Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City schools working with company soon to be headed by Cerf
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
The media is so liberal. Thank god that Fox News, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Post, The Washington Times, The Christian Science Monitor, Free Republic, The Boston Herald, National Review, American Spectator, The Drudge Report, NewsMax, Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Ann Coulter, Michael Savage, Mike Huckabee, Glenn Beck, The Heritage Foundation, WorldNetDaily, The Weekly Standard, Dr. Phil, Ted Nugent, Donald Trump, Breitbart, The Blaze, Forbes, Michelle Malkin, Tucker Carlson, and others who I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment are here to let us know just how liberal "the media" is or we would never know.

Yup, add up ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, NYTimes, PBS, NPR, Hollywood and the left far outweighs the right in reaching and influencing viewers. The average American doesn't know who Ann Coulter is. Not so with Brian Williams-the Obama cheerleader reaches more viewers than ANY OTHER NEWS ANCHOR through mass media NBC.

Of course, talk radio entertainment leans right-but that's a media that reaches the average American across the heartland, not those in the liberal bubble. When I tell my liberal friends that the biggest selling vehicle in the USA is the Ford 150 pickup truck I think they get hives!

Posted on: 2014/5/28 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The media is so liberal. Thank god that Fox News, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Post, The Washington Times, The Christian Science Monitor, Free Republic, The Boston Herald, National Review, American Spectator, The Drudge Report, NewsMax, Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Ann Coulter, Michael Savage, Mike Huckabee, Glenn Beck, The Heritage Foundation, WorldNetDaily, The Weekly Standard, Dr. Phil, Ted Nugent, Donald Trump, Breitbart, The Blaze, Forbes, Michelle Malkin, Tucker Carlson, and others who I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment are here to let us know just how liberal "the media" is or we would never know.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Let's see, you have Fox News on one side, and ABC/CBS/NBC/MSN/CNN, the New York Times, Hollywood on the other.

Anytime I see this written, I know that it is coming from a place known only as complete ignorance...

Let me get this straight-you agree when someone says Fox skews right, but refuse to believe that other news organizations skew left?

Anyone who doesn't see this is a) either wildly partisan, b) has no understanding of bias in the news field, c) an idiot, or d) all of the above.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012 ... ors-political-affiliation

It's a problem to aver FOX is conservative propaganda, yet refusing to agree with Bill O'Reilly in the Sun Sentinalthat every other news outlet in the US is liberal propaganda is a problem? It's clear any further attempts at communication or exchanging ideas is futile, and I won't waste time responding to your posts anymore.

But I do have to ask, Monroe - why haven't you moved to Palm Beach or Arizona yet? You would probably be a lot happier, surrounded by out conservatives (unless there is a gang of you in JC that I've missed all these years).

Posted on: 2014/5/28 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Frank, my points are directed to those who aver that Fox is conservative propaganda, but refuse to acknowledge that the vast majority of media outlets in the US push a liberal agenda themselves.

Saying that most media is fair is like saying that academia in the US doesn't skew strongly left. It's self serving for those who want to demonize conservative voices, though.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
So you're another one who thinks Fox is evil, but doesn't think that Chris Matthews getting a 'thrill up my leg' every time he thinks about Obama is 'fair and balanced'?

I neither claimed that Fox News is ?evil,? nor did I express approval of its competitors. While it has long been clear that Fox News panders to a viewership with an especially conservative bias, all the popular commercial news networks have abysmally poor journalistic standards. That?s because they?re in the entertainment business, not the news business, and it?s in their best financial interests to avoid challenging their viewers, their ownership, and their advertisers.

In your apparent view of major television media as engaged in a conflict between left and right, you seem to have overlooked the fact that the primary job of these networks is to float commercials in front of your eyes. They don?t think very highly of our intellectual capacity, our curiosity and desire to objectively understand the world, or our willingness and ability to be challenged. They only have to count on the fact that most people are strongly addicted to television.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teachparentlove wrote:
I totally agree that Higher Ed. is leftist to a fascist level. Or at least it was when I attended. However, as I tell my students "2 wrongs don't make a right". Same goes for the media. Fox is really bad the way they distribute talking points though it really is a propaganda campaign as opposed to most media which just generally attracts left leaning people.

In my classes students are taught about left and right agendas and I tell them they must find their own opinions. I never give them mine without reminding them that they should have their own.

AMPLIFY IS EVIL

Fox news is a propaganda machine, and MSNBC is 'left leaning people' without an agenda?

The channel with the tagline on their website 'what progressives have been waiting for'?

Posted on: 2014/5/28 16:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 14:03
Group:
Registered Users
I totally agree that Higher Ed. is leftist to a fascist level. Or at least it was when I attended. However, as I tell my students "2 wrongs don't make a right". Same goes for the media. Fox is really bad the way they distribute talking points though it really is a propaganda campaign as opposed to most media which just generally attracts left leaning people.

In my classes students are taught about left and right agendas and I tell them they must find their own opinions. I never give them mine without reminding them that they should have their own.

AMPLIFY IS EVIL

Posted on: 2014/5/28 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Let me get this straight-you agree when someone says Fox skews right, but refuse to believe that other news organizations skew left?

Anyone who doesn't see this is a) either wildly partisan, b) has no understanding of bias in the news field, c) an idiot, or d) all of the above.

People who claim that popular, major media outlets are ?skewed to the left,? only demonstrate that they don?t even know what ?left? means.

So you're another one who thinks Fox is evil, but doesn't think that Chris Matthews getting a 'thrill up my leg' every time he thinks about Obama is 'fair and balanced'?

major lol's

Posted on: 2014/5/27 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

People who claim that popular, major media outlets are ?skewed to the left,? only demonstrate that they don?t even know what ?left? means.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

teachparentlove wrote:
Monroe:

Are you going to tell me that Fox News is "Fair and Balanced" as they claim in their tag line? Now I have a lot of conservative ideals (as well as liberal ones) and everyone knows Fox News has a political agenda and that they distribute "talking points" to their hosts. It is also documented public knowledge that Rupert Murdoch the owner of News Corp holds the same political beliefs often espoused on his news media.

I don't think it is such a "loony" jump to assume he would do the same for his digital text books. Don't you think our kids deserve at least two sides to the story on things like history and social studies? How is saying I don't want a Fox News style text book paranoid.

Tin Foil hats are as popular on the extreme right as they are on the extreme left.

Education has continually skewed more and more to the right over the years. This has nothing to do with Fox News or Rupert Murdoch directly. It has everything to do with the national curriculum getting dictated in conservative places of Texas.

Yeah, we see a lot of that taught, alongside 'Heather has two mommies' in the library and grade school instruction on how to put a condom on a banana. The right is taking over education.

Er, no.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Let's see, you have Fox News on one side, and ABC/CBS/NBC/MSN/CNN, the New York Times, Hollywood on the other.

Anytime I see this written, I know that it is coming from a place known only as complete ignorance...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012 ... ors-political-affiliation

Posted on: 2014/5/27 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teachparentlove wrote:
Monroe:

Are you going to tell me that Fox News is "Fair and Balanced" as they claim in their tag line? Now I have a lot of conservative ideals (as well as liberal ones) and everyone knows Fox News has a political agenda and that they distribute "talking points" to their hosts. It is also documented public knowledge that Rupert Murdoch the owner of News Corp holds the same political beliefs often espoused on his news media.

I don't think it is such a "loony" jump to assume he would do the same for his digital text books. Don't you think our kids deserve at least two sides to the story on things like history and social studies? How is saying I don't want a Fox News style text book paranoid.

Tin Foil hats are as popular on the extreme right as they are on the extreme left.

Education has continually skewed more and more to the right over the years. This has nothing to do with Fox News or Rupert Murdoch directly. It has everything to do with the national curriculum getting dictated in conservative places of Texas.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 20:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/27 20:28
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teachparentlove wrote:
Monroe:

And the Cerf employment there is more than balanced by Joel Klein, who was on the short list to become Secretary of Education under Obama-he and his wife are noted Democrats and supporters of the left. Cerf will work for him, no?

But you're jumping the gun on the education content-we haven't even seen it yet. And frankly, if you think we don't have a leftish slant in schools with content and teachers now, you're dreaming. Any move to the right would only bring it to the center, where it should be.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 15:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Monroe:

Posted on: 2014/5/27 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teachparentlove wrote:
Rupert Murdoch the genius behind Fox News and their "fair and balanced" reporting is creating tablets and controlling the curriculum for student learning. I am hearing rumors JCPS are adopting these for next year. Anyone else hearing this? It wouldn't surprise me in the least based on Marcia Lyles political circles.

Holy looney left paranoia! Better get giant tin foil hats over the schools to stop the dreaded Fox News cabal sending electronic curriculum through the roofs and into the tablets.

I hear the Tri-Lateral Commission has a hand in it as well.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Given the many BILLIONS of dollars that have been spent on JC schools, subsidized by taxpayers across NJ (currently running $500 million/year), I don't see why trying something different from the failed policies is anything but good.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. And the leadership up till now hasn't gotten the job done, especially given the mass amount of public money sent to JC.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teachparentlove wrote:
Rupert Murdoch the genius behind Fox News and their "fair and balanced" reporting is creating tablets and controlling the curriculum for student learning. I am hearing rumors JCPS are adopting these for next year. Anyone else hearing this? It wouldn't surprise me in the least based on Marcia Lyles political circles.

from the original article: "The tables are loaded with programs that are aligned with the Common Core State Standards that New Jersey and 45 other states have adopted."

I understand the teacher's union is against any change whatsoever, but our district, state, and country keep falling and falling in the ranks. Something's got to give, right? Or should we just continue rejecting any efforts to help via technology, resources, etc.?

Posted on: 2014/5/27 1:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/26 18:39

Jersey City schools working with company soon to be headed by Cerf
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City schools working with company soon to be headed by Cerf

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
February 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Amplify, the educational consulting company soon to be headed by state Education Commissioner Chris Cerf, has been working with the Jersey City school district, which is partly run by the state, as part of a pilot program since January.

The 27,000-student district leased, free of charge, more than 50 tablets from New York-based Amplify that were loaned to students at the Infinity Institute and School 38. The tables are loaded with programs that are aligned with the Common Core State Standards that New Jersey and 45 other states have adopted.

District spokeswoman Maryann Dickar said neither Cerf nor any state educational official encouraged the district to work with Amplify or suggested the district contact the firm. Dickar noted that the pilot program doesn?t cost the district one cent, and runs only 30 days in one school and 10 in another.

"The district is exploring several technology-based initiatives including e-readers, blended learning and flipped classrooms," she said in an email when asked if the Amplify pilot program would be replicated districtwide.

Amplify, a subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch?s News Corps., is now run by former New York City Schools Chancellor Joel Klein, once boss to both Cerf and Jersey City Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles.

Cerf raised eyebrows on Tuesday when he announced he is stepping down as the state?s education commissioner later this month to become CEO of Amplify. He discounted any notion that his new job represents a conflict of interest, saying state regulations forbid him from trading on his professional connections.

Read more from the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/2/14 17:27

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017