Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pothole Inventory Report List
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I don't how I feel about this new development... On the one hand, I am glad that the potholes are being addressed. On the other hand, I am not at all happy that they are just being filled in. Many (most?) of the potholes around my neighborhood are being filled in, but the rollers are not being used (or, are being used poorly) to make the fillings as flat as possible. So, you end up with bumps on the road. That's a very poor solution.

Driving and riding around in NYC, I have been noticing a lot of roads being milled for new pavement. I am sure it is very costly, but that's a much better solution LONG TERM, and will likely yield a road surface that will endure this coming winter much better than if it had been patched. I shudder thinking of what the roads will look like in 4 to 6 months, after all the fillings get ripped apart and winter settles in.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 10:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City begins 'aggressive' campaign to fill potholes

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
July 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM

America's Golden Door, or Pothole City?

Four months after spring began, Jersey City is still struggling to repair the thousands of potholes left on its streets during one of the coldest winters on record.

Some of the potholes are big enough that residents call them "caverns." Three have their own Twitter accounts.

Communipaw Avenue man Johnny Rivera, 47, said two potholes at Communipaw and Whiton Street have been annoying drivers for months.

Pointing to one, Rivera said, "It's not a pothole, it's a sinkhole."

Well, those potholes are finally gone, and help is on the way to repair more.

Since the winter thaw, the city says it has filled over 5,000 potholes, but about 1,700 remain. Bayonne ? which is less than half the size of Jersey City ? has repaired about 5,500 potholes and have about 12 leftover, according to its municipal services director.

Jersey City announced last week that it is starting a new, "aggressive" campaign to combat potholes that involves the autonomous Municipal Utilities Authority. The MUA will hire new workers and acquire new equipment to repair potholes starting this week, according to its executive director, Dan Becht.

Read more from the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/7/30 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Couldn't agree more about Pacific. It's an embarrassment - but... I almost don't want to see it fixed because the traffic is already so bad in the mornings from people jumping off the turnpike to cut through to the tunnel. I realize it isn't a huge deterrent but every little bit helps.

I have actually had these thoughts in the past. Unfortunately, the traffic from commuters cutting through our neighborhood has only gotten worse over the past few weeks, and I don't think anything will change that, not even out pockmarked streets.

Quote:

(I couldn't believe the traffic cone "solution" that was employed for about two months in that two feet deep crater under the turnpike. That hole is so deep that it's been patched twice already and it won't hold.)

The cone solution was the stupidest, saddest joke. Unfortunately, nothing has really been done. Every time they patch those big holes, rains and traffic rip out the temporary band aids. I am expecting Pacific to remain as it is for another year or two. It took VERY LONG for Columbus to be fixed, and that was a main thoroughfare into many areas in downtown.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I want to start a new web series called "Pothole Hunter" in which I use an Australian accent and find the 10 Worst Potholes in Jersey City. Fox Place was pretty impressive, so far.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Couldn't agree more about Pacific. It's an embarrassment - but... I almost don't want to see it fixed because the traffic is already so bad in the mornings from people jumping off the turnpike to cut through to the tunnel. I realize it isn't a huge deterrent but every little bit helps.

What am I saying??? Pave the damn street!

(I couldn't believe the traffic cone "solution" that was employed for about two months in that two feet deep crater under the turnpike. That hole is so deep that it's been patched twice already and it won't hold.)

Posted on: 2014/7/6 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I honestly don't know where to start with Pacific. About to just screen capture the entire street on Google Maps lol.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Tweet pics and locations of these potholes to @terrencemcd, I saw on twitter he might be doing a story on them.

How do you take a picture that covers the ENTIRE length of an Avenue?? Because ALL of Pacific, from Grand to Communipaw, is a pothole nightmare, on top of uneven asphalt.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It's fine if residents call in pothole locations but this is the citys job.

You are a piece of work... I would argue that it is OUR job, as fine, upstanding citizens, to proactively help our city be the best it can be.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Tweet pics and locations of these potholes to @terrencemcd, I saw on twitter he might be doing a story on them.

How do you take a picture that covers the ENTIRE length of an Avenue?? Because ALL of Pacific, from Grand to Communipaw, is a pothole nightmare, on top of uneven asphalt.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It's fine if residents call in pothole locations but this is the citys job. One employee could drive the entire city in a week and log them in the repair network. Word on the street is the citys very pricey "pothole fixers" are out of commission due to failure to properly purge them of tar after each use.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/6 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackp wrote:
BTW, I thought Pacific was supposed to be repaved this year. That would eliminate about 25% of the pothole count in JC. Anybody hear about that?

2014 Pacific Avenue is like 2010 Christopher Columbus Drive. So pitifully torn up that it is actually worse than some roads in some third world countries.

There is also a MASSIVE pot hole on Merseles St, just south of Bright St, that can/will damage a rim, or possibly break someone's axle. Whenever I go past it on a motorcycle, it scares me half to death to think what if I forget and hit it. A lawsuit waiting to happen!!

Posted on: 2014/7/6 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
With the new grille installed at the DPW Directors office, why would anybody want to leave to fix potholes?

Hey Mike, pass me another PBR.

BTW, I thought Pacific was supposed to be repaved this year. That would eliminate about 25% of the pothole count in JC. Anybody hear about that?

Posted on: 2014/7/5 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I am waiting for 3 since March on Columbia Ave. on the Western Slope in the Heights section of town. Make sure if you call the RRC to get a work order number for each pothole reported. This will be good for reference towards repair or insurance claims as well.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 15:19
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone else had problems with getting pot holes in public streets repaired recently?

My neighbor and I independently and unbeknown to each other reported several portholes on our street mid-May and they have still not been fixed - almost 2 months later.

We raised the requests on JC web site and have been in touch with RRC via email - still no fix.

Anyone else with similar experience? Anyone that have had pot holes repaired quickly recently?

Posted on: 2014/7/3 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone filled out the forms from Risk Management?
I called and they emailed me forms to fill out.
It's about 9 pages. I had to replace my hub bearings and still need to do the alignment due to this bad pothole.
PM me if u have did this claim before from Jersey City and what the turnout was.
Thx

Posted on: 2014/5/25 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
For those of you living in the 21st century:

- download the app: http://seeclickfix.com/apps
- take a photo on your smartphone and send
- track on http://seeclickfix.com/jersey-city

Posted on: 2014/5/23 11:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
we don't have any funds left to fix potholes after we pay all our public servants their overpaid wages and pensions

city hall should take a note from the corporate world of bad capitalists and pay their workers the minimum wage ... putting asphalt into a hole or answering a phone or typing a letter in city hall is no more skilled then flipping burgers and dealing with irate customers at McD's!

Posted on: 2014/5/23 2:14
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 1:37
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for starting this thread! Every morning I go north on Erie past the entrance to the Holland Tunnel and left on to the Pulaski. It's a freakin pothole nightmare. My left side of my car is messed up from it! I will call, thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/22 21:33

Pothole Inventory Report List
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to start an address list for those crator like potholes and any others that might be a danger to cyclists, drivers, and pedestrains. Drivers swerving out of the way at the last minute may create an avalanche of injuries, deaths, and damages. Putting the cross streets will help the cause. Call either the Resident Response Center 547-4900 or the DPW 547-4400 you may also call the city operator 547-5000. If damages are inncurred then call Risk Management 547-5034.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 10:54
Get on your bikes and ride !

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017