Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Moving to Greenville
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I remember when the MLK HUB first opened up. It didn't go well for the stores there. An auto parts store and the grocery store were basically getting looted by the locals. I recall an article in the JJ about a gang that went wild, trashing aisles in the grocery store.

I am guessing you have not been there in years, McGreevey and Shea are there now. So the vibe is quite different. Also the hub is not GV.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when the MLK HUB first opened up. It didn't go well for the stores there. An auto parts store and the grocery store were basically getting looted by the locals. I recall an article in the JJ about a gang that went wild, trashing aisles in the grocery store.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 19:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 14:34
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
That's great to hear. It takes a joint effort from local government and the community to make it a better place as well as people who believe in the area to help make a difference. That's a positive sign.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
As a resident of GV Fulop is doing an awesome job. Less loitering, more foot patrols we have had three new businesses open up on Ocean ave and a Organic food shop on MLK.

I am starting to see more normal folks on Ocean not just the strung out and hopeless.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 17:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I actually heard about that from a long time resident. That's nuts! Hopefully those days are behind?...

Posted on: 2014/5/19 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I take it Greenville is on its way back. When I first moved to Hudson County, you would have had to trade your car for one of these in order to travel safely:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/19 17:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
A great example of what I'm speaking on.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

159k in GV

Resized Image

$898,000 in SP BK

The difference is price and time... SP is more than hour from lower Manhattan, GV is about 35 min

Posted on: 2014/5/19 17:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
For us, it's all about JC when we move. Brooklyn was cool, but we really felt no sense of community here. We are getting out out bc real estate prices were way out of reach (we saw a fixer upper in Sunset Park for close to a million dollars) and we want a bigger space for our kids. I welcome a place that has some character, and look forward to exploring all JC has to offer. I've heard nothing bad about JC from friends who live here, and other than bad blocks here and there, that makes our decision to move out of BK a solid one. We will have to see when we get there and get day to day life going on. Thanks again-

Posted on: 2014/5/19 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Greenville's rep is no worst than Bed-Stuy, or any other neighborhood that has gentrified. My coworkers kill me when they talk about Bed-Stuy like its heaven. LMAO. The downside of GV you feel like you are in the south, folks move slow here and they rarely go to NYC.

They move slow because they have no agenda or cultural interests. You have to be a mover and shaker. It's not always about New York though.

My neighbor owned his house since 1967 and the last time he was in NYC was in 1987. He says NYC is dangerous and expensive LOL

Posted on: 2014/5/19 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I apologize for not mentioning this prior, but it is Preservation Month in JC and yesterday they had a walking tour of Greenville:

Quote:
Sunday, May 18, 2014, 2 pm: Greenville: A Walking Tour with Historian Patrick Shalhoub. Meet at the Danforth Avenue Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Station. $5; $3 for seniors and students. Join historian, New Jersey City University librarian and author Patrick Shalhoub on this exclusive Preservation Month event celebrating the southeast section of the city's historic Greenville district. Greenville landmarks will be highlighted, including the Greenville Reformed Church, Public School No. 20, Ferris Triangle, St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church and School, The Henry Lembeck Mansion/St. Ann's Home, and the Hudson & Lembeck Buildings & Greenville Bank, among other landmarks. More information: PShalhoub@njcu.edu

I had taken it and found it was rather interesting. There are a lot of beautiful buildings around and many of the areas really are quite safe. The issues there are the same as with much of JC... block by block it varies.

The most threatening parts of GV are Ocean and MLK where loitering takes place.. but I make a note to speak to everyone on the AVE and Drive that way everyone knows me as the dude with the long hair that always says hello. One dude even called me Jesus. LOL I speak to the drunks and dealers because they seem to look out for me because I acknowledge them and gave them a shout out.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Greenville's rep is no worst than Bed-Stuy, or any other neighborhood that has gentrified. My coworkers kill me when they talk about Bed-Stuy like its heaven. LMAO. The downside of GV you feel like you are in the south, folks move slow here and they rarely go to NYC.

They move slow because they have no agenda or cultural interests. You have to be a mover and shaker. It's not always about New York though.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 15:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I apologize for not mentioning this prior, but it is Preservation Month in JC and yesterday they had a walking tour of Greenville:

Quote:
Sunday, May 18, 2014, 2 pm: Greenville: A Walking Tour with Historian Patrick Shalhoub. Meet at the Danforth Avenue Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Station. $5; $3 for seniors and students. Join historian, New Jersey City University librarian and author Patrick Shalhoub on this exclusive Preservation Month event celebrating the southeast section of the city's historic Greenville district. Greenville landmarks will be highlighted, including the Greenville Reformed Church, Public School No. 20, Ferris Triangle, St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church and School, The Henry Lembeck Mansion/St. Ann's Home, and the Hudson & Lembeck Buildings & Greenville Bank, among other landmarks. More information: PShalhoub@njcu.edu

I had taken it and found it was rather interesting. There are a lot of beautiful buildings around and many of the areas really are quite safe. The issues there are the same as with much of JC... block by block it varies.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 15:45
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ChampionSound wrote:
Maybe GV has a bad rep, but we are willing to take a chance. Thanks again for the input.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 15:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Appreciate all the feedback. We don't have to worry about parking as we have a driveway, and are looking forward to getting involved with some of the organizations/ meetings that were mentioned in this thread. I guess whether to say GV is "up and coming" is debatable according to the board, but the woman we bought our house from said she lived there for 30 years and had no problems. She said it was a lovely pocket of JC. All in all, for the proximity to NYC and the fact our kids will have a yard and we will have a space of our own that is about 5x the size of what we pay in BK far outweighs some of the issues we might encounter here in BK or other areas getting redeveloped. Maybe GV has a bad rep, but we are willing to take a chance. Thanks again for the input.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
No offense but it's kind of a push to call Greenville up and coming- a lot of people would say DTJC is up and coming.

Also, DT still had Newport in the 90s. Greenville has nothing like that.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 17:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I currently live on Danforth between Ocean and Garfield and it is very peaceful around here. Everyone in the neighborhood is very friendly and down-to-earth. I have no problem with parking (not sure where the other poster is having this issue) besides the 8am street sweeping and jockeying to be on the 'good-side' if I am not leaving that early, but I can always find a spot on the block. I walk my dogs all over the area and never feel unsafe. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
I live in that neighborhood. Very peaceful. Rarely hear about any crime. Feels very safe, even at night.

I agree, you feel like you are really, really far away from NYC until you look over your shoulder and see the NYC sky line peeping out from the trees. I almost purchased a place on Princeton, but it had no parking. to the OP good luck!

I think most people associate GV with Ocean AVE and MLK Drive, but the reality is we share Ocean Ave with BeLa and MLK starts in BeLa and does not continue to the Southern Section of GV and Ocean ave becomes dead due to the cemetery as you go up towards Bayonne (no pun intended)

For example, I lucked out with my section of Ocean ave, it begins with day care centers, fire house, a market, gallery, bakery and liquor store and pizzeria and not a lot of loitering we get some but its not threatening in my view. You go further down to the southern section of Ocean there is not much retail stores and then it becomes bungalow houses before you reach Bayonne.

The section of town the OP is purchasing has no MLK Drive up that way and Ocean Ave is more sleepy due to the cemetery and one family houses. Once you get pass Danforth and Ocean there a few more retail spaces and beautiful buildings by Lembeck.

GV is a small island and not really a neighborhood so each section varies. I prefer the New York Bay side because we get to see NYC while the West side gets to see Newark.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 12:56

Edited by user1111 on 2014/5/16 13:14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I live in that neighborhood. Very peaceful. Rarely hear about any crime. Feels very safe, even at night.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 12:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
No hard feelings Brewster but it was my point of view at that time of the area, obviously I didn't live and didn't know the neighborhoods. JC downtown wasn't known as a safe and friendly neighborhood overall. Same thing now people are scared to go outside of the areas they think are safe and friendly, there are beautiful neighborhoods outside of JC downtown. Crime can happen anywhere.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Also go to your Police Captain's meeting for the area you live in. The captain is the head cop of that district and can clarify what is being delagated.
http://njjcpd.org/captains-meetings
South District - 1st Wednesday of the month (except July & August) at 7:00 p.m.
St. Paul's Convent at 20 Greenville Avenue, in the basement

Posted on: 2014/5/16 12:10
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Qiu001 wrote:
There a lot of people/transfers that foget or don't know how bad the downtown area was 10-12 years ago and trust me it was really really bad.

I know everyone wants to believe that their neighborhood is on the rise, and maybe yours might be, but the statement about Downtown is utter nonsense. I moved here in 97, and it was (in my opinion) better then than any other area is today by metrics of crime and quality of life. There were pockets like the area W of Monmouth & S of Newark, but you'd have to go back at least before the late 80's RE boom to find a bad Downtown.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 2:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Not exactly from that area but around.
There a lot of people/transfers that foget or don't know how bad the downtown area was 10-12 years ago and trust me it was really really bad. Things change and it takes people to make that change. Make sure to check for your neighborhood association.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 1:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
We are well aware of what has happened there in the past. I have a lot of friends who live in JC, who never have one bad word to say about living here. After speaking with them, they gave us a heads up, and we fell in love with our house. I love the fact that there is a city feel, lots of arts, and our proximity to Liberty State Park. All a plus. We are really looking forward to settling in and enjoying what JC has to offer. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome the the neighborhood.

This part of GV to me has a secluded country feel.
Its very quite back there, too quite for my taste.
Not sure what your interest are but Bayside Park is down the road which has tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball diamonds, and football. The park has lots of hills which draws a huge skate board community. I can walk to Liberty State Park in about 10 min (I am a fast walker and if you cut across the Richard Light rail its like 5 min.
Pole Racing is GV even though they advertise as behind LSP. I go there quite often when I have friends in town.
Laico's in not too close but a 8 min car ride, Its a great Italian restaurant.
Project Greenville is on W infield which has great events regulary.
Nuradeen Gallery is on Ocean Ave which has interesting shows from Art, Spoken Word, and children Painting workshops.
The Bowling Alley is not too far from you, they have tons of leagues there from Teachers Unions to LGBT community night.
The Bethune Center is 18 min walk and 5 min car ride from there, I use it a lot. They have yoga, Tai Chi classes for adults and children, Bootcamp @ 6 AM and they recently added cooking classes.
The closest supermarket is Twin City I think its one of the better supermarket in JC on Garfield (super clean)
We are not far from DTJC which is 3 stops on the light rail and Bayonne is the next stop in the opposite direction so there are plenty of shops that way.
We just had a meeting with Mayor Fulop regarding Ocean AVE and we have started a pilot program near Sweet 4 Miles Bakery and Nuradeen Gallery where we are doing clean ups and planting planters in front of the store fronts.
I have been up here 3 years never had anything bad happen to me. my home, or my car.
Its a chill laid back place IMO and if you are from BK like me its not as scary as most make it. If you like thrift shopping be sure to check out Thriftique by NJCU I love this place.

If you are interested we are having a community meeting this coming Tuesday at Nuradeen Gallery @ 424 Ocean Ave
Jersey City, NJ 07305 at 7 PM. We meet monthly and the area is growing rapidly.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 0:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/12 22:31
From 07305
Group:
Registered Users
Please check your inbox. I can tell you Everything about this Area.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Crime is everywhere and don't have high expectations - Just do the basics and you'll be fine

1. Basic security for home and car
2. Teach the kids some basic street smarts and safety
3. Get to know your neighbors and keep in touch with any neighborhood associations

Posted on: 2014/5/15 23:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
1. The estimated Greenville crime index is 35% higher than the Jersey City average and and the Jersey City crime index is 30% higher than the New Jersey average.

2. The estimated Greenville violent crime rate is 35% higher than the Jersey City average and the Jersey City violent crime rate is 164% higher than the New Jersey average.

3. The estimated Greenville property crime rate is 35% higher than the Jersey City average and and the Jersey City property crime rate is 12% higher than the New Jersey average.

http://www.areavibes.com/jersey+city-nj/greenville/crime/

Also interesting:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/jersey-city/crime/

For comparison to the heights.

The estimated The Heights crime index is 32% higher than the Jersey City average and and the Jersey City crime index is 30% higher than the New Jersey average.
The estimated The Heights violent crime rate is 32% higher than the Jersey City average and and the Jersey City violent crime rate is 164% higher than the New Jersey average.
The estimated The Heights property crime rate is 32% higher than the Jersey City average and and the Jersey City property crime rate is 12% higher than the New Jersey average.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 23:46
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
1. The estimated Greenville crime index is 35% higher than the Jersey City average and and the Jersey City crime index is 30% higher than the New Jersey average.

2. The estimated Greenville violent crime rate is 35% higher than the Jersey City average and the Jersey City violent crime rate is 164% higher than the New Jersey average.

3. The estimated Greenville property crime rate is 35% higher than the Jersey City average and and the Jersey City property crime rate is 12% higher than the New Jersey average.

http://www.areavibes.com/jersey+city-nj/greenville/crime/

Also interesting:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/jersey-city/crime/

Posted on: 2014/5/15 23:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
The schools are not good so is best for your kids to go to private schools. The areas west of JFK blvd are the safest, but in any case it is best for your to invest in a home security system. You can ride a bike to liberty state park which is amazing. I hope you have a parking space since trying to find a parking space here is a hassle. For the most part I've been happy living here and my neighborhoods who are homeowners are nice. The Danforth area is nice but just remember this isn't downtown. Since I've been here it has improved but there have been hiccups.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 23:37
ಠ_ಠ

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017