Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC to Governors Island
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I recall they had an inaugural week a year or so ago and they had free ferry services up and along the East River. No word on whether they will be repeating that (i doubt it as it was for the launch of the East River route). However, I think one can take the NY Waterway ferry on weekdays from Paulus Hook to Pier 11 and catch the Governor's island ferry there on weekdays only. Otherwise, on weekends, one would have to walk from the ferry terminal over to South Street Seaport Pier 11.

Quote:

heights wrote:
http://www.cityofwaterday.org/
Isn't there an event with free ferry service from the J.C. piers straight to Governor's Island once a year ?

Posted on: 2014/5/29 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
There are several kayakers in this board, so feel free to post your questions. I don't do a whole lot of it, but when I do go out, I usually head into the Hudson, paddle around Liberty Island and come back in. I haven't done a full Hudson crossing, but I will likely do that a couple of times this Summer.

I would add that anyone intending to go across the Hudson should have very good upper body strength (the Hudson can get choppy at times, and the currents can also be very strong) and must be very comfortable being out on the water on what is a very vulnerable craft. Lots of traffic out there, and lots of ass hats boating at high speed, leaving wakes that could flip your kayak if one is not careful. But, it is definitely fun. I go out on a two-person inflatable, and bring my dog with me. He rides in the back and gets a kick out of it.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
There is no ferry into Governor's Island from JC but, if you are so inclined, you could kayak to it. It is just under 2.5 miles if you launch from the south side launch area in LSP (Liberty Island is about halfway there).

NB - If anyone is interested in kayaking to Governor's Island, make sure you get a NYC boat/kayak launch permit. It's cheap ($15) and a requirement to arrive, or depart, from any of the city boat launches.
that's awesome, I always wondered if there were any restrictions on kayaking around. Would be so cool to kayak across the Hudson for a weekend outing.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
There is no ferry into Governor's Island from JC but, if you are so inclined, you could kayak to it. It is just under 2.5 miles if you launch from the south side launch area in LSP (Liberty Island is about halfway there).

NB - If anyone is interested in kayaking to Governor's Island, make sure you get a NYC boat/kayak launch permit. It's cheap ($15) and a requirement to arrive, or depart, from any of the city boat launches.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.cityofwaterday.org/
Isn't there an event with free ferry service from the J.C. piers straight to Governor's Island once a year ?

Posted on: 2014/5/29 15:07
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
No, the best way from JC is to take the PATH to WTC and take the ferry from lower Manhattan. The only other Ferry is from Brooklyn and weekends only.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 14:26

JC to Governors Island
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if there is a ferry from JC? I don't think there is but figured I'd ask.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 14:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017