Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NJ Transit to expand 35 light rail cars on Hudson, Newark lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I never take it during commuting hours, but the train to/from Newport is mobbed on weekends. Mostly because they have only 1/2 the normal size train. I don't know if this will fix the problem or not.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can explain why they only run the 1/2 size train on weekends. Does it really cost that much extra to include the second car?

Posted on: 2014/7/14 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Since the launch of Hudson-Bergen Light Rail in 2000, ridership on the line has grown steadily. In the past eight years alone, passenger trips have doubled to more than 45,000 per day, according to NJ Transit.

I wonder if that figure is based on people who pay for their rides, or "guesstimates" based on random counts, or just made up.

I can say this: the few times I have taken the light rail in the mornings to connect with PATH trains, it is ALWAYS MOBBED. You have to pack yourself into the trains. 45,000 riders per day sounds too low.

I ride during the morning from 10 AM and then about 12:30 PM and then again from 7-9 PM. Its never crowded, no high school students and usually a smooth ride. I guess when you are you traveling rush hours you can expect it to be crowded. When I first started commuting on it back in 2011 it was mostly teens, now I am seeing more adults each year I live here.

Agreed. Outside of regular morning commute hours, the light rail is actually pleasant. It is the morning rush hour, as well as in the evenings, around 6- 7 PM, that it can get incredibly crowded. And, when you add the rowdy teens, it is actually not at all pleasant. But, I think it is incredible that it has succeeded to the point where it has become such an important piece in the regional public transportation picture. Entire areas of JC and Bayonne are developing (and gentrifying) thanks to nearby light rail stations

Posted on: 2014/7/14 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
whenever i have taken it; it has been crowded

Posted on: 2014/7/14 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Since the launch of Hudson-Bergen Light Rail in 2000, ridership on the line has grown steadily. In the past eight years alone, passenger trips have doubled to more than 45,000 per day, according to NJ Transit.

I wonder if that figure is based on people who pay for their rides, or "guesstimates" based on random counts, or just made up.

I can say this: the few times I have taken the light rail in the mornings to connect with PATH trains, it is ALWAYS MOBBED. You have to pack yourself into the trains. 45,000 riders per day sounds too low.

I ride during the morning from 10 AM and then about 12:30 PM and then again from 7-9 PM. Its never crowded, no high school students and usually a smooth ride. I guess when you are you traveling rush hours you can expect it to be crowded. When I first started commuting on it back in 2011 it was mostly teens, now I am seeing more adults each year I live here.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/7/14 14:58

NJ Transit to expand 35 light rail cars on Hudson, Newark lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Melissa Bilecky | The Jersey Journal

One year after NJ Transit unveiled a Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train car that included two additional sections for seating, the NJ Transit Board of Directors approved adding 35 of the expanded light rail vehicles to the agency's fleet.

The innovative, expanded vehicles ? which offer 50 percent more seating capacity than standard light rail vehicles ? will be placed into revenue service starting in late 2015.

"We've heard from customers through surveys conducted as part of NJ Transit's Scorecard initiative that crowding on trains ? particularly on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail system ? is one of their top concerns," said NJ Transit Executive Director Veronique "Ronnie" Hakim.

"Thanks to a successful public-private partnership, we will be able to offer 50 percent more seating capacity on our busiest trains at a fraction of the cost, enhancing the overall customer experience on both the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and Newark Light Rail systems."

The board authorized an additional $54 million under NJ Transit's contract with Twenty-First Century Rail Corp., of Jersey City, to extend 25 Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and 10 Newark Light Rail vehicles, including spare parts.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 14:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017