Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: To JC Bikers Who Ride on Sidewalks...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
OK, for those who are not aware, that animated gif / video is a (compressed) compilation of a satire video made by one of the Neistat Brothers to prove a point. He had been ticketed by police for leaving the bike line while a patrol car was blocking it. Let that sink in... A policeman parks his patrol car over a bike lane, blocking it, and then proceeds to issue a ticket to a cyclist for "leaving" the blocked lane to get around his patrol car.

Anyway, iirc, when he questioned the policeman, he was told he couldn't leave the bike lane. So, he proceeded to make a video of the absurdity of not being able to leave a bike lane when it is obstructed by something. It is a funny video. You can look up a bunch of videos by the Neistat Brothers in YouTube. They even had a short lived series in HBO. Most of their videos are related to biking all over NYC, but they go into other topics.

I think there is only one person on here who didn't get the satire. I don't want to mention names but his initials are fat-ass-bike. WHOOPS!

Posted on: 2014/5/19 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Almost got hit by a guy riding his bike on the sidewalk on Saturday. He was going very fast. I told him he shouldn't be riding on the sidewalk. He told me to #OOPS# off. Lovely.

Disappointing and unfortunate. As a cyclist, I hate to hear stories like these. It makes others despise or distrust cyclists. That is partly the reason why I am so adamant (or, as some here have called me, dogmatic) about rules like not riding on sidewalks. We belong on the road. Truly that simple.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
OK, for those who are not aware, that animated gif / video is a (compressed) compilation of a satire video made by one of the Neistat Brothers to prove a point. He had been ticketed by police for leaving the bike line while a patrol car was blocking it. Let that sink in... A policeman parks his patrol car over a bike lane, blocking it, and then proceeds to issue a ticket to a cyclist for "leaving" the blocked lane to get around his patrol car.

Anyway, iirc, when he questioned the policeman, he was told he couldn't leave the bike lane. So, he proceeded to make a video of the absurdity of not being able to leave a bike lane when it is obstructed by something. It is a funny video. You can look up a bunch of videos by the Neistat Brothers in YouTube. They even had a short lived series in HBO. Most of their videos are related to biking all over NYC, but they go into other topics.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Almost got hit by a guy riding his bike on the sidewalk on Saturday. He was going very fast. I told him he shouldn't be riding on the sidewalk. He told me to #OOPS# off. Lovely.

Ah ha prooves my point there JadedJC & T-Bird

Posted on: 2014/5/19 13:16
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Resized Image

This guy is a hazard to himself - Does he stop at red lights or does he just plow through without looking.

The clip make this guy dumb-ass of the week and if he was on the sidewalk, he'd be hitting everyone walking or standing still!

WTF is wrong with you?! You are having a bad week on JC List.

Don't understand - I make a comment about a video of some dumb-ass riding a bike and you call WTF ! Sounds like you're the one having a bad week and looking to blow off some steam - Do yourself a favor and kick your dog if it helps vent your frustrations

I guess you have zero sense of irony.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/19 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Resized Image

This guy is a hazard to himself - Does he stop at red lights or does he just plow through without looking.

The clip make this guy dumb-ass of the week and if he was on the sidewalk, he'd be hitting everyone walking or standing still!

Don't understand - I make a comment about a video of some dumb-ass riding a bike and you call WTF ! Sounds like you're the one having a bad week and looking to blow off some steam - Do yourself a favor and kick your dog if it helps vent your frustrations

Posted on: 2014/5/19 3:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/19 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
A much better presentation on the issue - The video at the end is very good.

http://www.biketoworkblog.com/3-reaso ... -bicycle-on-the-sidewalk/

Posted on: 2014/5/19 3:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/19 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/19 2:57
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
More than one person justified riding on the sidewalk.

Also, the cops don't ticket bikers the way they tickets cars or pedestrians.

Cars have to obey lights, pedestrians walk signals, but for bikes, it's neither. They ride on the sidewalk or ride in the middle of car traffic and don't get over.

Not to mention all the delivery drivers not on this board that are awful- more so in the city than here but still.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Jaded - you've been around long enough to know not to take Heights seriously, let alone respond to him.

Nyc seems to recognize these stereotypes as you call it. The delivery guys are notorious for zipping around town and on sidewalks. Tickets are given to the restaurant owners and they are ripping mad because their insurance rates are skyrocketing. When patterns surface it is noticed and rates go up.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Here in reality, where people have to choice to make their own decisions instead of following the rules for their own sake, the practicality of riding on the sidewalk is specific to the situation, and the conduct and bike-handling skills of the rider. Yes, some people do make poor decisions and are squirrely and reckless on a bicycle, but when the number of times most city dwelling adults have been in close proximity to people riding their bicycles on a sidewalk is at least in the five-digit range?with few memorable consequences?a ?thou shalt not? attitude doesn?t seem appropriate.

In my experience from training and racing a bicycle for many years and having the scars to show for it, I?m comfortable on the road under almost any conditions. However, not everyone feels that way and it would be wrong to fault them for it, especially in a region where so many drivers use the gas pedal to aggressively vent their frustrations with life. Fear, rational or not, shouldn?t preclude an individual from hopping on a bicycle and tooling along the sidewalk if they do it well enough and where it isn?t inappropriate.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just curious, but how many of you who walk down Newark to the PATH each morning have seen the woman on the old beach cruiser who has the yellow flowers in her basket and helmet? If you've seen how she navigates the streets, mark my words, we'll be adding another ghost bike downtown.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
A simple cardboard stencil and chalk might work !

Resized Image

or maybe lobby cityhall for some signs in specific areas of concern - see link

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/I ... es/WalkBikeOnSidewalk.png

Posted on: 2014/5/16 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
It should be -- if you are caught riding on the sidewalk for any reason you lose your bike on the spot and get a ticket.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Jaded - you've been around long enough to know not to take Heights seriously, let alone respond to him.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Most people I see that ride bicycles on sidewalks do not fit the usual cyclist profile. They seem rude, angry, in a rush, no helmet, and against every rule out there. I doubt any of them are reading this thread. Most either are day laborers, deliverymen, or resort to riding a beater bike because of losing their driver's license. Some are arrogant when you try to instill the rules of the road to them. An older man who said he was having a good day reprimanded me otherwise; he would have punched me in the nose. I gained his respect by chatting with him and mentioning the upcoming Ward Tour. I will continue to be a cycling disciple and preach the gospel here in J.C.

Fer fark's sake, stop stereotyping. I have seen people of all ages, gender and socioeconomic class riding their bikes on the sidewalk here. Hipster, yuppie, deliverymen, old guy - you name it. It's especially obnoxious when they do it on Grove Street, where the sidewalks are usually full of pedestrians and there are actually bike lanes. On the brighter side, I did recently see a father teaching his son how to ride properly on the street. Both were wearing helmets, going with the flow of traffic and the dad was explaining the importance of looking out for people opening car doors. ALL scofflaw cyclists are angry and curse when you ask them not to ride on the sidewalk. The only time I got an apology was from some guy in SoHo who claimed riding on the cobblestone street hurt his balls.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Most people I see that ride bicycles on sidewalks do not fit the usual cyclist profile. They seem rude, angry, in a rush, no helmet, and against every rule out there. I doubt any of them are reading this thread. Most either are day laborers, deliverymen, or resort to riding a beater bike because of losing their driver's license. Some are arrogant when you try to instill the rules of the road to them. An older man who said he was having a good day reprimanded me otherwise; he would have punched me in the nose. I gained his respect by chatting with him and mentioning the upcoming Ward Tour. I will continue to be a cycling disciple and preach the gospel here in J.C.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
I'm a cyclist.
Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Roads are for cars and bikes.
Yes, it's that simple.

You're top notch in my book !

Posted on: 2014/5/16 11:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/9 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
This could and should be a helpful topic, but as usual, this forum descends into a kindergarten of oughts, shoulds, and agendas. My Gf and I bike. We follow the rules. We wear helmets because we are of a certain age and are no longer idiot enough to think that large metal boxes moving into us, won't hurt us. Or, that inconsiderate people on bikes, riding against the traffic, won't blindside us. Or that inconsiderate people typing away whilst looking down can't ran into us, whether or not we are obeying every rule or not....they can.

Similarly, we choose not to be the idiot on the bike who rides in a place that is designated for people on their feet, who are not obliged to be expectant of your two blurring wheels, or the rider who decides that going against traffic, because it is simpler, faster, cooler, safer, or just because he can. There are supposed to be guidelines and rules to allow for everyone's safety. Those who don't get this will...when they slam the bike into the baby stroller and get six broken bones I the face as well a s very well deserved lawsuit.

This forum should be above the tit for tat shit. None of us is perfect. We all err. But can't we agree that these rules are meant to protect us and not hurt? Let alone the conspiracies. Wasn't expecting that one at all!

Posted on: 2014/5/16 7:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

jedo1 wrote:
...If you're too SCARED to ride on the street without a bike lane, then do everyone a favor and sell your bike, then you won't have everyone quietly wondering why you're such a moron.

Thanks!

Why didn't I think of that!? Get rid of my bike, and be one more d-bag in a car contributing to the problem of congestion, air-pollution, paving over of every scrap of grass sidewalk median for another parking spot.

No. The majority of the people on this board push the car-centric status quo, and they are creating more problems than just people riding their bikes on the sidewalk. We live in a CITY for Pete's sake, yet too many people carry on like this is Levittown West...

Here is a little something to add to the conversational fray - a small but growing contingent of bicycle riders are arguing that the push to mandate helmet use is a plot by the automobile industry to promote a culture of fear, to dissuade people from riding bikes at all - http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/whats-with-all-the-helmet-hati Hmmm...

That last comment was ridiculous. To say, ""Here is a little something to add to the conversational fray - a small but growing contingent of bicycle riders are arguing that the push to mandate helmet use is a plot by the automobile industry to promote a culture of fear, to dissuade people from riding bikes at all -" Do you think the automobile industry plotted to force motorcyclists into wearing helmets? Only an idiot wouldn't wear a helmet on a motorcycle or a bicycle!
Also, we are off the subject now. The subject is about people who ride their bikes on the sidewalk. If bicycles are allowed on the sidewalks, perhaps the next thing will be to accept motorcycles on the sidewalks as well? I do wish people would speak up when they see infractions like this. Riding on the sidewalk is a form of aggression and makes for an uncivilized society. (a similar act of aggression is when people drop their trash on the ground and keep walking). Why should we pay union members to have to clean up after irresponsible individuals? I am damned sick of it.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 5:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:

I ride a bike (sometimes slowly on the sidewalk but not on a busy or narrow one)
I drive a car but sometimes dont obey all the traffic laws.
I walk and cross against the light or not at an intersection all the time.

Cry about it, then tell me with a straight face that you dont do any of these things or dont break any rules.
I'm a bad person and so are you.

The difference is that NO ONE in here is trying to rationalize being a bad driver. Or, a bad pedestrian. No one is saying, I speed all over town because I feel safer doing so, and I dont want to be robbed while stopped at a light. What we have is a few cyclists trying to rationalize their (illegal) behavior. It really is THAT simple. Bikes belong on the road. The more cyclist stick to that, and reinforce the concept of sharing the road on other cyclist and drivers, the better off everyone will be over the long term.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Have you guys seen the deaths and hit and runs lately o cyclist?

No, I have not. Care to share?

http://7online.com/archive/9439917/
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ty_woman_arrested_in.html

Two deaths over the past year. Both tragic events and I am sure any sensible person would be upset about it. And, yet it is only two deaths. You made it sound like we have an epidemic of cyclist deaths and hit and runs, and that is simply not true. Sorry, but you are being alarmist.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
I'm a cyclist.

Yes, it's that simple.

I love you.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Have you guys seen the deaths and hit and runs lately o cyclist?

No, I have not. Care to share?

http://7online.com/archive/9439917/
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ty_woman_arrested_in.html

Posted on: 2014/5/15 21:40
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Bad drivers are bad drivers. Whether in a car or on a bike or even on foot. People do dumb stuff but there is nothing scarier than a bad driver behind the wheel of a car. If you run Stop-Signs, fail to yield to pedestrians or speed on residential streets then you are a bad driver. You may not think so because you haven't had an accident yet or been ticketed yet but you ARE a terrible driver.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

I ride a bike (sometimes slowly on the sidewalk but not on a busy or narrow one)
I drive a car but sometimes dont obey all the traffic laws.
I walk and cross against the light or not at an intersection all the time.

Cry about it, then tell me with a straight face that you dont do any of these things or dont break any rules.
I'm a bad person and so are you.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 20:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a cyclist.

Yes, it's that simple.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 19:41

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017