Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Me right now..
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/22 15:08
ಠ_ಠ

Re: News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
That's not a very nice way to talk about your mother...

My mother died January of this year. Care to keep digging?

Do I really need to refine my juvenile response to your juvenile statement?

No. But you need to keep your sociopath comments in check, and stop making things unnecessarily personal.

You really think a generic, textbook 5th grade comment was remotely personal?

In any event, if you want to go back to this juvenile exchange, you can note that you started it.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

No. But you need to keep your sociopath comments in check, and stop making things unnecessarily personal.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/22 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/22 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
When the US had the "good old days" of the late 50s and 60s, China had mass famine. So when you look at China today, understand that they only recently became a modern nation. That change was driven by concrete steps to curb reproduction and instill personal responsibility. The results are phenomenal.

More comedy gold. China's economic prosperity was built on a mountain of used condoms? Lmao. And there was I thinking it wasn't the policies of Chairman Mao, but the rejection of his cultural revolution and unleashing the capitalistic instincts of a population of 1.3 billion people.

Anything that passing out condoms doesn't solve?

- Economic growth and prosperity - condoms
- Crime rate - condoms
- World hunger - condoms
- Aids crisis - condoms

Think you need to work on cause and effect a bit, and stop thinking with other peoples penises.

Global shortages of latex.

...and brain tissue in lawyers.

You asked a stupid question, I gave you a stupid answer.

Yep. Like every lawyer, you're good on stupid.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
When the US had the "good old days" of the late 50s and 60s, China had mass famine. So when you look at China today, understand that they only recently became a modern nation. That change was driven by concrete steps to curb reproduction and instill personal responsibility. The results are phenomenal.

More comedy gold. China's economic prosperity was built on a mountain of used condoms? Lmao. And there was I thinking it wasn't the policies of Chairman Mao, but the rejection of his cultural revolution and unleashing the capitalistic instincts of a population of 1.3 billion people.

- Crime rate - condoms
- World hunger - condoms
- Aids crisis - condoms

Think you need to work on cause and effect a bit, and stop thinking with other peoples penises.

Yep. Like every lawyer, you're good on stupid.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

- Crime rate - condoms
- World hunger - condoms
- Aids crisis - condoms

Posted on: 2014/7/22 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I always find it amusing when people post on China and clearly have no concept of what the land there is like. Despite their single child policy, guess what you'll find in the poverty areas outside of the city... parents having more and more children!

Yep. Surprise, surprise? Still, one child has massively reduced the fertility rate in China, which in turn has increased in education spending per child.

Quote:

The reality isn't about black or white or hispanic or values... it's a problem of poverty. Statistics after statistics prove out that a rise out of poverty reduces the birth rate in families. Heck, the movie Idiocracy was based on this concept alone.

Chicken and egg problem.

Quote:

I'm also confused about the concept of good role models. How many people loved Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds? You don't need trend setters, you need education.

Yes, there is a certain amount of personal responsibility involved. There is a certain amount involved with everyone but how does that get taught? You weren?t born and subsequently sent searching for food and nourishment. The knowledge you have now is knowledge you gained from those around you.

Uneducated and poor parents do not make good decisions. They don?t understand what a good and healthy diet is and how it helps enable brain development. They also don?t understand how to explain to their child the path from where they are presently to being able to afford a brownstone downtown.

A lot of these individuals don?t see how it is obtainable because they believe, partly rightly, that many of those people in the wonderful high rise towers were born into it. I?m not saying everyone inherited their wealth. I?m stating that they were able to start with a more stable footing.

Regardless, the ?reporter? decided to opinionate something absurd while presenting a news story. Instead of viewing the problem for what it is, a poverty issue, he tried to make it a race issue.

I think there also needs to be an understanding that the world does not exist in a vacuum. There are a lot of causations involved that go back in time to periods of American and international history which we aren?t very comfortable with. It can?t be changed, but it should at least be acknowledged when topics involving race and disproportionate poverty levels are mentioned.

There is clearly a racial issue here. It is undeniable. It isn't purely a racial issue by any means, but because this is America you absolutely cannot ignore the racial aspect of it.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

- Crime rate - condoms
- World hunger - condoms
- Aids crisis - condoms

Posted on: 2014/7/22 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

- Crime rate - condoms
- World hunger - condoms
- Aids crisis - condoms

Posted on: 2014/7/22 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Elitist perhaps and most likely racist or at least you definitely know how to come off like one given your posts. Perhaps it's your communication style, watching lots of Fox or just not knowing how to use your words. Oh and that's cute, merely mentioning sexism or racism is inherently anti-male and anti-white, respectively, which means don't raise it.

This is worth viewing for those interested.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-medi ... tem-sesame-street-puppets

Man have you been dying to throw out the racism claim all thread. Anyway, I don't even watch Fox News (or any TV at all). Thanks for playing, though.

Yeah, you should probably stop shrieking "racist!" and "sexist!" like it is an ultimate trump card whenever you're losing an argument, because most people will just snicker at you behind your back.

As to "knowing how to use my words", I wouldn't worry about that. The implication that you are somehow more educated than me is absolutely laughable.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

If large numbers of white people (or a sizeable %) acted out what they heard in music then you'd have a point.

Truth is, they probably do on an equal scale to blacks. Just people don't make the connection. Mostly , it's just considered teenage nihilism or rebellion, a phase whites "go through", and not inherent in the culture. If whites acted out on say "punk", "goth", "heavy metal" in same way we imagine blacks to act out on rap, hip-hop, and whatever - the planet would have been dead a long time ago.

What's considered black music is mostly a reaction to their upbringing, hardships and life experiences, no different to any kids nor music genre. The only people who have trouble with that concept are the same type of people that railed against Elvis, the Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Ramones, Sex Pistols in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

@user111 - ding-ding-ding! We have a winner. Grats.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

And yes, Obama did that too to win support for his election - so I'm not ignoring the point.

Almost forgot about this gem. I didn't realize that Obama pandered to what you call the conservative crowd to "win support for his election." You didn't miss the point at all...

Posted on: 2014/7/22 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Heck, the movie Idiocracy was based on this concept alone.

+1 Pebble - loved that movie.

Pop quiz for those folks that seem to equate culture with music. Name the artists:

"Bang, bang, Maxwell's silver hammer, Made sure that she was dead"
"It?s down to me, the way she talks when she?s spoken to?the way she does just what she?s told."
"We don't need no education , We don't need no thought control"
"Beat on the brat with a baseball bat"
"I wanna destroy passersby"
"if it wasn't for date rape I'd never get laid"
"But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die"
"Ain't it dark? Wrapped up in that tarp, Earl"
"You'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet"

This represent white culture?

The Beatles
The Rolling stones?
Pink Floyd
The Ramones
Sex Pistols?
Sublime
Johnny Cash
Dixie Chicks
Foster The People

Posted on: 2014/7/22 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Pop quiz for those folks that seem to equate culture with music. Name the artists:

"It?s down to me, the way she talks when she?s spoken to?the way she does just what she?s told."

If large numbers of white people (or a sizeable %) acted out what they heard in music then you'd have a point.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/22 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I always find it amusing when people post on China and clearly have no concept of what the land there is like. Despite their single child policy, guess what you'll find in the poverty areas outside of the city... parents having more and more children!

The reality isn't about black or white or hispanic or values... it's a problem of poverty. Statistics after statistics prove out that a rise out of poverty reduces the birth rate in families. Heck, the movie Idiocracy was based on this concept alone.

I'm also confused about the concept of good role models. How many people loved Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds? You don't need trend setters, you need education.

Yes, there is a certain amount of personal responsibility involved. There is a certain amount involved with everyone but how does that get taught? You weren?t born and subsequently sent searching for food and nourishment. The knowledge you have now is knowledge you gained from those around you.

Uneducated and poor parents do not make good decisions. They don?t understand what a good and healthy diet is and how it helps enable brain development. They also don?t understand how to explain to their child the path from where they are presently to being able to afford a brownstone downtown.

A lot of these individuals don?t see how it is obtainable because they believe, partly rightly, that many of those people in the wonderful high rise towers were born into it. I?m not saying everyone inherited their wealth. I?m stating that they were able to start with a more stable footing.

Regardless, the ?reporter? decided to opinionate something absurd while presenting a news story. Instead of viewing the problem for what it is, a poverty issue, he tried to make it a race issue.

I think there also needs to be an understanding that the world does not exist in a vacuum. There are a lot of causations involved that go back in time to periods of American and international history which we aren?t very comfortable with. It can?t be changed, but it should at least be acknowledged when topics involving race and disproportionate poverty levels are mentioned.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 1:04
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

- Crime rate - condoms
- World hunger - condoms
- Aids crisis - condoms

Posted on: 2014/7/22 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Elitist perhaps and most likely racist or at least you definitely know how to come off like one given your posts. Perhaps it's your communication style, watching lots of Fox or just not knowing how to use your words. Oh and that's cute, merely mentioning sexism or racism is inherently anti-male and anti-white, respectively, which means don't raise it.

This is worth viewing for those interested.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-medi ... tem-sesame-street-puppets

Posted on: 2014/7/21 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
calling trailer park people trash and some Asians ghetto rats is quite telling of the kind of person you are. Not that I didn't know it already.

Yeah, I'm elitist. We all know this. The groups highlighted above absolutely could learn about birth control and personal responsibility along with the poor black men. That said, neither of the original groups are nearly as big of an issue.

EDIT: At least around here. If I was living in Hong Kong or in a white rural area, guess who I would be pushing to get less crappy?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
calling trailer park people trash and some Asians ghetto rats is quite telling of the kind of person you are. Not that I didn't know it already.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
He said nothing but the truth. Bergin needs to be picked up by FOX 5.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
So imagine if in the black community the following thing happened:
1. The only people that had kids were married and middle class or above.
2. The only people that had more than 1 kid were in the top 1/3 of income for their city.
3. Personal responsibility was taught feverishly.

In other words, what if blacks suddenly adopted Asian culture? Now advance 40 years. What does the black community look like?

Forget the black community for a sec. Apply that across the board. You want to turn the US into China? Try enforcing that kind of change in the US - there'd be blood in the streets. And honestly, that's not the problem we're trying to solve - just an inferred and debatable factor in it.

@ VanVorster - good links. Worth the read.

Now, if you want to show the problem with that approach, Japan is a better guide. Population growth so low that demographics are an issue. Sure, no crime, but now a huge portion of people live with their parents in almost perpetual adolescence. Now, there are other factors responsible for this in Japan, but they aren't unrelated either.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Dude, do you even think before you write? "Blacks just adopt Asian culture" as though that's a panacea for everything. Do you even know black people besides what you see on television or read in newspapers? Blacks are not a monolithic group and Asian culture is not one-dimensional with all purported tiger moms. Also, are you sharing your admonishments and exhortations for white people in trailer parks, middle america Ohio, Kearny and the ailing suburbs. I mean it sounds like you figured out the problem for the rest of us in looking at the answer key, good job!

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/ ... inese-20140123-story.html

http://www.asian-nation.org/model-minority.shtml

Absolutely, this is also the recipe for success for white trailer park trash. And Hispanics. But obviously I'm painting with a broad brush. Some blacks already are successful and basically do exactly this anyway. Some Asians are ghetto rats. Regardless, I did use the most successful minority group in the US (and this is statistically verifiable - via crime statistics, median salary, admissions statistics to top universities despite blatant discrimination, etc.) as a guide, yes. The reason they are so successful is the combo of birth control and personal responsibility.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
2. The only people that had more than 1 kid were in the top 1/3 of income for their city.

In other words, what if blacks suddenly adopted Asian culture? Now advance 40 years. What does the black community look like?

Forget the black community for a sec. Apply that across the board. You want to turn the US into China? Try enforcing that kind of change in the US - there'd be blood in the streets. And honestly, that's not the problem we're trying to solve - just an inferred and debatable factor in it.

@ VanVorster - good links. Worth the read.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 18:32

Edited by dtjcview on 2014/7/21 18:51:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dude, do you even think before you write? "Blacks just adopt Asian culture" as though that's a panacea for everything. Do you even know black people besides what you see on television or read in newspapers? Blacks are not a monolithic group and Asian culture is not one-dimensional with all purported tiger moms. Also, are you sharing your admonishments and exhortations for white people in trailer parks, middle america Ohio, Kearny and the ailing suburbs. I mean it sounds like you figured out the problem for the rest of us in looking at the answer key, good job!

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/ ... inese-20140123-story.html

http://www.asian-nation.org/model-minority.shtml

Posted on: 2014/7/21 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Do you mind clarifying this post? Are you seriously claiming that family planning and personal responsibility are NOT significant ingredients in this mix? I suspected as much, considering you never addressed either even in passing. But please confirm this is your point of view.

No. I was arguing the point that it wasn't the only factor, and that some of the solutions on the table were overly-simplistic. Looking at a single statistic doesn't identify root cause. It's not simply about changing a perceived culture of irresponsibility - and what looks irresponsible in terms of a single-parent statistic, might be perfectly rational and responsible when viewed in the broader social framework. The link I referenced expresses it well:

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/4128 ... ihan-Report-Revisited.pdf
Quote:

Moynihan argued that reversing the decay of the traditional two-married-parent family was the key to improving blacks? prospects. In the intervening years, however, more children of all races and ethnicities have been raised in one-parent families and cohabiting unmarried-parent families. Even 50 years ago, black poverty and social inequity was not simply a result of single parenting. Today?s more complex social milieu requires a much broader strategy and set of initiatives to address the multitude of factors impeding black economic and social progress.

Untangling the web of obstacles that ensnares black families and undermines social equity requires efforts on three fronts: (1) reducing the structural barriers to black economic progress, (2) enhancing the incentives for working in the mainstream economy, and (3) improving family dynamics. Progress on these fronts can involve federal, state, local, and even individual policies and practices.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Do you mind clarifying this post? Are you seriously claiming that family planning and personal responsibility are NOT significant ingredients in this mix? I suspected as much, considering you never addressed either even in passing. But please confirm this is your point of view.

No. I was arguing the point that it wasn't the only factor, and that some of the solutions on the table were overly-simplistic. Looking at a single statistic doesn't identify root cause. It's not simply about changing a perceived culture of irresponsibility - and what looks irresponsible in terms of a single-parent statistic, might be perfectly rational and responsible when viewed in the broader social framework. The link I referenced expresses it well:

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/4128 ... ihan-Report-Revisited.pdf
Quote:

Moynihan argued that reversing the decay of the traditional two-married-parent family was the key to improving blacks? prospects. In the intervening years, however, more children of all races and ethnicities have been raised in one-parent families and cohabiting unmarried-parent families. Even 50 years ago, black poverty and social inequity was not simply a result of single parenting. Today?s more complex social milieu requires a much broader strategy and set of initiatives to address the multitude of factors impeding black economic and social progress.

Untangling the web of obstacles that ensnares black families and undermines social equity requires efforts on three fronts: (1) reducing the structural barriers to black economic progress, (2) enhancing the incentives for working in the mainstream economy, and (3) improving family dynamics. Progress on these fronts can involve federal, state, local, and even individual policies and practices.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Also, small note about human nature. If someone isn't allowed to fully participate in a conversation and feels like they're being lectured to they just leave.

That cuts both ways - when a proposed solution seems to involve replacing leaders that aren't lecturing the community on family planning and personal responsibility in the "right" way.

No doubt. But how do we avoid discussing family planning and personal responsibility when these two things are probably the most undeniable and significant ingredients that are missing in this situation?

SO...how does that square with your proposal to "kick out the PC police"? Who are they? Aren't they just people that disagree with a point of view?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 17:04

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017