Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fire alarm in the Foundry
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Management sent a mass email stating there was an emergency and apologized.

It's nice to know there's a warning, but as far as I know, this is the first non-false alarm out of about 40 such occurrences since I've been here. There comes a time when you think every alarm is false.

It seems to me they should hire another fire company if in over 3 years, the current one can't fix the problem. When I mentioned this to the manager a year ago, all I got was a shrug. It's just indicative of their attitude towards renters.

Believe me, I am with you. I've been in the building for over seven years. In fact, I believe I am the tenant with the fourth longest longevity in the building. I have seen everything there is to see here...

If you think the alarms are bad now, you should have been around back in 2007. It was an almost daily occurrence. After a while I learned to ignore them. I am lucky because I don't have them inside my unit. I feel for you, believe me. I would be rabid by now if I had to hear sirens inside my unit.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:

It's nice to know there's a warning, but as far as I know, this is the first non-false alarm out of about 40 such occurrences since I've been here. There comes a time when you think every alarm is false.

It seems to me they should hire another fire company if in over 3 years, the current one can't fix the problem. When I mentioned this to the manager a year ago, all I got was a shrug. It's just indicative of their attitude towards renters.

Management might have a contract with the fire company, if this is the case they will be stuck with them for the length of the contract.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/9 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I definitely sympathize with people who live in rental units. My understanding is that those extremely loud alarms are now required by code in all rental units. I live in one of the original units (when the building was all condos) and they don't have those alarms. I have heard from some people that the alarms are incredibly loud and that cats (and, dogs?) will freak out and remain agitated for some time, even after being shut off, because of the sheer volume. This code requirement is in place in JC and Bayonne. That's probably true for all of Hudson county, but I am not 100% sure. So, even if you move to another building, if it is new(ish) construction, you are likely going to run into the same problem. My ex lived in Bayonne and on several occasions she had to leave her place in the middle of the night because alarms would go off and her (and her cat) would feel like they were going to have a heart attack from the onslaught of the alarm volume.

Well if it's code then it's law ! Probably it has to do with making sure that everyone can hear the alarm and no one is left behind. Even the Light Rail horns are piercing loud. Another price to pay for renting in these huge towers.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 13:58
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
The Foundry - for the 3+ years I've been living here, the fire alarm goes off erratically, never because of a danger. There will be months that it doesn't go off at all and then there will be a month where it goes off numerous times. Some of the alarms are located in the apartments. Mine is one of the apartments. The decibel level has been recorded by me (on an iPhone app) at a consistent 90db, sometimes higher. The alarm will stay on for 30 minutes or less. I don't know how true it is, but I read that exposure to 90db for a period of time can result in hearing loss. Who knows what it does to my cats.

I have complained to management and it's always the same story - the alarm company is working on it. The fire department tells me to call management. I've been told it is illegal to disconnect the alarm - I wouldn't know how to do so anyway.

Other than move (I'm looking), what else can be done?

I definitely sympathize with people who live in rental units. My understanding is that those extremely loud alarms are now required by code in all rental units. I live in one of the original units (when the building was all condos) and they don't have those alarms. I have heard from some people that the alarms are incredibly loud and that cats (and, dogs?) will freak out and remain agitated for some time, even after being shut off, because of the sheer volume. This code requirement is in place in JC and Bayonne. That's probably true for all of Hudson county, but I am not 100% sure.

So, even if you move to another building, if it is new(ish) construction, you are likely going to run into the same problem. My ex lived in Bayonne and on several occasions she had to leave her place in the middle of the night because alarms would go off and her (and her cat) would feel like they were going to have a heart attack from the onslaught of the alarm volume.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Call the fire department each and every time ! That will commend attention to resolve this situation.
Also call the mayor's office 547-4900 or the city hall operator 547-5000 to channel you to other departments.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 11:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Fire alarm in the Foundry
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
The Foundry - for the 3+ years I've been living here, the fire alarm goes off erratically, never because of a danger. There will be months that it doesn't go off at all and then there will be a month where it goes off numerous times. Some of the alarms are located in the apartments. Mine is one of the apartments. The decibel level has been recorded by me (on an iPhone app) at a consistent 90db, sometimes higher. The alarm will stay on for 30 minutes or less. I don't know how true it is, but I read that exposure to 90db for a period of time can result in hearing loss. Who knows what it does to my cats.

I have complained to management and it's always the same story - the alarm company is working on it. The fire department tells me to call management. I've been told it is illegal to disconnect the alarm - I wouldn't know how to do so anyway.

Other than move (I'm looking), what else can be done?

Posted on: 2014/5/9 10:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017