Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City one of worst cities for recreation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Besides that, the public schools are closed after school unlike Bayonne which provides an after school recreational program.

I love that idea, growing up in BK I always appreciated the after school programs. I was able to play basketball and take ballet lessons.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you allow developers to build without requiring open space, then yes, recreation options are limited. Besides that, the public schools are closed after school unlike Bayonne which provides an after school recreational program.

Enjoy your twilight years and move to Bayonne.

It is sad that I point out that Bayonne allows its public schools to be used as recreational centers after school and then I am attack. Why should Jersey City youth wander the streets, perhaps getting into trouble when they can get involve in many program - sports, music, etc? These programs are also available to the adults in Bayonne. I have a friend with a disability and he uses the pool which is free or at minimal cost. The reality is our tax dollars are not being used wisely here.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you allow developers to build without requiring open space, then yes, recreation options are limited. Besides that, the public schools are closed after school unlike Bayonne which provides an after school recreational program.

Yvonne happens to be right about this. The parkspace for all the new development is pitiful. Yay, they finally built a park in Newport after 25 years! 4 acres for 4000 homes with >15,000 residents, and at least 5,000 more units to come. And that doesn't include any of the developments further south that have no actual parks either. LHN has a 4 acre park planned for it's 10k units. This is pitiful. There's actually recommended standards of parkspace per capita, and JC is woefully short even if you include LSP.

Anyone who goes to HP can tell you how high the demand for parks space is. And now there's going to be a whole new residential neighborhood up at Coles & 18th. Park? No, the city sold it's lot there. Guess they'll be strollering down to join the masses at HP.

I'm all for density and city living, but one of the things that makes staying sane possible is getting out to our "shared backyards". The UWS is great due to Riverside and Central parks. Parks Slope has Prospect Pk. Journal Sq has....nothing. Good luck getting families there.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/9 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/8 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Today's poll from JJ

How would you rate the recreation options in Newark and Jersey City?

What options? The ranking was on point! 53.47% (54 votes)

Mediocre. Could be better, could be worse. 32.67% (33 votes)

I think they are great! The ranking was completely wrong. 13.86% (14 votes)

Posted on: 2015/7/8 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'm not seeing it. Just clickbate for a website....

Posted on: 2015/7/7 20:43
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/7 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Bayonne has mini-golf! And it's only a block and a half from Benanti's Italian deli!

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... r_first_time_in_2014.html

Of course, JC is in the process of finishing the long delayed 9 hole public course in Lincoln Park next year.

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/pages/f ... truction-+%20&id=25434329

Posted on: 2014/7/25 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
We definitely do not have a Golf Course. Not one that matters for the purpose of this study. Maybe one day if we can get past the clean-up and the corruption we just maybe, might have a 9 hole public course, if we're lucky but don't count on it. In fact all of Hudson County has 0 public golf courses. Damn Shame.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 3:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Sad but true!

Posted on: 2014/7/24 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I always feel that Manhattan is at my doorstep, actually. I guess it's how you look at it, but I never feel like I'm going on some long adventure to cross the river. Maybe it's because I work there and spend a lot of time there and for others, it's different.

I worked in the city for close to 20 years. Lived in it for some of the time, commuted some, lived here some. Was there every day - I get what you are saying. But if you step back from it and just think about it objectively - the time involved is what it is. "At my doorstep" implies something that just isn't true. Probably a healthy way to think about it and leads to a happier overall perspective, but not true.

Can you spend your time better on a train or bus than driving? Absolutely. Is the PATH train itself entertainment? Often, yes. But its still a non-discretionary component of doing something in the city and time detracted from doing something more preferable.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Outside of Dtjc, we have a serious lack of playgrounds and pocket parks for children. For example, there's not a one from JFK to Summit between half way to JSQ and Communipaw (except Lincoln Park). Most kids have nowhere to play remotely close to home. It's a serve "Play Desert" in most of the city. It's awful.

This is why I don't buy the premise of JS being the next big thing, despite it's transit. Families buying in are what made DTJC, Hoboken & Park Slope really pop. No parks: no affluent families.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I always feel that Manhattan is at my doorstep, actually. I guess it's how you look at it, but I never feel like I'm going on some long adventure to cross the river. Maybe it's because I work there and spend a lot of time there and for others, it's different.

And Vigilante, it's 2014 - girls drink craft beer too, man.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

Where I disagree with you is the "greatest city within minutes" thing. Sure - the PATH takes only seven minutes to go from Grove to WTC. But no one lives in the PATH station and the WTC is usually not your destination. When I go into the city on the weekends and need to be somewhere by a given time, I always need to allow at least 45 minutes unless it's in the village or Tribeca and I am only five (short) blocks from Grove St PATH; an hour if it's in or around the upper east side. .

You can say this about, literally, anywhere someone lives in the NYC area. If you live in the village and want to go to a bar in Park Slope, you also "don't live in the subway station" and may need to walk a bit and take a couple of trains to get there. And vice versa.

There's lots you can get on Downtown JC about. Proximity to NYC isn't one of them.

I wasn't comparing JC to other places in the NYC area. The survey was nationwide. My point was that when you consider the actual time it takes to walk to the PATH, wait for the PATH (especially so on weekends), ride the PATH, walk to the subway, wait for the subway, ride the subway and then walk to your final destination - the amount of time that elapses is the same as the person who lives in the exurbs of another city who drives into the city on a weekend.

That said, I'd rather walk/bike and even take the PATH than drive - just pointing out that being "just across the river" from "the greatest city on earth" (your experience may vary) doesn't necessarily equate to having it at your doorstep.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Because the hipsters don't think it's cool. Hipsters don't want older folks at their hang-outs unless the old folks are "characters" at a dive bar. Also, many people are looking for singles bars, a place to hook up.

Who are these people? Seriously I go to nearly ALL the bars in downtown. From Barcade and LITM to Lucky 7s and Lamp Post to Keyhole and the other old man dives. I have actually seen MORE age diversity in JC in the bar "scene" than anywhere else I've lived (several other major east coast cities). For band shows especially I will see friends in their early 20s up to middle age-ish (like Donald, the artist with the colorful beard, or Norm who does a lot of the lighting for groove on grove/jc fridays/the cemetery shows). Granted I am partnered and not looking for "hook ups" but it seems there are plenty of singles, some couples, some of my friends are parents who trade off who goes out and who stays home with the kids...

Your view of JC seems extremely myopic and I wonder what weird corner you exist within where these parameters apply.

And LOL @ "women don't like craft beer." I've said this before, I think in person you give off some sort of vibe that means the only people who will willingly interact with you are these "pink drink" type women and frat-bro craft beer dudes.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Outside of Dtjc, we have a serious lack of playgrounds and pocket parks for children. For example, there's not a one from JFK to Summit between half way to JSQ and Communipaw (except Lincoln Park). Most kids have nowhere to play remotely close to home. It's a serve "Play Desert" in most of the city. It's awful.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Vigilante, wondering why you would think one live music venue is enough?

Hoboken examples aren't that great because Jersey City isn't really on a path to becoming Hoboken. Cover bands play there because that's what the Hoboken bros like to listen to when drinking their Miller Lite.

GP's is a quasi-fancy Italian restaurant, in a family-oriented neighborhood - I appreciate their effort to have live music but who on Earth would go see live music in a place like that?

Regarding frequenting the bars that are here - people absolutely do. The GOOD bars (can count on one hand) are almost always packed. The bad bars (many) are either usually empty (and will fail) or are restaurant-first so they play that card.

I think that's my biggest problem, is that most "bars" in Jersey City are restaurants, that happen to have a bar. A bar like Proletariat http://www.yelp.com/biz/proletariat-new-york , which is literally just a friendly, small, narrow bar, would do very well here, and not attract any "riff raff" that people like you, Vigilante, seem to think "more bars" will attract.

If good bars open here, they will do extremely well. Not all bars create loud, obnoxious, douchey crowds.

A bar is a bar. If you want a bar that serves fancy beer then you'll have a "Sausage Factory" full of nerds. BTW, I was wrong before, I forgot about the new WFMU live music spot. Two is plenty and should be barely sustainable at this point.

If a bar is a bar, why do some bars fail next to others who thrive? Makes no sense, bra.

Because the hipsters don't think it's cool. Hipsters don't want older folks at their hang-outs unless the old folks are "characters" at a dive bar. Also, many people are looking for singles bars, a place to hook up. When people see too many families or couples then they tend to flee in search of the "cool" place. There also seems to be a new population of men who are obsessed with "craft beer". Very few women have interest in that and they have no interest in hanging out and talking about beer. Ultimately Hoboken rules the night on singles bars. They have younger people who are on the make or looking to hook up. Many of them travel there from West Jersey and Staten Island. Basically it's like a Jersey shore town in the bar scene. God help us if DTJC follows that model. And if I see one more post about "great music and beer with a chill vibe!" Ugh.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

Where I disagree with you is the "greatest city within minutes" thing. Sure - the PATH takes only seven minutes to go from Grove to WTC. But no one lives in the PATH station and the WTC is usually not your destination. When I go into the city on the weekends and need to be somewhere by a given time, I always need to allow at least 45 minutes unless it's in the village or Tribeca and I am only five (short) blocks from Grove St PATH; an hour if it's in or around the upper east side. .

You can say this about, literally, anywhere someone lives in the NYC area. If you live in the village and want to go to a bar in Park Slope, you also "don't live in the subway station" and may need to walk a bit and take a couple of trains to get there. And vice versa.

There's lots you can get on Downtown JC about. Proximity to NYC isn't one of them.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Tommy - I agree with you about bars, restaurants and live music. Quantity isn't the answer. Seems like we started to turn a corner the past couple years on restaurants - although the pizza arms race on Newark Ave. is disheartening. The bar scene is very hit and miss around here and good live music doesn't happen much - for now.

Where I disagree with you is the "greatest city within minutes" thing. Sure - the PATH takes only seven minutes to go from Grove to WTC. But no one lives in the PATH station and the WTC is usually not your destination. When I go into the city on the weekends and need to be somewhere by a given time, I always need to allow at least 45 minutes unless it's in the village or Tribeca and I am only five (short) blocks from Grove St PATH; an hour if it's in or around the upper east side. People who live in other parts of the country can drive 50 miles in the time it takes me to travel five or six miles by public transit and foot around here on a Saturday.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Hoboken examples aren't that great because Jersey City isn't really on a path to becoming Hoboken. Cover bands play there because that's what the Hoboken bros like to listen to when drinking their Miller Lite.

GP's is a quasi-fancy Italian restaurant, in a family-oriented neighborhood - I appreciate their effort to have live music but who on Earth would go see live music in a place like that?

Regarding frequenting the bars that are here - people absolutely do. The GOOD bars (can count on one hand) are almost always packed. The bad bars (many) are either usually empty (and will fail) or are restaurant-first so they play that card.

I think that's my biggest problem, is that most "bars" in Jersey City are restaurants, that happen to have a bar. A bar like Proletariat http://www.yelp.com/biz/proletariat-new-york , which is literally just a friendly, small, narrow bar, would do very well here, and not attract any "riff raff" that people like you, Vigilante, seem to think "more bars" will attract.

If good bars open here, they will do extremely well. Not all bars create loud, obnoxious, douchey crowds.

A bar is a bar. If you want a bar that serves fancy beer then you'll have a "Sausage Factory" full of nerds. BTW, I was wrong before, I forgot about the new WFMU live music spot. Two is plenty and should be barely sustainable at this point.

If a bar is a bar, why do some bars fail next to others who thrive? Makes no sense, bra.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I strongly disagree that a bar is a bar - is a restaurant a restaurant? The crowd at McDonald's or Applebee's is more than a little different than the crowd at a quality, creative restaurant - as is the food.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city has not been requiring open space from developers. I have brought this up on some occasions especially when there was more open space downtown.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
'We have a golf course'?

It's over 250K to join, over 25K minimum per year, and has only a couple hundred members, few I'd bet are JC residents.

It ain't a pitch n putt!

But it will have a nice casino soon!

Posted on: 2014/7/23 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/23 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Hard to argue with this. Agree that Jersey City's lack of greenspace to escape the concrete jungle is woeful. It doesn't help matters when the center of Downtown is stuck with several sprawling parking lots around the Gregory Towers that could be better used as a park (eminent domain, please?). The waterfront, one of the city's greatest assets, is also a sterile, boring waste.

On the plus side, the two new music venues-- White Eagle and the FMU space-- are huge additions to the city which I expect to be awesome and successful.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 17:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I would definitely like to see more variety at a wider range of price points and locations.

Most choices are located in the DT area, with a few others in other neighborhoods (pls tell me if I'm wrong and where to find things! )

For example, if i want to do Pilates or Yoga (besides yoga in the heights), I have to go DT or Hoboken. If I want an art/diy class, same thing.

And I wish the parks had more things going on, like Pier A in the summer in Hoboken, or Central Park on any weekend.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/23 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a little surprised that overall, JC's scored so low on the list. The major negative seemed to be the lack/poor quality of parks, which - living in the Heights and seeing mostly Riverview and Leonard Gordon Parks - is deserved. It's not the area of parks, its the lack of maintenance and care for the appearance of the ones outside of affluent areas.

I am surprised the didn't take the size of the city and lack of public/mass transit options into consideration. While downtown JC, Manhattan, and Hoboken are not that far as the crow flies, getting to any of the recreational activities/clubs/ etc. for those of us who live car free. I suspect the mid-sized cities that fared better have a more mass transit-centric approach.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I agree. Most of our JC schools don't even have ANY green space dedicated to the school - not even a play yard. I find it hard to beleive that this is even allowed - there should be some regulation that requires at least some outside space for recreation for children at school.
The government of JC doesn't appear to treat this quality of life issue as a priority.

During the 1970's Alfred E. Zampella School P.S. #27 had a greenhouse at the back of the school on Kennedy Blvd. in the extended area next to the church.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 17:09
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017