Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Gay In Journal Square?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
regarding your original post:

there is a gay couple across the street from us and a gay guy next door. we are on fairmount btw jfk and west side. i would say no worries on that front.

overall, the neighborhood has been great for us the five years we've been here. the upside is that it's quiet and we have a driveway (we moved from san francisco so parking was important to us). the downside is that there is not much in the way of entertainment. we're hoping that west side ave starts opening some places we would dig at some point. but even if not, it's not a hassle to get to downtown or the city. we're happy here.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I think JC has carried the 'gayborhood' title for a while...

Overall I think it's a good indicator for quality of life in a city - glad to see we continue to rank high on the given scale.

+1 And on top of being friendly to young hetero couples with kids, the middle class, artists, etc. The appeal of a city is it's accessibility to all sorts of people. As a relatively recent arrival (6 years in August!) I'm happy to hear and see all of this.

A nice counterpoint to NYC, which is increasingly only friendly to billionaires.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I come home from the city regularly late at night, and it's a rarity that I don't see a clearly gay couple (or to be hookup off the train) on my way back.

I'm really not familiar with many spots in the area outside of DT and Hoboken, with the exception of small familiarity with the West Side, but I think JC is overall safe no matter your gender, orientation, race, etc and who I see on the street and PATH bears that out as far as I'm concerned.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think JC has carried the 'gayborhood' title for a while...

Overall I think it's a good indicator for quality of life in a city - glad to see we continue to rank high on the given scale.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/ ... endly-city-in-us/9688195/

This is the first rubric that came up when I searched GAY. Given all the young married with children moving in (my observation is limited to dtjc) we must be pretty hetero friendly too. Maybe we are really the Sex Boro and Six was a typo.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 9:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I'm with User on this one. There are gay people all around the city. I don't know if it is easier in one area or another. It really depends on the person. I don't think the gay people around me have much of a problem. If they have, I'm sure they would have moved in the last 10 years.

Heck, I would suggest my area, as it is full of brownstones and professionals, but the distance to the PATH might be a bit too far if someone wants instant access.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 0:02
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]
HKHiggs wrote:
Areas like Monticello St and B-L have been breaking the hearts of speculators and gentrifyers for decades, the lovely blocks look like a sure thing, but I know a number of people who limped away with bloody noses from their investments.

Ha! it's real estate and there is always a risk, no guarantees.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HKHiggs wrote:
I am loving a lot of the Lincoln Park - area homes we're finding in the listings. So gorgeous.

The problem with the stunning housing on a few blocks around Bentley is that the area gets real bad real fast as you go east. I'll probably get slammed for this, but I find the "gradient" between good and bad areas in the Heights isn't as steep nor as deep.

Especially with a family, it isn't all about the best possible upside, it's more about where you want to live. Areas like Monticello St and B-L have been breaking the hearts of speculators and gentrifyers for decades, the lovely blocks look like a sure thing, but I know a number of people who limped away with bloody noses from their investments.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HKHiggs wrote:

Not much crime except for around Franklin, lots of drugs are sold around there. Its gotten better but its still a slight issue. Past that you're fine.[/quote]

Are you referring to Franklin school or Franklin Street?

Thanks![/quote]

Franklin St

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/26 21:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
One benefit (of many) of living on the eastern edge of The Heights and the proximity of good amenities there - restaurants, gyms, transportation... All are within a 15 minute walk... And as many have mentioned - we have two great parks, a growing arts scene, farmers market, etc.

You mentioned children - we have a toddler who does pre-K in the heights and we love it. For school he'll either go to PS 28, or private (catholic) school in Hoboken, or, if we get lucky, he'll get a lottery ticket to a great charter school in Lincoln Park (LCCS).

You also mention commuting to the city - my wife works in Times Square, I work in Chelsea - we can either take buses, jitneys, light rail to the PATH train.... There are tons of options, you just need to test them out and find the best route for you. On a good day, I can be door to door at my office in 40 minutes, my wife, even less. On a bad day, however, it may be well over an hour!
Aside from the over an hour, this all makes me very happy. :)

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MeowMeow wrote:
I've lived in the Lincoln Park area for 7 years and I've never had a problem.
Of the 10 apartments on my floor half of them are occupied by gays and I would say 25% of the people living in my building are gay.
I always tell my partner that the area around Lincoln Park is primed to become a gaybhorhood. I'd open a gay bar if I could.
I've never felt unsafe because I was gay, if you are looking for trouble in JC you will find it. The only problems I?ve had are with the cab drivers who will kick you out of their cab if you "act gay", so I never take cabs in JC.
Check out the Lincoln Park area, tons of huge prewar apartments with great light and no real parking or crime issues.
I am loving a lot of the Lincoln Park - area homes we're finding in the listings. So gorgeous.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I also recommend renting in your target neighborhood before buying. That is what we are planning to do if we jump from downtown to the heights. Even though I've been to the heights dozens of times that's not the same as living there and I don't think I could buy into a neighborhood without the 24/7 knowledge of it first.

It also helps you adjust to cost of living - I don't know what Seattle is like but in Providence RI, where we moved from, groceries were a hell of a lot cheaper. Laundry was cheaper (60 cents/lb wash dry fold, how I miss you). So our day to day expenses went up moving here.

For schools, the heights seems to be a better bet for kids also. Some friends just moved there with a baby and they love being near 2 parks.
We're coming back after 2 years away. Previously we lived in Hell's Kitchen, so we're used to the higher cost of living. Thanks, though. :)

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Several houses in my immediate vicinity in west side with rainbow flags. As far as I know they get no harassment.

Are you on Bentley? I love that block. To the ordinal poster also be sure to check out the JC website there are lots of gems on there for first time home buyers. If you choose areas like JS, GV, and Bl there are grants, for college grads to invest in these areas and lots of tax breaks for us folks who work from home. Also there was a grant I just applied for, but not sure if it's still offered to update the facade of your home.
Will definitely look into that. Thank you!

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
[/quote]

Not much crime except for around Franklin, lots of drugs are sold around there. Its gotten better but its still a slight issue. Past that you're fine.[/quote]

Are you referring to Franklin school or Franklin Street?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Several houses in my immediate vicinity in west side with rainbow flags. As far as I know they get no harassment.

Are you on Bentley? I love that block. To the ordinal poster also be sure to check out the JC website there are lots of gems on there for first time home buyers. If you choose areas like JS, GV, and Bl there are grants, for college grads to invest in these areas and lots of tax breaks for us folks who work from home. Also there was a grant I just applied for, but not sure if it's still offered to update the facade of your home.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
One benefit (of many) of living on the eastern edge of The Heights and the proximity of good amenities there - restaurants, gyms, transportation... All are within a 15 minute walk... And as many have mentioned - we have two great parks, a growing arts scene, farmers market, etc.

You mentioned children - we have a toddler who does pre-K in the heights and we love it. For school he'll either go to PS 28, or private (catholic) school in Hoboken, or, if we get lucky, he'll get a lottery ticket to a great charter school in Lincoln Park (LCCS).

You also mention commuting to the city - my wife works in Times Square, I work in Chelsea - we can either take buses, jitneys, light rail to the PATH train.... There are tons of options, you just need to test them out and find the best route for you. On a good day, I can be door to door at my office in 40 minutes, my wife, even less. On a bad day, however, it may be well over an hour!

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I also recommend renting in your target neighborhood before buying. That is what we are planning to do if we jump from downtown to the heights. Even though I've been to the heights dozens of times that's not the same as living there and I don't think I could buy into a neighborhood without the 24/7 knowledge of it first.

It also helps you adjust to cost of living - I don't know what Seattle is like but in Providence RI, where we moved from, groceries were a hell of a lot cheaper. Laundry was cheaper (60 cents/lb wash dry fold, how I miss you). So our day to day expenses went up moving here.

For schools, the heights seems to be a better bet for kids also. Some friends just moved there with a baby and they love being near 2 parks.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 14:37
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in the Lincoln Park area for 7 years and I've never had a problem.
Of the 10 apartments on my floor half of them are occupied by gays and I would say 25% of the people living in my building are gay.
I always tell my partner that the area around Lincoln Park is primed to become a gaybhorhood. I'd open a gay bar if I could.
I've never felt unsafe because I was gay, if you are looking for trouble in JC you will find it. The only problems I?ve had are with the cab drivers who will kick you out of their cab if you "act gay", so I never take cabs in JC.
Check out the Lincoln Park area, tons of huge prewar apartments with great light and no real parking or crime issues.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 14:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/8 14:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/3 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
They also walk dogs.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
... my father swears they are men. I think they are women. However there is only one way to find out.

They are the Big Hair Girls, And they are Fabulous!
Pearls before Swine!

Posted on: 2014/1/3 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
most of the gays I know don't live dtjc. The gay scene left dtjc in 2007.

What the hell are you talking about? The Great Gay Exodus of 2007?

I remember that day. Buff young men wearing designer tee-shirts saying Manifest Destiny or Go West Young Man packing up their parents' borrowed cars with designer luggage and saying things like "Montclair or Bust" Several Realtors commited suicide. So there was a bright side.

BTW, there are few drag queens downtown than I thought - those very skinny people with the dandelion hairdos are women. Or so I've been told.

That is the million dollar question, my father swears they are men. I think they are women. However there is only one way to find out.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 12:35
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I remember that day. Buff young men wearing designer tee-shirts saying Manifest Destiny or Go West Young Man packing up their parents' borrowed cars with designer luggage and saying things like "Montclair or Bust" Several Realtors commited suicide. So there was a bright side.

BTW, there are few drag queens downtown than I thought - those very skinny people with the dandelion hairdos are women. Or so I've been told.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HKHiggs wrote:
My partner and I are beyond grateful for all the advice. Seriously.

We're seeing a lot of homes we like in the Riverview section of the Heights as someone has pointed out, but also find the gym selection (according to Yelp) to be disappointing. Still, it seems there are some options within a 15 minute walk to Hoboken. I am concerned about walking around late at night in this area, which is something for us to think about as we'll likely be out late in the city once in awhile.

I'll be visiting at the end of the month to check both JS and the Heights out to get a feel for the areas before we contact realtors.

Oh, and though we're bringing our car, we are f*ing stoked to not have to drive it much and plan to keep it parked in our future home's garage/pkng space most of our time.

Thanks again, everyone. Please continue to advise as I plan to check this thread through my visit.

Not much crime except for around Franklin, lots of drugs are sold around there. Its gotten better but its still a slight issue. Past that you're fine.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 10:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I highly suggest checking out the area between McGinley Square and Lincoln Park. Lots of great housing options, including many gorgeous pre war buildings. And the park is fantastic. Tons of bus options on JFK, Bergen, and West Side Ave. About a 15 min walk to JSQ from where I'm at just south of Montgomery. Many diverse neighbors.

This area is definitely in the running. :)

Posted on: 2014/1/3 5:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My partner and I are beyond grateful for all the advice. Seriously.

We're seeing a lot of homes we like in the Riverview section of the Heights as someone has pointed out, but also find the gym selection (according to Yelp) to be disappointing. Still, it seems there are some options within a 15 minute walk to Hoboken. I am concerned about walking around late at night in this area, which is something for us to think about as we'll likely be out late in the city once in awhile.

I'll be visiting at the end of the month to check both JS and the Heights out to get a feel for the areas before we contact realtors.

Oh, and though we're bringing our car, we are f*ing stoked to not have to drive it much and plan to keep it parked in our future home's garage/pkng space most of our time.

Thanks again, everyone. Please continue to advise as I plan to check this thread through my visit.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 4:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
...no gays in dtjc? where'd they all go?

Posted on: 2014/1/3 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Didn't you know they were just following the Great Artist Exodus of 2002? Those gays are so unoriginal...

(There actually was a bit of an artist's exodus from dtjc...)

Posted on: 2014/1/3 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HKHiggs wrote:
Great tips, thank you.

We will definitely be bringing our car from Seattle, so maybe that'll help getting around the area if we choose the Heights (which I'm definitely intrigued about after all the feedback).

I will have lots of meetings in the city, both in Midtown as well as Downtown, so I'm not sure if that still means the Heights is a good option for us.

Also, cliche, I know, but our five year plan is to have a kid in tow and it seems the proximity to Hoboken schools (which look like they fare better than JC schools) also makes the Heights more attractive.

Thanks for the help once again, everyone!

Oh if you're bringing a car the Heights would be a better option. J.sq is ridiculous when it comes to parking, unless you find a place with a driveway/garage.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/3 3:49

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017