Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: In Jersey City, a sidewalk memorial honors a cop killer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
fab - there is a police memorial statue in Jersey City, it's in the middle of Montgommery street just east of Marin. A terrible spot as nobody can really see it in the middle of the street there.

Resized Image

http://jcfop4.org/images/statue11.jpg

Robin.

I'm aware of it, but its in the middle of the road and dangerous to access for more then 1 or 2 persons. They could relocate it to a better more accessible area and inscribe the names of the fallen - I'd even like the idea of a beam of blue light going skyward when we lose an officer for a week or so.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 23:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
While I abhor and lament the sentiments of the widow (kill more cops), it would be folly to not try to understand why some people feel a deep mistrust and antipathy for cops and easily dismiss them without getting any insights into why they feel that way. I've lived in Jersey City for quite some time. In that time, I've been stopped twice by Jersey City cops for making turns when I didn't realize I couldn't. In both instances, I was shocked and dismayed by the manner they addressed me (one using expletives, "pull the F over now!" spittle and all getting on my car, and am convinced he was a part of the steroids debacle years back because he was so irate and muscle-bound and his anger toward me made no sense and out of proportion to the matter). And I did wonder to myself, "if I, an upper-middle class POC, get treated this way, how is it for POC in less affluent areas of JC/elsewhere." Then a third time, I was pulled over as a passenger with a white female friend of mine from high school who was driving her SUV, visiting from Colts Neck and my jaw dropped in how she was treated (politely/smiling "hi ma'am, know why I pulled you over" and she was let go with a warning with her cheery adieu of "thnx officer!" whereas I've never received a warning in my life). yes, it's a anecdote; and, yes these were all different cops so it's not unequivocally clear (it would have been certain if these were all the same cops) but I do think race AND signifiers of class/wealth play a role in how one is treated by police (e.g. I do think some whites are also treated shabbily by the police but I would wager its whites who don't appear well-off, have a certain zip code or present themselves in a certain manner - dress, speech, etc. And some of you like Geraldo know that already in saying "well maybe if Trayvon didn't have saggy pants or a hoodie" "black men should dress better so this won't happen" -- respectability politics). It would be good if some of you could get out of your bubbles, decisive know it all attitude and espouse Roger Ebert's philosophy of what it might be like to live in someone else's shoes or fathom what it's like for them.

http://newblackman.blogspot.com/2014/ ... -by-brothers-writing.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wor ... oman-in-head-9585264.html

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/t ... ison-pipeline-fact-sheet/

Posted on: 2014/7/21 22:12

Edited by VanVorster on 2014/7/21 22:34:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Yes, I'm sure the folks that wrote "Thug Life" and whatnot on the shrine were evoking Polynices and the tragic conflict of Antigone's love for her brother and loyalty to the state...

Good lord, sometimes a liberal arts education is a scary thing.

Ha, indeed.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Yes, I'm sure the folks that wrote "Thug Life" and whatnot on the shrine were evoking Polynices and the tragic conflict of Antigone's love for her brother and loyalty to the state...

Ha, indeed.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/21 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I don't agree with the memorial but in some ways i do understand. Most of the tough talking computer jockeys on here should read Antigone it might help to understand human nature a bit.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I don't agree with the memorial but in some ways i do understand. Most of the tough talking computer jockeys on here should read Antigone it might help to understand human nature a bit.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 14:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/12 22:31
From 07305
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a link to the story of The Police Memorial on Montgomery Street.

www.jcpsoa.com/policestatue.html

Posted on: 2014/7/21 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I think Fulop made a douchbag move, and I voted for him. He was totally out of line.

By Steven Fulop

The killer?s wife made the horrible comment to News12 ? ?my husband should have killed more police? ? and sadly a handful of her neighbors subsequently made a shrine to the killer that I had removed.

The wife?s comments and the shrine are appalling, yes ? disgusting, yes ? and ignorant, yes. Still, this gives us the chance to think about where we as a community have not connected along the way in that some people can feel this way toward our society. Every city in this nation puts police out every single day to protect residents, yet every city also has people that, sadly, feel as the killer?s wife does.

So, this becomes a teachable moment we shouldn?t just discard because we are shocked by the brutality of her comments. Yes, it is a long-term fix that includes better education leading to secure jobs and a justice system that is equitable. It is easier to dismiss her comments, but, though much harder, it is appropriate ? as elected officials and members of society ? to try to understand why she feels that way.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/7/19 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I think Fulop made a douchbag move, and I voted for him. He was totally out of line.

Allowing something like that cheapens the meaning of it. His family and friends can mourn at his wake, just like the rest of us get when we go.

Fulop showed he had some balls in removing that trash. I'm surprised but happy.

So when's he going to remove the 2nd memorial?

He doesn't need to, because as others have said that will only make it worse.

Fulop was faced with national scorn and any true leader needed to act. He did. He actually succeeded on a national level, because news that it was put back up never made the American national press. I wouldn't expect him to keep doing the same thing over and over, but he had to do something and he did. Pretty soon these animals will forget all about this and can go back to killing each other.

If it made sense the 1st time, it makes sense the 2nd time. And vice versa.

Sorry, not true. The first time he had the national media breathing down his neck, along with local outrage. Now the media presence is gone, and the local outrage has died down.

So he does things to placate the media instead of what's right?

This isn't very hard to understand. Not sure why you are experiencing such difficulty. Most (never all) agree with both decisions, and you'd be deliberately obtuse to suggest otherwise.

That didn't answer my question.

I'm not experiencing difficulty. I'm just noticing that Fulop's priority is to placate the media over doing what's right.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Allowing something like that cheapens the meaning of it. His family and friends can mourn at his wake, just like the rest of us get when we go.

Fulop was faced with national scorn and any true leader needed to act. He did. He actually succeeded on a national level, because news that it was put back up never made the American national press. I wouldn't expect him to keep doing the same thing over and over, but he had to do something and he did. Pretty soon these animals will forget all about this and can go back to killing each other.

Sorry, not true. The first time he had the national media breathing down his neck, along with local outrage. Now the media presence is gone, and the local outrage has died down.

This isn't very hard to understand. Not sure why you are experiencing such difficulty. Most (never all) agree with both decisions, and you'd be deliberately obtuse to suggest otherwise.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/18 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
fab - there is a police memorial statue in Jersey City, it's in the middle of Montgommery street just east of Marin. A terrible spot as nobody can really see it in the middle of the street there.

Resized Image

http://jcfop4.org/images/statue11.jpg

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/18 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

The mayor may have some shown balls, and I even give him props for that. However, if this memorial gets taken down again, it will only give more publicity to the cop killer, exactly what his family and friends want. I'm sure most of us have heard of the Streisand effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Just leave it there and ignore it, and avoid giving ____ more free publicity.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I'm glad its removed as it could set a precedent with individual memorials all over the place.

We have cemeteries for this sort of thing and we have memorials for cartographic human loss events.

What we need is a dedicated POLICE memorial, to visit, pay homage and a place to grieve future fallen officers, while still remembering their past fallen colleagues at the same time.

It could also be a place for official bereavement ceremonies and location for public placement of flowers.

Every person that dies as a result of violence in JC is a tragedy and loss to someone. To build a bridge in our community, I'd like to see a memorial and yearly service for all those deaths. Leave blame and judgement of actions outside. And I know that it's impossible for some people to forgive.

But if we can bring folks together in shared grief, recognize we're all human beings sharing the same city, it might bring the overall community a little closer, and help reduce these types of tragedy.

The alternative as I see it it, is to continue treating folks as animals based on the actions of the dead.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 6:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/18 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad its removed as it could set a precedent with individual memorials all over the place.

We have cemeteries for this sort of thing and we have memorials for cartographic human loss events.

What we need is a dedicated POLICE memorial, to visit, pay homage and a place to grieve future fallen officers, while still remembering their past fallen colleagues at the same time.

It could also be a place for official bereavement ceremonies and location for public placement of flowers.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/18 3:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/18 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Even if the 'shrine' is on private property and approved by the property owner it can be removed or shut down as a public nuisance if it becomes one-having traffic tie up the street, too many people gathering, etc.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jctexan wrote:
Do you think Fulop made a bad decision if the property owners called the police and asked for it to be taken down? Just curious.

I 100% agree. If the property owners wanted the litter removed, then Fulop did the right thing. Bravo!

If the owners were in support of this BS, then unfortunatley Fulop is in the wrong. But I highly doubt they were.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 2:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Do you think Fulop made a bad decision if the property owners called the police and asked for it to be taken down? Just curious.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/18 1:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
I can't agree more with the mayors decision to remove it. And I applaud him saying it was "his" decision. By making that statement, he is saying something to the effect of "don't blame those that you see removing it, its on me."

And for those that say this is infringing on freedom of speech, I would counter with "Well, it was taken down because it was litter. Decent people want a clean JC."

Posted on: 2014/7/18 1:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I would guess that the property owners were asked by police/the city if they wanted it/had supported it on their property. The city can't just remove something on private property against the owner's wishes, I assume? I dunno. The whole situation is awful. But it was private property, so seems like the owners should be the ones to decide. Who knows, maybe the owners even worried about retaliation by taking it down themselves and asked police to take it down? If that's the case, the city can't "tell" on the owners for asking it to be removed, and are now just taking full responsibility? Anyway, just one idea...

Posted on: 2014/7/18 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
There is no one who would fault Fulop over this except people who would not vote for him anyway and are looking for political points.

I voted for him.

I should have phrased it looking towards the future. Anyway that isn't the point. Fulop reacted to the national media attention and most sensible people are happy he ordered the removal of this trash. Which was on private property.

And all of this is moot because it's back.

Most sensible = your preference. Nice.

It was on a private property, sure. How do we know the owner didn't support the memorial?

Posted on: 2014/7/17 23:45

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017