Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Mayor Fulop's "Stop The Drop" Anti-Litter Summer Youth Employment

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 6:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is it too late if I want to get my 16 year old involved in this program this summer?

Posted on: 2017/4/11 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Stop the Drop? Someone didn't get the message

By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on April 06, 2017 at 4:35 PM, updated April 06, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Jersey City's "Stop the Drop" program -- entering its fifth year -- has been a success by all accounts. 

Each summer, the city's streets are cleaned by crews of Jersey City residents from 16 to 21 years old. The city has also enlisted homeowners and businesses to take the pledge to be vigilant in keeping their neighborhoods clean.

And when the Stop-the-Drop Crews are not out there, the city has posted signs that remind people that littering is for lazy losers.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... idnt_get_the_message.html

Posted on: 2017/4/7 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
I have the signs on my property & my dad's. This guy said he would come back and give us a free broom & dustpan to clean up. That was 3 weeks ago.
Did anyone else get their free brooms yet?

Posted on: 2014/9/10 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Sounds like exploitation to me. Very similar to companies that hire summer interns and pay them nothing.

These are 'makeup' jobs meant to keep kids occupied during the summer and out of trouble, and to try and instill a work ethic. It's a noble thing. As you know, JC already has a department to clean the streets.

Besides, JC is paying these kids far above what they could.

What is the New Jersey under 18 minimum wage?

New Jersey employers may pay 18 year olds and minors the youth minimum wage of $4.25 for the first 90 days of employment. Other labor law exemptions for minors in New Jersey may exist.

I started working summers when I was 15 years old. It taught me responsibility & gave me a financial freedom my non working friends didn't have.

Would you rather see these kids hanging out & getting into mischief? Or would you rather see them doing something constructive & earning some pocket change? Maybe by cleaning up a mess that they may have helped create will give them a different view on things.

BTW, these kids are not dumped in an area & left to their own devices. There is an adult with them making sure everything goes as it should.

Er, you entirely missed the point of my response. I suggest you read it again, especially the part where I said 'it's a noble thing'.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Sounds like exploitation to me. Very similar to companies that hire summer interns and pay them nothing.

These are 'makeup' jobs meant to keep kids occupied during the summer and out of trouble, and to try and instill a work ethic. It's a noble thing. As you know, JC already has a department to clean the streets.

New Jersey employers may pay 18 year olds and minors the youth minimum wage of $4.25 for the first 90 days of employment. Other labor law exemptions for minors in New Jersey may exist.

I started working summers when I was 15 years old. It taught me responsibility & gave me a financial freedom my non working friends didn't have.

Would you rather see these kids hanging out & getting into mischief? Or would you rather see them doing something constructive & earning some pocket change? Maybe by cleaning up a mess that they may have helped create will give them a different view on things.

BTW, these kids are not dumped in an area & left to their own devices. There is an adult with them making sure everything goes as it should.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Age discrimination is OK in the workplace? It's OK to pay people who are younger than you less for doing the same work that if an older person did it they would get paid more? That's not the Fulop I know.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Wait a minute. How is Fulop only paying these kids $7.50 an hour? Fulop has been railing about raising the minimum wage for a long time now espousing how it will help Jersey City residents as well as the economy. Here's a perfect opportunity to really put the money where his mouth. Instead he pays these workers only $7.50 an hour. How come he's not paying them something commensurate with his posturing such as $12 of $15 an hour?

Because they're kids and it's a summer job. The cafeteria staffs at the schools they (might) attend haven't had a raise for six years, and make far less than $12/hour.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_school_district_ha.html

Posted on: 2014/7/28 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wait a minute. How is Fulop only paying these kids $7.50 an hour? Fulop has been railing about raising the minimum wage for a long time now espousing how it will help Jersey City residents as well as the economy. Here's a perfect opportunity to really put the money where his mouth. Instead he pays these workers only $7.50 an hour. How come he's not paying them something commensurate with his posturing such as $12 of $15 an hour?

Posted on: 2014/7/28 14:44

Re: Mayor Fulop's "Stop The Drop" Anti-Litter Campaign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
The other kid won't let me sit down. He said that he is holding the seat for his friend.

Kids will be kids and often they might think that school yard rules apply in the outside world too. Maybe a polite reply would have been that it was a public bench and once your ass is off it, there is a 3 second rule to get your ass back on it - Humor might have worked on this occasion!

Posted on: 2014/7/26 23:35
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Mayor Fulop's "Stop The Drop" Anti-Litter Campaign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Two kids wearing Stop The Drop vests were waiting for the Light Rail at Newport. They were sitting on the bench. One kid got up and walk away to talk to someone. I waited a little bit and then I approached the bench to sit down. The other kid won't let me sit down. He said that he is holding the seat for his friend.

These are representatives of Jersey City.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/mayor.aspx?id=13354

Posted on: 2014/7/26 22:24

Stop the Drop a GREAT IDEA!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Living by Bayside Park it is really unbelievable how much litter is dropped every day in that park. Initially i was naive to think that there were not enough garbage cans so we got the city to add a bunch more. It hardly made a difference.

I would like to see an additional requirement that any league or organized use of the parks for baseball, basketball, etc clean the facility up when they are done for the day. Not just the losers but all the participants. If the kids and young adults have to pick up their trash, and that left by their friends, i think that could help to break the culture of "its cool to send a FU out by littering".

Not to take away from this great initiative that will really help make JC more livable!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 16:22

Re: Fulop Expands Summer Jobs Program by 125 Positions to Provide Employment to 442 City Youth
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
great! i hope the city finds some way to promote academic excellence through its summer jobs programs such as attendance and GPA hurdles.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 15:21

Mayor Fulop's "Stop The Drop" Anti-Litter Summer Youth Employment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop Administration Already Working on Plan for 1,000 Jobs for City Youth for Next Summer

JERSEY CITY, NJ ? June xx, 2013 ? Mayor-elect Steven Fulop today announced that he expanding Jersey City?s summer jobs program by 125 positions to provide employment to 442 city youth and plans are already underway to expand it to 1,000 jobs for next summer.

Fulop, who takes office on July 1, campaigned on a platform of increasing the number of part-time summer positions as a way to reduce loitering and curb crime, as well as provide city youth with valuable work experience.

For the first time some jobs will be shifted out of the Department of Recreation to a new anti-litter program called ?Stop the Drop,? which will pair summer workers with employees from the Department of Public Works for litter patrol, curb painting and weed and graffiti removal. The objective of the program is to use experiential learning to promote a better understanding of litter problems and city maintenance.

?My goal is to get more youth off Jersey City streets during the summer and involved in productive activities,? Fulop said. ?The teenagers will earn money and learn the value of hard work while staying away from the activities that can get them into trouble.?

The program is being expanded without any additional cost to city taxpayers by changing the number of hours to 15 from 20. The hourly wage will remain at $7.50. The program will employ 26 recreation pool attendants, 15 recreation park aides, four concession stand staffers and 80 ?Stop the Drop? staffers.

Fulop said his administration has already begun working on a plan for 1,000 jobs for next summer that will work in conjunction with a year-round afterschool program run by the Board of Education.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 15:11

Edited by Webmaster on 2014/7/27 0:25:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017