Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: West Indian Caribbean American Carnival
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, we agree then. Thanks for clarifying. They should just shut it all down, nobody needs these festivals. Waste of time and money. They are all the same terrible music and mostly terrible food mixed with drunken violence that infiltrates neighborhoods that don't welcome it.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The logic is simple, and not a disservice to the IRA. I've never seen such a heavy-handed JCPD shut-down of any event at Exchange Place. The JCPD need to explain that. They f**ked up big time in my book by not even recognizing in advance that there might be a problem. And they f**ked up big time in not coordinating response with the event's organizers. I think what happened here is there were short fuses on both sides - police and attendees. And our city fuckwits failed to recognise that might happen.

If (and it's a big if) the IRA had shot someone from the JCPD, there would have been a dialogue on whether this kind of event should take place. Instead - nothing happened. You had a lot of JCPD officers on one side that just recently buried one of their own. And a bunch of guys on the other side asking questions.

For #OOPS#'s sake. Any 5-year-old moron could have predicted there'd be a problem.

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your approach here. First of all which POS are we talking about? I assume you mean either Lawrence Campbell or Lavon King? Were they West Indian? Or are you assuming that all black people are in some way related to people of West Indian decent and therefore must take revenge on the JCPD? I think that you are doing your beloved IRA a disservice by comparing these two common criminals to them. What do you think the IRA would think of your comparison?

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Oh I hope this will shut it down next year, how great would that be for the community? Fantastic! I love that it was the organizer that attempted to assault a police officer. Someone should remind him he's not in the West Indies. Moron.

If the IRA had shot a JCPD police officer on the street a week or 2 before the Irish festival at Exchange Place, how do you think the event would have been managed?

Moron.
(Disclosure - I'm Irish)

Posted on: 2014/7/29 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
The logic is simple, and not a disservice to the IRA. I've never seen such a heavy-handed JCPD shut-down of any event at Exchange Place. The JCPD need to explain that. They f**ked up big time in my book by not even recognizing in advance that there might be a problem. And they f**ked up big time in not coordinating response with the event's organizers. I think what happened here is there were short fuses on both sides - police and attendees. And our city fuckwits failed to recognise that might happen.

If (and it's a big if) the IRA had shot someone from the JCPD, there would have been a dialogue on whether this kind of event should take place. Instead - nothing happened. You had a lot of JCPD officers on one side that just recently buried one of their own. And a bunch of guys on the other side asking questions.

For #OOPS#'s sake. Any 5-year-old moron could have predicted there'd be a problem.

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your approach here. First of all which POS are we talking about? I assume you mean either Lawrence Campbell or Lavon King? Were they West Indian? Or are you assuming that all black people are in some way related to people of West Indian decent and therefore must take revenge on the JCPD? I think that you are doing your beloved IRA a disservice by comparing these two common criminals to them. What do you think the IRA would think of your comparison?

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Oh I hope this will shut it down next year, how great would that be for the community? Fantastic! I love that it was the organizer that attempted to assault a police officer. Someone should remind him he's not in the West Indies. Moron.

If the IRA had shot a JCPD police officer on the street a week or 2 before the Irish festival at Exchange Place, how do you think the event would have been managed?

Moron.
(Disclosure - I'm Irish)

Posted on: 2014/7/29 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Moron.
(Disclosure - I'm Irish)

Posted on: 2014/7/29 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Moron.
(Disclosure - I'm Irish. Real Irish, not Healy-wannabe.)

Posted on: 2014/7/29 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/29 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
You can never be too careful...better to have more than less protection. Especially if you are not sure what the police are walking into these days.

You never know.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Mike D'Onofrio | The Jersey Journal
on July 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM

The fight between police and main organizer of the West Indian Caribbean festival that brought the event to a grinding halt was "just a big misunderstanding," says a Jersey City councilman.

Khemraj "Chico" Ramchal, Ward B councilman, said the fight between Gordon Callender and police that led to Callender's arrest was an unfortunate end to the 19th annual parade and carnival at Exchange Place on Saturday.

"From what I have [gathered], there was a error in communications and understanding that resulted in a disagreement," Ramchal said, who attended the event earlier in the day as its grand marshal.

The fight broke out over when the day-long festival of music, food, and dancing was supposed to end.

The police arrived at Exchange Place intent on unplugging the music and ending the carnival shortly after 7 p.m. on Saturday. However, festival organizers had a city permit to extend the party until 9 p.m., according to documents given to The Jersey Journal.

Callender, 22, reportedly told police that the carnival had city permits, said Hasan Ahmed, a member of the event committee, but he was ignored by police.

The official police report said Callender "charged off the stage and came toward the officers," and began yelling and cursing.

When an officer grabbed Callender's left arm to "remove" him from another officer, Callender pushed the officer back, according to reports.

When officers tried to arrest Callender, people in the crowd entered the fray, and during the tussle several officers had their badges ripped from their uniforms, according to reports.

Ramchal, who said he had yet to speak with police or event organizer's about the brawl, said fights are rare at the festival and this was an "isolated incident, not the norm."

"I believe, for the greater good, the Police Department always errs on the side of caution," Ramchal said. "I am sure Police Department's intent or action were not malicious in nature. Just a big misunderstanding."

However, Ahmed, who said he witnessed the fight on Saturday, maintains that officers "escalated" the situation and used "excessive force" with Callender.

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop's office did not immediately return calls for comment.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I'm confused. I saw the flatbed parade float with music blasting on Montgomery and Greene around 3:30 PM, there was a small crowd of maybe 100 people. Later, around 5:30, it appeared that the same float or one also affiliated with the event (playing the same style of music) was driving down Columbus Drive heading from Grove St. towards the waterfront.

The permit says the festival was supposed to be at Grundy Pier, so what happened? Is the (possibly unauthorized) move of the location related to it being shut down early and the ensuing altercation?

Doubtful. The comments in the linked article say there had been sporadic fighting among people at this festival. So the police came to shut the whole thing down. This didn't go well with the organizers, and the police claim they started immediately cursing and fighting with them.

So I don't think any move of the location had anything to do with this.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm confused. I saw the flatbed parade float with music blasting on Montgomery and Greene around 3:30 PM, there was a small crowd of maybe 100 people. Later, around 5:30, it appeared that the same float or one also affiliated with the event (playing the same style of music) was driving down Columbus Drive heading from Grove St. towards the waterfront.

The permit says the festival was supposed to be at Grundy Pier, so what happened? Is the (possibly unauthorized) move of the location related to it being shut down early and the ensuing altercation?

Posted on: 2014/7/28 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Just saw the NJ.com piece. Looks like I passed through right before things got ugly. Too bad it turned out that way, it sounds like there should have been better coordination between the police and the organizers.

The NJ article makes it appear the police were a bit heavy-handed. All of this should have been worked out in advance - given the heightened tensions in the community.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw the NJ.com piece. Looks like I passed through right before things got ugly. Too bad it turned out that way, it sounds like there should have been better coordination between the police and the organizers.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... crime_j.html#incart_river
Event partisipants cause major problems at waterfront festival.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 12:37
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I took the ferry back to JC on Sunday at about 7. Everything seemed peaceful, but there was a HUGE police presence, including a scary-looking black tank-like vehicle. Dozens of cops were standing around with their nightsticks in their hands. It seemed like a wildly disproportionate response, but maybe they knew something I didn't.
There were also disgusting amounts of trash lying around, but that's true for all of these festivals.

You can never be too careful...better to have more than less protection. Especially if you are not sure what the police are walking into these days.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 12:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Caribbean festival in Jersey City ends with melee between cops and crowd

By Mike D'Onofrio | The Jersey Journal on July 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM, updated July 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM

This article was updated at 11 p.m. Sunday.

This year's West Indian Caribbean festival at Exchange Place in Jersey City came to an abrupt end Saturday night when a fracas broke out between the crowd and police officers, and a main organizer of the event was arrested.

At the heart of the dispute was what time the festival, which featured music, food, and dancing and was being enjoyed by hundreds of people, was supposed to end.

The police maintain the cutoff time was 7 p.m. while festival organizers say their permit allowed them to operate until 8 p.m.

JJ piece...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ime_j.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Posted on: 2014/7/28 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I took the ferry back to JC on Sunday at about 7. Everything seemed peaceful, but there was a HUGE police presence, including a scary-looking black tank-like vehicle. Dozens of cops were standing around with their nightsticks in their hands. It seemed like a wildly disproportionate response, but maybe they knew something I didn't.

There were also disgusting amounts of trash lying around, but that's true for all of these festivals.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Did I miss a notice or something? When did this website become a corollary to Stormfront.org??

I didn't see anything up on RLS Media about any incident. If you are all that concerned why not contact the local precinct in the area...instead of spreading misinformation and conjecture.

Please contact RLS media if you want to complain about misinformation, this is copied from their Facebook page.

RLS Metro Breaking News

July 26.

JERSEY CITY NJ: Several fights breaking out at a festival near Exchange Place will have police shutting down all activities.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 10:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Did I miss a notice or something? When did this website become a corollary to Stormfront.org??

I didn't see anything up on RLS Media about any incident. If you are all that concerned why not contact the local precinct in the area...instead of spreading misinformation and conjecture.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Shocker!!! Why don't they have the West Indian/Caribbean festival in the West Indian/Caribbean neighborhood and not harass the waterfront with this garbage.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
There were a lot of police rushing down to Exchange Place about 7:15 last night. I heard a rumor there was a shooting? Is that true? I have not seen anything in the Journal this morning.

I had seen on RLS Media that the JCPD shut down the party early because of multiple fistfights among revelers.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
There were a lot of police rushing down to Exchange Place about 7:15 last night. I heard a rumor there was a shooting? Is that true? I have not seen anything in the Journal this morning.

I had seen on RLS Media that the JCPD shut down the party early because of multiple fistfights among revelers.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/27 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Did anybody try the food? I tried some curry chicken and I did not like it. Which country or island has the tastiest food?

I did. Actually I tried the curry chicken and loved it. Very flavorful.

I noticed that there were 15 different places all selling the same kind of food, but only one had a huge line. That's where I went.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Did anybody try the food? I tried some curry chicken and I did not like it. Which country or island has the tastiest food?

Posted on: 2014/7/27 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Awful. Glad to see at least they stationed cops everywhere.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Who's late?

That truck didn't arrive here till 2:30.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Yea I got caught in the parade traffic earlier. This posting is about 3 hours late BTW!

Posted on: 2014/7/26 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
You can hear the music all the way at City Hall at Marin Blvd.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 20:14

West Indian Caribbean American Carnival
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The West Indian Caribbean American Carnival parked their music and speakers right at the corner of Montgomery and Greene, instead of at 1 Exchange Place.

Looks like the Port Authority has more say than the residents of Jersey City.

Way to go, Candace and Steve.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 19:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017