Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Jersey City councilman wants to pull the plug on red-light cameras
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite is that the people the stop for pedestrians signs are actually stop signs AT EVERY CORNER NO MATTER IF THERE ARE NO PEOPLE FOR BLOCKS. If you are one of these people please wake up.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I wish they would eliminate the 2-way stop signs all over Downtown it is confusing people. And while they are at it get rid of those pedestrain stop signs in the middle of the intersections they are distracting.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 11:57
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
Great! Thanks everyone for the links. I wasn't coming up with anything in my search online.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
very interesting, bodhipooh. I understand that the plane rule varies from state to state. Can you point me to something that shows that this is the rule in NJ? Thanks!

The link provided by bricks explains it perfectly.

I will also add a little side story based on personal experience: if you find yourself at a red light where a "right on red" is allowed, make sure to make a FULL STOP for at least three seconds. I got ticketed for that in Newark. I went to court to fight it (you can see the brake lights come on in the video) but apparently I failed to stop long enough and that was that. I paid the fine and learned my lesson. I now make full, complete stops and wait at least 5 seconds before proceeding. It drives people insane in JC (I have had MANY cars get on my ass and lay on their horns) but I always get the last laugh when I see the flashes go off as they tailgate me through the turn.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 10:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
It is explained on the JCPD's website: http://www.njjcpd.org/node/7

Posted on: 2014/6/17 9:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/17 7:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I think the sensor is activated when you pass the crosswalk if you were already at the intersection before it turned red you might be fine, but if i'm wrong you might be fined.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dri ... ces/red-light-camera2.htm

Posted on: 2014/6/17 3:08
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
very interesting, bodhipooh. I understand that the plane rule varies from state to state. Can you point me to something that shows that this is the rule in NJ? Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/6/17 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I am often surprised by people's doubt about this type of situation. If you have "broken the plane" (as marked/delineated by the solid white line at the BEGINNING of the intersection on your side of the road) you are NOT going to be ticketed. Once you have "broken the plane" (as defined by an imaginary plane projecting straight up from the white line at the intersection) you are *supposed* to complete the turn so you don't impede traffic.

If the situation is as you described, you will NOT get a ticket.

If you are ticketed, the consequences are nil. As it was explained to me by a cop, you should think of it as a parking ticket: the fee is about the same, and the consequences are the same (i.e., none).

Posted on: 2014/6/17 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
I made a bad choice to enter an intersection (Kennedy/Montgomery) on a yellow light this afternoon, and the light immediately turned red. I admit it...I deserve a ticket, so I'm not here to be like 'feel sorry for me.' (if you want to feel sorry for me, consider that I started my day with a flat tire on I-80 at 6 am, so the ticket is not actually the low point of today either financially or emotionally LOL).

I will not be surprised when a ticket shows up in the mail. I am here to try to understand the consequences associated with a red light camera. Is it zero points and $85? My understanding is that it still can impact my insurance, right?

Thanks for any insight! :)

I did the same thing as you at the same intersection back in April and have yet to receive a ticket. Maybe you won't get one?

Posted on: 2014/6/17 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
I made a bad choice to enter an intersection (Kennedy/Montgomery) on a yellow light this afternoon, and the light immediately turned red. I admit it...I deserve a ticket, so I'm not here to be like 'feel sorry for me.' (if you want to feel sorry for me, consider that I started my day with a flat tire on I-80 at 6 am, so the ticket is not actually the low point of today either financially or emotionally LOL).

I will not be surprised when a ticket shows up in the mail. I am here to try to understand the consequences associated with a red light camera. Is it zero points and $85? My understanding is that it still can impact my insurance, right?

No points or insurance. It's like a parking ticket, issued to the owner of the car. And IF you were already in the intersection when it went red you're unlikely to get a ticket.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
hands off red light cameras

Posted on: 2014/6/16 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/16 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
It's not the first time fines in the form of tickets were invented to pad government coffers, why is this one such a big deal?

If you don't want to pay a fine, don't beat the red light. It's not about education either, it's about responsibility. Even kids know that red means stop.

If you don't want bigger government, don't give them a reason to be. Be more responsible.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I surmise that some people just hate to be caught when they believe no-one is looking. Some people like the idea of avoiding accountability for their actions - I love and want more speed, red light and stop sign cameras.

Drivers would be less likely to exhibit poor habits if they weren?t poor drivers to begin with. Red-light cameras address only one single problem, and at that, only after it exists. Meanwhile, the virtual absence of standardized training and the ridiculous ease of obtaining and holding a license insures that many problem drivers will be on the road from the start.

Unfortunately, while politicians are the only ones who can actually do something about it, they can?t afford to challenge the status quo. Not only would it directly result in a loss of votes, they would also lose support from the automotive and petroleum sectors, and many other businesses associated with it. After all, implementing a higher standard for drivers would probably have the short-term effect of curtailing automobile sales and gasoline consumption. It would also reduce peoples? ability to commute to work, and basically result in less spending all around. It might actually be noticeably bad for the economy.

Over the long term however, I suspect the net benefit would be entirely positive, but politicians usually aren?t keen on long-term solutions in part because they are unable to reap the benefits when they finally kick in.

On the other hand, red-light cameras are an ideal quick fix. Not only do they create the illusion of improving driver habits, they?re cash cows with impressively short payback periods. Let?s not kid ourselves: If road safety was more important than money to our politicians and lawmakers, there are other problems they would have tackled first.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I surmise that some people just hate to be caught when they believe no-one is looking. Some people like the idea of avoiding accountability for their actions - I love and want more speed, red light and stop sign cameras. We already have google earth and other GIS technology to look into everyone backyard, but we never complain about that, or the fact you are trackable via your cell phone!
Maybe some people need to stay in a private setting and out of the public domain!

But we did complain because Google Earth now blocks out license plates and faces.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 11:02
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Just by the mere fact that red light cameras is being debated is good enough for me and that certain intersections are on the public conscience / radar is great.

I love the responses as it highlights how we are now, as motorist, more focused and less likely to run a red light when it hits our hip pocket if we do.

I bet most jclisters can pin point every red light camera in our city.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 5:39
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Or the cameras were placed at the more dangerous spots and the fear of them is curbing bad behavior all over.

Fair point about curbing bad behavior.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The camera is an independent mechanism that takes a photo void of any bias.

That?s exactly the problem. In a free country, as opposed to a police-state, there is a natural, built-in tolerance for transgressions against the law, for better or worse. Automated, ever-present observation by law enforcement, devoid of bias, is a potentially dangerous step away from the beauty of freedom.

I surmise that some people just hate to be caught when they believe no-one is looking. Some people like the idea of avoiding accountability for their actions - I love and want more speed, red light and stop sign cameras. We already have google earth and other GIS technology to look into everyone backyard, but we never complain about that, or the fact you are trackable via your cell phone!

Maybe some people need to stay in a private setting and out of the public domain!

Posted on: 2014/4/1 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Or the cameras were placed at the more dangerous spots and the fear of them is curbing bad behavior all over.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Far from conclusive:
- 27% reduction with cameras
- 45% reduction without cameras.

On this, I'd say the experiment is failing.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

"I think the people of New Jersey are good, and they want to do the right thing.' I'd like to invite this man to Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Officials say no more red-light cameras in Pohatcong

POHATCONG ? State Sen. Michael Doherty, Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon of the 13th Legislative District and Pohatcong Township Mayor James Kern III announced today that the township hopes to end its red-light camera program once its contract expires in 18 months.

Pohatcong Township began the program in 2011 at the intersections of Routes 22 and 122 and Routes 22 and 519, but since its inception has seen many changes and criticism state-wide.

"I've been relatively silent on the subject of red light cameras," Kern said of the start of his term as mayor. "I put out the initial action on referendum as soon as possible ... after reviewing the total data I am not comfortable with what I've seen. I have not seen a drastic change in driver behavior."

Calling it a wash regarding safety, Kern said that the problem with the intersections regarding accidents "from day one has not been the drivers but the intersections themselves."

He also stated that the controversy with cameras resulted in increased requests for open public records and increased workload for the small municipal staff.

Unable to immediately terminate the township's contract with American Traffic Solutions, Kern said he his urging the Legislature to end the program and if a contract comes before him to renew, he will not sign it.

"This is a very positive step for motorists of New Jersey, and I do commend the mayor," said O'Scanlon. "His decision to reject these cameras ... is a sound one. Every single objective study of this equipment demonstrates that it does not improve safety."

As the state approaches the end of the five-year red-light camera pilot program officials are discussing whether the program is helpful or hazardous.

The program ends on Dec. 16 and if it is not reinstated by the state, any existing contracts would be terminated, which would come at a great loss of funding.

After halting the lights at the intersection of Routes 22 and 122, the township still earns roughly $1.5 million with cameras at the intersection of Routes 22 and 519.

"I think the people of New Jersey are good, and they want to do the right thing," Doherty said. "This was never about safety; it was another way of garnering revenue."

At $85 a citation, the municipal portion of the fine is $56.50 after the state collects $11.50 and American Traffic Solutions takes out a $17 fee.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/inde ... say_no_more_red-ligh.html

Posted on: 2014/4/1 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So it appears that the answer is yes, the cameras are effective. Thanks for the data.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 11:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/31 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What are the facts? Have they reduced accidents in JC since installation?

Posted on: 2014/3/28 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I think many of the people here calling for more cameras simply don't drive much or at all. And they are hypocrites, because if the city was able to track their violations, they would be against it.

How would you feel if the city constructed jaywalking cameras that used facial recognition technology to mail $90 tickets to everyone who jaywalked? I bet you'd see a lot less support from the people currently on their high horses.

Walking - yes, you heard right, not everyone drives 2 blocks... - to the 2nd Street Light Rail I was approaching the cross-walk to the station, where the cars line up at the base of Patterson Plank Road. One driver edged around the parked cars, and blew right through the red light.

WTF is wrong with you drivers?! Irrespective of Mr. Boggiano's privacy concerns - and I don't disagree, and Yvonne's valid criticism of this being more of a revenue issue - you will NEVER have enough boots on the ground to deal with all the bad drivers in this city.

Pretty sure the station is in Hoboken...but even still, there should be cops at places like that regularly considering the active danger especially with "incidents" on the HBLR. That's actually a great example of where you need people not cameras.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Irrespective of Mr. Boggiano's privacy concerns - and I don't disagree, and Yvonne's valid criticism of this being more of a revenue issue - you will NEVER have enough boots on the ground to deal with all the bad drivers in this city.

That?s true, but the government of a free country should never employ enough ?boots on the ground? to address every wrongdoing.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I think many of the people here calling for more cameras simply don't drive much or at all. And they are hypocrites, because if the city was able to track their violations, they would be against it.

How would you feel if the city constructed jaywalking cameras that used facial recognition technology to mail $90 tickets to everyone who jaywalked? I bet you'd see a lot less support from the people currently on their high horses.

Walking - yes, you heard right, not everyone drives 2 blocks... - to the 2nd Street Light Rail I was approaching the cross-walk to the station, where the cars line up at the base of Patterson Plank Road. One driver edged around the parked cars, and blew right through the red light.

WTF is wrong with you drivers?! Irrespective of Mr. Boggiano's privacy concerns - and I don't disagree, and Yvonne's valid criticism of this being more of a revenue issue - you will NEVER have enough boots on the ground to deal with all the bad drivers in this city.

"You drivers?" I drive and I am extremely safe and courteous. Boggiano sounds like one of those people who wants to pull stunts like you describe and then flash his credentials if pulled over. Remember, the camera doesn't lie.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/28 14:17

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017