Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: What does the future hold for The Heights?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Cadillac with Georgia licenses plates, drug deal gone bad I bet.

What's your point exactly? It seems like lots of people here in JCLIST (and, probably, all over DTJC) think that if crime is related to drug dealers, or low lifes, it is OK and not of importance and/or concern. The saying usually goes "hey, one low life taking out another low life... Winning! One less low life". The problem with this line of thinking is that (invariably) sooner or later this "self contained" pockets of crime and violence will spill out and start affecting the rest of population. If you look around at other places (both domestically, and internationally) this holds true. You can't turn a blind eye and say "drug deal gone bad, no implications for me/us". If you let drug dealers and criminals act with impunity, their actions and aims will grow bolder and bigger. And, at some point, that criminality that wasn't impacting you will start to encroach upon you.

I have to say, I had the same thought as greenville did - even after having read the articles where the victim struck me as a regular guy. It's a tragedy no matter what for his family and friends, and our thoughts should be with them at an awful time like this, but - and I may be stretching with this "but" - life is not like a CSI episode, with totally random innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire. It's rarely a surprise to find that crime most often affects those who stay too close to criminal elements/environments.

And this is very close to my block, and it does worry me, but at the same time drugs are not even remotely my scene so I'm not overly concerned it's encroaching.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/5 21:46
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:

What's your point exactly? It seems like lots of people here in JCLIST (and, probably, all over DTJC) think that if crime is related to drug dealers, or low lifes, it is OK and not of importance and/or concern. The saying usually goes "hey, one low life taking out another low life... Winning! One less low life". The problem with this line of thinking is that (invariably) sooner or later this "self contained" pockets of crime and violence will spill out and start affecting the rest of population. If you look around at other places (both domestically, and internationally) this holds true. You can't turn a blind eye and say "drug deal gone bad, no implications for me/us". If you let drug dealers and criminals act with impunity, their actions and aims will grow bolder and bigger. And, at some point, that criminality that wasn't impacting you will start to encroach upon you.

It may not be "Winning!" but it's certainly not as bad, as when there is an innocent victim involved. In the posters defense, I didn't see them post a smiley face, or any sign of glee. They were just speculating.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/5 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/5 19:04
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/5 18:19
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
RLS Media is reporting a fatal shooting today on Palisade Avenue in the Heights. On National Night Out day.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marullos88 wrote:
I live in the Heights and I love it. I find transportation to be very easy, but I live in the Northeastern section 3 blocks from buses, 4 blocks from light rail.

The intersection of Congress and Palisade is like the Center of the Transportation Universe for me. If I could have afforded a house here, I would have bought here. Manhattan friends from the UWS can easily take jitneys, the 123 or the 119 to come visit. And viceversa. I take the bus or lightrail to Hoboken PATH -by the way, I LOVE being able to use the Hoboken PATH. A lot less people in it. And we all have to go through the Hoboken station on the weekends/late nights.

I'm in the process of buying a house near the garfield light rail station and I'm sad I'll be using the Grove st Path again. I say again because I used to live in DTJC and remember envying the Hoboken PATH users so much. Their trains seemed less crowded, and for some weird reason, more frequent. Later I experienced this to be true, ha!

I will also miss the jitneys a lot, they are awesome, they take you everywhere, and there is one every 2 minutes! If only NJTransit were so reliable.

I do think that light rail stations are the real attraction when you don't know the neighborhood well enough to know if the buses are a good option. And, my husband hates all buses so he has a completely different view on this issue. He's all about the light rail.

Regarding the future of the Heights - I think it will continue to apprecciate, will get more interesting businesses and so on. There are two very active and very committed neighborhood associations that are making a big difference. And now there's a fancy coffee shop. Studies show that fancy coffee shops are basically the 'IT' factor associated with a neighborhood increase in property values, income levels, etc. Yes, it did feel ridiculous to write that sentence.

Plus, the Heights is very attractive to those coming from Hoboken since they can still walk to all the Hoboken bars/friends, or take the bus/light rail/.

All that said, I'm very excited to get know my new upcoming neighborhood and join the local associations and then come here and defend it on jclist!

I rode the jitney for 3 blocks to the PATH once in DTJC when it was freezing outside and after getting off, I promptly went back home and burned my suit for fear that I contracted an unknown uncurable disease.

It's nice to know that other people enjoy it though...

Posted on: 2014/8/5 18:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the Heights and I love it. I find transportation to be very easy, but I live in the Northeastern section 3 blocks from buses, 4 blocks from light rail.

The intersection of Congress and Palisade is like the Center of the Transportation Universe for me. If I could have afforded a house here, I would have bought here. Manhattan friends from the UWS can easily take jitneys, the 123 or the 119 to come visit. And viceversa. I take the bus or lightrail to Hoboken PATH -by the way, I LOVE being able to use the Hoboken PATH. A lot less people in it. And we all have to go through the Hoboken station on the weekends/late nights.

I'm in the process of buying a house near the garfield light rail station and I'm sad I'll be using the Grove st Path again. I say again because I used to live in DTJC and remember envying the Hoboken PATH users so much. Their trains seemed less crowded, and for some weird reason, more frequent. Later I experienced this to be true, ha!

I will also miss the jitneys a lot, they are awesome, they take you everywhere, and there is one every 2 minutes! If only NJTransit were so reliable.

I do think that light rail stations are the real attraction when you don't know the neighborhood well enough to know if the buses are a good option. And, my husband hates all buses so he has a completely different view on this issue. He's all about the light rail.

Regarding the future of the Heights - I think it will continue to apprecciate, will get more interesting businesses and so on. There are two very active and very committed neighborhood associations that are making a big difference. And now there's a fancy coffee shop. Studies show that fancy coffee shops are basically the 'IT' factor associated with a neighborhood increase in property values, income levels, etc. Yes, it did feel ridiculous to write that sentence.

Plus, the Heights is very attractive to those coming from Hoboken since they can still walk to all the Hoboken bars/friends, or take the bus/light rail/.

All that said, I'm very excited to get know my new upcoming neighborhood and join the local associations and then come here and defend it on jclist!

Posted on: 2014/8/5 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

But what about what you quoted me on? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_transit The .

Agree it can work, if you have room for it. It would eliminate the problem of waiting for the bus, which is very late, only to have 3 buses show up at once. That used to drive me nuts back in the days when I took the 87 to work.

I just don't see it happening because our streets are too skinny and the need for street parking is too high.

And there's the core of the battle for the soul of JC, are we going to be transit centric or car centric. At the very least we need to convert a lot of these narrow north-south 2 ways all over town to one ways, that would speed up traffic a lot, including the buses.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
We have a shit load of buses up here and I avoid all of them. I can catch a bus on Ocean that will take me to Journal Square in 15 min, or take it to Grove street. I think many of the newer people moving in prefer the rail, yes its more expensive than the bus(the bus is only $1.50) but its more reliable when it comes to scheduling.

I personally think buses are so 1980's. Maybe a faster bus might help, I avoid buses here because they stop at almost every corner.. WHY? Check this out Fast Buses vs. Light Rail: You Decide

Posted on: 2014/5/14 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

But what about what you quoted me on? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_transit The .

Agree it can work, if you have room for it. It would eliminate the problem of waiting for the bus, which is very late, only to have 3 buses show up at once. That used to drive me nuts back in the days when I took the 87 to work.

I just don't see it happening because our streets are too skinny and the need for street parking is too high.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 13:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
You guys need more light rails, I been seeing yuppies every weekend looking at properties in my area due to the light rail.

And you're welcome to them!

Anyway, there was a hipster at my bus stop the other morning. They figured out to use the 87. It's really not that hard.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

In real reality, what would be killer is what's known as BRT (bus rapid transit): make "bus only" lanes on Summit with express only stops, not every block or 2. Up to the Lincoln & PA terminal, down to JSQ Station. But talk about losing parking along one side of Summit the whole way and people would crap their pants.

Crap like this I always think about (sometimes at the expense of getting actual work done). The Bergen Arches have a right of ways available to tie them into the existing HBLR line.

Figuring out how to pay for it all is the killer. The Hudson Tubes (private company that ran the PATH) covered part of the cost by building office buildings above their stations in lower Manhattan. Maybe air rights to build some R-3/R-4 developments over the stations? Singapore does something similar to finance the expansion of their system. That was the best system I ever rode on back in 2000.

I just don't think a street level system will work in the Heights. Downtown had enough old right of ways to limit the street disruption. The Heights just doesn't have that. You need a heaven / hell strategy. You are going to build above or below.

But what about what you quoted me on? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_transit The infrastructure cost is minimal: a curb setting aside the one way from the BRT line, and installing a system which changes the lights for the bus similar to a light rail. Done. Except for people upset about losing the 2-way and parking.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

In real reality, what would be killer is what's known as BRT (bus rapid transit): make "bus only" lanes on Summit with express only stops, not every block or 2. Up to the Lincoln & PA terminal, down to JSQ Station. But talk about losing parking along one side of Summit the whole way and people would crap their pants.

Crap like this I always think about (sometimes at the expense of getting actual work done). The Bergen Arches have a right of ways available to tie them into the existing HBLR line.

Figuring out how to pay for it all is the killer. The Hudson Tubes (private company that ran the PATH) covered part of the cost by building office buildings above their stations in lower Manhattan. Maybe air rights to build some R-3/R-4 developments over the stations? Singapore does something similar to finance the expansion of their system. That was the best system I ever rode on back in 2000.

I just don't think a street level system will work in the Heights. Downtown had enough old right of ways to limit the street disruption. The Heights just doesn't have that. You need a heaven / hell strategy. You are going to build above or below.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

Apparently JC did have something like this back in the day.

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/PSNJ_Hoboken-Jersey_City_Elevated

Someone a while back posted engineering maps from the 40s that show the trolley routes and what parts were elevated.

There was an elevated section that ran between the streets on the South side of Ferry st.

The current bus routes pretty much follow the old trolley routes. The problems is that buses get caught in traffic and have way too many stops. PSE&G found that the trolleys with their track maintenance costs were just too expensive to operate. They would have disappeared sooner except WWII cut off our supply of rubber and left us with shortages of oil. At one point, they even put steel wheels on buses and ran them on the tracks when trolleys were already out of service.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
You guys need more light rails

user1111 wrote:
You guys need more light rails, I been seeing yuppies every

It would be awesome to have a subway version of the light rail under Central or Summit ave. Somehow I doubt the billion $s to build it will ever become available.

I guess you could build something like the Bangkok Sky Train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynU7bVE-QRU

Yeah, a JFK ELL train! actually, it would probably be more physically realistic, but politically unfeasible, to make Summit one way, and run a light rail on it like on Essex St all the way down to into the Bergen arches cut and then onto the 6th St embankment to the waterfront.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

user1111 wrote:
You guys need more light rails, I been seeing yuppies every

It would be awesome to have a subway version of the light rail under Central or Summit ave. Somehow I doubt the billion $s to build it will ever become available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynU7bVE-QRU[/quote]

Posted on: 2014/5/13 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
You guys need more light rails, I been seeing yuppies every weekend looking at properties in my area due to the light rail. If you guys had a few more light rail stations the heights would be more desirable then dtjc... no one I know trust jitneys. When I go to the heights it has the Bayonne feeling, a sleepy bedroom town.

It one of my biggest gripes about the Heights. It would be so much better if we had train service.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

user1111 wrote:
You guys need more light rails, I been seeing yuppies every [/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynU7bVE-QRU

Posted on: 2014/5/13 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
You guys need more light rails, I been seeing yuppies every weekend looking at properties in my area due to the light rail. If you guys had a few more light rail stations the heights would be more desirable then dtjc... no one I know trust jitneys. When I go to the heights it has the Bayonne feeling, a sleepy bedroom town.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Major advantage of the Heights: 75 - 120 ft above sea level. If you get flooding it's because a comet or really big meteor slammed into the earth, creating the mother of all tsunamis.

For LOLs, see what would happen here if the impact that helped create Chesapeake Bay happened today?

Put in 355 km to estimate the distance from impact

Posted on: 2014/5/13 22:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/27 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
When I first moved to Jersey City, I avoided looking at the Heights because of the distance to the PATH. However, I went to an open house at the lower end of the Heights (Sparrow Hill) and immediately felt a better vibe than in many other parts of the city including Journal Square. If anything, I think the area continues to improve. There are a lot a amenities that are lacking in other areas (numerous parks, Pershing Field, Pershing Field Pool, the Reservior, shopping on Central Ave -- although it could be improved, high elevation -- our baseement has been dry throughout all the storms). The North District Police Department is very active in keeping the area safe. Finally, the location has the advantage of having Jitneys that will get you directly into midtown Manhattan in 30 minutes and for $3.
The location is hard to beat for the price.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... edition.html#incart_river
The future is in the eyes and hands of the beholder.
The Reservoir up in the Heights conducts research of plant species and reviving aquatic life for grade school students.
Check out the photos at the end of the article.

Ohkaaaay...

Posted on: 2014/5/12 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... edition.html#incart_river
The future is in the eyes and hands of the beholder.
The Reservoir up in the Heights conducts research of plant species and reviving aquatic life for grade school students.
Check out the photos at the end of the article.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 13:43
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
the heights already has several smaller nabs....i think the collective heights is smaller than so brooklyn nabs

Posted on: 2013/12/20 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Baron-Bay wrote:
The Heights needs to be "broken up" into smaller neighborhoods. Just as Downtown is a collection of smaller parcels (Van Voorst, Paulus Hook, Hamilton Park, etc etc).

Anyone with an interest in the future of The Heights, realtors included, should lobby for this. The value cannot be overstated, I believe.

Smaller enclaves will foster civic pride and generate friendly competition. Realtors will find it easier to pitch houses and values will increase, in certain sections at first, but ultimately overall. There is an exciting sense of arrival and departure when, Downtown, you pass one of those attractive green signs that indicate a new region/neighborhood.

The Heights' character varies considerably throughout, and the new tags could capture this. Landmarks could provide the cues.

I agree! I know its overdone by realtors in Manhattan, where every few blocks is now a new, usually fake and lame, neighborhood. MiMa?! But it the Heights seems to really need to evolve into smaller, more manageable enclaves.

Should there be a contest? Do we get the Mayor's office involved?

Posted on: 2013/12/20 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

If I couldn't be in Downtown or Hoboken, my next choice would be JSQ- and I think most commuters would agree. 24/7 PATH to WTC and 33, right off 1/9, cheap cab to downtown or Hoboken- and some parts you can walk down Newark Ave to downtown anyway.

My understanding is that the public schools in the heights are a bit better though. And there is definitely more green space and more of a residential (as opposed to commercial) feel to the Heights compared to JSQ.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The transfer to the PATH (or schlep down 100 steps through Hoboken) will stymie growth. Though people who want views will check it out. Will be interesting to see if buildings like Troy Towers or Doric up the road in UC develop in the Heights.

If I couldn't be in Downtown or Hoboken, my next choice would be JSQ- and I think most commuters would agree. 24/7 PATH to WTC and 33, right off 1/9, cheap cab to downtown or Hoboken- and some parts you can walk down Newark Ave to downtown anyway.

PATH is better for commuting than the HBLR, despite the HBLR being better run- due to the pathetically low par the PATH sets for itself.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
My only question is, if somebody is priced out of DTJC, why wouldn't they move to a place in the outer boroughs that is cheaper than DTJC but has subway access? Or even JSQ?

As far as JSQ is concerned, I have yet to find an area that is attractive. There's no open space -- aside from the empty lots around the PATH --

I agree, however The Island behind JSQ is very lovely and prices are high, and nothing ever really goes up for sale there.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:46

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017