Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Parking ticket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

victoriamh wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else has gotten a ticket recently for parking too close to a crosswalk. I am aware that some corners are signed to indicate the space required between the curb and a parked car but the corner I was parked on was not. Is it worth disputing?

The law in the State of NJ is that cars can not park within 25 feet of the curb. Signs are not required for that to be enforced, although posting signs (as a reminder) is a nice courtesy.

I have noticed stepped up enforcement of the 25 feet rule in the PAD neighborhood, as well as on some streets in DTJC. Enforcement is uneven, of course.

Posted on: 2017/3/3 11:09

Parking ticket

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:27
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Just wondering if anyone else has gotten a ticket recently for parking too close to a crosswalk. I am aware that some corners are signed to indicate the space required between the curb and a parked car but the corner I was parked on was not. Is it worth disputing?

Posted on: 2017/3/3 3:52

Re: Parking Too Close to Crosswalks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

Not commenting on any other subject here, but I know that intersection pretty well, and in my opinion the illegal parking on the outside of the turn contributes to the turning problems ... which is why it's illegal. A truck could swing wider around the inside vehicle if it weren't going to hit the outside vehicle. Don't know if it would clear that way, but whatever.

But the Councilman's car is in a spot that, relative to the turn from Newark, you would expect a car to be on any block. The fact that Bay is there creating the no parking zone, doesn't effect the geometry of your typical turn.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Don't forget stealing from the county.

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
The councilman is NOT a LEO and should NOT have a PBA shield.

And he is still allowed to drive legally in light of his DWI?

Jersey City at its best!

Obviously, he's got friends in high places. Bet nothing happens to him.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget stealing from the county.

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:

Jersey City at its best!

Posted on: 2016/2/17 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City at its best!

Posted on: 2016/2/17 19:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/17 18:37
From dt
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster is correct, as is Elsquid.
I think that car may have pulled up after the engine, I'll post the video later and we can decide for ourselves.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Not to defend him, but your story is suspect, the geometry fails given where the car was parked. It looks like the car parked on the INSIDE of the turn right at the corner, visible in the photo, is the one that would cause a turning firetruck problems.

The last thing I'd want to do is channel Yvonne, but personally I think the marking of parking spots in the Newark corridor eliminated many spots like this one that should have been legal and had meters. It's silly that the whole island of Pino's Pizza has only 2 legal spots on it. Didn't there used to be 3 meters there on Newark?

Resized Image

Not commenting on any other subject here, but I know that intersection pretty well, and in my opinion the illegal parking on the outside of the turn contributes to the turning problems ... which is why it's illegal. A truck could swing wider around the inside vehicle if it weren't going to hit the outside vehicle. Don't know if it would clear that way, but whatever.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Not to defend him, but your story is suspect, the geometry fails given where the car was parked. It looks like the car parked on the INSIDE of the turn right at the corner, visible in the photo, is the one that would cause a turning firetruck problems.

The last thing I'd want to do is channel Yvonne, but personally I think the marking of parking spots in the Newark corridor eliminated many spots like this one that should have been legal and had meters. It's silly that the whole island of Pino's Pizza has only 2 legal spots on it. Didn't there used to be 3 meters there on Newark?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/2/17 17:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/17 18:37
From dt
Group:
Registered Users
10.45 am Presidents day I see a fire truck, with emergency lights on, having difficulty turning from Newark onto Erie.
Resized Image

After some reversing the truck is able to make the turn, as I get closer I notice the illegally parked car that was preventing the fire truck's progress.
Resized Image

Resized Image

Unsurprisingly the vehicle had both a PBA shield and an Official Jersey City Business placard.
Resized Image

Let's take a closer look.
Resized Image

Yep, same councilman who a few days previously opposed measures to prevent this sort of thing.

"Councilman Khemraj Ramchal, who proposed an ordinance last year that would allow even more parking in front of resident houses, opposed the ordinance and asked for it to be tabled for further discussion."

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... sidewalks-?#ixzz407Sny2p5

The same councilman who was arrested for DWI last March -

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2015/03/councilman_chico.html

The same councilman charged with stealing from the county for his no show job -gps_records_show_movements_of_jersey_city_councilm.html
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2015/03/councilman_chico.html

The same councilman who used his city provided vehicle for personal use -
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... jersey_city_councilm.html

Posted on: 2016/2/17 16:44

Edited by messenger on 2016/2/17 17:14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Even if you made the fines upwards of $1,000.00, nothing will change. In the end, the worst abusers are cops, or their friends/relatives/spouses. As such, they are "untouchable" and the Parking Authority will not ticket them. I am always surprised/disappointed by all the cars you see parked illegally on the corners of 2nd and Newark, and Bay and Newark. Over on Bay, you have the Keyhole Bar, next to the JCFD fire station. Always cop cars, or cars with the police badges affixed to the windshield, parked illegally on the "no parking" white lines/zones.

Who watches the Watchmen?
What about photoshopping one of those placards and putting it in our own cars? Then we could all be first among equals.

About a year ago, maybe more, there was a funny article in the NYT in which a reporter accompanied parking enforcement officers in NYC and he reported that it is actually a common thing where cars with police and other law enforcement placards would regularly be spared tickets, but most interesting is that he reported that many cars were displaying highly questionable placards but still escaped getting a ticket, and he then mentions a totally bogus placard alluding to a non existing city agency that actually fooled the officers.

So, if you feel like pushing your luck with a fake placard, you are likely going to get away with it just fine. CRAZY.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 14:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Even if you made the fines upwards of $1,000.00, nothing will change. In the end, the worst abusers are cops, or their friends/relatives/spouses. As such, they are "untouchable" and the Parking Authority will not ticket them. I am always surprised/disappointed by all the cars you see parked illegally on the corners of 2nd and Newark, and Bay and Newark. Over on Bay, you have the Keyhole Bar, next to the JCFD fire station. Always cop cars, or cars with the police badges affixed to the windshield, parked illegally on the "no parking" white lines/zones.

Who watches the Watchmen?
What about photoshopping one of those placards and putting it in our own cars? Then we could all be first among equals.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
The police don't address parking. They have said its not their job, its for the parking authority.

The Jersey City police don't seem to believe in the broken windows philosophy, or they have a threshold on which crimes can be committed in this city.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

No place to walk?
Council may increase penalties for cars parked across sidewalks

by Al Sullivan
Reporter staff writer
Feb 14, 2016

The Jersey City Council voted to table an ordinance at its Feb. 10 meeting that would give city inspectors the right to issue tickets to cars blocking sidewalks. But several council members said they intend to bring the issue up again.

“A woman with a baby carriage should not have to go into the street to get around cars illegally parked,” said Councilwoman Candace Osborne, one of the leading supporters of the ordinance.

Parking across sidewalks is already illegal in Jersey City. But Osborne said that most police are assigned to high crime areas. So often these parking violations are not ticketed. She said by allowing inspectors to issue summons, vehicle owners may be discouraged from continuing the practice.

Nick Taylor, of the city’s Zoning Office, said his department routinely receives complains about these cars, but his inspectors don’t have the authority to issue a summons.

The proposed ordinance would prohibit parked cars from blocking sidewalks or right-of-ways.

Fines under the proposed ordinance would be significantly higher than those faced if a police officer issued a ticket.

Currently, a ticket for blocking a sidewalk results in a fine of $53 plus $33 for court costs. A ticket issued by an inspector would be $250 for a first offense and $500 for subsequent offenses.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 6:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Is there a way to file a complaint against a law enforcement officer in JC, similar to CCRB in NYC?

We need to start taking pictures and filing official complaints if we see cops in those spots.

The problem is, it's one more thing to do in an already busy life. It should not have to be our job to make sure city employees abide by the law.

Has anyone complained to Candace Osborne or the Mayor about this?

Posted on: 2014/7/29 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/29 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
I likethe idea of the bike racks. SOmething needs to be done. THis is such a safetly hazard and people seem to have no regard for it. It makes me so angry. This should be a priority for the parkig authority. They should start giving out $1000 tickets for parking in these spots.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
You know what's great for stopping this? Bike corrals, like they have in Hoboken.

Basically you put a bike rack in the street at curbside at the end of the block. Bikes can park there, and their small size and skeletal design allows drivers to see traffic approaching on cross streets (good), cars physically can't park there illegally (good), and cyclists get more parking (good).

It's all good!

Posted on: 2014/7/29 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Or we could let the free market figure it out, and people can either pay for parking or get rid of their cars.

+1

Posted on: 2014/7/29 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
since a bulk of the cars parked at crosswalks downtown have "friends of JCPD" badges in the windshields, this won't escalate AT ALL.

I'd take photos of the badges that include the car plates plus their proximity to the crosswalk or other offence and post them here and send a copy to Fulop, your local councilman, cityhall and the media with a 'please explain'

I'd even call the JCPA and make a complaint and see what they do - A photo of them turning a blind eye would be gold !

JCPA won't do a thing. I watched them ticket a couple of cars for expired meters but not the car in front of them that was parked not only too close to the corner but in a crosswalk. The car belonged to a poplular police officer who lived on that street & was home sleeping.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
since a bulk of the cars parked at crosswalks downtown have "friends of JCPD" badges in the windshields, this won't escalate AT ALL.

I'd take photos of the badges that include the car plates plus their proximity to the crosswalk or other offence and post them here and send a copy to Fulop, your local councilman, cityhall and the media with a 'please explain'

I'd even call the JCPA and make a complaint and see what they do - A photo of them turning a blind eye would be gold !

Posted on: 2014/7/29 4:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Well this looks like the new trend of the month is spray painting cars, yeah that'll teach 'em. And those video cameras are junk.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Well this looks like the new trend of the month is spray painting cars, yeah that'll teach 'em. And those video cameras are junk.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:14
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/16 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
I parked my car one morning after the street sweeper went through. I was the first car on that section of the block so I parked right up to the "No parking sign" so everyone could stagger behind me.

A women pulled up behind me but left a lot of space; just enough to fit maybe a Smart car. As she got out if her car I said she should move up so more cars could fit. And she replied, "But then my car won't be in front of my house."

Seriously?

Amazing. I've often wondered what goes through some people's heads when they do stupid stuff. Turns out it's as selfish and clueless as I had always guessed.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen this happen before in the same neighborhood as vigilante. I parked my car one morning after the street sweeper went through. I was the first car on that section of the block so I parked right up to the "No parking sign" so everyone could stagger behind me.

A women pulled up behind me but left a lot of space; just enough to fit maybe a Smart car. As she got out if her car I said she should move up so more cars could fit. And she replied, "But then my car won't be in front of my house."

Seriously?

Posted on: 2012/10/16 10:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I sympathize Vigalante, but unless you saw them park you can't be sure that they were to blame, rather than the cars moving around them.

I have come back to my car to find it in a similar position on occasion.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/10/16 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Having done some driving downtown lately (I'm 99.9% a pedestrian), the parking close to corners (let alone crosswalks) thing is totally out of control. There is no way to check for oncoming traffic at many intersections without at least partially pulling into the intersection.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Jersey City allows this situation to persist, and a lack of parking spots on the street is in no way a valid excuse for looking the other way on this issue.

Step 1: repaint the red curbs.

Step 2: recommunicate to the public exactly what the red curbs mean

Step 3: aggressive enforcement

Step 2a: recommunicate to the police exactly what the red curbs mean and enact a no tolerance policy. LEAD by example!

Posted on: 2011/6/14 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Having done some driving downtown lately (I'm 99.9% a pedestrian), the parking close to corners (let alone crosswalks) thing is totally out of control. There is no way to check for oncoming traffic at many intersections without at least partially pulling into the intersection.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Jersey City allows this situation to persist, and a lack of parking spots on the street is in no way a valid excuse for looking the other way on this issue.

Step 1: repaint the red curbs.

Step 2: recommunicate to the public exactly what the red curbs mean

Step 3: aggressive enforcement

Posted on: 2011/6/14 18:33

Re: no parking in crosswalks? *wink*
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Too funny. I saw that NJ Transit bus & had a hard time making a turn because of it. Was very surprised no one was a the wheel too.
JCPD usually drives right past that stuff too even though like the pictures they park on the corners all the time.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 18:11

Re: no parking in crosswalks? *wink*
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Here's one of my favorites, I've seen this numerous times from delivery vehicles too. The driver is not in his seat, he's in the back. Meanwhile anyone coming behind him to cross Coles has to be completely in the intersection before they can see oncoming traffic. It's a perfect setup for a t-bone. Photobucket

Posted on: 2011/6/14 1:50

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017