Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Music, poetry festival hopes to 'Rise Up' in Jersey City's Greenville section
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/25 16:01

Re: Music, poetry festival hopes to 'Rise Up' in Jersey City's Greenville section
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marullos88 wrote:
This looks great. Wish I were in town this weekend to support it. Thanks for sharing.

No problem, my neighbor was just hired to record this event and it will be posted on the youtube channel Greenville Journal. Safe travels.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 12:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
This looks great. Wish I were in town this weekend to support it. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 17:57

Music, poetry festival hopes to 'Rise Up' in Jersey City's Greenville section
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Music, poetry and good vibes will take over the UMMI and Living Village Community Gardens this Saturday in Jersey City.

Host and co-organizer Dujuana Sharese, best known as the wordsmith behind local band Spoken Sound, was originally set to have a one-act concert in the community space. With help from Mark "Wyme" Santos of the Audiobodies fame, however, the event evolved into Rise Up, a full-blown festival with nine bands, six spoken word acts, DJs, artists and more.

"This is going to be in Greenville and I want to cater to the people, but I don't want to cater to the people," said Sharese, who lives in the neighborhood herself. "I want them to see something different. We have one of everything--hip-hop, R&B, gospel, rock and alternative soul."

Performers include DIYGFY, One Purpose, Victor & Amy, GMJ Groove, Shop Boys, Sunny Jones, Dontique, Papermaker and, of course, Spoken Sound.

There will also be spoken word performances by Lana Rose Diaz, wendelin, Bobi Hayes, Broken English and Celeste Ragz, plus the debut of a group performance piece by the Jersey City Slam Team that will be in their arsenal when they compete at slams around the country.

Sharese says the lineup for the event reflects the growing diversity in Greenvile.

Resized Image

"It's no longer just a Black and Hispanic population," she said. "We have more races coming through, from Egyptians to more Asians...these cultures are coming in because rent is a bit more affordable here than anywhere else."

She adds that Rise Up will hopefully bring something new to the neighborhood.

More

Posted on: 2014/7/23 15:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017