Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: what's the status of White Eagle Hall?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Do we know for sure if it's still an active construction site? I haven't seen any press, Facebook updates, website updates for maybe a year or so...

Posted on: 2016/1/7 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Anybody seen any construction going on at White Eagle Hall? Who wants to place bets on what opens first, Monty's Bar or White Eagle Hall?

I was going to revive this thread a few days ago with the obligatory "is there an update?" post but held off. A true shame all the way around... It will be at least two years behind schedule by the time it opens. I hope they make it on time for the Summer season.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody seen any construction going on at White Eagle Hall? Who wants to place bets on what opens first, Monty's Bar or White Eagle Hall?

Posted on: 2016/1/7 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Time for the quarterly bump of this thread. Anyone have any new info?

A huge LOL at this. The opening is now delayed by over 18 months. First it was Spring 2014, which TQ deemed as "always unrealistic", but we were told surely by Summer... of 2014. Then it was November 2014, then maybe Spring 2015. It's November, and given the impending arrival of Winter, why not just assume Spring 2016 (at the EARLIEST!) and hope a miracle takes place?

Posted on: 2015/11/5 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Time for the quarterly bump of this thread. Anyone have any new info?

Posted on: 2015/11/5 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I've been inside fairly recently, the most complicated stuff is done, and the restaurants downstairs are looking pretty good. It's a really interesting space because they've preserved a lot of the unique historical aspects, including the flooring, the balcony, the brickwork, and the awesome stained glass. But it's also got some cool state of the art stuff like the floating floor for sound isolation with the downstairs restaurants, and floating walls to protect the old brick walls. Things are definitely moving along, I'm pretty psyched for the space to open.

I don't know about the timeframe because I don't know how fast construction goes, but things have definitely picked up quickly since the permits were approved and the brutal winter ended.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I know that Mme Claude restaurant is progressing quite well there and they should be the first to open. Hang on people, this is like the pulaski skyway!

Posted on: 2015/8/7 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCTCenter wrote:
Hi everyone,

I think we are all very excited and hopeful about the opening of White Eagle Hall. I assure you, however long it takes, we will open. There are always things in construction that are out of our control, but we are now moving along steadily. I know it must be nerve racking not being able to see all of the work going on inside, but contractors are there every day. Keep in mind, there is an intricate project that needs careful oversight for sound isolation, specialized wiring, specialized sound, a lot of restoration so its a bit more complicated than a usual space.

We are really trying to give White Eagle Hall a 21st century functionality and at the same time preserve as much of the historical elements as we can. In the meanwhile, Merseles Studios have recently re-opened, and we are programing some play readings, shows, gallery openings and other interesting events. I definitely suggest signing up for our mailing list and following us on Facebook for updates on both White Eagle Hall and Merseles Studios!

It's been three months since the last update. Anything to report!? Quickly losing hope here. Any chance you will open before the year is over? Or, are you now shooting for Spring 2016??

Posted on: 2015/8/7 21:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/7 15:07
From Newark Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I think we are all very excited and hopeful about the opening of White Eagle Hall. I assure you, however long it takes, we will open. There are always things in construction that are out of our control, but we are now moving along steadily. I know it must be nerve racking not being able to see all of the work going on inside, but contractors are there every day. Keep in mind, there is an intricate project that needs careful oversight for sound isolation, specialized wiring, specialized sound, a lot of restoration so its a bit more complicated than a usual space.

We are really trying to give White Eagle Hall a 21st century functionality and at the same time preserve as much of the historical elements as we can. In the meanwhile, Merseles Studios have recently re-opened, and we are programing some play readings, shows, gallery openings and other interesting events. I definitely suggest signing up for our mailing list and following us on Facebook for updates on both White Eagle Hall and Merseles Studios!

Posted on: 2015/5/7 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Quite a different story at the Monty Bar near the Grove Path, it looks like it isn't going to make it except if new investors, so sad..

WTF??!??! Why does it have to be so difficult to open a new business in JC??? How many good potential businesses are we going to lose before something is done about the process? Embarrassing.

I think this project tops Atomic Wings for best potential business that was under construction forever and never opened.

I don't think permits were the real problem with Monty's, I think he tried to do it mostly by himself and didn't have the time/ability/cash to pull it off.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
it sure is easy when you bribe the right people

Posted on: 2015/5/7 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Quite a different story at the Monty Bar near the Grove Path, it looks like it isn't going to make it except if new investors, so sad..

WTF??!??! Why does it have to be so difficult to open a new business in JC??? How many good potential businesses are we going to lose before something is done about the process? Embarrassing.

I think this project tops Atomic Wings for best potential business that was under construction forever and never opened.

Technically, Atomic Wings *did* open. It just that it took the owner SO LONG, that by the time he was able to open, he was so far into a debt hole that he couldn't get out. Bon Chon got the best deal ever: a turn key operation already configured for frying chicken.

Of course, here we are bemoaning the obviously broken system that is the Buildings Department, but here is a JCList thread of an NJ Biz article of the Talde guys crowing about how smooth a process it was to open in JC: JCLIST cross post of NJ Biz (bizarre) article.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/7 0:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
They are opening, just delayed. I did a quick walk thru recently and the build out for Madame Claude and the other restaurant (name TBD) was looking good. Main room of venue looked amazing, looking forward to having them in JC!

Posted on: 2015/5/6 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
The folks at Madame Claudes might know, as they are supposed to have a restaurant in it when it's done.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What a joke...

First, it was "hope to open by aspirin" then last Summer it was "things are moving along, and hope to be open by November" and now Summer is fast approaching and nothing. If they miss the Summer season, when touring acts are most active, they might as well concentrate on getting it done by Spring 2016.

If if this due to shenanigans by the Buildings Department, it is a shame and, really, the city should just do something (anything!) to address the issue. If the delays are because of lack of proper planning and execution by the new owners, well... Not very confidence-inspiring. I really hope the project doesn't fall through. It would be great to have a local performance venue like this is supposed to be.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Would be very sad if White Eagle didn't open. Perhaps it's just delayed. Regarding Monty's, Frinjc do you have inside info? A couple of week's ago they posted on Facebook that work would resume very soon. Not sure how accurate that is. Crazy how long it's taking them - it's clearly much longer than Atomic Wings took at this point, right?

Posted on: 2015/5/5 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by the place about a month ago. They had installed new windows, so I guess there are still working on it...

Posted on: 2015/5/5 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
so, should we just box up our hopes for this place, for good?

I mean, weirdly, The NY Times stated in November that the "$3.2 million renovation is nearly complete," yet it doesn't look like any construction activity has occurred for quite some time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/nyr ... ng-as-a-new-colossus.html

Posted on: 2015/5/5 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Any update on White Eagle Hall, regarding an opening date?

Posted on: 2014/9/10 23:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Newark Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
In addition to theatrical performances, will you be showing art house films like Angelika, Landmark Sunshine, IFC center or Roberts Chatham? Feel like that's an essential aspect thats missing from JC nightlife

Yes, actually we will have a screen that comes down on stage so that we will be equipped to show films or hold film festivals if need be. Of course, the showings won't be on a regular schedule as you would have at a theater designated to show movies regularly (such as IFC), but that is a part of what we hope to do every so often.

White Eagle will be a multipurpose space with the ability to accommodate live theater, live music, film, dance, lectures and the like.

We are already being approached by a great number of reputable groups interested in working with us to bring programming as soon as we can get our doors open.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
In addition to theatrical performances, will you be showing art house films like Angelika, Landmark Sunshine, IFC center or Roberts Chatham? Feel like that's an essential aspect thats missing from JC nightlife

Posted on: 2014/6/13 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It is great to hear. I hope that my previous message was seen as conveying frustration at delays experienced with the BD. I wish you very well, and really look forward to your opening as well as Madame Claude's as soon as you complete your endeavor.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 23:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Newark Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Guys,

Thanks for taking an interest. Things are moving along more slowly than we hoped, but steadily. We are excited about bringing a great theater and venue, and we want to do it right. There are a lot of intricate details that have to go in to retro-fitting a 100+ year old building.

The first step was to rip out everything but the walls and the floor, that is gone and done. The guts are now being installed and we hope to have an event as soon as it is safe for the public.

There are a lot of great details that we have to be very careful to preserve such as the original tin ceiling and the gorgeous original stained glass.

We are well under way, and have a huge team of consultants and engineers that are working towards making this happen as soon as possible.

TQ is right. we have been occupying ourselves in the mean time as well with our Art/Performance space at Merseles Studios (339 Newark above Monaco Lock Co.). About one month ago we opened our doors to the public. At Merseles we have a performance space, gallery and 9 artist studios.

If you have questions feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer.

You can find us on facebook if you search "Jersey City Theater Center" or at jctcenter.org.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Every picture tells a story don't it

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/6/11 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Spring was always an unrealistic goal, but it is moving along. They recently got several approvals on their plans, so stuff is happening now and should move pretty quickly.

Also, Merseles Studios is right next door above Monaco Locks and is being done by the same group doing White Eagle Hall. If you're not familiar with Merseles Studios, it's a performance space and gallery. They've also had some music events there, as well as a weekly puppet show for kids. So stuff is definitely afoot.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Technology isn't required, just accountability. Both the State DCA and JC Housing inspectors issue forms with detailed notes of their inspections, no tablets in sight.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was going to be snarky in my reply, but others have said the same, using nicer words. In the end, I do not know of ANY business in JC that has been able to open on their stated date. Without fail, it is always due to "complications" with the Buildings Department inspectors... make what you will out of that. It is a shame that the city allows this to continue. As Frinjc suggests, all inspectors should be forced to use a tablet to issue reports and inspection notes so they can be held accountable. This is pure graft and corruption. You want people and businesses to come here: make palatable and fair and it will happen.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
It's still under construction, I imagine it's delayed for any of the multitude of reasons projects of that scale get delayed (permit issues, unexpected complications/costs, etc.). Same reasons Monty's Public House isn't open yet.

They have events scheduled for November so I presume they expect to at least do a soft opening by then.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I suspect one city inspector came and voiced issues and (costly) remedies that were beyond the scope of the initial project. Most likely this was only voiced and not put in writing. Most likely some of the remedies that were suggested are not actually part of the code but the existing owners/architects don't know it or do not want to brush off city inspectors.

FYI I heard that there will be soon a public meeting addressing the Building Department deficiencies. On my end I think that every inspector should be provided a tablet from which to issue written reports. This would be their final word while making them accountable. Every owner should have to address these points and only these. If these points are shown not to be in the code, inspectors would be subject to penalties and/or retraining. Addressing the points would also complete the inspection regardless of who comes to verify.

We pretend to have a first world city but we have a 3rd word BD.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 0:16

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017