Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Christie says Super Bowl could come back to NJ
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Monroe trying to derail the thread with irrelevant information because it's obvious Christie is wrong here.

The Super Bowl was a disaster for NJ. Let the NFL find another state to take advantage of.

Other than the NJ Transit not having it figured out (and thinking that the game wouldn't be a blowout and people would leave early) I'm not sure how this was a 'disaster' for NJ. I'm sure Fulop loved the tax revenue from the hotels, no?

Disaster? A bit of partisan rhetoric methinks.

I think the Super Bowl was a disaster for New Jersey too and don't put all the blame on Christie for it (was it even entirely his decision? Don't these things get decided years ahead of time?). It was a disaster for New Jersey due to some simple geography, something that no Governor would have any control over. New Jersey paid a fortune for the police overtime and added transit service, plus other improvements around Secaucus but the nearby businesses, i.e. hotels and restaurants, didn't nearly benefit as much as the state thought they would because most of the fans stayed in New York. Logistically speaking, the Super Bowl just doesn't work for New Jersey and it never will. The Super Bowl has been held numerous times in Miami, New Orleans and Los Angeles, which makes far more sense because the fans end up eating and sleeping in the same state that picks up the added costs associated with hosting the game. Again, simple geography at play here.

You would think Christie would learn from this mistake. Not partisan rhetoric, just simple logic speaking.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
I get sick and tired of hearing people blaming their predecessors. PLEASE! If you go into office because voters expect something of you and you let them down?.it's your fault ?If you can't make any significant positive progress; get the f*#K out of public service. Bored by politicians !!!!!!!!!!

You do know that Obama is still blaming Bush, right? I hope your scorn is bi-partisan. And plenty here, including Fulop, still put a lot on Healey.

I am an equal opportunity scorner?Now, are you blaming me for something?

Posted on: 2014/5/24 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
I get sick and tired of hearing people blaming their predecessors. PLEASE! If you go into office because voters expect something of you and you let them down?.it's your fault ?If you can't make any significant positive progress; get the f*#K out of public service. Bored by politicians !!!!!!!!!!

You do know that Obama is still blaming Bush, right? I hope your scorn is bi-partisan. And plenty here, including Fulop, still put a lot on Healey.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/24 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JCMan, if you think that Christie treated the PA any differently than any previous Governor of NJ or NY you're dreadfully mistaken. It's been a pit of political patronage from the day it started.

And it's hilarious that people seemed to forget the 'safety' checkpoints Fulop ordered at the ship/truck transfer depot last year IN RETALIATION at the PA, causing huge traffic delays.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... d_to_traffic_backups.html

Straight out of the Hudson County Democratic machine playbook. Hague would've been proud!

Posted on: 2014/5/24 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i'm no fan of booker, but booker ha his good and bad points..just like fulop as well as obama. i have yet to hear you make one critical comment about christie

Well, well before the traffic cone fiasco I said my biggest disappointment with Christie was the fact he hadn't gone after the Port Authority. In fact, I'm sure I said that I'd hoped he'd use his experience in going after the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission and the Delaware River Port Authority in his first term to ride herd on the NY/NJ PA in his second term.

And, truth be told, I've met him as many times as I've met Fulop. Once.

But what good has Booker done for us? (Besides the kitchen fire rescue of a neighbor). His Newark Watershed shenanigans ALONE should/will be more of a scandal than Bridgegate.

You do realize of course that it is not simply Christie "hasn't gone after the Port Authority." In fact, he actively contributed to their corruption by stacking his side with political yes-men who served as his cronies (not like Cuomo is any better).

But all of this is a digression from this thread. Your continued attempts to try to talk about everything under the sun notwithstanding, this article and thread concerns Christie's ridiculous comments that he'd like the Super Bowl to come back to NJ, despite the enormous cost associated with it. If you want to talk about Booker (and I'd probably agree with most of what you have to say), start another thread.

Surely anyone would agree that before remotely considering bringing it back here, we would have to have hard proof of an actual net benefit to NJ and the affected towns? As far as I know, no one has produced any. And as far as I know, the Super Bowl was a tremendous cost to NJ and JC, and NY saw most of the benefit, so I wouldn't be surprised if taxpayers lost millions of dollars.

I can understand Cuomo clamoring to have the Super Bowl in NJ again. But Christie?

Posted on: 2014/5/24 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i'm no fan of booker, but booker ha his good and bad points..just like fulop as well as obama. i have yet to hear you make one critical comment about christie

Well, well before the traffic cone fiasco I said my biggest disappointment with Christie was the fact he hadn't gone after the Port Authority. In fact, I'm sure I said that I'd hoped he'd use his experience in going after the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission and the Delaware River Port Authority in his first term to ride herd on the NY/NJ PA in his second term.

And, truth be told, I've met him as many times as I've met Fulop. Once.

But what good has Booker done for us? (Besides the kitchen fire rescue of a neighbor). His Newark Watershed shenanigans ALONE should/will be more of a scandal than Bridgegate.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think Christie just likes bowls. (like his contribution in making NJ into a toilet bowl)

Posted on: 2014/5/23 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/23 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Monroe are you employed by Christie as his official apologist?

I just try and distill down the facts for those who seem unable to understand them or choose not to.

There's little balance in the political commentary here in Hudson County. Any comments on Newark's credit rating being dropped, after two Booker terms today? Our Senator seems to get a free pass here-why? He does represent JC in DC.

It's the Hudson County double standard, of course.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Monroe are you employed by Christie as his official apologist?

Posted on: 2014/5/23 23:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
Well we know local residents had no idea about the concert in Liberty State Park and therefore many couldn't attend. I don't think much was done as far as publicizing Super Bowl activities for locals (if there were any) so I don't know what benefits the average resident gets out of all this. Seems like just another waste of our already ridulous taxes.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Monroe trying to derail the thread with irrelevant information because it's obvious Christie is wrong here.

The Super Bowl was a disaster for NJ. Let the NFL find another state to take advantage of.

Other than the NJ Transit not having it figured out (and thinking that the game wouldn't be a blowout and people would leave early) I'm not sure how this was a 'disaster' for NJ. I'm sure Fulop loved the tax revenue from the hotels, no?

Most hotels had vacancies. How about all the police OT the city had to payout for the non-stop motorcades. All NJ got was bad press.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/23 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/23 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Please don't hijack this thread with pension discussions. There's another thread on the front page for that purpose.

Surely no one can defend Christie's comments about wanting to host a second Super Bowl here. As others have pointed out, and as experts have discussed in the articles, the Super Bowl was largely negative for NJ. We assumed the costs by footing the bill, while NY reaped most of the benefits.

The biggest press NJ got was when fans, in the midst of hours long delays caused by NJ Transit's typical poor planning, chanted FUCK NEW JERSEY!

So what gives? Christie is an intelligent man so I wonder what's behind his comments supporting a notion that will simply waste millions more of taxpayer money.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
don't worry the olympics are not coming to nyc and the superbowl was a WASTE! I guess christie wants to waste more money while cutting pension funding!

He's ready to work with Sweeney to switch over to a 401K program, but the Legislature won't fix it.

Care to share how much Florio, McGreevey, Corzine, and Codey put into the pension funds?

Just the Tip of the Iceberg

Given Corzine's connections, it will be difficult to pin much on him. That is the benefit of running Goldman Sachs and acting as a chief economic adviser to President Obama.

In the end, however, Corzine is just another breed of a sleazy pol - another man who embraces the privatization of profits for himself and the socialization of losses on taxpayers, pensioners, and ordinary Americans.

MF Global is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Corzine. In fact, it's staggering that the CFTC even allowed Corzine to engage in derivatives trading following his time as New Jersey governor.

In early 2008, as the financial crisis was just underway, then-governor Corzine raided the state's pension funds in order to stimulate the state economy.

Corzine's plan was to divert $250 million in state pension money into local banks. But it was hardly a fair approach. The money was actually diverted to construction unions and his political allies.

Corzine decided to help out his hurting Wall Street buddies. He used $178 million in pension funds to purchase Lehman Brothers stock, even though the warning signs of the company's epic collapse were clear around the time of the purchase.

The state pension fund lost $115 million in 90 days on Corzine's Lehman bet. And by the end of the year, this fund was underfunded by $2.6 billion. It will likely go insolvent by 2020.

Of course, no one in the U.S. government investigated Corzine's role in diverting public pensions to political allies or back to the friends he kept on Wall Street.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
don't worry the olympics are not coming to nyc and the superbowl was a WASTE! I guess christie wants to waste more money while cutting pension funding!

Posted on: 2014/5/23 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
NJ got royally screwed by the Super Bowl. All of the comments from visitors were along the lines of how great it was going to NY and how awful NJ transit was in getting to the game. Our reputation was hurt badly by the event. The whole thing soured me on the NFL quite a bit. I won't ever claim to have liked Christie before, but his comments are just flat out stupid.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 17:36
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What's really monumentally stupid is Governor Cuomo suggesting that NY take on the Olympics.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ ... 2024-olympic-bid/9089509/

Posted on: 2014/5/23 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wish Christie would do us all a favor and retire from "public service".

Posted on: 2014/5/23 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Tx JCMan8! I guess it doesn't make sense from NJ's perspective.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Do we know whether NJ businesses benefited from the NFL or not? If so, i don't mind having it back (I'm not a sports fan, nor do I plan to rent out my place to football enthusiasts). I hope NJ transit learned from their experience and will improve upon it.

Based on press at the time, my understanding was NY received most of the benefit, while NJ paid most of the cost.

For example, most of the fans stayed in NY hotels and were in and out of NJ just for the game. But NJ had to pay for all the police and security (not counting local overtime like JC police, which JC paid itself).

Here are some example articles, including one that claims NJs Super Bowl economic benefit was 75% below NFL projections.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/01/the_s ... _its_biggest_sunday_ever/

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014 ... ding_often_overblown.html

Posted on: 2014/5/23 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Do we know whether NJ businesses benefited from the NFL or not? If so, i don't mind having it back (I'm not a sports fan, nor do I plan to rent out my place to football enthusiasts). I hope NJ transit learned from their experience and will improve upon it.

Based on press at the time, my understanding was NY received most of the benefit, while NJ paid most of the cost.

For example, most of the fans stayed in NY hotels and were in and out of NJ just for the game. But NJ had to pay for all the police and security (not counting local overtime like JC police, which JC paid itself).

Here are some example articles, including one that claims NJs Super Bowl economic benefit was 75% below NFL projections.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/01/the_s ... _its_biggest_sunday_ever/

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014 ... ding_often_overblown.html

Posted on: 2014/5/23 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/23 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
As much as I don't give a crap about the non story bridgegate blah blah crap, this is terrible. Christie lost me.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 14:57

Christie says Super Bowl could come back to NJ
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Watch out guys, under Christie's watch JC could be affected by the Super Bowl again.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... ld_come_back_to_njny.html

Posted on: 2014/5/23 14:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017