Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: PRESERVATION OF POWERHOUSE TO BEGIN
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
The Powerhouse Independent Theatre.....

That is a GREAT idea.

Posted on: 2014/8/31 5:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
you cant even walk on those streets and the triangle area when it's windy, garbage literally just blows into your face.

mayor fulop, just level the damn place, put some fake grass and few chairs and call it a day please.

we are now 5 years in since "breaking ground" and god knows how much wasted tax payer money to "stablize" this empty brick shell.

http://www.jcpowerhouse.org/updates/

Posted on: 2014/8/27 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
The comical thing is that in the letter from the mayor that accompanied this year's property tax bill, Fulop touted the powerhouse as one of the city's exciting upcoming projects.

I imagine this throw-away line will still be included in such letters two or three administrations from now.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

It's just another example of government failing where private enterprise and capitalism succeeds (I don't think Mana Contemporary got much city money, if any).

I don't know what their books look like, but Mana Contemporary is being funded by Moishe's Moving, which is active across the nation. I don't know whether or not the not-for-profit side (which is what, some exhibition spaces, a dance studio, and a couple of other things) is paying its own bills or being subsidized by the for-profit side (rental of artist's studios, art storage and services, etc.).

Posted on: 2014/8/27 9:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah I think the lack of progress of the Powerhouse, and also the Embankment, are really disappointing.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
anything?

what a joke.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
We have a redevelopment agency that issues "Redevelopment Bonds" for luxury housing, essentially functioning as an investment bank on behalf of developers. If they can come up with the money to help a developer build J Squared from scratch (giving a 30 year tax abatement for good measure), or funding to help a for-profit developer restore the Loews, then they can work out an arrangement with a developer to restore the Powerhouse.

We're demanding that the PANYNJ pay $400 million to the city in allegedly unpaid or underpaid taxes. Perhaps we also tell them to remove the transformer yards already, which will have to be moved no matter what happens to the Powerhouse.

Yes, the Powerhouse, through sustained neglect by the city and pigheadedness of the Port Authority, is in bad shape. Nevertheless it is the centerpiece of the purported Powerhouse Arts District, and with appropriate effort, could be adaptively reused.

Obviously this is not going to be $25 million spent to make a museum. But there are plenty of revenue generating endeavors that could work in a building like that.

The purported Powerhouse Arts District is not a real thing. It's an attempt to create an artsy neighborhood by fiat, for political gain (because plenty of airheaded people liked the idea that Jersey City was going to be "just like Soho", never mind that you can't just conjure Soho with a bunch of subsidies), which was always destined to failure. It shouldn't be taken seriously.

It's just another example of government failing where private enterprise and capitalism succeeds (I don't think Mana Contemporary got much city money, if any).

Posted on: 2014/5/23 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
We have a redevelopment agency that issues "Redevelopment Bonds" for luxury housing, essentially functioning as an investment bank on behalf of developers. If they can come up with the money to help a developer build J Squared from scratch (giving a 30 year tax abatement for good measure), or funding to help a for-profit developer restore the Loews, then they can work out an arrangement with a developer to restore the Powerhouse.

We're demanding that the PANYNJ pay $400 million to the city in allegedly unpaid or underpaid taxes. Perhaps we also tell them to remove the transformer yards already, which will have to be moved no matter what happens to the Powerhouse.

Yes, the Powerhouse, through sustained neglect by the city and pigheadedness of the Port Authority, is in bad shape. Nevertheless it is the centerpiece of the purported Powerhouse Arts District, and with appropriate effort, could be adaptively reused.

Obviously this is not going to be $25 million spent to make a museum. But there are plenty of revenue generating endeavors that could work in a building like that.

The purported Powerhouse Arts District is not a real thing. It's an attempt to create an artsy neighborhood by fiat, for political gain (because plenty of airheaded people liked the idea that Jersey City was going to be "just like Soho", never mind that you can't just conjure Soho with a bunch of subsidies), which was always destined to failure. It shouldn't be taken seriously.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/23 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Maybe you could convince Whole Foods to move in if the city paid for all of the restoration costs!

No supermarket or retail stores will move into that place because of the location - it has no foot traffic AND no parking spaces included. Maybe they can move the jersey city museum in there but it will never pay the bills required to restore the place.

This place is a lost cause and a failure of multiple administrations including the current one.

Just get rid of this garbage dump and give us a small park please.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

like an independent theater (seriously?!?)

No not seriously....lol

Posted on: 2014/5/19 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
All joking aside, I can tell you as someone who has been involved with this project that there will be a roughly 80' tall building on the triangular plot of land between Athena and Portofino. The current plans call for the building to be clad in a small-gauge mesh that will have vertical ribs in it, contemporary look but still industrial. The roof will be a green roof and the building itself will contain all of the gear that will replace the equipment currently sitting next to the powerhouse on Washington Street. That gear will be taken down to make way for a pedestrian plaza. I believe construction is supposed to start in 2015.

appreciate the info, but again where are the news/announcements regarding this? i havent be able to find a blip of news regarding this.

I wouldn't be surprised--typical Port Authority secretiveness for the sake of secretiveness. Anyway, I do think it would be stupid for the Port Authority to build such a building without anything on the ground floor, but I don't exactly expect excellent urban planning from them, either.

Doesn't say anything about what will happen to the Powerhouse. Which the most recent bleats about "joint ventures" and the like seem to totally miss. No private developer will touch this building, including in a joint venture, with a hundred-foot pole as long as it has to be restored rather than torn down, and especially as long as the private developer is apparently going to be held responsible for putting something totally unfeasible like an independent theater (seriously?!?) in place.

Maybe you could convince Whole Foods to move in if the city paid for all of the restoration costs!

Posted on: 2014/5/19 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
All joking aside, I can tell you as someone who has been involved with this project that there will be a roughly 80' tall building on the triangular plot of land between Athena and Portofino. The current plans call for the building to be clad in a small-gauge mesh that will have vertical ribs in it, contemporary look but still industrial. The roof will be a green roof and the building itself will contain all of the gear that will replace the equipment currently sitting next to the powerhouse on Washington Street. That gear will be taken down to make way for a pedestrian plaza. I believe construction is supposed to start in 2015.

appreciate the info, but again where are the news/announcements regarding this? i havent be able to find a blip of news regarding this.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
if they are gonna build a pedestrian plaza, i hope they do it right

Posted on: 2014/5/17 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/16 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

An upscale mall with amenities like a theatre - The Mall @ Powerhouse Hills or The Mall at Sea Level Hills.

Unfortunately, it's going to be another pizza joint! lol

Hell!

Posted on: 2014/5/16 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donnajc65 wrote:
I heard that powerhouse will now have two towers as part of the project. The first tower will be on the triangle. The PA substation will be at the base of the building and the second tower will be where the transformers are now on the west side of the building. So much for historic restoration. Why bother. More towers in the land of towers.

where or who did you "hear" this from?

Posted on: 2014/5/15 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The Powerhouse is a registered national landmark. One of the few registered national landmarks in the city. The City owns it. If they claim that it has to be torn down because of neglect, then that is directly the City's fault.

I realize that the Port Authority has been problematic with its refusal to move the transformer yards. And the city's prior administrations bear responsibility too. But we are in the here and now, and we have a city that is tasked with figuring out how to preserve the national landmark.

"Some things aren't supposed to be easy." I agree mayor. This is one of those things. Now get to it.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if the city's landmarks conservancy has approved the tower plan for both sites.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I heard that powerhouse will now have two towers as part of the project. The first tower will be on the triangle. The PA substation will be at the base of the building and the second tower will be where the transformers are now on the west side of the building. So much for historic restoration. Why bother. More towers in the land of towers.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

An upscale mall with amenities like a theatre - The Mall @ Powerhouse Hills or The Mall at Sea Level Hills.

Unfortunately, it's going to be another pizza joint! lol

Posted on: 2014/5/14 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't Fulop take a tour and solicit suggestions for usage of the building, shortly after he became mayor? Whatever happened to that, I wonder...?

Posted on: 2014/5/14 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/14 16:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/27 20:26
From Woodbridge, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. The smokestacks were an integral part of this building.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Without the smokestacks, the Powerhouse, in my opinion, isn't nearly as attractive/cool looking. I wonder if there are any plans to rebuild the smokestacks to replicate the originals.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/14 13:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Based on the valid arguments posted in this forum, it might make sense to have a partial public/private JV. If somehow a JV can be established where a percentage of the powerhouse goes towards private developer to turn into a retail or commercial venue, then it would help both the city and it's citizens.

My main point is, at the moment it is an eye sore, but it has the potential of becoming a brilliant space for the city. It is a "beautiful" structure that highlights the industrial heritage of JC. HAving said that, financially it may make more sense to make it semi private space so that a developer (they usually have TONS AND TONS of money) to rehab it.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
benign neglect - jersey city

Posted on: 2014/5/14 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I agree that the Powerhouse looks like a complete dump. However, I'd get used to looking at it, since it's not coming down any time soon. Look on the bright side, it's still the nicest building in Newport.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Good points JC guy, as i recall, the "iconic" smoke stacks were deemed structurally unsafe and at one point a suggestion was made to replace the smoke stacks with plastic/polymer ones.

I'm all for historic preservation and love the fact that some parts of the Power House district are being preserved (i.e., that blocky warehouse on morgan- can't remember the name) but if this powerhouse is not safe and is crumbling, it may be more expedient and cost effective to replace it with something architecturally fitting before the next realestate downturn occurs and we are left with an empty shell.

Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
all of you with your head in the sand screaming preservation without the slightest clue what's going on, let me give you a reality check:

1) Restoration officially "broke ground" in 2009, 5 years and millions of tax payer dollar later, all we are left with is a garbage dump and a brick shell with boarded windows that is falling apart every day. The roof is completely gone, there is no weather proofing, the interiors are fully exposed and deteriorating.

2) To successfully restore this brick shell:
a) PA needs to signoff
b) path transformers need to be moved to the triangle with a new structure built to enclose it
c) all those gigantic windows need to be replaced
d) new roof installed
e) interior gut renovation to make it safe
f) major cleanup outside and structure reinforced

3) The structure as it stands today is extremely unsafe, especially given the waterfront location and hurricane/storms we have. The potential of a collapse is very real, on top of damaging the path transformers, creating a major incident.

4) It will cost decades and tens of millions more of taxpayer money to successfully complete this project, at best estimate with the funds available, and with JC/PA support (which is nonexistent currently).

Meanwhile all the residents nearby have to live with this unsafe garbage dump everyday.

So get off your high horse, i am all for preservation but not at the expense of safety and living conditions, and this is not the sistine chapel we are talking about here.

Level the damn thing before it collapses, put a grass field and some flower beds and call it a day.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 21:44

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017