Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Living near Journal Square
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/10 19:04
Group:
Registered Users
Highland Ave is two blocks long as is Glenwood Ave. Both are good streets and get better the closer to Bergen Ave you get. Parking varies drastically from block to block and time you are looking for a spot. Periodically home owners will post signs to rent out parking spaces in this area but I don't recall how much. My wife and I bought in 2006 and are now raising our two sons. We have no plans to move anytime soon.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 5:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I live in this area and love it. You are incorrect about parking. Its a big challenge. And no, SPU won't let residents pay to park in their garage, we've tried. They suck.

Ah - was basing that on finding night-time parking spots - I have to drive around a bit, but generally I find one. Might be possible to find a private lot closer to Journal Sq - I think some of my co-workers that commute pay around $130/month in some lots, but don't know if they're 24-hr.

The SPU news surprises me. I bet when it was built originally, they probably promised spaces to local residents, similar to Newport. Wonder if you can sign up for an adult evening class a get a spot? ;)

Posted on: 2014/7/18 22:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
If you have young kids and like to take them to the park on a daily basis, I would advice you to look within walking distance of Lincoln Park, or if the Heights is an option, Pershing Field or Washington Park. We stayed briefly very close to Journal Square and ended up taking the path to Hoboken or Lower Manhattan on hot summer days. There is a small playground just behind Highland close to Kennedy Blvd that used to have a water sprinkler for the kids, not sure about these days. If you are in the Island section it is actually not that far to Hamilton Park and Enos Jones Park, just down the hill on Newark really.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

CBFamily wrote:
We are renters; I've heard Highland Avenue is nice; but I don't really know what that means. I guess I'm looking for specific roads/cross streets to check out. Thanks for any insight.

Some very nice places around that stretch off Kennedy and around St. Peters College. Traffic on Kennedy itself is fairly heavy - it's the main artery through JC. And you may need a bike or car to get to the bigger stores. I know folks that live right there on Kennedy & Highland and they love it. From what I've seen, parking west of Kennedy isn't much of a problem, and you might be able to cut a deal with the college for off-street parking in their lot on Montgomery.

I live in this area and love it. You are incorrect about parking. Its a big challenge. And no, SPU won't let residents pay to park in their garage, we've tried. They suck.

Its noisy living right on the Blvd. I suggest you go with a side street. There are a lot of great blocks between Highland & Harrision, bordered by West Side to Bergen.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on Highland by JFK for years and it was a quiet, safe neighborhood. I wouldnt come to Journal Square for the architecture and if you desire nice restaurants and bars, you may be a little disappointed, though I think that will change as they develop around the PATH station. Lincoln Park is nice, but a little bit of a walk from the PATH.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CBFamily wrote:
We are renters; I've heard Highland Avenue is nice; but I don't really know what that means. I guess I'm looking for specific roads/cross streets to check out. Thanks for any insight.

Some very nice places around that stretch off Kennedy and around St. Peters College. Traffic on Kennedy itself is fairly heavy - it's the main artery through JC. And you may need a bike or car to get to the bigger stores. I know folks that live right there on Kennedy & Highland and they love it. From what I've seen, parking west of Kennedy isn't much of a problem, and you might be able to cut a deal with the college for off-street parking in their lot on Montgomery.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 6:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/19 16:42
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Great, thanks! This is helpful. I was able to google it and I know where it is

Posted on: 2014/7/18 3:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/18 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I am very familiar with the area, and agree with user1111. The best area immediately next to JSQ is "The Island" (Magnolia - Trenton St).

Posted on: 2014/7/17 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I live near Journal Square West of Kennedy and it's very nice.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CBFamily wrote:
Hi JCList,

I hope this message finds you well. I'm considering to relocate my family near Journal Square PATH train station. My husband and I work in the city, and we first and foremost need access to easy transportation.

I'm really not familiar with this area; what are considered the best areas to live? Meaning, good for a small family, community-oriented, nice architecture, perhaps near some version of a park; that sort of thing. I know this is subjective, but I thought I'd ask.

If someone can point me in the right direction, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CB

You should provide more information, are you renting or buying? If parks and an easy commute are high on the list a place closer to the waterfront would be a better choice.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The maps on this site are pretty good - though you need to pay to drill-down to more detail. I'd pay attention to crime maps, some sections around Journal Sq can get sketchy. For a park, Lincoln Park is an awesome park within say a 10 min walk, and some beautiful houses in that area. The Heights towards Summit/Pershing Field is also very walkable.

Happy hunting.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/jersey-city/

Posted on: 2014/7/17 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I personally like "The Island" part of JS its nice and quite a few short blocks to the station. Its also walking distance to Down town. I am not sure if you are renting or buying. Rents are around $1800 for a two bedroom and homes start at 350k.

The only downside of The island there are no parks and parking is tight. Good Luck.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 20:07

Living near Journal Square

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi JCList,

I hope this message finds you well. I'm considering to relocate my family near Journal Square PATH train station. My husband and I work in the city, and we first and foremost need access to easy transportation.

I'm really not familiar with this area; what are considered the best areas to live? Meaning, good for a small family, community-oriented, nice architecture, perhaps near some version of a park; that sort of thing. I know this is subjective, but I thought I'd ask.

If someone can point me in the right direction, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CB

Posted on: 2014/7/17 19:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017