Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Sidewalk Repair - Who's Responsible?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. Really surprised if that turns out to be the case. Ripping up a sidewalk, and laying down a new one, would seem like it should warrant a police presence. I really hope it works out that way for you. From what others have said in these forums, the police details are pricey.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 19:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was told that, given our circumstances (low traffic area, short construction period) that that wouldn't be the case, but we'll see how it goes.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone for your input - it's always good to see JCList actually adding value.

As a follow-up for anyone else in our same situation, I confirmed with the Department of Public Works that the majority of the City's sidewalks in residential areas are, in fact, the responsibility of the property owners.

All work needs to be permitted through the DPW, Traffic Division. The fee is generally $10 - $15 (via check), and I have been told that it's a check the box type of permit process.

The permit fee may be only $10 - $15, but don't forget to factor in the costs you WILL incur in getting the requisite off-duty police detail.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 18:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to thank everyone for your input - it's always good to see JCList actually adding value.

As a follow-up for anyone else in our same situation, I confirmed with the Department of Public Works that the majority of the City's sidewalks in residential areas are, in fact, the responsibility of the property owners.

All work needs to be permitted through the DPW, Traffic Division. The fee is generally $10 - $15 (via check), and I have been told that it's a check the box type of permit process.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
[quote]
The insurance dude is right BUT there is a grey area worth seeking clarification:

1. What if a council street tree uproots your sidewalk.
2. What if a neighboring tree uproots your sidewalk.
3. What if vehicles jump the curb and partially park on the sidewalk that cause it to crack.
4. Like point 3, what if council pruning trucks or utility services do damage ... You'd have to be watching 24/7 in some DTJC locations that have delivery van doing just that!

I too believe that sidewalks should be the responsibility of Councils as the property owner should not be accountable for a public thoroughfare. Unfortunately for now we are accountable.

With trees the owner reserves 3 days to do the job;
day 1: the owner clears the area of sidewalk
day 2: the city shaves the roots of the tree (all part of tree triming)
day3: the owner replaces back the sidewalk according to code.
Speak with owner of neighboring tree and the park division of DPW to address the concern and report the incident to your insurance company, and possibly an attorney.
Get the name of the insurance company of the vehicle and report the incident to your insurance company.
Sometimes honesty goes a long way you would hope that the utility truck drivers do not cause problems but you are at the mercy of situations when you are not there to over see the job site.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 12:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
I am the head of an 8-unit condo association, and we self-manage the property.

Our insurance company recently inspected the building and provided us a list of "recommendations", which we need to comply with or they'll cancel the policy / have ground to deny future claims.

Most of the changes are reasonable, but they are asking that we repair the sidewalk in front of the building (adjacent to the street) to prevent slip-and-falls. The insurance company is claiming that the sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owners, and not Jersey City, which seems wrong to me. I'm pretty sure that individuals can't start ripping up sidewalk and pouring new concrete.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic? If, for whatever reason, the property owner's are responsible for the repair, does one need to coordinate the work through the City?

The insurance dude is right BUT there is a grey area worth seeking clarification:

1. What if a council street tree uproots your sidewalk.
2. What if a neighboring tree uproots your sidewalk.
3. What if vehicles jump the curb and partially park on the sidewalk that cause it to crack.
4. Like point 3, what if council pruning trucks or utility services do damage ... You'd have to be watching 24/7 in some DTJC locations that have delivery van doing just that!

I too believe that sidewalks should be the responsibility of Councils as the property owner should not be accountable for a public thoroughfare.
Unfortunately for now we are accountable.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 0:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

JohnHanu wrote:
Sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owner. You will need to contact the building dept to obtain any permits necessary.

Yup. The side walk is the property owner?s responsibility. That is why the city will fine you if you don?t remove the snow or trash in a timely manner. It?s a big deal if you are replacing a sidewalk on a well-traveled street. You not only need permits for the work you have to hire one or two cops for traffic control and pedestrian safety.

But I wonder who is responsible for those sloping handicap corners. The city put them in do they maintain them?

There are very clear City ordinances on snow and trash on the sidewalk as being the property owners responsibility. However, responsibility for broken sidewalks are not clearly spelled out as far as I can tell -see earlier links. And Yvonne may be right on it being linked to number of units. But instead of speculating, it's pretty simple to contact the DPW and ask.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I was told by an aide of a councilman, it depends. The city is responsible if the house is one or two family but the owner is responsible if it is 3 family or greater. I don't know if this information is accurate now. I was told this awhile back.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JohnHanu wrote:
Sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owner. You will need to contact the building dept to obtain any permits necessary.

Yup. The side walk is the property owner?s responsibility. That is why the city will fine you if you don?t remove the snow or trash in a timely manner. It?s a big deal if you are replacing a sidewalk on a well-traveled street. You not only need permits for the work you have to hire one or two cops for traffic control and pedestrian safety.

But I wonder who is responsible for those sloping handicap corners. The city put them in do they maintain them?

Posted on: 2014/7/25 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
We had the same issue with our building, there were some cracks in the sidewalk and on the stairs from the sidewalk to the first floor. Nothing major but they still said we had to fix it so we hired someone to do the work.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The online ordinances suggest it's the property owners responsibility only if they're excavating the sidewalk for other reasons, and for a period of a year or so afterwards. Either way, you'll need to contact the DPW for permission to make any change.

https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16093

So for example, I'd simply use the link below to report the broken sidewalk. If the property owner is responsible - I'm sure the DPW will contact you with details of how to go about it. Otherwise the DPW will take care of it for you.

http://mycusthelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs/RequestSelect.aspx

Posted on: 2014/7/25 20:06

Edited by dtjcview on 2014/7/25 20:22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
In NYC, sidewalk repair used to be the responsibility of the City. Until it was faced with a barrage of slip and fall lawsuits. Then they changed the law to make it the responsibility of property owners.

I'm not sure what the responsibility is for JC but I'd suspect they'd follow NYC's lead. Why wouldn't they? But to be sure you should google for this information. I'm sure it's out there.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 20:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/10 19:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/25 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I believe normal wear and tear is covered by the City. Select "Sidewalks" from the dropdown, and you can pose the specific request to the City/DPW.

http://mycusthelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs/RequestSelect.aspx

Posted on: 2014/7/25 19:55

Sidewalk Repair - Who's Responsible?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am the head of an 8-unit condo association, and we self-manage the property.

Our insurance company recently inspected the building and provided us a list of "recommendations", which we need to comply with or they'll cancel the policy / have ground to deny future claims.

Most of the changes are reasonable, but they are asking that we repair the sidewalk in front of the building (adjacent to the street) to prevent slip-and-falls. The insurance company is claiming that the sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owners, and not Jersey City, which seems wrong to me. I'm pretty sure that individuals can't start ripping up sidewalk and pouring new concrete.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic? If, for whatever reason, the property owner's are responsible for the repair, does one need to coordinate the work through the City?

Posted on: 2014/7/25 19:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017