppal2004 wrote:
Bike stolen from Grove street path ,,orange road denali,

today 11/04 between 4 PM to 6.30 PM

Resized Image

Type of lock? Just shows they're not cherry picking, this was a lower end bike, the type that I ride around town, and would have thought less of a target than the $500+ bikes some people lock up at Grove.

Posted on: 2014/11/5 4:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/5 1:47
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Bike stolen from Grove street path ,,orange road denali,

today 11/04 between 4 PM to 6.30 PM

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/11/5 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
so I guess there's a bunch of bike thieves in JC. a 60 year old guy, a white homeless man in his 30's and a dark skinned teenager wearing a hoodie (the one who stole my bike).

Posted on: 2014/10/30 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Homeless man charged in bike theft string in Jersey City, Hoboken: P.A. cops

A homeless man was nabbed by Port Authority police yesterday in Jersey City and charged in a string of bicycle thefts, police said.

Edward Feuchack, whose address is listed as the Hoboken Shelter at 300 Bloomfield Ave., was arrested at the Journal Square Transportation Center at around 4 p.m. after police saw him carrying a bicycle tire, according to Joe Pentangelo, a spokesman for the Port Authority Police Department.

Feuchack, 34, was charged with theft of movable property, receiving stolen property, drug possession and possession of burglars tools, Pentangelo said.

Plain clothes officers spotted Feuchack on the plaza level of of the transportation hub with the tire and noticed he matched a description of a person who carried out multiple bicycle thefts, the spokesman noted.

More

Posted on: 2014/10/30 18:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
FYI... Caught a white male in his 60s stealing an older looking bike (not mine) while walking my 3yr old to pre-K this morning. He was wearing a grey zip-up hoodie and using a handheld circular saw near the corner of Warren and York. There's a service entrance (locked) to the apartment complex there that he was attempting to use the doorway nook as cover. He saw that I had stopped to look at him and took off with the bike and his toolbag. Wasn't about to start playing vigilante with my child as my sidekick so I called JCPD and filed a report. They said they'd patrol the area and keep an eye out.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
An idea would be to make your bike less desirable - I've seen bikes with tape all over the manufacturers logos and even some with their frame spray painted to do the same.

I often think that these ass-wipes stealing bikes have no clue about bikes, but simply target brand names.

Is it possible to buy a bike without the manufacturers logos and can those logos be purchased separately, for when you later want to sell it ?

Posted on: 2014/7/28 5:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
you are correct. a kid scoped our backyards on the compound behind Cordero (between 9th/Pavonia on Manila) and then took the opportunity to cut the cable lock on my cheapo Toys r'Us bike locked under the deck. My neighbor alerted me a few minutes after the theft as she had seen the kid walk back and forth a few times before darting into my backyard to make off with the bike.

"Hey, I just saw your bike get stolen."
"Thanks for nothing."

Posted on: 2014/7/28 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
you are correct. a kid scoped our backyards on the compound behind Cordero (between 9th/Pavonia on Manila) and then took the opportunity to cut the cable lock on my cheapo Toys r'Us bike locked under the deck. My neighbor alerted me a few minutes after the theft as she had seen the kid walk back and forth a few times before darting into my backyard to make off with the bike.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Never use a cable lock of any thickness.

They are the most easily defeated of all locks.

Robin.

This. EXACTLY. Cable locks are next to useless. They are normally easier to pick, and the cables themselves are super easy to cut with any decent bolt cutter.

As for people walking by and not saying or doing anything, don't be too quick to judge them. Sometimes, people may see something and not realize they are witnessing a crime in progress. Most people (perhaps naively) assume that the person fussing with the lock is an owner whose keys are not working well, or he is otherwise having problems trying to unlock the chain.

Ready to have your mind blown? Watch as Casey Neistat "steals" a bunch of bikes ALL OVER the city without nary an issue: Bike Thief 2012. It's a pretty funny video, given how over the top is the whole premise.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Never use a cable lock of any thickness.

They are the most easily defeated of all locks.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EBM_JC wrote:
My bike was stolen yesterday at about 3:30pm on Newark Avenue in front of Barcade. I had a Kryptonite cable lock on it, and locked it to a solid bike rack. It was a black and gray Trek 3500 hybrid bike.

Security footage shows a Latino man about 5'8" and in his mid 20's opening up a backpack, getting out tools, and spending about 10 minutes hacking away at the lock.

The most disappointing part of the footage is that it also shows at least a dozen people walking right by, looking at him, and not doing anything. The best thing we can do to prevent this sort of theft is to look out for our neighbors. If nothing else, just make a phone call to the police.

I hate hearing stories like these especially when you did everything right. Was the lock still there ? This scum went out of his way to cut that lock he had some pair of... any owner could have come outside and catch him in the act. I home you filled out the registration form with the lock company and registered it with the police dept ?

Posted on: 2014/7/25 14:55

Edited by heights on 2014/7/25 15:23:32
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
On Monday I saw an OnGuard cable lock that was cut and still wrapped around a parking sign out front of the gym on Erie St by Smith & Chang. Could be possible that it's the same guy.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 14:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/9 20:33
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My bike was stolen yesterday at about 3:30pm on Newark Avenue in front of Barcade. I had a Kryptonite cable lock on it, and locked it to a solid bike rack. It was a black and gray Trek 3500 hybrid bike.

Security footage shows a Latino man about 5'8" and in his mid 20's opening up a backpack, getting out tools, and spending about 10 minutes hacking away at the lock.

The most disappointing part of the footage is that it also shows at least a dozen people walking right by, looking at him, and not doing anything. The best thing we can do to prevent this sort of theft is to look out for our neighbors. If nothing else, just make a phone call to the police.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 12:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Bike specific GPS trackers are out there, here's one:

http://bikespike.com

Best place to mount would be either under the saddle or inside seat post.

thank for this info. I have been using now discontinued gamin gtu in my car as lo-jack device.

http://www.cnet.com/products/garmin-gtu-10/

I had used it on my road bike in the past by storing it in a small tool bag under the saddle. The problem with these devices is the battery life and need for clear GPS signal. Works pretty good in cars if you hard wire it but once bike is indoors and battery is dead game over.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Bike specific GPS trackers are out there, here's one:

http://bikespike.com

Best place to mount would be either under the saddle or inside seat post.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
San Francisco cops using "bait bikes" loaded with GPS to catch bike thieves. I love this. Love love love it. Having had three bikes stolen over a lifetime, I'm really glad to see something like this...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/28/us/ ... in-bike-thieves.html?_r=0

I have been thinking about how to GPS my bike for a while... It would be the move. I cannot believe this item does not exist yet.

I would think the biggest problem is keeping it perpetually powered, a solar cell would be a giveaway, no? Otherwise, you'd need to change or charge batteries all the time like it was a cell phone.

Re the sting article: Sorry, but locking up a $1500 bike on the street is stupid. That's what cheapo beater "city bikes" are for. My 15 year old Costco bike has rarely been harassed while locked up anywhere in town. I'm sure riding a great bike on trail or long road runs is wonderful, but I can't see it's worth it for banging around town.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
San Francisco cops using "bait bikes" loaded with GPS to catch bike thieves. I love this. Love love love it. Having had three bikes stolen over a lifetime, I'm really glad to see something like this...

I have been thinking about how to GPS my bike for a while... It would be the move. I cannot believe this item does not exist yet.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 14:23
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
If the number of bikes for sale on Jersey and Newark(around 20) this weekend is any indicator, Grove St bikes might have a new bike shop to compete with.
Great deals too. $20-50 and most of them had a nice new coat of paint!

Posted on: 2014/5/29 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/29 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A 39-year-old Jersey City man was arrested and charged with stealing a girl's bike from a Bayonne backyard on Saturday, according to police.

Israel David Santiago was arrested by police at around 6:30 a.m. after cops spotted him riding a girl's bike while carrying another bike over his shoulder, police said, adding that Santiago was swerving in and out of traffic as he struggled to carry the second bike.

Santiago, a Bramhall Avenue resident, was charged with theft, possession of burglary tools, criminal trespass and hindering apprehension, according to police.

When Santiago was questioned by police, he first claimed that he was on his way to work and gave three different locations for his place of employment. Officers then checked the business where Santiago claimed he worked and found he did not work there, authorities said.

Santiago also did not tell officers his full name when he was first questioned, police said.

The Jersey City man finally told police his full name and admitted that he stole the bicycles in the area of West 20th Street. He added that he was planning on selling them in Jersey City, according to police.

The girl's bike that Santiago was riding was later discovered to be stolen from a backyard on 40th Street, police said.

While searching Santiago, police said they found a pair of cutting pliers.

Santiago is being held on $10,000 bail, with a 10-percent option. He was transported to the Hudson County Jail.

JJ

Posted on: 2014/5/20 22:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/3 17:00
From Jersey City heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all, my Fuji Suncrest bike was stolen yesterday on Sunday, August 25th at between 1:30-2pm at Pavonia Newport Mall.
It was locked up to the bike lack nearby Crazy8 kids clothing store.
I would like to ask you all to inform me if you see anyone riding this bike or anywhere it is located.?
That would be very appreciated and reward available for any useful informations.

Also I wound highly recommend you all who goes to the mall to not to leave your bike there because the security camera right up there is broken.?

My bike is blue and white Fuji and :?
Suncrest is the model name and is written on top tube
26" vuelta wheels
black rigid surly fork
avid elixir 1 hydro disc brakes
flat BBB handle bars
specialized stem
suntour triple crank

Thank you for reading this and hope all of your bikes are in the safe place!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/26 2:08
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/29 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
My Blue-black Diamondback Sorrento got stolen today from outside Gulls Cove, 201 Marin Bvld around 3-4pm. It was tied to a lamppost with an Avenir cable lock and the perp managed to cut super neatly through the cable. Makes me wonder what kind of plier is he carrying...

Funny thing, my wife's Schwinn Discover bike was chained to the same post with a similar Avenir cable lock and the thief didnt take that...so probably the guy was working alone.

Went down to the East district police station and filed a complaint.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 1:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/5 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Just need to chime in and vent a little. Let's see - a block away from Hamilton Park (right by JCPD east), two thefts a few months apart. First - women's hybrid, stolen lock and all, Kryptoflex type flex cable lock (I know, never again), and next, had a back(!) wheel stolen from an otherwise locked up bike with U-lock. Locked up the bike around midnight, was stolen by 8. Amusingly, I walked outside to see the wheel stolen the same morning PSEG was doing some work on my block, so there were 2 cops right in front of me as I discovered this.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 20:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure GSB runs an honest operation. No one has ccused them of fencing stolen property. Just in case whatever circumstance caused the appearance of his bike may recur, I would browse there. Rodney certainly deserves any benefit of doubt. Hope that's clear.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 0:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jumba72 wrote:
Your bikes may turn up at local bike stores. A friend found his at Grove Street Bicycles. They only charged him $50, which is probably the cost of a tuneup.

Jumba72, that's the 2nd time you've mentioned your "friend" finding their stolen bike at GSB. I don't know if you're intending it, but you are making it sound like GSB would sell stolen bikes. I know Rodney and they would never do that. They only sell new bikes. They accept used bikes and donate them to charity (can't remember the name).
Maybe someone bought the stolen bike on the street from some thief and then brought it into GSB to have it fixed or tuned-up and your friend saw it when it was there for work?

We really need clarification from your friend about what happened.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Take a ride up to St Lucys shelter and check out the unlocked bikes leaning on the fence. Just be careful. Nobody is going to let you "steal" a bike that they have already "boosted".

Posted on: 2013/8/23 5:33
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017