Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: One Year In, Jersey City Mayor Eyes More
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Wall Street, Marine vet mayor shakes things up in Jersey City

By The Associated Press
July 04, 2014 at 11:30 PM

JERSEY CITY ? A young, energetic urban mayor reshapes the political landscape and spurs talk of higher office. Six or seven years ago in New Jersey, that description would have applied to Newark Mayor Cory Booker. Now it describes Steven Fulop, the ex-Marine and ex-Wall Streeter who has shaken up the status quo in Jersey City and fueled speculation about larger ambitions.

The comparisons between Fulop and Booker, New Jersey's junior U.S. senator, can run to the fanciful. Booker was dubbed a "rock star" mayor for his national media profile; Fulop was portrayed as a rock star in a New York Observer piece that featured a drawing of him as Bruce Springsteen from the "Born In The USA" album cover. (A framed print hangs in Fulop's conference room.)

"They're both young, kind of hip but also kind of dorky in a cute way," said Montclair University political scientist Brigid Harrison. "Stylistically they are a bit different; I think of Steve being very comfortable in one-on-one situations, almost like a Bill Clinton-esque policy wonk, in tune with what's going on on the ground. I haven't seen him engage in the lofty rhetoric we've heard from Booker."

Perhaps tellingly, the Clintons have played a role in Fulop's ascension. Fulop supported Hillary Clinton for president in 2008, and Bill Clinton headlined a Fulop fundraiser last December. The downside: President Barack Obama made a rare foray into local politics last year and supported two-term Mayor Jerramiah Healy, an old-school machine politician.

Fulop had made a name for himself as a thorn in Healy's side on the City Council. He defeated him soundly last year to take over a city of 250,000 that has been called "New York's sixth borough" for its proximity to lower Manhattan and concentration of young urban professionals. Wall Street firms, including Fulop's former employer ? Goldman Sachs ? have offices in shiny, new buildings on the banks of the Hudson River.

Fulop says that during Healy's two terms, philanthropic money gravitated toward Newark and Booker's star power. With Booker in Washington, that pendulum may be starting to swing the other way.

"Because of Cory, Jersey City was a no-fly zone, meaning it was Newark and New York and everybody kind of bypassed us," he said. "I think there's a good opportunity now to leverage the private sector to do some good things for the city."

Like Booker during his seven-plus years as mayor, Fulop has drawn criticism from people who feel he has one eye on governing and one eye on his next job. He is frequently mentioned as a possible gubernatorial candidate, a fact that he has accepted along with the inevitable questions that he parries with a practiced ease.

"If I told you that I don't think about anything other than this job, you won't believe me," he said. "If I told you I think about it sometimes, all the time, some derivative of that, I'm doing a disservice to my job. That's a no-win answer for me and I think people can appreciate that. That said, a lot of this stuff is based on timing and circumstances, so it's really hard to predict."

Fulop's first year as mayor has been anything but uneventful. He has demoted the city's police chief, sued the powerful Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for $400 million in what he claims are unpaid property taxes, and changed tax rules to shift development from the more affluent waterfront to the Journal Square area.

He has also jousted with the board of education over leasing space for new pre-K centers and challenged the gun lobby with new rules for gun manufacturers seeking city contracts.

Not everyone has been thrilled. Councilman Richard Boggiano said Fulop has paid too much attention to large-scale development projects at the expense of more mundane issues such as dirty streets, potholes and snow removal. He also criticized Fulop's push to consolidate the city's authorities.

"I would like to see a stop to the antagonizing of the Department of Public Works, the Jersey City Incinerator Authority, the parking authority," he said. "These are all people who live in the city and work here. You can't change everything overnight. You have four years, but unfortunately it seems like he's already running for governor."

Fulop seems unconcerned at the possibility that his reach may occasionally exceed his grasp.

"The nature of public office today is that mayors have an opportunity to shape the dialogue more than they have in the last 20 years," he said. "Jersey City being part of that conversation, which I think we have been, we're punching above our weight, which I think is a good thing for the city."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... gs_up_in_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2014/7/5 5:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/3 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
You really wouldn't want a mayor who was "Eyeing Less" would you?

Posted on: 2014/7/2 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
@ Pebble, Fulop is a politician, that "white male" statement was made for a specific audience and I think you are smart enough to understand my point. People talk about "code words" and that phrase is not meant to be complimentary. And to say that he as white male makes it okay, as an elected public official, he should not be making those comments if he represents all of us.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
So you're OK with him selling us out to CarePoint?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I hope Fulop and Booker are gay. It would not be an issue in NJ. But it will enrage further the Jesus freaks, and who doesn't enjoy that?

And Sweeney is a thug who stands no chance at statewide election. Once his partner in crime Christie goes to jail, the South Jersey machine will collapse on itself.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

IF!!!!!! I love the strawmen that people build.

Fulop happens to be a white male; just as Chris Rock gets to say a ton of black jokes that you want to say but can't.

That is a stupid statement. Chris Rock is a comedian. Fulop is not making a joke. He is serious. Obviously you can't see the crucial difference between the two.

What you call stupid, I consider a juxtaposition of accurate assessment. Fulop is legally allowed to make a joke, unless you believe that there is some form of socially approved individuals classified in some vault as ?comedian.?

I?m sorry that your delicate sensibilities were so hurt by a white male commenting on other white male. To make up for it, I am sure black people will allow you to make black jokes you are so desperate to make for the adequate time of 30 minutes.

Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
You may think the pandering white male crack is funny but I resent being stereo typed and categorized with the implication (prejudice) that white men are inherently evil therefore as a member of that group, you are evil too and out to hurt people. Some will say the shoe is on the other foot, how does that feel? I will say two wrongs don't make a right, our society should be better than that line of thought.
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Fulop didn't purposely create a jam.

He also has a lot of achievements that I delineated.

This is the usual Republican canard- someone is popular or a "celebrity", and thus shouldn't be elected.

And I'm a white male, and I don't give a crap about his comment. I thought it was funny.

I guess all the single white dudes in downtown want to ride a train with a bunch of other dudes? Interesting. I guess you avoid the PATH.

Too bad. NJ is not only going to have a "celebrity" senator, but a celebrity governor once Fulop comes in...and a celebrity prez in Hillary or Obama...

And Christie will be holding on to the soap for dear life.

?White men are evil!? ? A bit over the top, no? Considering Fulop is a white male, I don?t really see how he thinks that white men are evil, but ok?

Quote:

papadage wrote:
Stupid partisan or personality based outrage is idiotic when there are actual substantive criticisms that can be made. Stooping to whining about unfunny jokes, or trumped up outrage shows a preference for scoring points rather than actually talking about important issues.

Fact.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Going to repeat that tripe when you get that big CarePoint ambulance bill?

It's a shame that this thread completely derailed on irrelevant bs such as Fulop's "celebrity" status, his perceived sexuality, or his stupid quote.

As papadage points out, regardless of political affiliation, people should be concerned about their pocketbooks. And Fulop's intention to have his campaign donors over at McCabe/Carepoint empty your wallets.

It's a fact that all McCabe ambulance rides are out of network with all insurances, and these ambulance rides alone typically cost between $1,500-$2,000. It's also a fact that the Carepoint hospital in Bayonne was named by the NYT as the most expensive hospital in the country. And one reason the CarePoint/McCabe folks are spending money on Fulop is to gain a foothold in Jersey City so they can divert the patients they "service" to their hospitals.

Actions speak louder than words.

So instead of focusing on how likeable or what a "celebrity" Fulop is, folks should be a bit concerned about Fulop's actions in attempting to make a deal that could spell financial ruin for many JC residents.

The Carepoint issue could become a major issue as things progress forward. It really depends on how deep those Carepoint wallets are and how much more they have to drop on a governor?s race?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:34
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Stupid partisan or personality based outrage is idiotic when there are actual substantive criticisms that can be made. Stooping to whining about unfunny jokes, or trumped up outrage shows a preference for scoring points rather than actually talking about important issues.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:

It's a shame that this thread completely derailed on irrelevant bs such as Fulop's "celebrity" status, his perceived sexuality, or his stupid quote.

As papadage points out, regardless of political affiliation, people should be concerned about their pocketbooks. And Fulop's intention to have his campaign donors over at McCabe/Carepoint empty your wallets.

It's a fact that all McCabe ambulance rides are out of network with all insurances, and these ambulance rides alone typically cost between $1,500-$2,000. It's also a fact that the Carepoint hospital in Bayonne was named by the NYT as the most expensive hospital in the country. And one reason the CarePoint/McCabe folks are spending money on Fulop is to gain a foothold in Jersey City so they can divert the patients they "service" to their hospitals.

Actions speak louder than words.

So instead of focusing on how likeable or what a "celebrity" Fulop is, folks should be a bit concerned about Fulop's actions in attempting to make a deal that could spell financial ruin for many JC residents.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 22:17

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/6/29 22:41:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
The joke is that old white men are dull and uninteresting.

Meh.. a lot of outrage for a stupid joke.. dumb as it was.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
You may think the pandering white male crack is funny but I resent being stereo typed and categorized with the implication (prejudice) that white men are inherently evil therefore as a member of that group, you are evil too and out to hurt people. Some will say the shoe is on the other foot, how does that feel? I will say two wrongs don't make a right, our society should be better than that line of thought.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

This is the usual Republican canard- someone is popular or a "celebrity", and thus shouldn't be elected.

And I'm a white male, and I don't give a crap about his comment. I thought it was funny.

I guess all the single white dudes in downtown want to ride a train with a bunch of other dudes? Interesting. I guess you avoid the PATH.

Too bad. NJ is not only going to have a "celebrity" senator, but a celebrity governor once Fulop comes in...and a celebrity prez in Hillary or Obama...

Posted on: 2014/6/28 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Anyone can say a joke. The issue is whether it's stupid to antagonize a substantial portion of your electorate to do so. It speaks of a level of social stupidity more than anything else. It's very common with people who consider themselves the brightest person in the room. They like to overuse irony, not realizing it makes them look awkward and trying too hard to be edgy/funny.

I don't think he was serious, but still a dumb thing to say. It's an indication he is not even close to ready for higher office.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Fulop happens to be a white male; just as Chris Rock gets to say a ton of black jokes that you want to say but can't.

That is a stupid statement. Chris Rock is a comedian. Fulop is not making a joke. He is serious. Obviously you can't see the crucial difference between the two.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

I had a conversation about this over the past week. The general consensus is that people outside of JC really like Fulop.

To this, as with good ol' Booker, my question is: WHY???

Besides the great PR and advertisements, people love good looking, well spoken empty suits. People who have accomplished NOTHING. It's pathetic. So again I say, we get the government we deserve.

Why do people watch American Idol? Why do people like Christie? Why do furries exist? There are a lot of questions out there with one simple answer: Because they do.

You can argue that people like empty suits and I'll counter that with saying that marketing can make anything look enticing.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 3:16
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Like I said, I get the point you're making. You're just making it in the wrong place.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Is NJ willing to nomiinate a Jewish Governor, and one who may or may not be in the closet? While neither of those would pose a problem for me, (and the McGreevey tie-in will come up in that context) it would be an unspoken issue in a statewide primary with rough and tumble Irish ironworker Sweeney who knows bare knuckle politics.

I get the point you're making, but man you just opened yourself up for some crazy attacks from this group. Good luck with that, dude.

Anyone not recognizing that part of the equation would be crazy to not admit it. When the color or gender of a candidate is used as a tool (like Obama and Mrs. Clinton), and we've had religion used before (POTUS JFK), sexual identity in this century will come up as well.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

I had a conversation about this over the past week. The general consensus is that people outside of JC really like Fulop.

To this, as with good ol' Booker, my question is: WHY???

Besides the great PR and advertisements, people love good looking, well spoken empty suits. People who have accomplished NOTHING. It's pathetic. So again I say, we get the government we deserve.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Pebs, I led with the Jewish part, didn't I?

Besides, this issue goes way before I ever stepped foot in JC, here's a thread from 2007.

http://www.ontheerie.com/upper/viewtopic.php?t=636

Posted on: 2014/6/27 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Mostly by people who make crypto-bigot dog whistles.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Will those who criticize Governor Christie about his supposed POTUS aspirations (in his second term) also criticize Mayor Fulop about his gubernatorial aspirations in the first year of his first term?

We'll see I suppose if the standards are held equally to both.

Nobody cares about aspirations.

I had a conversation about this over the past week. The general consensus is that people outside of JC really like Fulop. The issue that I stated at the time was that I?d like to see him around a bit longer to accomplish more before jumping to that higher post. However, if he didn?t aspire to higher office then what is his motivation to improve things?

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Fulop would be a great governor. God forbid Steve Sweeney becomes governor the state would be destroyed.

I don?t know if Fulop would be a great governor, but Sweeney would be awful. He?s such a POS.

Quote:

Adonis wrote:
"I'm not all that excited about a train ride with hundreds of predominantly white males," he said. "But it's something you need to do."

If you took that statement and a substituted the word "females" instead of "males" or if you substituted "black" instead of "white" Fulop would have been forced to resign his mayorship.

I voted for him and contributed to his campaign but he is turning out to be a real dick. What's led it worse is that he campaigned on a platform that revolved around him being "different" than your average politician. But in the end he is just more of the same. Joke's on me.

Fulop happens to be a white male; just as Chris Rock gets to say a ton of black jokes that you want to say but can?t.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Is NJ willing to nomiinate a Jewish Governor, and one who may or may not be in the closet? While neither of those would pose a problem for me, (and the McGreevey tie-in will come up in that context) it would be an unspoken issue in a statewide primary with rough and tumble Irish ironworker Sweeney who knows bare knuckle politics.

I like how you go for the sexual preference. Smart people have moved on from that. Though, I guess people can look back and they'll say McGreevey leaving office is where everything started going downhill. We got the crook Corzine and the fat Christie.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 20:23
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I get the point you're making, but man you just opened yourself up for some crazy attacks from this group. Good luck with that, dude.

Anyone not recognizing that part of the equation would be crazy to not admit it. When the color or gender of a candidate is used as a tool (like Obama and Mrs. Clinton), and we've had religion used before (POTUS JFK), sexual identity in this century will come up as well.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/27 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/27 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/6/27 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/27 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I was banned from posting to his FB page simply for pointing out months after the election he will leap pad to higher office ASAP.

Quote:

papadage wrote:
I will still take him over the previous administration.

I got banned from posting on his FB page for bringing up Carepoint/McCabe.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Yeah, that one issue alone is a line in the sand for me as well.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
I am talking about if it was a replay of the last election, and knowing he would be like this anyway.

Even in the future.. it depends on who he is against. Sad to say, but there are worse.

Besides, he has no hope of being governor, so if he realizes it, some of this behavior may reverse. If he does that before in a way that builds a decent track record, I can forgive some things.

Just like Christie will cling to his Presidential aspirations until the day he is mathematically eliminated, I think Fulop will do the same for governor. I'd bank on his behavior getting worse as he tries to rally big campaign contributions.

I'd be more willing to forgive if he does not get his way with CarePoint/McCabe, but even so I suspect there is more where that came from.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I am talking about if it was a replay of the last election, and knowing he would be like this anyway.

Even in the future.. it depends on who he is against. Sad to say, but there are worse.

Besides, he has no hope of being governor, so if he realizes it, some of this behavior may reverse. If he does that before in a way that builds a decent track record, I can forgive some things.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:

Obviously we are on the same page with the CarePoint/McCabe issue (I've had similar posts here deleted for being "off topic") but I'm curious as to why you'd still vote for him again?

He is aggressively trying to whore out JC residents to his campaign donors so they will help bankroll his governor campaign. The damage will only be seen after the fact when residents get stuck with bills that could send them into bankruptcy. It is the main reason why I wish I could take my vote back (although this quote doesn't help).

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:34

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017