Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 18 charged in Jersey City-based credit card fraud ring that stole $200 million
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

2 N.J. men sentenced in $200M credit card fraud scheme

By Spencer Kent | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 27, 2017 at 5:36 PM

TRENTON -- Two owners of a Jersey City jewelry store were sentenced Monday in a $200 million international credit card fraud scheme -- one of the largest ever charged by federal authorities, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey.

Vijay Verma, 49, and Tarsem Lal, 78, both of Iselin, were sentenced to 14 months in prison and a year of house arrest, respectively, after previously pleading guilty to their roles in the scheme, the statement said.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf ... _in_200m_internation.html

Posted on: 2017/3/28 4:02

Re: 18 charged in Jersey City-based credit card fraud ring that stole $200 million
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
$200 million divide by 18 = about 1.1 million each with some having to repay $400,000 leaving 700,000 each at the cost of 2 years prison or home detention

That's 350,000 a year to sit in prison .... where do I sign up!

Imagine how much more impressed you would be if you had done the math correctly: it is 19 people (not 18) and since the total amount scammed was 200 MM, the per person share would 10.5 MM, not 1.1 MM. And, he only has to repay 400K, which means he gets to enjoy the other 10 MM. That's 5 MM per year to sit in prison (or, at home) which is a GREAT deal. As you said, where do I sign up??

Where does it say that each culprit had to pay $400K? The article only says this dude had to pay $400K. Not event that "some had to pay 400K". I also doubt they divided the pie evenly.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
$200 million divide by 18 = about 1.1 million each with some having to repay $400,000 leaving 700,000 each at the cost of 2 years prison or home detention

Imagine how much more impressed you would be if you had done the math correctly: it is 19 people (not 18) and since the total amount scammed was 200 MM, the per person share would 10.5 MM, not 1.1 MM. And, he only has to repay 400K, which means he gets to enjoy the other 10 MM. That's 5 MM per year to sit in prison (or, at home) which is a GREAT deal. As you said, where do I sign up??

Posted on: 2016/12/1 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Probably flipped and cut a deal.... I would not be surprised if they were laundering money for some terror groups.

Very light sentence and for this to get settled this number of years later? Does not sound like it was a jury trial.

Then of course the original AP Trenton story may have been butchered by Wash Times to fit in a small part of printed paper.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2016/12/1 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/11/30 23:07
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jewelry store owner sentenced for role in fake ID scam

THE WASHINGTON TIMES - - Associated Press - Wednesday, November 30, 2016

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - A New Jersey jewelry store owner who helped create thousands of fake identities as part of a $200 million credit card scheme has been sentenced to two years in prison.

Vinod Dadlani was sentenced on Wednesday after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit bank fraud in June 2014. He is one of 19 people to admit their roles in the scheme.

Prosecutors say Dadlani let conspirators involved in the plot to swipe cards that didn’t belong to them at his Jersey City store. He then split the proceeds of the transaction.

Dadlani was also sentenced to two years of supervised release and ordered to forfeit more than $400,000.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2 ... ced-for-role-in-fake-id-/

Posted on: 2016/11/30 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Leader of $200M credit card fraud scheme sentenced

By Tim Darragh | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on January 07, 2016 at 4:47 PM

TRENTON — The defendants allegedly wired millions of dollars to Pakistan, India, the United Arab Emirates, China and other countries once the "sophisticated, organized" $200 million credit card scheme began, authorities say.

At least 22 men and women living in the New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania region — many having ethnic ties to Pakistan — allegedly conspired to defraud banks and credit lenders for more than nine years in what U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman has called one of the largest credit card frauds ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.

The conspirators allegedly used 7,000 fake identities, 1,800 phony mailing addresses, fake companies, collusive merchants, and 25,000 fraudulent credit cards, according to authorities, all in an effort to help "pump up" credit lines based on false information, before "running up" large loans that were not repaid.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013 ... html#incart_article_small

Every week my mail brings a stack of - unsolicited! - offers for credit cards. Someone told me somewhere along the line to shred the application portion, to reduce the chance of identity fraud, but I can't help but wonder - should the FBI be going after the card issuing banks as well? It seems to me the banks are only aggravating the situation, and the potential for fraud and misuse to burden the rest of us, in their headlong rush to get more credit cards into more people's hands. Not to imply they are complicit, but they aren't making the situation more manageable.

Posted on: 2016/1/9 16:38

Re: Hide, The FBI is on Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Nice post anonymous_abc0123. Sounds like it was YOUR store which was involved espicially since this was your first & only post!

Here is something that makes you go Hmmmm?..

?Fishman said Ashu Jewels, Tanishq Jewels and Raja Jewels, all on the same block of Newark Avenue in Jersey City, participated in the ring. All three jewelry stores have been closed by federal authorities and a large amount of inventory has been seized. In April 2011, feds and Jersey City police raided the stores.?

And it just so happens that anonymous_abc0123?s profile reads?..

User Profile ? User profile
anonymous_abc0123
Member Since 2011/4/7 11:13 Comments/Posts 1
Rank
Last Login 2011/4/7 11:16

Posted on: 2016/1/9 14:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Gitmo still open?

Posted on: 2016/1/8 18:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Mostly muslim names. Must be the will of Allah.

Anyways I had my credit card number stolen four times last year and I even remember posting something about on this forum.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Leader of $200M credit card fraud scheme sentenced

By Tim Darragh | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on January 07, 2016 at 4:47 PM

TRENTON — The defendants allegedly wired millions of dollars to Pakistan, India, the United Arab Emirates, China and other countries once the "sophisticated, organized" $200 million credit card scheme began, authorities say.

At least 22 men and women living in the New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania region — many having ethnic ties to Pakistan — allegedly conspired to defraud banks and credit lenders for more than nine years in what U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman has called one of the largest credit card frauds ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.

The conspirators allegedly used 7,000 fake identities, 1,800 phony mailing addresses, fake companies, collusive merchants, and 25,000 fraudulent credit cards, according to authorities, all in an effort to help "pump up" credit lines based on false information, before "running up" large loans that were not repaid.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013 ... html#incart_article_small

Posted on: 2016/1/7 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

A few more steps an you to can join the tin foil hat brigade.

Quote:
What I find interesting is that a 'newbie' has posted on this thread, that might suggest they are very close to those involved - I wonder if an IP address check would show who this person is ? Maybe the FBI would like to speak to them too ?

Posted on: 2014/6/19 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymous_abc0123 wrote:
FIRST OF ALL YOU SHOULDNT ASSUME THINGS BECAUSE OF AN ARTICLE. IT WAS AN INQUIRY REGARDING AN INVESTIGATION. AND IF YOU READ THE ARTICLE CORRECTLY IT SAYS POSSIBLE CREDIT CARD FRAUD. KEY WORD BEING POSSIBLE. IT WAS JUST A SEARCH. IF THEY HAD ACTUALLY DONE SOMETHING WRONG THEIR BUSINESSES WOULD BE SHUT DOWN FOR GOOD AND THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ARRESTED AND THAT DIDNT HAPPEN. IF YOU ARE SO CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED, WALK INTO ONE OF THOSE STORES AND ASK THEM. STOP ASSUMING THINGS AND RUINING REPUTATIONS OF THESE STORES AND PEOPLE WHO HAVE WORKED HARD FOR YEARS. KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT WITHOUT KNOWING ALL OF THE FACTS AND THE TRUTH.

Quoted from the newspapers:

The owners of two other jewelry stores on the same block of Newark Avenue were also charged in the conspiracy but the outcome of their prosecutions was not immediately available.

What I find interesting is that a 'newbie' has posted on this thread, that might suggest they are very close to those involved - I wonder if an IP address check would show who this person is ? Maybe the FBI would like to speak to them too ?

Posted on: 2014/6/19 8:01
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymous_abc0123 wrote:
FIRST OF ALL YOU SHOULDNT ASSUME THINGS BECAUSE OF AN ARTICLE. IT WAS AN INQUIRY REGARDING AN INVESTIGATION. AND IF YOU READ THE ARTICLE CORRECTLY IT SAYS POSSIBLE CREDIT CARD FRAUD. KEY WORD BEING POSSIBLE. IT WAS JUST A SEARCH. IF THEY HAD ACTUALLY DONE SOMETHING WRONG THEIR BUSINESSES WOULD BE SHUT DOWN FOR GOOD AND THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ARRESTED AND THAT DIDNT HAPPEN. IF YOU ARE SO CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED, WALK INTO ONE OF THOSE STORES AND ASK THEM. STOP ASSUMING THINGS TRUTH.

Who the F are you shouting at ? Your shouting only makes you look biased and unable to produce any worthwhile arguments in support of your position. If you actually have anything to say, just say it ,don't SCREAM it!

Posted on: 2014/6/19 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymous_abc0123 wrote:
FIRST OF ALL YOU SHOULDNT ASSUME THINGS BECAUSE OF AN ARTICLE. IT WAS AN INQUIRY REGARDING AN INVESTIGATION. AND IF YOU READ THE ARTICLE CORRECTLY IT SAYS POSSIBLE CREDIT CARD FRAUD. KEY WORD BEING POSSIBLE. IT WAS JUST A SEARCH. IF THEY HAD ACTUALLY DONE SOMETHING WRONG THEIR BUSINESSES WOULD BE SHUT DOWN FOR GOOD AND THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ARRESTED AND THAT DIDNT HAPPEN. IF YOU ARE SO CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED, WALK INTO ONE OF THOSE STORES AND ASK THEM. STOP ASSUMING THINGS AND RUINING REPUTATIONS OF THESE STORES AND PEOPLE WHO HAVE WORKED HARD FOR YEARS. KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT WITHOUT KNOWING ALL OF THE FACTS AND THE TRUTH.

If it was an inquiry and not an investigation, what was with all the police tape around the stores?

Also, by posting for the first time ALL IN CAPS, you just gave enough rope to hang yourself, or whoever you're defending. GUILTY!

Posted on: 2014/6/19 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City jewelry store owner pleads guilty to his role in $200 million fraud

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
June 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM

The owner of a Jersey City jewelry store pleaded guilty today to his role in a sophisticated international credit card fraud ring responsible for more than $200 million in losses to businesses and financial institutions, officials said.

Vinod Dadlani, 51, of Lyndhurst, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit bank fraud before U.S. District Judge Anne E. Thompson in Trenton today and he faces a maximum potential penalty of 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine, or twice the gain or loss caused by the offense, New Jersey U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman announced.

Fishman said Dadlani, who owned Tanishq Jewels on Newark Avenue, is the 17th person to plead guilty to participating in the scheme, which was one of the largest credit card fraud schemes ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.

The scheme involved the creation of more than 7,000 false identities by creating fraudulent identification documents and fraudulent credit profiles with major credit bureaus. Participants would then ?pump up? the credit of the fake identities using false credit worthiness information and would then borrow or spend as much as they could and never repay the debts, according to court documents and statements made in court.

The elaborate network of false identities used by the conspirators required them to maintain more than 1,800 ?drop addresses,? including houses, apartments and post office boxes across the country, which they used as the mailing addresses for the false identities, according to court documents and statements in court.

In court, Dadlani admitted working with other conspirators who came to his jewelry store and allowed them to swipe cards he knew did not legitimately belong to them. Dadlani would then split the proceeds of the phony transactions with the conspirators, according to court documents and statements made in court.

The owners of two other jewelry stores on the same block of Newark Avenue were also charged in the conspiracy but the outcome of their prosecutions was not immediately available.

Dadlani is scheduled for sentencing by Thompson on Sept. 24

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... n_fraud.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/6/19 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Okay let me correct myself. If they are not citizens, they should be deported back to India or Pakistan, wherever they are from (the star ledger said that majority are from Pakistan.)

This is the link to the FBI site where they have published the names.
http://www.fbi.gov/newark/press-relea ... on-credit-card-fraud-scam" rel="noopener external" title="">FBI link

Posted on: 2013/2/6 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
Not just prison, but they should be deported back to Pakistan after that!

Really hoodie boy, you have to be like that. You know nothing about their immigration status let alone if some were born here...etc....

And if you read the report about half the accused have Indian not Pakistani names.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 5:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Not just prison, but they should be deported back to Pakistan after that!

Posted on: 2013/2/6 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Fraud such as this is one reason credit cards charge high rates of interest...

I hope they throw the book at these buffoons...

Posted on: 2013/2/6 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Please do not type in ALL CAPS. It's the equivalent of shouting and very impolite. Also makes it very hard to read.

Thank You

Quote:

anonymous_abc0123 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/5 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Its now being called the "Biggest Credit Card Fraud Case in U.S. History"! Here is the F.B.I. website link:http://www.fbi.gov/newark/press-relea ... on-credit-card-fraud-scam

Where you can find such GEMS ( see what I did there?) as this quote:...."Records of the New York and New Jersey Departments of Labor reveal that many of the defendants have no reported legitimate employment in the last five years. Nonetheless, the defendants used the proceeds of the criminal enterprise to buy luxury automobiles, electronics, spa treatments, expensive clothing, and millions of dollars in gold. They also stockpiled large sums of cash. Law enforcement discovered approximately $70,000 in cash in the oven of one defendant.".....

Posted on: 2013/2/5 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
18 charged in Jersey City-based credit card fraud ring that stole $200 million: feds

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
February 05, 2013 at 12:55 PM

NEWARK -- A sophisticated international credit card fraud ring based in Jersey City stole more than $200 million, federal authorities said today in announcing the arrest of 18 people, who face up to 30 years in prison.

"This type of fraud increases the cost of doing business for every American consumer, every day," United State Attorney for New Jersey Paul Fishman said of the allegations that resulted in the arrest of Nasreen Aktar, 37, of Jersey City, and 17 others. Fishman announced the unsealing of the indictment at a news conference in Newark this morning.

The scheme spanned 28 states and eight countries, officials said, adding that the investigation is ongoing and more arrests are possible. When asked if the ring was headquartered in Jersey City, Fishman said "I think that's fair to say."

Fishman said Ashu Jewels, Tanishq Jewels and Raja Jewels, all on the same block of Newark Avenue in Jersey City, participated in the ring. All three jewelry stores have been closed by federal authorities and a large amount of inventory has been seized. In April 2011, feds and Jersey City police raided the stores.

The ring allegedly made 25,000 fake credit cards by using roughly 7,000 false identities and hundreds of fake drivers' licenses to open the accounts. The ring would then build up the credit rating and the borrowing limit of the cardholder by using various fraudulent methods before maxing out the cards and leaving the credit card companies with the unpaid balances.

There were 13 arrests made and search warrants were executed today, Fishman said, adding that four defendants were arrested previously and three of those have already pleaded guilty.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty-base.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/2/5 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
FBI's search of three jewelry stores in Jersey City's India Square section said to be a part of investigation related to money-laundering and fraud, but officials aren't commenting and no arrests have been reported

Friday, April 08, 2011
By TERRENCE T. McDONALD
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A day after the FBI conducted a search of three India Square jewelry stores, only one of the shops was open for business yesterday.

The search, which a source says was part of an investigation of a credit-card fraud and money-laundering scam, had India Square a-buzz Wednesday with speculation that was little resolved a day later.

Ashu Jewelers and Raja Jewelers remained closed and the owner of Nikita's Inc. was mum.

Dozens of FBI agents and Jersey City Police Department officers descended on India Square Wednesday afternoon to search the three businesses, setting up operations in the neighborhood until about 9 p.m., according to a witness.

The FBI said little about the operation other than to say they executed a search warrant.

Wallace Zynchenko, 52, owns the three-story apartment building that is also home, on the ground floor, to Raja Jewelers. Zynchenko said he hasn't heard from the store's owner since before the FBI's raid.

Zynchenko said the FBI told him they searched the three jewelry stores for an investigation "about money laundering." Agents told him the owner of Raja Jewelers was not under arrest, he said.

Zynchenko is worried about what may happen because of the federal investigation. He relies on Raja Jewelers for income, he said.

"I live month-to-month. His rent pays my mortgage," he said.

A woman who works at Nikita's Inc. said the owner was not available for comment.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GrovePath wrote:
View Larger Map
What the FBI should really be investigating is that truck in the last streetview! What the?!?!

Posted on: 2011/4/8 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Nice post anonymous_abc0123. Sounds like it was YOUR store which was involved espicially since this was your first & only post!

Posted on: 2011/4/8 14:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, cause you know, the FBI loves to waste it's time on harassing innocent people.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 15:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/7 15:16
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/7 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map The article lists -- Ashu Jewelers, 814 Newark Ave.; Raja Jewelers, 820 Newark Ave.; and Nikita's Inc., at the corner of Newark and Liberty avenues in Journal Square (India Square/ Little India) We wandered through one of these Indian Gold Jewelry stores after eating at Dosa Hut -- is it a matter of these stores knowingly selling gold at high prices to people with fake credit cards? How would they hope to get away with that? Wouldn't credit card companies start to wonder if they keep getting fake charges from Ashu, Raja and Nikita's Jewelers of Newark Avenue in Jersey City?
View Larger Map
View Larger Map
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2011/4/7 14:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Just reading the names of the stores involved says it all.

Its amazing how any tom, dick, and Raj can open up for bussiness with little to no scrutiny.....

My question is how many more of these shops still allowed to operate out there?????

Posted on: 2011/4/7 14:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017