Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: BIG Fireworks - BIG Festival - Liberty State Park on July 4th!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
Yet to see a map but looking at these photos, the fireworks are set up just south of the terminal, the horses stables are close to one of the restaurants and the stage might be north of the terminal, not sure.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Bicycles should be fine, but it will likely translate into walking your bike once inside the park. Lots of people coming and going on the paths will likely force all bike riders to walk their bikes. Maybe I am wrong, of course. Time will tell. :)

Posted on: 2014/7/3 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I hope we can travel there by bicycle. I would not want to be turned away.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 18:16
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, they'd haven't published a map of the locations for the bands, where there fireworks will be shot from, or the areas open or closed.

However, when they've had concerts and the polo matches, it's been north of the car bridge that goes to Ellis Island between the Hudson River Walkway and Freedom Way (the road that bisects the park). That's where I'd expect them to be.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 17:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/28 2:00
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Where exactly are the concerts? Near the railway terminal or all the way on the other side of the park (near the picnic and BBQ tables?) I believe it's near the railway terminal but would appreciate if someone can confirm.

Love this concept of fireworks in our own town!!

Posted on: 2014/7/3 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
are there ferries from paulus hook, hoboken and manhattan to lsp. that would surely help ease congestion

Posted on: 2014/7/3 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
If you live in the vicinity of LSP's northern entrance (Communipaw/Johnston/and the immediate side streets) be warned that street parking may get tight today as the LSP Park & Ride customers are being told to remove their cars tonight (before 7/4 1AM) and to park elsewhere.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 11:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City will stage huge 'Freedom and Fireworks Festival' Friday

By Melissa Bilecky/The Jersey Journal
July 02, 2014 at 9:48 AM

A spectacular fireworks show will be the climax to a daylong extravaganza Friday as Jersey City celebrates the Fourth of July.

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop said the the huge fireworks display will run a full 20 minutes after a day filled with activities.

Today, state officials toured Liberty State Park, which will host Friday's events, as part of the state's "Tourism Tuesday" initiative.

Friday's festivities will include a special guest appearance from the iconic Budweiser Clydesdales, along with the Budweiser Brewmaster Experience and Beer Gardens.

Country music star Craig Morgan joins Budweiser to salute servicemen and women, both past and present, with a free concert.

Additionally, there will be a free performance by Kristen Redmond. The live music begins at 5:30 p.m.

Buddy "Cake Boss" Valastro, is also creating a special Fourth of July cake for the Jersey City Freedom & Fireworks Festival. The cake will be a one-of-a-kind creation featuring various Jersey City landmarks and attractions, including the Colgate Clock, City Hall, and the Statue of Liberty. The cake will also feature sparklers to celebrate the hospital.

With the announcement that New York City was moving the Macy?s Fireworks display to the East River, Jersey City officials worked quickly to fill the void for residents of Jersey City, northern New Jersey, and the west side of New York City.

"We are excited to bring fireworks back to Jersey City and to have the premier Fourth of July event in New Jersey," said Fulop. "Thanks to the help of our great sponsors, this will truly be a national event and will be a great day of entertainment for the entire family."

Starting at noon and running until 10:30 p.m., there will be family-friendly activities including carnival rides, games and food from local vendors and food trucks.

The event, which is free and open to the public, is expected to draw approximately 150,000 people to the park, will offer prime views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the Freedom Tower and New York City skyline.

"No one should hesitate to come see the fireworks display because of transportation," said Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno.

According to Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bob Martin, there will be extra police on hand, along with extra bus and possible ferry service on Friday to accommodate the large number of people the city is anticipating.

"Safety is the main priority," said Guadagno.

Fireworks will be by Grucci, known as "America's First Family of Fireworks," which has mounted fireworks performances for many of the world?s special events including seven consecutive U.S. presidential inaugurations, Olympic Games and World's Fairs.

Budweiser, a sponsor of the event, will donate $3 million to Fold of Honor Foundation, an organization that assists the spouses and children of fallen veterans with educational scholarships.

Anyone wishing to support Fold of Honor can do so by entering an online code found in specially marked packages of Budweiser to trigger a $1 donation that will provide scholarships to families of military members killed or disabled in action.

Other sponsors of the day's events include The Jersey Journal and Suntex Marinas.
With over 100,000 spectators expected to watch Grucci's pyrotechncs at Liberty State Park, Surf City at 1 Marin Blvd. will provide residents with a cool sandy alternative to watch the display.

Doors to Surf City open at noon Friday with no cover charge and $20 special for all-dark parking. The restaurant's megabar offers both indoor and outdoor seating.

Here's a timeline of Friday's Jersey City Freedom & Fireworks Festival at Liberty State Park:

9:00 a.m. - Clydesdale stables open for stable viewing
Noon - Beer Garden Experiences open
1:00 p.m. - Budweiser Brewmaster Experience open
4:00 p.m. - Clydesdales begin hooking up to wagon
5:00 to 7 p.m. - Budweiser Clydesdale Show
5:30 p.m. - Opening Act, Kristen Redmond, 90-min performance
7-7:30 p.m. - Suntex / Jersey City presentation
7 p.m. - Craig Morgan, two-hour performance
(Scholarship presentation during performance)
8 p.m. - BGEs & Brewmaster Experience close
Fireworks by Grucci to follow

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... d_fireworks_festival.html

Posted on: 2014/7/3 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Getting out on bike is tough, a lot of walking it till you get to Jersey. I'm thinking maybe the best plan is sit tight, drink another bottle of, um, grape juice, and wait an hour or so enjoying the evening view.

Yep. If I do decide to go in close, I'll chill afterward till the walkers eventually thin out and I can just ride away.

What I WON'T do is sit grumpily in car traffic on the nearby streets, wait in long lines to park, etc.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Getting out on bike is tough, a lot of walking it till you get to Jersey. I'm thinking maybe the best plan is sit tight, drink another bottle of, um, grape juice, and wait an hour or so enjoying the evening view.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Bike JC is warning fireworks festival attendees to expect delays of up to zero minutes if you choose to bike in. Please plan accordingly.

Unless you have waterskis attached to the bike don't expect to travel much faster than those on two legs during the post fireworks exodus.

Are you really going to zip by the hordes on the stinky bridge over Mill Creek?

HAHAHAHAHA no. I won't sniff that little bridge all day. I'll use the streets closed to car traffic, the backwater paths, industrial truck roads, etc.

And of course, if I decide to watch from the middle of 100,000 people, there will be no rushing to exit.

Instead I'll probably filter in and out for the festival during the day, escape well before the show, then bike around the outskirts till I find my own vantage point away from the main clot. Bikes are good like that. My cruiser even has a comfy seat!

Posted on: 2014/7/3 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Bike JC is warning fireworks festival attendees to expect delays of up to zero minutes if you choose to bike in. Please plan accordingly.

Unless you have waterskis attached to the bike don't expect to travel much faster than those on two legs during the post fireworks exodus.

Are you really going to zip by the hordes on the stinky bridge over Mill Creek?

Posted on: 2014/7/3 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/3 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I know I may not be tuned too well into pop culture, but how much interest in Jersey City or Hudson County is there in having country recording artists Craig Morgan and Kristen Redmond performing at the festival? Over the years we have seen/enjoyed some very interesting and diverse performances during July 4th festivals, but is there appeal here for these musicians? clearly, I realize I could be wrong.

Your second question/sentence begins with a comment about how you've enjoyed diversity in the past and then, through use of "but" you seem to imply that these musicians don't chin your "very interesting" and/or "diverse" bars.

Not intending to rip you, Dan - just a pattern I've noticed more broadly lately and to my reading, this seemed to fit. Like when people use the word "diverse" to talk about a section of a city that is almost entirely african-american when, in fact, it is anything but. Political Correctness gone astray, I suppose.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Leadbelly.

Not sure if that counts as country, folk or blues. Bit of all three I suppose.

Robin.

Yes, I omitted blues wrongly.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Lead Belly.

Not sure if that counts as country, folk or blues. Bit of all three I suppose.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
huh? John, you lost me on this one. country music! but since I can only think of Charley Pride at the moment, I guess fits into your remark.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I know I may not be tuned too well into pop culture, but how much interest in Jersey City or Hudson County is there in having country recording artists Craig Morgan and Kristen Redmond performing at the festival? Over the years we have seen/enjoyed some very interesting and diverse performances during July 4th festivals, but is there appeal here for these musicians? clearly, I realize I could be wrong.

and yes, we are looking forward to local fireworks.

I've noticed a lot lately people using the word "diverse" to mean "anything but white." I find that odd.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

I've noticed a lot lately people using the word "diverse" to mean "anything but white." I find that odd.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Along with jazz, country music is uniquely American-something to celebrate on July 4th!

Posted on: 2014/7/2 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/2 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the NJ Transit warning about Light Rail delays anticipated for the 4th, noting that the system can only move 3,000 people per hour and that they're expecting over 100,000 to attend.

In other words, expect both rail and auto gridlock if you attend.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servle ... merNoticeTo&NoticeId=2377

Posted on: 2014/7/2 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
too bad they didn't organize a taste of new jersey type event as part of the big day

Posted on: 2014/6/30 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

karenelsa wrote:
Yes Morris Canal will be a lot easier to get to/from. The festival is noon to ten, so I assume fireworks will start by 9?

Sunset is around 8:30pm, so 9pm fireworks would be a good bet. That's the usual schedule on July 4th.

PS: I'd recommend a picnic hamper, something to sit on and a flashlight.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 2:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/29 13:55
Group:
Registered Users
Yes Morris Canal will be a lot easier to get to/from. The festival is noon to ten, so I assume fireworks will start by 9?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Word is that Grucci Fireworks was upset that Macy's didn't contract them for the East River show, so they are taking the kid gloves off. Their website has the LSP show listed at their highest class. Should be a great show.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
HeightsBrat
Quote:
The Fourth's events at LSP will start at noon & culminate with the fireworks at 9pm

TAKE THAT De Blah-sio.

When I was little squirt the fireworks were in the Hudson & we used to watch them from Riverview-Fisk. (Back in the 50's)

We use to watch them from the Turnpike! :)

Posted on: 2014/6/30 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maritime Parc mentioned on their Facebook page that they were taking reservations, although driving in and out will be a zoo that night.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 0:07

Re: Fourth of July Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

karenelsa wrote:
Does anyone have more info on the Jersey City fireworks? Where are they going off and where might they be visible? Surf City or Maritime Parc, or only in LSP? Thanks

If they're anything like last time - Morris Canal park would be an ideal viewing spot from downtown and save the hike into LSP.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

karenelsa wrote:
Any idea what time the fireworks start?

The Fourth's events at LSP will start at noon & culminate with the fireworks at 9pm

TAKE THAT De Blah-sio.

When I was little squirt the fireworks were in the Hudson & we used to watch them from Riverview-Fisk. (Back in the 50's)

Posted on: 2014/6/29 23:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/29 13:55
Group:
Registered Users
Any idea what time the fireworks start?

Posted on: 2014/6/29 22:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login