Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Future of Newport Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Newport looks good on paper but don't be fooled there are plenty of folks living in a roommate situation there more so than any other part of the city. I know two personally who share a 4k a month apt with 3 others.

Resized Image

A typical Sunday at the mall. I doubt Saks Fifth Ave wants any part of this.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
newport mall is located in the newport section of jersey city, probably the neighborhood with the highest median incomes in JC.

I find it funny that people here think that just because there are ghettos in JC in other neighborhoods, that will influence what stores open in newport mall...

It's like saying that what happens in harlem influences what stores open on saks fifth avenue. very laughable

Go stand at the Light Rail platform and look who goes shopping at Newport.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
newport mall is located in the newport section of jersey city, probably the neighborhood with the highest median incomes in JC.

I find it funny that people here think that just because there are ghettos in JC in other neighborhoods, that will influence what stores open in newport mall...

It's like saying that what happens in harlem influences what stores open on saks fifth avenue. very laughable

Posted on: 2014/5/23 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Panera...

Posted on: 2014/5/23 17:24
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
So, to circle back, the Newport Mall fits the demographics of the area perfectly. If the area was so upscale, you wouldn't be an Abbott district, would you?

I think people here (JCList) live in a bubble or walk around with their head in their ass. Take a ride around the city and see who lives here. We are not surrounded by the elite. Jersey City is up and coming but we have a long way to go before we can have a high end stores.

Were I live within the four block radius most people work for the city, state or private sector and rake in over a 100k a year per household but we are not demanding a whole foods on Ocean ave because if you walk just a few blocks down some folks are below the poverty level. I mean really, get a clue.

If we had the per capita income level of Princeton, which has a population of about 16000 we could support a high end mall, a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and a Wegman's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Township,_New_Jersey

As I have said before JC is a Dollar Store demographic and will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
And your friends with kids moved because they want to send their kids to good schools, not because they couldn't afford to live in JC. Many people I know planned to live in Hoboken or JC up until the point when the kids enter school, then they head west. And that's exactly what they did.

Lost some tenants last year for that reason. Once their oldest reached school age, it was time to leave J.C. Private schools were just too expensive.

Happens in the suburbs as well. Many, many years ago, my family moved from a house and area they loved due to issues with the school. The ended up moving into a home that my Mom hated. She put up with it because my sister was getting beat up and robbed on an almost daily basis. Mind you, this was grade school.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
So, to circle back, the Newport Mall fits the demographics of the area perfectly. If the area was so upscale, you wouldn't be an Abbott district, would you?

I think people here (JCList) live in a bubble or walk around with their head in their ass. Take a ride around the city and see who lives here. We are not surrounded by the elite. Jersey City is up and coming but we have a long way to go before we can have a high end stores.

Were I live within the four block radius most people work for the city, state or private sector and rake in over a 100k a year per household but we are not demanding a whole foods on Ocean ave because if you walk just a few blocks down some folks are below the poverty level. I mean really, get a clue.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Quote:
There aren't enough people in the immediate area to support a high end mall-as I said earlier, it does what it does well for the general area demographics.

I don't think that is true. Many people I know can't afford to live in downtown Jersey City or Hoboken, and thus have moved to the 'burbs. There are plenty of decent malls in the 'burbs, where living is certainly cheaper. In fact, I have several friends that had kids and wanted to stay in JC but couldn't afford it. Where did they move? Westfield, Scotch Plains, Summit, etc. Haven't you read the studies that millennials don't want to live in the 'burbs anymore?

We also have incredible diversity in JC and that is something we should be proud of. This doesn't have to be a pretentious conversation about how our mall fits our "demographics".

More silliness. The taxes are quite high in the burbs, especially because they get so little state education money because of the Abbott decision that subsidizes JC taxpayers.

Even though Millburn/Short Hills has a billion dollar ratable in the Mall at Short Hills, their taxes are high because they get only 11% of their school expenses from the state. Jersey City gets over 76% of their school expenses from the state, in comparison. Newark, over 81%. Westfield, 11%. East Orange, 85%. Summit, 10%. Get the idea, and do note that education costs are the highest line item in any municipal budget.

And your friends with kids moved because they want to send their kids to good schools, not because they couldn't afford to live in JC. Many people I know planned to live in Hoboken or JC up until the point when the kids enter school, then they head west. And that's exactly what they did.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
You haven't gotten the memo, Jersey City is Hood and the mall is fine where it is. To all you pretentious a$$holes you started off as a cream-pie in your mom just like the rest of us, so knock it off.

Well spoken, your education conveys the message. Although the message is confusing are you against commerce ? And yes we all start out the same but we branch out over time, were you stuck getting out or just trying to get back in.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 16:05
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:
There aren't enough people in the immediate area to support a high end mall-as I said earlier, it does what it does well for the general area demographics.

I don't think that is true. Many people I know can't afford to live in downtown Jersey City or Hoboken, and thus have moved to the 'burbs. There are plenty of decent malls in the 'burbs, where living is certainly cheaper. In fact, I have several friends that had kids and wanted to stay in JC but couldn't afford it. Where did they move? Westfield, Scotch Plains, Summit, etc. Haven't you read the studies that millennials don't want to live in the 'burbs anymore?

We also have incredible diversity in JC and that is something we should be proud of. This doesn't have to be a pretentious conversation about how our mall fits our "demographics".

Posted on: 2014/5/23 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

LMAO I think people are mad, Newport is doing well because people from other areas outside of dtjc support it heavily. Stand next to the Danforth or Richard st light rail on Saturday or Sunday and count the many people with 4-8 shopping bags coming from the mall.

So here's a win/win then: move it to the hood. Your neighbours can frequent it much more easily (and cheaply - no light rail necessary) and the people who actually live near the mall can have what they want. Which is not the current iteration of the Newport Mall.

You haven't gotten the memo, Jersey City is Hood and the mall is fine where it is. To all you pretentious a$$holes you started off as a cream-pie in your mom just like the rest of us, so knock it off.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

LMAO I think people are mad, Newport is doing well because people from other areas outside of dtjc support it heavily. Stand next to the Danforth or Richard st light rail on Saturday or Sunday and count the many people with 4-8 shopping bags coming from the mall.

So here's a win/win then: move it to the hood. Your neighbours can frequent it much more easily (and cheaply - no light rail necessary) and the people who actually live near the mall can have what they want. Which is not the current iteration of the Newport Mall.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/23 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
More good ideas, heights! I'd love to see a YMCA and/or a community pool and park.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
How about no mall. With everyone shopping online lets have a small main street USA something along the line of a fashion district. That mall is a big monster all of that land can be used for mulitple uses: parking lot, food store, or a park. Maybe even an outdoor plaza like the Italian piazzas that bring neighborhoods together.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 11:11
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Good suggestions, Hamilton Park. I would love to see a Lord & Taylor and a Wegman's, along with some "regular" stores like Jcrew, banana, etc.

I do most of my shopping Short Hills out of neccessity. It is an OK mall. It has plenty of the "fancy" stores, but the mall itself is not great, parking is a pain and it has a bit of an obnoxious Jersey vibe to it.

I would gladly shop closer to home if they had a better selection of stores.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Newport shouldn't try to be Short Hills.

I've been to Westfield malls in Cali, they are along the Short Hills line.

We don't need a Louis Vuitton in Newport- we just need more "regular" stores like all the other non-Short Hills NJ middle and upper class malls have. Menlo is a good model of that. Has a good mix.

Sears and JC Penny are going to go in a few years. So you have to think...my idea is Lord & Taylor or Nordstrom (Saks is never coming here let's be real). But thinking outside the box, how about a Trader Joe's? Or a Wegman's? Or a Barnes & Noble?

Posted on: 2014/5/22 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

As far as store 'selection', the stores do the selecting, not the Mall. Newport could offer to pay Tiffany or Cartier to move there and they'd refuse.

The essential difference is that at Short Hills, Tiffany and Cartier are stores. At Newport it's what the clientele name their kids.

I just lost about half of my Bombay Sapphire martini out my nose!

Posted on: 2014/5/21 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

As far as store 'selection', the stores do the selecting, not the Mall. Newport could offer to pay Tiffany or Cartier to move there and they'd refuse.

The essential difference is that at Short Hills, Tiffany and Cartier are stores. At Newport it's what the clientele name their kids.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Newport does a very nice job serving the demographics of the area.

Exactly! we agree on something.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Newport does a very nice job serving the demographics of the area.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Dated and an 80's feel, 'just like Newport'?

LMAO I think people are mad, Newport is doing well because people from other areas outside of dtjc support it heavily. Stand next to the Danforth or Richard st light rail on Saturday or Sunday and count the many people with 4-8 shopping bags coming from the mall. Also count the many NYC folks hopping on the PATH with their H&M shopping bags. Personally I am not a mall shopper, I prefer thrift shops and boutiques but many of my neighbors live in that mall and also Hudson Mall on 440 which I do go to when I need to go to Lowes.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
With the new luxury stores going into Brookfield place and the WTC, i don't think there will be a rush to relocate across the Hudson. I'd rather take a quick train ride into lower manhattan to pick up what i need (unless, of course, I have a craving for Cheesecake Factory and combine it with a drive to Shorthills to pick up a bauble at Cartier).

Posted on: 2014/5/21 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Bring in a few "high end" stores and make it similar to Short Hills so that more people from the surrounding Jersey Area will shop there.

Wow... so you think that the Newport Mall, with a few "high end" stores, would be similar to Short Hills. That's a HUGE stretch. I have to question if you have actually been to SH. SH and Newport Mall couldn't be any more dissimilar in terms of ambiance, store selection, restaurants and clientele.

You missed the point entirely. The point is that we should try to keep Jersey residents from going into Manhattan to shop at high end stores. People who don't have access to cars can come easily to Newport via public transportation. And yes, in fact I only shop at Short Hills. Its an OK mall. It's dated and has an 80s feel to it just like Newport Mall. Store selection is a simple fix. Clientele is determined by store selection. Restaurants at Newport Mall will fail. There are far better options within the DTJC area than a mall could ever compete with.

Dated and an 80's feel, 'just like Newport'?

I take it you're kidding when you say you've been there. 'OK' mall? It's one of the top three in sales per square foot in the US.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 21:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
I think if JC was smarter than the average bear, we would have already tried to bring in the Nordstroms and Neimen Marcus type stores to the Newport Mall. Knowing that these stores are primarily mall anchor stores, and are less likely to head to Manhattan, we should have had them move into the mall already. I've lived in DTJC for over a decade and I have watched the mall change (for the better) and I mostly do my shopping there. What I feel they do need to improve on is the movie theatre.

Additionally, enticing shoppers to only spend 3.5% vs Manhattans' 8.75%, should help. And yeah, if BJs was smart, they would start a delivery service (for a nominal fee) to Manhattan. I know plenty of people who come to JC to go to BJs to get supplies.

Having said all of this; I think Newport Mall should remain. All they need to do is up their game. Bring in a few "high end" stores and make it similar to Short Hills so that more people from the surrounding Jersey Area will shop there.

It's not up to JC to determine what retailers are in the mall it is the task of Simon Properties, the owners of the mall to bring in high end retailers. JC demographics are the determiner as to what retailers will be in the mall. For now JC is still a dollar store demographic but that is changing.

Yep! That's what I meant. We should coax Simon Malls to bring in higher end store. Gone are the JC days of JC Penny and Sears. Let's bring in a Neiman Marcus and a Nordstrom!

Posted on: 2014/5/21 20:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Bring in a few "high end" stores and make it similar to Short Hills so that more people from the surrounding Jersey Area will shop there.

Wow... so you think that the Newport Mall, with a few "high end" stores, would be similar to Short Hills. That's a HUGE stretch. I have to question if you have actually been to SH. SH and Newport Mall couldn't be any more dissimilar in terms of ambiance, store selection, restaurants and clientele.

You missed the point entirely. The point is that we should try to keep Jersey residents from going into Manhattan to shop at high end stores. People who don't have access to cars can come easily to Newport via public transportation. And yes, in fact I only shop at Short Hills. Its an OK mall. It's dated and has an 80s feel to it just like Newport Mall. Store selection is a simple fix. Clientele is determined by store selection. Restaurants at Newport Mall will fail. There are far better options within the DTJC area than a mall could ever compete with.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
I think if JC was smarter than the average bear, we would have already tried to bring in the Nordstroms and Neimen Marcus type stores to the Newport Mall. Knowing that these stores are primarily mall anchor stores, and are less likely to head to Manhattan, we should have had them move into the mall already. I've lived in DTJC for over a decade and I have watched the mall change (for the better) and I mostly do my shopping there. What I feel they do need to improve on is the movie theatre.

Additionally, enticing shoppers to only spend 3.5% vs Manhattans' 8.75%, should help. And yeah, if BJs was smart, they would start a delivery service (for a nominal fee) to Manhattan. I know plenty of people who come to JC to go to BJs to get supplies.

Having said all of this; I think Newport Mall should remain. All they need to do is up their game. Bring in a few "high end" stores and make it similar to Short Hills so that more people from the surrounding Jersey Area will shop there.

It's not up to JC to determine what retailers are in the mall it is the task of Simon Properties, the owners of the mall to bring in high end retailers. JC demographics are the determiner as to what retailers will be in the mall. For now JC is still a dollar store demographic but that is changing.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
I think if JC was smarter than the average bear, we would have already tried to bring in the Nordstroms and Neimen Marcus type stores to the Newport Mall. Knowing that these stores are primarily mall anchor stores, and are less likely to head to Manhattan, we should have had them move into the mall already .

I might be wrong, but isn't the mall owned by Simon? I think it' up to them to detemine the tenants, not JC.

http://www.simon.com/mall/newport-centre

Posted on: 2014/5/21 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/21 15:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/21 14:43

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017