Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: 400 Unit Development in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Just like on this board, HP has a minority of hysterics that think the city can be frozen in time.

HP doesn't have a parking issue. There are almost always open spots on the street. There are two garages (Mall and 10th/Erie) walking distance from this project with open spots.

Schools? LOL. There are million dollar units all over Newport. You think those kids are going to Cordero in significant number? All the cars dropping off there in the morning tell the story of who is going to school there.

And I love the height argument...are the hysterics so blinded that they don't see THE HIGH RISE EXISTING FOR DECADES NEXT TO THE PROJECT?!

What is the affordable housing argument...there is one project right down Manila by Shop Rite...Holland Gardens across the tunnel...No one is being pushed out.

Hamilton Park residents in significant part choose the area because they like the convenience of newer development amenities surrounding our area in addition to the brownstone charm.

I certainly don't need people from the rest of the city telling us we don't need development because of abatement derangement syndrome. Can't wait for new residents and stores/restaurants on the first floor and the changes coming every day to the city.

The people who think that the city is stressed and who don't like change, that is why we have the Carolinas, South Jersey, Florida...no one is stopping you.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:
The problem with Ayn Rand is that she starts from the idea that private action always good, public action always bad, and that the masses are the equivalent of thieves. Of course, she wound up destitute and on welfare.

Have you actually read her work or are you just reacting to what you've heard? I don't agree with her at all, but I have read both AS and The Fountainhead and understand why some people find it so seductive. It's simple and comforting like religion, it gives you one simple answer for all questions.

I haven't read Mein Kampf, but I can see why we should, we should know why and how people come to crazy conclusions if they're kind enough to write them out for us. There's a lot of crazythink out there, and some of them, like Paul Ryan & Rand Paul, are seriously dangerous.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
The problem with Ayn Rand is that she starts from the idea that private action always good, public action always bad, and that the masses are the equivalent of thieves. Of course, she wound up destitute and on welfare.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:
I agree on the sentiment in some ways, but as for Atlas Shrugged, even a disingenuous, hypocritical, malicious, idiot clock can be right twice a day. Any wisdom imparted by that book is purely accidental.

I dunno, like the one I referenced there were some insights into gov't, at least for me at that age. One of the things I've seen frequently in my life is people who are brilliant at analysing a problem but either helpless, wrongheaded or downright dangerous in prescribing solutions.

The architecture & development critic William Howard Kunstler comes to mind, and is relevant to this thread for anyone who hasn't read him. Brilliant critic of those subjects, but is a peak oil nut and thinks western civilization will fall, and soon. He asks every interviewee on his podcast what they think of his pet theory that Japan will be the first nation to voluntarily revert to medievalism.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I agree on the sentiment in some ways, but as for Atlas Shrugged, even a disingenuous, hypocritical, malicious, idiot clock can be right twice a day. Any wisdom imparted by that book is purely accidental.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Which they always do, since more units mean more money.

There's a couple of ways of looking at that. One is one of the few enlightening things I gleaned from reading Atlas Shrugged as a young man: that sometimes laws are passed not to actually be obeyed, but so the gov't has leverage on you when you want an exception. "hey uh, you want that variance you should donate to the right campaign...". But sometimes it's just that they want you do create greenspace but can't force you without said leverage. This is how NYC got all it's "tower in park" development, trading greenspace for more sq footage and height.

The other is that some of our zoning just sucks. As MDM has stated recently in one of these threads, the R-1 that overlays most of JC is awful, probably passed at the behest of people like Yvonne who believe JC should look like a suburb rather than a city. It only allows a 35' high unattached 2 family house, even if the lot is in a block of 4 story rowhouses. Is the person who wants to build one just like the house next door just being greedy?

Posted on: 2014/6/26 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Which they always do, since more units mean more money.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
We don't have a right to develop as we don't have a right to drive a car - You need a permit and a licence!

Actually, you're wrong. "As of right" means you are staying within your zoning and do not have to get any variance to build on your property, and you cannot be denied a permit. Horsetrading only happens when the developer wants a variance or an abatement.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I'm pretty sure that this "theory" would be illegal.
A person who owns land can't be forced to pay for public expenses just because they want to exercise their right to develop.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Has anyone officially objected to any planning permits.

I'm a strong believer in 'ratio' developments; in other words any new development that increases the number of people in a given community must contribute to the services and infrastructure to that immediate area.

Simply put - If there is one swing in a playground and the population increases due to development, then the developer needs to install or help fund a second or third swing in the park.

The 'ratio' theory can apply to sewers, water supply infrastructure, road maintenance, etc. Even the ratio of police to a district needs updating with population growth.

If you look at your local swimming pool, it hasn't changed, yet with developments that increased population has and the pool becomes over-run.

Every development should contribute to a citywide fund - 'x' amount per room they create and this should apply to those private dwellings that increase or provide for a 2nd family.

Also has anyone objected to the permit and requested the developer to instal a repeater station to improve TV reception?

We don't have a right to develop as we don't have a right to drive a car - You need a permit and a licence!

Since we live in a user-pays society, tapping into existing services, infrastructure and resources should be accompanied with a fee to help pay for the extra need and demand ... remember its only a thought and the fee would take into consideration on the taxes it would generate for the city.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 22:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
...and overall property taxes have risen 80%+ in the same period.

The argument over abatements solves nothing for most taxpayers. Even if overnight we converted every abated property to full value, that would likely only reduce people's tax bills by 10-15% - if that. More likely the schools and county would find a way to simply pocket the extra cash.

Yes - let's continue to question abatements, and make sure they're being allocated sensibly. But if you really want to help JC residents, you should be pushing for the reval to happen. Perhaps the slogan should be:

"It's not about abatements, it's about the reval, stupid!".

Posted on: 2014/6/26 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
But does any of the money goes to the Board of Ed? The Board of Ed taxes have risen 40% since 2005.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Plenty of parking at Newport mall a short block away, and the state pays for public schools. I don't see the problem.

I guess you have an abatement to say the state pays for the public schools, the state pays the lions share but the average homeowner pays between $2,000 to $3,000 a year. That is real money.

Yvonne I pay close to $20k in property taxes which is a damn sight more than you ever paid.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Plenty of parking at Newport mall a short block away, and the state pays for public schools. I don't see the problem.

I guess you have an abatement to say the state pays for the public schools, the state pays the lions share but the average homeowner pays between $2,000 to $3,000 a year. That is real money.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The only thing the City might need at some point is a pumping station at the north end of downtown - if there isn't one already. Think they sorted out a lot of the sewer lines last year around HP.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Hamilton Park folks spoke for over an hour at the council meeting but this administration is ignoring them. Fulop and team got in due to the downtown vote, so why is he turning his back on them? He did the same thing with Van Vorst Park and the micro units.

Perhaps because he knows it's only the hysterical squeaky wheels like you talking, not the general population. Most of us don't have the idea that our city needs to be frozen in time with nothing ever changing. .

Mostly this. I live in HP and know most of the people active in the neighborhood groups. The majority I spoke with were neutral or for, the people who were against were fuming mad about it and got super upset if you disagreed. As is the case with just about every issue the people who are angry are much more likely to show up and complain. That doesn't make them the majority.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/26 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

murican wrote:
look at the massive waterfront and downtown developments with their ever rising rents which do not cater to the present population of Jersey City.

I didn't realize the goal of all development was to cater to the current population. I agree that leaving planning to developers is a bad idea, but that does not mean no dense development and a static city. We'll end up like San Francisco where rigid development controls have left the housing stock stagnant and led to skyrocketing prices and rents. Nor can ease of street parking be the ultimate arbiter of development, are we a suburb?

Read more about New Urbanism and Transit Oriented Development.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
LeFrak never asked for an abatement in the beginning. The abatement happened when Mayor Cucci asked for affordable housing so 270 units became affordable out of 1500 in the 1980s. LeFrak placed ads in the New York Post advertising those affordable units. It benefitted NYC residents but JC residents were stuck with the tax bill of educating those NYC children at our local schools. Affordable housing does not help struggling homeowners who pay taxes. It actually makes their tax burden worse. Over 2,200 property owners went into lien. In my opinion, we need affordable taxes which creates affordable housing as a by-product.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I beg to differ Brewster, many of us have attended HPNA and meetings sponsored by Candace Osborne. Ignoring the problems engendered by a lack of parking and affordable housing in these massive luxury housing projects in the planning stages only means that we residents will have to deal with the repercussions long after this administration has moved on.

The lack of urban planning in Jersey City is abominable, and the tradition of leaving it to the developers to decide the future of the city simply and quite obviously doesn't work
(look at the massive waterfront and downtown developments with their ever rising rents which do not cater to the present population of Jersey City). It seems the last development to include onsite affordable housing was Newport in the 1980's.

Didn't our mayor, when he was a councilperson, decry Healy for the enormous amount of luxury housing being approved and built (with abatements) when the amount of affordable housing was infinitesimally small?

Even NYC is reacting and trying to remedy the lack of affordable housing in Manhattan which occurred in the previous administration because, a lack of economic diversity and affordable housing is not good for economic growth.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Hamilton Park folks spoke for over an hour at the council meeting but this administration is ignoring them. Fulop and team got in due to the downtown vote, so why is he turning his back on them? He did the same thing with Van Vorst Park and the micro units.

Perhaps because he knows it's only the hysterical squeaky wheels like you talking, not the general population. Most of us don't have the idea that our city needs to be frozen in time with nothing ever changing. I remember clearly similar hysterics that the construction of the Home Depot would bring the apocalypse. Didn't.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What? Haven't you seen the laundry list posted on doors of reason why this building will end civilization as we know it? My favorite is how these mostly studio units will increase crowding of the schools.

This should not cause a problem. Most of the residents of these luxury apartment buildings do not send their children to public schools plus if they did the charter schools should be able to bear the brunt.

That is what Council President Tom DeGise said when he voted to give Newport abatements, he said, "The people living in Newport will not have children and will not use the public schools." We know that is not true.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Perhaps because he knows it's only the hysterical squeaky wheels like you talking, not the general population. Most of us don't have the idea that our city needs to be frozen in time with nothing ever changing. I remember clearly similar hysterics that the construction of the Home Depot would bring the apocalypse. Didn't.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/26 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Not really if it requires significant variances, which all these largish proposed developments do.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pretty sure that this "theory" would be illegal.
A person who owns land can't be forced to pay for public expenses just because they want to exercise their right to develop.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

I'm a strong believer in 'ratio' developments; in other words any new development that increases the number of people in a given community must contribute to the services and infrastructure to that immediate area.

Simply put - If there is one swing in a playground and the population increases due to development, then the developer needs to install or help fund a second or third swing in the park.

The 'ratio' theory can apply to sewers, water supply infrastructure, road maintenance, etc. Even the ratio of police to a district needs updating with population growth.

If you look at your local swimming pool, it hasn't changed, yet with developments that increased population has and the pool becomes over-run.

Every development should contribute to a citywide fund - 'x' amount per room they create and this should apply to those private dwellings that increase or provide for a 2nd family.

Also has anyone objected to the permit and requested the developer to instal a repeater station to improve TV reception?

Posted on: 2014/6/26 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What? Haven't you seen the laundry list posted on doors of reason why this building will end civilization as we know it? My favorite is how these mostly studio units will increase crowding of the schools.

This should not cause a problem. Most of the residents of these luxury apartment buildings do not send their children to public schools plus if they did the charter schools should be able to bear the brunt.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 14:15
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/25 22:00
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote
This is the sort of spot where a developer should get upzoning (assuming the community gets something back and they are supposed to with a park and some traffic work, I think). It's right on Marin, there is already a tall building in the adjacent lot and the .5 spaces for unit is more parking than most apartment buildings in the area are using.

I could see limiting it to 140 ft (the same as the senior center), but even that I don't mind much.

We should be singing the praises of any (non-income-restricted) new development where the residents actually send their children to the public schools!

Posted on: 2014/6/25 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
This is the sort of spot where a developer should get upzoning (assuming the community gets something back and they are supposed to with a park and some traffic work, I think). It's right on Marin, there is already a tall building in the adjacent lot and the .5 spaces for unit is more parking than most apartment buildings in the area are using.

I could see limiting it to 140 ft (the same as the senior center), but even that I don't mind much.

Any idea what we are supposed to get back? I would be interested to know. Did they get any abatement?

My main concern with up-zoning is the precedent it will set - I think the existing zoning guidelines should be enforced.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moobycow wrote

Posted on: 2014/6/25 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:

KRE has proposed a 190 ft 400 unit rental building on 9th & Marin.

The area is zoned for 66 units an acre, 140 ft, .5 parking spaces per unit
The developer is asking for 300 units an acre, 190 ft, .5 parking spaces per unit (zip cars count as 5 parking spaces)

This is a 2nd reading where anyone from the public can speak on the topic once the topic is called.

When: Wednesday June 25
Time: 6pm
Where: City Council Chambers 280 Grove Street

Posted on: 2014/6/25 17:31

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017