Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If it isn't 75-25 or even 60-40 then it isn't a "vast" majority.

And Bush didn't claim that his victory was by a "vast" majority.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 15:55

Re: News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebs, you're doubling down from near unanimous to vast majority? Vast? You need to find another word.

And married women made up the single largest voter block in the election-if you take single men, single women, married men, and married women-the highest percentage of those among actual voters were-married women.

And they voted Romney.

And, sadly, the electorate gets it figured out now-the recent CNN (note-not Fox News) poll had Romney winning by 53-44% if the election were held today.

So much for hope and change! :)

The media bias, well, of course you don't buy it-because you believe that's the way it should be.

Well, Bush seemed to think the same victory was grand...

A poll about who would vote for today matters not a lick. The election isn't today and Obama can't run again. The other question would be, does Romney put Ryan back on the ticket considering how toxic he is. Similarly, A-Rod's contract hasn't expired this year. Maybe we can have Ronnie Rayguns squaring off against Arnold Schwarzenegger in a jello fight to get all the conservatives hard. Are there any other fantasy land scenarios that you'd like played out?

As for the media... No, I know that it is a fact that "the media" doesn't slant left. I know enough people that work inside of it and I understand enough of it to recognize where bias is and is not.

It is also how you failed to understand a very simple point about discourse in our nation and the role Reagan played. In short, it takes some actual critical thinking...

Posted on: 2014/7/30 12:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Pebs, you're doubling down from near unanimous to vast majority? Vast? You need to find another word.

And married women made up the single largest voter block in the election-if you take single men, single women, married men, and married women-the highest percentage of those among actual voters were-married women.

And they voted Romney.

And, sadly, the electorate gets it figured out now-the recent CNN (note-not Fox News) poll had Romney winning by 53-44% if the election were held today.

So much for hope and change! :)

The media bias, well, of course you don't buy it-because you believe that's the way it should be.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebs, if you think 55% is 'nearly unanimous' I suggest you take a remedial math course. And married women voted for Romney 53-46%. You know, the women who have husbands and kids.

Sorry about that. I should have stated ?vast majority.? However, I?m not sure why it matters if the women are married or not. Does that make them better? You don?t seem to be married. Is your girlfriend somehow inferior or less educated because of that choice?

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If TV 'news' reporters just reported then the success of talk radio never would have happened. The fact that CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS all slant left in their 'reporting' led to this-so please include NBC 'News' anchor and managing editor Brian Williams, ex President Carter intern, as a blowhard. And George Stephanopoulos for ABC 'News'-toss him in there as well.

That is, if you want to be intellectually honest rather than partisan.

Somehow being an intern makes you partisan?.okay! The rest is pure crap. You have no evidence to back up anything even remotely close to a ?left leaning slant? in reporting besides what the talk radio heads tell you. If anything, this reporter proved that there is a ton of right leaning reporters out there with jobs reporting the news. I won?t claim that they are all leaning right in their stories. But, yeah, you keep going and playing some fictitious victim card?

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Obama back on-point, telling it how it is. At least he's trying, though not sure if any "progressives" will listen:

"Sometimes African Americans, in communities where I?ve worked, there?s been the notion of 'acting white' ? which sometimes is overstated, but there?s an element of truth to it, where, okay, if boys are reading too much, then, well, why are you doing that? Or why are you speaking so properly? And the notion that there?s some authentic way of being black, that if you?re going to be black you have to act a certain way and wear a certain kind of clothes, that has to go. Because there are a whole bunch of different ways for African American men to be authentic."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/p ... es-there-on-acting-white/

I?m not sure what you mean by talking about progressives listening. What are we supposed to listen to? What would you like me to do with this information? Am I to now take it as gospel that because he said this, it must be unquestionably true?

Posted on: 2014/7/30 1:35
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Obama could have said the same about insults thrown around like "geeks" and "nerds" wrt whites. Not sure what your point is.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Obama back on-point, telling it how it is. At least he's trying, though not sure if any "progressives" will listen:

"Sometimes African Americans, in communities where I?ve worked, there?s been the notion of 'acting white' ? which sometimes is overstated, but there?s an element of truth to it, where, okay, if boys are reading too much, then, well, why are you doing that? Or why are you speaking so properly? And the notion that there?s some authentic way of being black, that if you?re going to be black you have to act a certain way and wear a certain kind of clothes, that has to go. Because there are a whole bunch of different ways for African American men to be authentic."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/p ... es-there-on-acting-white/

Posted on: 2014/7/28 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

If TV 'news' reporters just reported then the success of talk radio never would have happened.

[...]

Sigh. They did, until Saint Reagan deregulated the communication industry and eliminated the Fairness Doctrine in 1987. I was in college then and discourse was a lot more civil.

Partisan 'reporting' by the left is Reagan's fault? Jeez, that's hilarious.

Exactly the thoughtful response I anticipated. Tuning out now.

Astounding response. The Republicans stand up for the First Amendment, knowing that it will result in political favoritism against their beliefs, and you criticize them.

When we had only several over the air TV channels perhaps the Fairness Doctrine had a benefit to offer different views. Once cable TV hit, with hundreds of channels, (followed by that thing called the Internet) anyone wanting to find diverse views can easily do so.

Of course that doesn't excuse the once dominant over the air TV megachannels from becoming the partisan Democrat supporters they are now. Which has led to the popularity of cable TV in any case.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

If TV 'news' reporters just reported then the success of talk radio never would have happened.

[...]

Sigh. They did, until Saint Reagan deregulated the communication industry and eliminated the Fairness Doctrine in 1987. I was in college then and discourse was a lot more civil.

Exactly the thoughtful response I anticipated. Tuning out now.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

[...]

Posted on: 2014/7/25 10:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

[...]

Posted on: 2014/7/25 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
So - has this idiot been hired by Fox News yet?

Since what he said is basically similar to what President Obama said, do you call Obama an idiot as well?

The President is paid to opine on social issues (and, ideally, get the government going on solving them).

Reporters are supposed to report. As I said, I'm all for hard-hitting investigative reporting, but we have too many blowhards on talk radio, Fox News, etc. keeping this guy company.

If TV 'news' reporters just reported then the success of talk radio never would have happened. The fact that CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS all slant left in their 'reporting' led to this-so please include NBC 'News' anchor and managing editor Brian Williams, ex President Carter intern, as a blowhard. And George Stephanopoulos for ABC 'News'-toss him in there as well.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
So - has this idiot been hired by Fox News yet?

Since what he said is basically similar to what President Obama said, do you call Obama an idiot as well?

The President is paid to opine on social issues (and, ideally, get the government going on solving them).

Reporters are supposed to report. As I said, I'm all for hard-hitting investigative reporting, but we have too many blowhards on talk radio, Fox News, etc. keeping this guy company.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

And yes most of my friends were white growing up and we got along but that doesn't negate the fact that I knew from a very early age that my race would be an issue for some at times.

Racism is a multi-way street, as you have proven in several of your previous posts.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Middle class or affluent blacks are not impervious to racist incidents or racism in general (e.g. Oprah shopping) and most blacks will tell you that. So what if Obama grew up in Kansas, Hawaii and Indonesia. If anything, I like the fact he didn't grow in a cloistered world like the majority of the GOP (Ann & Mitt Romney). I grew up in basically an all white middle-class neighborhood with swim & tennis clubs, nice parks, etc. and we could only afford to live there because both of my parents worked in contrast to the other families. And yes most of my friends were white growing up and we got along but that doesn't negate the fact that I knew from a very early age that my race would be an issue for some at times. Being from Greenville doesn't make you authentically black as the black experience runs the gamut.

Forest, a celebrity, was reminded that his color matters to some or a means to profile. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02 ... -york-deli_n_2719712.html

And? The majority of people experience some prejudice based on some physical characteristics (short, tall, fat, skinny, ugly, pretty much every race - yes, including white people, male, female, etc.). The point is that if you claim that he didn't come from a privileged background because he is black then you are absolutely kidding yourself.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Middle class or affluent blacks are not impervious to racist incidents or racism in general (e.g. Oprah shopping) and most blacks will tell you that. So what if Obama grew up in Kansas, Hawaii and Indonesia. If anything, I like the fact he didn't grow in a cloistered world like the majority of the GOP (Ann & Mitt Romney). I grew up in basically an all white middle-class neighborhood with swim & tennis clubs, nice parks, etc. and we could only afford to live there because both of my parents worked in contrast to the other families. And yes most of my friends were white growing up and we got along but that doesn't negate the fact that I knew from a very early age that my race would be an issue for some at times. Being from Greenville doesn't make you authentically black as the black experience runs the gamut.

Forest, a celebrity, was reminded that his color matters to some or a means to profile. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02 ... -york-deli_n_2719712.html

Posted on: 2014/7/24 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Heights, closed to 100% of black votes went to Obama in both elections, showing how they identify him. Of course, if close to 100% of white voters voted for the white candidates, it would be called racism.

So yes, black Americans overwhelmingly claim President Obama as their own, regardless of his bi-racial roots or where his father was from.

Um no, rather blacks had basic common sense in not casting their votes for McCain/Palin (the mere prospect of her being president if something happened to McCain is mind boggling) and Romney/Ryan (binders full of women, corporations are people, 47% of people are leeches when he hardly pays any taxes and a party that relishes going to war).

Also, sometimes mixed people identify as black in part because of how they are perceived and treated (I think Obama said something about him having trouble getting cabs in NYC when he was younger and saying the cab drivers weren't thinking, "oh my mom is white and I was raised by white people"). My father is basically bi-racial and that did not help him in the Jim Crow south. I swear the troglodytes on here, Geez Louise.

Nonsense. And noted that although black voter turnout was huge for Obama's first win, his first term resulted in a considerably lower black turnout in his second election. Guess the novelty wore off, or (more likely) his rhetoric didn't result in personal improvements. (Same thing happened with the white college kids-lots of voter apathy in election 2012).

Please compare the black unemployment rates since Obama was elected, vs, say, how the Dow Jones has done. One hasn't improved, the other has reached record highs. Who's been the beneficiary of his policies? Not those black Amercans who voted for him, especially the unemployed youth. And I don't want to hear about an obstructionist Congress, as Obama had the whole shebang in his pocket for his first two years and frittered it away.

Obama's bi-racial profile may have stopped him from getting cabs, but he was quite the playa with the white Ivy league college girls-good for him, bad for the sistas! :)

Oh many blacks have fared worse (much it from subprime predatory lending and there being a dearth of jobs - middle class and otherwise -- and that people often get jobs through networks and there's entrenched occupational segregation) and yes an obstructionist congress doesn't help either. As the aphorism goes with respect to a bad economy, "when whites have a cold, blacks have a fever."

http://www.fromthesquare.org/?p=5783

http://rollingout.com/politics/employ ... ks-feed-their-families/#_

Sistas? Monroe, really. Sigh, are you as pathetic in real life as you appear in the virtual world? How is dating white girls remotely relevant to this conversation? Many people date across racial lines, including myself based on shared values, interests, attraction, etc. And how is that good for him? Are white women a prize? It's like you came from the 1800s or something.

I used it to point out that Obama opined at length about the challenges he had growing up bi-racial (per your cab anecdote), when in fact he led a charmed life and was raised mostly in privilege. Prep school, Ivy League, smoking great Hawaiian ganga in a surfer van-he sure didn't grow up in Greenville. (and you missed my smilie as well, lol).

Posted on: 2014/7/24 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Heights, closed to 100% of black votes went to Obama in both elections, showing how they identify him. Of course, if close to 100% of white voters voted for the white candidates, it would be called racism.

So yes, black Americans overwhelmingly claim President Obama as their own, regardless of his bi-racial roots or where his father was from.

Um no, rather blacks had basic common sense in not casting their votes for McCain/Palin (the mere prospect of her being president if something happened to McCain is mind boggling) and Romney/Ryan (binders full of women, corporations are people, 47% of people are leeches when he hardly pays any taxes and a party that relishes going to war).

Also, sometimes mixed people identify as black in part because of how they are perceived and treated (I think Obama said something about him having trouble getting cabs in NYC when he was younger and saying the cab drivers weren't thinking, "oh my mom is white and I was raised by white people"). My father is basically bi-racial and that did not help him in the Jim Crow south. I swear the troglodytes on here, Geez Louise.

Nonsense. And noted that although black voter turnout was huge for Obama's first win, his first term resulted in a considerably lower black turnout in his second election. Guess the novelty wore off, or (more likely) his rhetoric didn't result in personal improvements. (Same thing happened with the white college kids-lots of voter apathy in election 2012).

Please compare the black unemployment rates since Obama was elected, vs, say, how the Dow Jones has done. One hasn't improved, the other has reached record highs. Who's been the beneficiary of his policies? Not those black Amercans who voted for him, especially the unemployed youth. And I don't want to hear about an obstructionist Congress, as Obama had the whole shebang in his pocket for his first two years and frittered it away.

Obama's bi-racial profile may have stopped him from getting cabs, but he was quite the playa with the white Ivy league college girls-good for him, bad for the sistas! :)

Oh many blacks have fared worse (much it from subprime predatory lending and there being a dearth of jobs - middle class and otherwise -- and that people often get jobs through networks and there's entrenched occupational segregation) and yes an obstructionist congress doesn't help either. As the aphorism goes with respect to a bad economy, "when whites have a cold, blacks have a fever."

http://www.fromthesquare.org/?p=5783

http://rollingout.com/politics/employ ... ks-feed-their-families/#_

Sistas? Monroe, really. Sigh, are you as pathetic in real life as you appear in the virtual world? How is dating white girls remotely relevant to this conversation? Many people date across racial lines, including myself based on shared values, interests, attraction, etc. And how is that good for him? Are white women a prize? It's like you came from the 1800s or something.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I'm not saying they're massive racists, though, if whites displayed that kind of preference they would clearly be labeled as such. But I am saying that they displayed significant support for Obama due to race.

For Colin Powell, he even gave a huge donation to McCain UNTIL Obama became the Democratic nominee. Your Palin argument is quaint and I hated her too, but I don't see evidence that this is what was behind Powell's decision.

For Rice, she was intentionally vague on her choice and gave a tearful congratulations yet in 2012 suddenly supported Romney, most likely due to a) the possibility that she would be the VP pick (which, probably would have been smart), and b) interest in remaining in Republican politics. Pretty clear what was going on.

My point with these examples is that you have near unanimous support in a minority population the likes of which would be considered clear proof of racism if it was applied to white voters in a similar situation. In fact, racism was blamed for whites preferring Romney, not even close to on a unanimous basis.

If ifs-and-buts were candies and nuts... Maybe you can build your strawman with the other numpties on here that like building strawman arguments.

Women nearly unanimously voted for Obama. Do you think it is because they are racist too? Everyone that voted for Clinton voted for Obama. Gee, that's surprising! Next you'll tell me that everyone that declares the color blue as their favorite color owns a blue shirt...

Pebs, if you think 55% is 'nearly unanimous' I suggest you take a remedial math course. And married women voted for Romney 53-46%. You know, the women who have husbands and kids.

Right, the ones who aren't broken. :)

Posted on: 2014/7/24 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I'm not saying they're massive racists, though, if whites displayed that kind of preference they would clearly be labeled as such. But I am saying that they displayed significant support for Obama due to race.

For Colin Powell, he even gave a huge donation to McCain UNTIL Obama became the Democratic nominee. Your Palin argument is quaint and I hated her too, but I don't see evidence that this is what was behind Powell's decision.

For Rice, she was intentionally vague on her choice and gave a tearful congratulations yet in 2012 suddenly supported Romney, most likely due to a) the possibility that she would be the VP pick (which, probably would have been smart), and b) interest in remaining in Republican politics. Pretty clear what was going on.

My point with these examples is that you have near unanimous support in a minority population the likes of which would be considered clear proof of racism if it was applied to white voters in a similar situation. In fact, racism was blamed for whites preferring Romney, not even close to on a unanimous basis.

If ifs-and-buts were candies and nuts... Maybe you can build your strawman with the other numpties on here that like building strawman arguments.

Women nearly unanimously voted for Obama. Do you think it is because they are racist too? Everyone that voted for Clinton voted for Obama. Gee, that's surprising! Next you'll tell me that everyone that declares the color blue as their favorite color owns a blue shirt...

What? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11 ... tion-obama_n_2086004.html

Women voted for Obama 55 to 44, which isn't anywhere near unanimous.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/24 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/24 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/24 20:02
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Condi didn't support Obama. she supported Romney and McCain. Colin probably switched allegiances because he saw what Cheney/Bush had done to this country, bogus wars based on false information and realized he was duped like the rest of us and didn't want to repeat the past. Devils, not trying to convince you as you're simply lost; and quite frankly, you're akin to a pestering fly you want to swat because it just won't go away but you're resigned to its presence. yes, we all biases, I'm just actually aware of mine and I don't dismiss what other people might experience.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11 ... lates-obama_n_141414.html

Yeah, she "hinted" but never even outright stated she would vote for McCain. Then she tearfully called up Obama. Not exactly what you would expect from a senior Republican. Yes, in 2012 she endorsed Romney, because she still has at least some political ambitions.

W/r/t Powell, I will just leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Po ... idential_election_of_2008

So he started by donating a maximum amount to McCain, so that kills your theory, but then suddenly had a change of heart. The quotes are particularly great.

Ok, if you're so aware of your biases why don't you tell us what they are? This should be good. I expect an answer resembling "I'm just too fair to white people."

So what you are arguing is that Rice and Powell are such racists that they set aside their political affiliation simply because a black guy was on the ticket... Um okay....

Is it not possible, in your mind, for someone to have certain political views that fall on both sides of the fence? Is it not possible to find that what is important today is not as important tomorrow?

I'm sorry, but the idea that Sarah Palin should be a heartbeat from the presidency is astounding to me. I'm guessing that Rice and Powell felt the same way. Heck, even McCain felt the same way by the time the election was over.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Interestingly, 100% of black votes cast in all prior elections went to white people...

Considering that the first black candidate was a Democrat and black people tend to vote democrat, this is hardly surprising.

I can also guarantee that there were white Democrats that voted for McCain because Obama is black and there are black Republicans that voted for Obama because he is black.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 19:49
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Condi didn't support Obama. she supported Romney and McCain. Colin probably switched allegiances because he saw what Cheney/Bush had done to this country, bogus wars based on false information and realized he was duped like the rest of us and didn't want to repeat the past. Devils, not trying to convince you as you're simply lost; and quite frankly, you're akin to a pestering fly you want to swat because it just won't go away but you're resigned to its presence. yes, we all biases, I'm just actually aware of mine and I don't dismiss what other people might experience.

Yeah, she "hinted" but never even outright stated she would vote for McCain. Then she tearfully called up Obama. Not exactly what you would expect from a senior Republican. Yes, in 2012 she endorsed Romney, because she still has at least some political ambitions.

W/r/t Powell, I will just leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Po ... idential_election_of_2008

So he started by donating a maximum amount to McCain, so that kills your theory, but then suddenly had a change of heart. The quotes are particularly great.

Ok, if you're so aware of your biases why don't you tell us what they are? This should be good. I expect an answer resembling "I'm just too fair to white people."

So what you are arguing is that Rice and Powell are such racists that they set aside their political affiliation simply because a black guy was on the ticket... Um okay....

Is it not possible, in your mind, for someone to have certain political views that fall on both sides of the fence? Is it not possible to find that what is important today is not as important tomorrow?

I'm sorry, but the idea that Sarah Palin should be a heartbeat from the presidency is astounding to me. I'm guessing that Rice and Powell felt the same way. Heck, even McCain felt the same way by the time the election was over.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 19:46
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Well I'm from the Caribbean too and have had a different experience from you.

Oh, interesting. http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nationa ... urprising-growth-industry

Obviously, this varies island to island and country to country. That said, I'm telling you exactly what I witnessed with my own eyes and what black residents from the US have told me while I lived there.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/24 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well I'm from the Caribbean too and have had a different experience from you.

Oh, interesting. http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nationa ... urprising-growth-industry

Posted on: 2014/7/24 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Condi didn't support Obama. she supported Romney and McCain. Colin probably switched allegiances because he saw what Cheney/Bush had done to this country, bogus wars based on false information and realized he was duped like the rest of us and didn't want to repeat the past. Devils, not trying to convince you as you're simply lost; and quite frankly, you're akin to a pestering fly you want to swat because it just won't go away but you're resigned to its presence. yes, we all have biases, I'm just actually aware of mine and I don't dismiss what other people might experience.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
http://www.thetoptens.com/most-racist-countries/

The US wins every poll.

I don't find this surprising at all. Several of my black friends from college and grad school went abroad to raise their children/have families (Europe, Africa) and a few to the Caribbean. I think racism is just an intrinsic part of this country because it's in its DNA given its fraught history. I've always traveled abroad (Europe, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Canada) and I honestly feel less aware of being a POC elsewhere than I do in the United States. Many of my friends feel the same. I think because when traveling, foreigners take me for simply being American.

?Racism is so universal in this country, so widespread, and deep-seated, that it is invisible because it is so normal.?

? Shirley Chisholm

Funny you say that. I've lived on a Caribbean Island before. I've witnessed blatant racism against American blacks, yes, from resident black individuals. I know, that would utterly blow your mind. I've also lived around the world. I've witnessed racism in numerous places that makes American racism seem absolutely minimal in comparison. I mean epithets shouted in the streets, physical violence, etc. I have known black expatriates that refused to go outside after dark because of fear of being outright attacked. But sure, this is an American problem.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 19:13

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017