Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Re: Future of Newport Mall
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/12 4:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BayonneJoe wrote:
Hello, everyone. This is my first post and I seem to now be resurrecting a dead topic. However, I wanted to discuss the future of Newport now that the wretched waste of space Pay/Half is now gone after 15 years.

If you haven't seen, the Pay/Half space is being divided into two restaurant spaces (something the mall desperately needed to be completely honest). The construction has begun on the outside of this space directly across from the light rail. It looks like the former truck dock (specifically used for Pay/Half and former Filene's Basement) is being demolished and these two restaurants will have outdoor entrances and hopefully outdoor patio seating, with a gorgeous view of the lovely light rail station and its charming riders of course.

As for what will take over these two spots, nothing has been made official yet. The big rumor is The Cheesecake Factory, which I will not be surprised if it is true. Although I am quite frankly sick of the abundance of CFs in NJ (8 locations now and Short Hills being the closest), I welcome it. The location and spot works too. The CF in Trumbull, CT is what comes to mind when I envision the finished product.

No clue as for the second spot. I have heard rumors about Legal Sea Foods and McCormick and Schmicks. If not one of these two, I can see P.F. Chang's or Brio Tuscan Grille. Something along those lines.

As for new stores, I am hoping for a J. Crew or Banana, but hopefully those will come with the changing of Metro Plaza into a new high rise development. For some weird reason, American Apparel is opening upstairs, even though they are right next to the seemingly successful Hoboken store. I have a feeling this store won't make it here. A Uniqlo would be great instead.

I actually overheard a cashier at Old Navy near Hudson Mall a few days ago tell a customer that Newport will be getting a Banana Republic.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
kind of a shame, that was one of the only stores i ever bothered stopping in anymore.

lol at the thought of outdoor seating by the clanging light rail and the gazillion kids who go to that stop daily. good luck with that.

and boy, outside of uniqlo and the thought of a nice seafood restaurant, there's not a single business you mentioned that i give the slightest of fux about. i get that i'm not the demographic that simon's goin after, but they sure are giving me less and less reasons to want to go there.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 9:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/10 14:47
From Bayonne, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, everyone. This is my first post and I seem to now be resurrecting a dead topic. However, I wanted to discuss the future of Newport now that the wretched waste of space Pay/Half is now gone after 15 years.

If you haven't seen, the Pay/Half space is being divided into two restaurant spaces (something the mall desperately needed to be completely honest). The construction has begun on the outside of this space directly across from the light rail. It looks like the former truck dock (specifically used for Pay/Half and former Filene's Basement) is being demolished and these two restaurants will have outdoor entrances and hopefully outdoor patio seating, with a gorgeous view of the lovely light rail station and its charming riders of course.

As for what will take over these two spots, nothing has been made official yet. The big rumor is The Cheesecake Factory, which I will not be surprised if it is true. Although I am quite frankly sick of the abundance of CFs in NJ (8 locations now and Short Hills being the closest), I welcome it. The location and spot works too. The CF in Trumbull, CT is what comes to mind when I envision the finished product.

No clue as for the second spot. I have heard rumors about Legal Sea Foods and McCormick and Schmicks. If not one of these two, I can see P.F. Chang's or Brio Tuscan Grille. Something along those lines.

As for new stores, I am hoping for a J. Crew or Banana, but hopefully those will come with the changing of Metro Plaza into a new high rise development. For some weird reason, American Apparel is opening upstairs, even though they are right next to the seemingly successful Hoboken store. I have a feeling this store won't make it here. A Uniqlo would be great instead.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 5:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
That's fine. I am more responding to the previous assertion that all of JC is ghetto and Newport is ghetto (which is obviously crap).

Look at many of the mall's current retailers aside from Pay Half and a few others, they are in every NY/NJ upscale mall and many of those same malls don't have a Michael Kors, Teavana, G Star, etc.

I agree with eventually increasing density where Shop Rite is, but I think the main change at the mall would be taking out the area of the deck by Marin, making it storefronts, and then just making the rest of the garage higher.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Jersey Journal just announced G Star Raw, Potatotopia, and Panera coming to Newport Mall.

I just wonder why G Star Raw (and its cheapest t shirt at $40) didn't choose a more exclusive locale like Communipaw, instead of ghetto Newport and its roommates gone wild.

By the way, I was a bit off-topic. I didn't intend to bash the mall in any way, just Newport itself which I continue to have an intense hatred for. I have occasionally shopped there and it is nice to have around. Look, malls in America have seen better days. They have always been a hang-out for teenagers wasting time with their friends. In areas that have a bad element that can easily get there, there will be issues. Upper middle class white collar workers tend to shop online these days. In terms of the area, it isn't remotely the sketchiest place. The big box stores around the Pep Boys win that award. Those will disappear far earlier than the Mall will. And once the population density increases further with luxury condos, I suspect the mall will get additional usage.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey Journal just announced G Star Raw, Potatotopia, and Panera coming to Newport Mall.

I just wonder why G Star Raw (and its cheapest t shirt at $40) didn't choose a more exclusive locale like Communipaw, instead of ghetto Newport and its roommates gone wild.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Newport looks good on paper but don't be fooled there are plenty of folks living in a roommate situation there more so than any other part of the city. I know two personally who share a 4k a month apt with 3 others.

FYI, as someone who used to live in Newport (NOT in a roommate situation), I can confirm that a huge amount of apartments are overcrowded with numerous roommates. People who are horribly obnoxious too. I've seen such freakin nonsense while there. Someone renting out a cot in the hallway. 3 generations with 2 or 3 kids, parents and grandparents in a single, small apartment. People leaving doors open in summer as they cook because they don't want to spend money on air conditioning. Huge numbers of people who are petrified of dogs - your average black lab will cause people to run screaming, sometimes literally. Or they will yell at you (though not in clear English, nor will they understand your response that dogs are allowed). And I lived in a "nice" building, not the old ones that are even worse. Not trying to be a jerk but it definitely had a third world feel to it.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
There isn't much at the Hudson Mall, though they have Marshall's and Applebees, which I miss from my suburban upbringing.

I'm only responding with stereotypes to the idea that "downtown is ghetto"...if downtown is ghetto as many people outside downtown scream from the rooftops, its retail selection, restaurant selection, real estate prices...among others...have a funny way of showing it.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

I wish they build a mall in 07304/5

Like the one already there?

there is already one there? why do they keep coming to newport instead of going to the closer mall?

Posted on: 2014/6/11 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

Like the one already there?

Posted on: 2014/6/11 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:

When the RE market was hot realtors were telling people Greenville and Bergen/Lafayette would be the next hot areas for development and rising values. I had friends who believed the hype and sold their Hoboken condo and bought in that area. They sold the house got out of there 6 months later a bit wiser.

lol, at least they sold the hoboken condo at the top. Every generation you will have people learning the hard way about the importance of location in real estate investment.
----------------

on a side note, i dont mind the ghetto people coming to the newport mall on the weekend and being loud/bad mannered. I dont mind they try to harass the local residents at the mall entrance selling candy bars nor the screaming and rude behavior in the movie theaters.

What really pisses me off is how they just throw garbage everywhere. Every monday on my way to work, area around washington blvd looks like a garbage dump with glass bottles, fried chicken bones, pizza boxes, etc.. everywhere.

i lost count of the times i saw a family of those people coming/leaving the mall and the teenagers just throw the bottles/garbage right on the floor, while the parents looked on like nothing happened.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 19:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/12 4:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
The average income in 07310 is over 100k and just under in 07302 with Hoboken just in between, not to mention the neighborhoods on the other side of the Hudson.

That area isn't the "hood"...yeah DTJC is so hood with projects like Crystal Pointe and bodegas like Cosi and you can barely walk the street you may get slashed with the pen of Wall Street type buried in his Blackberry.

I guess the Mall caters to the Hood. I'm sure Teavana, Qdoba and Michael Kors are all the rage on Ocean Ave.

And Newport is just so hood...Morton Williams, Komegashi, Skylark on the Hudson...I mean if only we could be more like Greenville and get a Kennedy Fried Chicken over here!

I live within walking distance of the mall and I don't want it to go anywhere. Thanks for the concern though. I'd much rather it stay and continue.

I do appreciate the hipster denigration of any enterprise not some organic or hand me down or overpriced baloney, and I do always, always appreciate the envy of non-downtowners with real estate envy who show it through the aspersion cast on the city's best districts.

Carry on, the rest of us will enjoy the convenience.

...because everyone in Greenville eats at fried chicken spots and doesn't know what Teavana, Qdoba, or Michael Kors are.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Unfortunately for him, google exists. I don't understand how people end up over there with the knowledge out there. But it does explain all the downtown-trashing.

When the RE market was hot realtors were telling people Greenville and Bergen/Lafayette would be the next hot areas for development and rising values. I had friends who believed the hype and sold their Hoboken condo and bought in that area. They sold the house got out of there 6 months later a bit wiser.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:

Memo to you, Mr. Grittier, more authentic than thou - life existed before you came along. Just because you "discovered" where you live doesn't mean that people weren't there long before you living their lives - imagine it: they weren't even waiting for you to arrive, to deem it the hip, hidden gem that you've decided it is. As for what is and isn't in JC (and yes, I've been around long enough to have a very well-informed opinion and don't need to scrape yours off the bottom of my shoe...) there are two Jersey City's: the one entrenched in poverty and urban blight and there's downtown. Is downtown perfect? Hell no. Compared to a lot of other places with a similar cost of living, it sucks. Does crime happen downtown, of course it does - with greater regularity than most people realize or care to admit. But most of the census tracts downtown have median incomes that fall in the upper 5% of the country. Many of the census tracts in Greenville and Bergen Lafayette have median incomes that are below the poverty level. The Times has this in a very user-friendly interactive map that I'm sure you can google and find.

So.... get you head out of your ass. No matter how much you want to stroke yourself into thinking you are just a little smarter and know the real story... the real story is you have chosen to live in the ghetto and not everyone else has.

I remember from another thread the User was planning to sell his properties in GV and move back to Brooklyn. He's just hyping the area like RE agents have been doing to sell properties. He won't get a good price if potential buyers are staying away.

Unfortunately for him, google exists. I don't understand how people end up over there with the knowledge out there. But it does explain all the downtown-trashing.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Newport looks good on paper but don't be fooled there are plenty of folks living in a roommate situation...

There is also a significant amount of gentrification happening downtown. Almost every vacant lot is being built up with "luxury" condos, towers are going up. Journal Square is up next.

I'm pretty sure Newport could transform itself into a higher-end mall in the next 5 years. Whether that will be enough for it to survive is unclear, since in general malls are getting hammered.

Anyway. It would be best if all of us remember that many parts of Jersey City are still very poor, while other parts are rapidly gentrifying.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for posting that clip. It explains a lot.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/27 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:

Memo to you, Mr. Grittier, more authentic than thou - life existed before you came along. Just because you "discovered" where you live doesn't mean that people weren't there long before you living their lives - imagine it: they weren't even waiting for you to arrive, to deem it the hip, hidden gem that you've decided it is. As for what is and isn't in JC (and yes, I've been around long enough to have a very well-informed opinion and don't need to scrape yours off the bottom of my shoe...) there are two Jersey City's: the one entrenched in poverty and urban blight and there's downtown. Is downtown perfect? Hell no. Compared to a lot of other places with a similar cost of living, it sucks. Does crime happen downtown, of course it does - with greater regularity than most people realize or care to admit. But most of the census tracts downtown have median incomes that fall in the upper 5% of the country. Many of the census tracts in Greenville and Bergen Lafayette have median incomes that are below the poverty level. The Times has this in a very user-friendly interactive map that I'm sure you can google and find.

So.... get you head out of your ass. No matter how much you want to stroke yourself into thinking you are just a little smarter and know the real story... the real story is you have chosen to live in the ghetto and not everyone else has.

I remember from another thread the User was planning to sell his properties in GV and move back to Brooklyn. He's just hyping the area like RE agents have been doing to sell properties. He won't get a good price if potential buyers are staying away.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Either Greenville or Bergen-Lafeyette is the most dangerous.

It doesn't matter- what does matter is that DTJC doesn't have the crime those areas do, and has totally different demographics.

Acting like Newport is demographically like Greenville would be like someone in East New York claiming it's just like the Upper East Side.

During the election the Jersey Journal wrote that average income in Society Hill and Port Liberte was also over 100k.

And I would consider the Heights, JSQ, and the West Side to be better off than Greenville and Bergen-Laffeyette generally and to have less crime too.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
at the end of the day, there are two groups of jc'listers

first group are those that think there are no differences in jersey city and think greenville is just as good or just as bad of a neighborhood as newport or hamilton park, etc. They will always try to label dtjc as being just as dangerous, just as crime ridden or they go the route of "omg dtjc overrun with hipsters, yuppies, wall street types, etc."

Then there's the other group who live in reality and pray for greenville everyday....

That reminds me, I must say my daily prayers...

Then there's the idiots that think that Greenville is the most dangerous neighborhood in Jersey City without checking the stats...

Posted on: 2014/5/25 21:58
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For the record, User - I live in census tract 39 - median household income of $142k. The mall sits in tract 1602 - median household income of $113k. When I look at all of the tracts that are in the areas you habitually defend - I don't see anything above $50k and many are in the low $30s to $40. You really don't see a difference???

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

Not saying one is better than the other, but to pretend that Jersey City is all the same economically is to be either stupid or outrageously disingenuous.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

LMAO I think people are mad, Newport is doing well because people from other areas outside of dtjc support it heavily. Stand next to the Danforth or Richard st light rail on Saturday or Sunday and count the many people with 4-8 shopping bags coming from the mall.

So here's a win/win then: move it to the hood. Your neighbours can frequent it much more easily (and cheaply - no light rail necessary) and the people who actually live near the mall can have what they want. Which is not the current iteration of the Newport Mall.

You haven't gotten the memo, Jersey City is Hood and the mall is fine where it is. To all you pretentious a$$holes you started off as a cream-pie in your mom just like the rest of us, so knock it off.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
at the end of the day, there are two groups of jc'listers

first group are those that think there are no differences in jersey city and think greenville is just as good or just as bad of a neighborhood as newport or hamilton park, etc. They will always try to label dtjc as being just as dangerous, just as crime ridden or they go the route of "omg dtjc overrun with hipsters, yuppies, wall street types, etc."

Then there's the other group who live in reality and pray for greenville everyday....

That reminds me, I must say my daily prayers...

Posted on: 2014/5/24 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Newport looks good on paper but don't be fooled there are plenty of folks living in a roommate situation there more so than any other part of the city. I know two personally who share a 4k a month apt with 3 others.

Resized Image

A typical Sunday at the mall. I doubt Saks Fifth Ave wants any part of this.

Didn't know that there were fights on most sundays at newport mall and also didn't know that the population of newport was a whole 2 people.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Resized Image

A typical Sunday at the mall. I doubt Saks Fifth Ave wants any part of this.

Didn't know that there were fights on most sundays at newport mall and also didn't know that the population of newport was a whole 2 people.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:
And your friends with kids moved because they want to send their kids to good schools, not because they couldn't afford to live in JC. Many people I know planned to live in Hoboken or JC up until the point when the kids enter school, then they head west. And that's exactly what they did.

They can't afford to live here and send their kids to private school. You can still get a house in the burbs for around 500K. You can barely buy a 1 bedroom apartment for that in downtown JC now. So, yes, they can't afford to live here anymore. Look - to each their own. It's not my choice or preference, but I can see the positive factors to suburb living.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The average income in 07310 is over 100k and just under in 07302 with Hoboken just in between, not to mention the neighborhoods on the other side of the Hudson.

That area isn't the "hood"...yeah DTJC is so hood with projects like Crystal Pointe and bodegas like Cosi and you can barely walk the street you may get slashed with the pen of Wall Street type buried in his Blackberry.

I guess the Mall caters to the Hood. I'm sure Teavana, Qdoba and Michael Kors are all the rage on Ocean Ave.

And Newport is just so hood...Morton Williams, Komegashi, Skylark on the Hudson...I mean if only we could be more like Greenville and get a Kennedy Fried Chicken over here!

I live within walking distance of the mall and I don't want it to go anywhere. Thanks for the concern though. I'd much rather it stay and continue.

I do appreciate the hipster denigration of any enterprise not some organic or hand me down or overpriced baloney, and I do always, always appreciate the envy of non-downtowners with real estate envy who show it through the aspersion cast on the city's best districts.

Carry on, the rest of us will enjoy the convenience.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
newport mall is located in the newport section of jersey city, probably the neighborhood with the highest median incomes in JC.

I find it funny that people here think that just because there are ghettos in JC in other neighborhoods, that will influence what stores open in newport mall...

It's like saying that what happens in harlem influences what stores open on saks fifth avenue. very laughable

http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/073 ... ode-07310-2010-census.asp

07310, Newport's zip code was 65% Asian in 2010, mostly Indians. That they are well paid is one thing, that they would spend their money in upscale stores is a question best answered by merchants and market researchers. In any case Newport is a regional mall and caters to a larger area than its immediate neighbors.
Personally, for important purchases I go into Manhattan, easy peasy.

Go stand at the Light Rail platform and look who goes shopping at Newport.

The upscale stores that people in Newport shop at are in NYC not in the Newport Mall. You would have to have Saks, Armani, Coach, Williams Sonoma, Michael Kors etc. in the mall to get business from the residents of Newport. This is from my own shopping bag observation on the weekends.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
newport mall is located in the newport section of jersey city, probably the neighborhood with the highest median incomes in JC.

I find it funny that people here think that just because there are ghettos in JC in other neighborhoods, that will influence what stores open in newport mall...

It's like saying that what happens in harlem influences what stores open on saks fifth avenue. very laughable

http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/073 ... ode-07310-2010-census.asp

07310, Newport's zip code was 65% Asian in 2010, mostly Indians. That they are well paid is one thing, that they would spend their money in upscale stores is a question best answered by merchants and market researchers. In any case Newport is a regional mall and caters to a larger area than its immediate neighbors.
Personally, for important purchases I go into Manhattan, easy peasy.

Go stand at the Light Rail platform and look who goes shopping at Newport.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
the mall is great for lunching..convenient for workers

Posted on: 2014/5/23 18:19

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »