Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Plan to limit public comment at Jersey City council meetings draws Fulop's ire
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Before the start of this new administration, it was unusual to see eleven or seventeen second reading ordinances. The most was six ordinances. This new administration is just pounding the agenda with a ton of second reading ordinances. During the KRE tax abatement, Councilwoman Coleman she didn't know what she was voting on. I am not going to attack her for her honesty, that agenda had one of the longest second reading ordinances that I have ever seen. The council president must reduce what is on the agenda. That is the problem too many items on the agenda in which this council is clueless. Former Councilwoman Richardson did not allow last minute items on the agenda, this council is allowing it and they are voting on this without full comprehension.

Richardson was a Councilmember who didn't care about anything except herself, as I saw her on more than one occasion throw up her hands and say "whatever!" when people attending the meetings got upset with her, and was a double-dipper, collecting both her police pension and council salary.

She was totally against the concept of politicians holding just one public job at a time, saying that it was impossible to make a living on just one public job, without indicating the possibility about the novel concept of getting a private sector job instead while serving on the council (like Fulop did). Anything good she did was well more than cancelled out by her negative qualities. GOOD RIDDANCE!

For the record, Richardson, not only collected a police pension and a council salary but she also had a county job, liason at the county jail I think.

You know what I find absolutely hysterical. You got people like Yvonne, Mia, Fletcher and whoever else they hang with, constantly mouthing off. They are the most negative people ever. Nothing is ever good enough in their opinion. Yet not a single one of them has run for office, or if they have, they have proven to be unelectable. They have never seemed to be able to put a point across that anyone has put any stock in. Says alot in my opinion.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 18:22

Re: Plan to limit public comment at Jersey City council meetings draws Fulop's ire
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Before the start of this new administration, it was unusual to see eleven or seventeen second reading ordinances. The most was six ordinances. This new administration is just pounding the agenda with a ton of second reading ordinances. During the KRE tax abatement, Councilwoman Coleman she didn't know what she was voting on. I am not going to attack her for her honesty, that agenda had one of the longest second reading ordinances that I have ever seen. The council president must reduce what is on the agenda. That is the problem too many items on the agenda in which this council is clueless. Former Councilwoman Richardson did not allow last minute items on the agenda, this council is allowing it and they are voting on this without full comprehension.

Richardson was a Councilmember who didn't care about anything except herself, as I saw her on more than one occasion throw up her hands and say "whatever!" when people attending the meetings got upset with her, and was a double-dipper, collecting both her police pension and council salary.

She was totally against the concept of politicians holding just one public job at a time, saying that it was impossible to make a living on just one public job, without indicating the possibility about the novel concept of getting a private sector job instead while serving on the council (like Fulop did). Anything good she did was well more than cancelled out by her negative qualities. GOOD RIDDANCE!

I understand your disappointment when people hold two or more jobs but she was effective in keeping late minutes items off the agenda. This council needs to do that, before they curtail public comments.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 16:22

Edited by Yvonne on 2014/7/26 16:41:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/26 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/26 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Why doesn't the City post ordinances up for review on it's Facebook and Twitter accounts and allow public comment over social media ahead of any vote?

Posted on: 2014/7/26 10:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What about a limit per annum or per quarter an individual can ask questions - Or questions need to be submitted prior to any council meeting to avoid doubling up on the same question - Or limit 3 questions without notice during meetings - Or a combination of all of the above ?

Posted on: 2014/7/26 5:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It would also be nice if candidates attended council meetings before they are elected so they do know what they are talking about. Mia's letter is right about that.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimbehrle wrote:
They could also have a rule that allowed new speakers to speak before people who get up each and every week to talk about each and every ordinance. Give other people a chance to speak

That would be a great rule that I'd be 100% for. Sounds great in theory, but of course, couldn't work in practice. Not so easy to enforce. I just wish some of these usual cast of characters that speak on every ordinance would, as you say, "give other people a chance to speak". I find their grandstanding rather rude and pointless.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
If you cant get your point across in less than 10 mins... you shouldn't be talking. I would attend the council meetings if I knew they weren't dominated by an overly opinionated few. Frankly - speaking any longer than 10 mins makes you a grandstanding jerk.

There is that woman on crutches, who comes to every meeting (at least she's come to every meeting I've been to and others have told me she's always there) and asks questions about nearly EVERY resolution and really contributes to the dragging out of the meetings. I don't think she ever speaks for longer than 10 minutes but collectively she must add an hour's time to the meeting. Really annoying. Don't get me wrong, she seems like a sweet person, and I'm sorry she has to walk around on crutches, but my respect for the elderly does not apply when it comes to her hogging the microphone.

I'd name the names of a few others that act similarly at these meetings as well, but I don't want to be sued for defamation as I'm sure some of them read this board. It is all nothing but grandstanding in my opinion because there is no way all these resolutions affect them.

Being the head of a neighborhood association does not make you an expert or qualified to speak for the masses either, I don't care how long you've lived in Jersey City. I don't know if there's a neighborhood association where I live but if there is, the head of it does not speak for me, I'll say that right now.

The person you are referring to is call Catherine. She hasn't been to a council meeting since Sandy hit and the elevators were not working. We are talking about 2 years almost.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
They could also have a rule that allowed new speakers to speak before people who get up each and every week to talk about each and every ordinance. Give other people a chance to speak

Posted on: 2014/7/26 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/25 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
If you cant get your point across in less than 10 mins... you shouldn't be talking. I would attend the council meetings if I knew they weren't dominated by an overly opinionated few. Frankly - speaking any longer than 10 mins makes you a grandstanding jerk.

There is that woman on crutches, who comes to every meeting (at least she's come to every meeting I've been to and others have told me she's always there) and asks questions about nearly EVERY resolution and really contributes to the dragging out of the meetings. I don't think she ever speaks for longer than 10 minutes but collectively she must add an hour's time to the meeting. Really annoying. Don't get me wrong, she seems like a sweet person, and I'm sorry she has to walk around on crutches, but my respect for the elderly does not apply when it comes to her hogging the microphone.

I'd name the names of a few others that act similarly at these meetings as well, but I don't want to be sued for defamation as I'm sure some of them read this board. It is all nothing but grandstanding in my opinion because there is no way all these resolutions affect them.

Being the head of a neighborhood association does not make you an expert or qualified to speak for the masses either, I don't care how long you've lived in Jersey City. I don't know if there's a neighborhood association where I live but if there is, the head of it does not speak for me, I'll say that right now.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/21 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
well said.

this is what I wrote in comment to Councilman Boggioano -

As someone who has spoken before the council and stayed to speak or listen to those 1am times, I agree with Mia.

Yes, speakers would be more effective if they would gather, distill their thoughts and speak concisely, but they/we are just regular people and unfortunately do speak off the top of their heads at times. Notably 5 minutes may not enough time on the budget and land use issues.

There are others things that the council could do to shorten and speed up meetings. Start on time, give out awards, citations and honors at other times/events, balance out and distribute issues across meetings so hot issues are not lumped together and perhaps, hold the public comment portion at the beginning of the meeting among other ideas.

And there are certainly bigger more pressing issues than fine tuning how meetings run. Starting with the approving the municipal budget which is late, again. There also could be a greater effort to educate council members on knowing what they are voting on.

That is my two cents,

Dan

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
While some people may over use this right, we need to keep it as is. I've spoken recently re: the McGinley sq. Redevelopment Plan which went on for almost 3 hrs. It was extremely productive for the residents to have this time (and we were organized) as we got to ask the City Planners and developers a lot of questions before the council. In doing this, we exposed a lot of problems with the plan and a lot of lies and contradictions the developer had been telling during that meeting, and before. President Lavarro did a great job keeping speakers on topic. If we didn't have this open time limit to hash out details and make our case, the residents wouldn't have gotten any wins out of this deal. We won a few solid points, most notably abolishing the four large video screens the developer wanted to go on the building and secure money from them towards building the new park at the square.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

The next Council meeting I go to would be my first Council meeting. My civic involvement in JC is micro, not macro.

Collecting a paycheck is about the extent of it, no?

???????????????????????

You live a half hour away. You obviously have some sort of vested interest in JC, likely a cop based on your worldview. But whether you are a cop or not, you are just here to make your buck and go home, right?

Your imagination doesn't match reality. I spend a lot to time in JC as this is where my g/f lives. I support her neighborhood in BeLa. And I make no income from any business or public entity in JC. And I'm not a policeman, DEA agent, prosecutor, or any other type of law enforcement employee.

Other than that you're spot on!

Posted on: 2014/7/19 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

The next Council meeting I go to would be my first Council meeting. My civic involvement in JC is micro, not macro.

???????????????????????

You live a half hour away. You obviously have some sort of vested interest in JC, likely a cop based on your worldview. But whether you are a cop or not, you are just here to make your buck and go home, right?

Posted on: 2014/7/19 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimbehrle wrote:
I don't know why time can't be limited. I've seen people leave the room and be frustrated with city government because of the hogging of the microphone of a few. Why make council meetings routinely 4 or 5 hours long to satisfy the rhetorical whims of a few? The freedom of speech and engagement of government shouldn't have to be an endurance contest.

Thank you! Couldn't agree more on that one. It's always the same five or six people asking questions and filibustering about every resolution at every meeting.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I don't know why time can't be limited. I've seen people leave the room and be frustrated with city government because of the hogging of the microphone of a few. Why make council meetings routinely 4 or 5 hours long to satisfy the rhetorical whims of a few? The freedom of speech and engagement of government shouldn't have to be an endurance contest.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

???????????????????????

Posted on: 2014/7/18 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/18 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Yvonne and Monroe will be pissed, if they don't get their petty complaints in at the council meeting too!

Cityhall needs a whine hotline for time wasting petty complaints so during council meetings, we have serious issues dealt with!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/18 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Its needs to stay open ended, with the Council president & the clerk taksed with keeping speakers on point. If speaker strays, they get a warning. If they continue to stray, time's up. Its really that simple.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Yvonne and Monroe will be pissed, if they don't get their petty complaints in at the council meeting too!

Cityhall needs a whine hotline for time wasting petty complaints so during council meetings, we have serious issues dealt with!

Resized Image

Well they did have the Mayor's InAction Bureau under Healy, don't know if Fulop continued to have that department.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
Yvonne picks her spots and is usually on point. She does not like tax abatements. She argues vigorously, but does not filibuster. Jayson asks questions about every ordinance he could easily read in the paper. I watch with a mixture of amusement and annoyance. He does it for attention. He likes being on TV. He likes lecturing the council people. Wagging his finger. He is often off-topic and likes dominating the mic as long as he can. I'm not sure what to make of his act. Is it really about holding the Council accountable? Or is it merely an open mic poetry act?

Posted on: 2014/7/17 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/17 23:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Got to be a way of keeping it reasonable, while giving enough time to voice valid concerns. How about a simple show of hands from the public - 5 minutes per hand before the person speaks? Or another member of the public that hasn't spoken concedes their 5 minutes to the speaker at the end of allotted time? If enough people are there to support you - can speak as long as you like.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
They should call this the Jayson Berg Rule. I am as big a fan of open mic poetry as there is. But it gets wacky at Council Meetings.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
While some people may over use this right, we need to keep it as is. I've spoken recently re: the McGinley sq. Redevelopment Plan which went on for almost 3 hrs. It was extremely productive for the residents to have this time (and we were organized) as we got to ask the City Planners and developers a lot of questions before the council. In doing this, we exposed a lot of problems with the plan and a lot of lies and contradictions the developer had been telling during that meeting, and before. President Lavarro did a great job keeping speakers on topic. If we didn't have this open time limit to hash out details and make our case, the residents wouldn't have gotten any wins out of this deal. We won a few solid points, most notably abolishing the four large video screens the developer wanted to go on the building and secure money from them towards building the new park at the square.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Plan to limit public comment at Jersey City council meetings draws Fulop's ire

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
July 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Looks like there's no chance of d?tente between Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop and his chief antagonist, City Councilman Rich Boggiano.

The political adversaries are bickering over Boggiano's proposal to limit public comment at council meetings, with Fulop's spokeswoman saying Boggiano does nothing but "complain" and the councilman striking back by criticizing the mayor for running a "top-secret administration."

The measure in question would place a five-minute limit on speakers who offer comment during the second reading of an ordinance. Currently, speakers during those legally mandated public hearings can speak as long as they wish, which Boggiano said discourages others from speaking when some public hearings drag on for hours.

"This is just to give everyone an opportunity to talk," Boggiano told The Jersey Journal. "We had people leaving here at 10, 11 ... they get disgusted and walk out and leave."

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said Fulop is opposed to the ordinance, just as he opposed a similar measure that limited public comments at Board of Education meetings earlier this year. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ting_public_comments.html

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... eetings.html#incart_river

I am all for this. I've said it before and said it again - at every council meeting it is always the same group of people (you know who you are) asking question after question about every ordinance, and dragging the meetings out four hours or longer. I will say that some of the questions asked are sensible, but sometimes it is just ridiculous and hard to believe that every ordinance proposed affects every one of the same people.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
July 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Looks like there's no chance of d?tente between Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop and his chief antagonist, City Councilman Rich Boggiano.

The political adversaries are bickering over Boggiano's proposal to limit public comment at council meetings, with Fulop's spokeswoman saying Boggiano does nothing but "complain" and the councilman striking back by criticizing the mayor for running a "top-secret administration."

The measure in question would place a five-minute limit on speakers who offer comment during the second reading of an ordinance. Currently, speakers during those legally mandated public hearings can speak as long as they wish, which Boggiano said discourages others from speaking when some public hearings drag on for hours.

"This is just to give everyone an opportunity to talk," Boggiano told The Jersey Journal. "We had people leaving here at 10, 11 ... they get disgusted and walk out and leave."

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said Fulop is opposed to the ordinance, just as he opposed a similar measure that limited public comments at Board of Education meetings earlier this year. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ting_public_comments.html

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... eetings.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/7/11 17:09

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017