Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
48 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 48

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: They are getting rid of pep boys! Looks like its true!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Pep Boys is nice for a $20 oil change. I agree with the poster that mentioned dropping the car off and walking home (or doing errands at the mall) and coming right back.

There is a Pep Boys on 440 I believe, but it's not as convenient.

Re: the other stores, Shop Rite is a harrowing experience but we still need a supermarket there and it shouldn't be an over priced joke like Whole Foods. Trader Joe's would be great. I'd love to see more stuff by the tunnel.

And the mall and Target are going nowhere. Just because something is a chain or big and not double the price for organic crap doesn't mean it's bad. Brooklyn has plenty of big box. Do what the other hipsters do and overpay elsewhere and let the rest of us have normalcy.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The honking great big parking lots downtown around the Mall, Shoprite and Target might have made sense 20 years ago, but really doesn't make sense for the next 20, given the value of that land. Shifting most of those stores over to 440 would make sense long term. What I don't get is why the large supermarket chains haven't tried to create mini-supermarkets to service urban areas, like Tesco and Sainsburys have done in the UK. Downtown doesn't really need the Shoprite, A&P, Pathmark and Target with their huge parking lots - just a high-quality, low cost Whole-Foods style grocery store every few blocks.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25762466

Whole Foods is the polar opposite of low cost. Trader Joes is more high quality and low cost.

But we agree it would be great to have such options in walking distance. Unfortunately I think that is a pipe dream due to the amount of real estate grocery stores take up.

If you visit London, stop in at some of the Tesco Expresses on the London High Streets. Some are no bigger than an average-sized convenience store and most are about the same size as the Duane Reed at Grove Street. It's not a pipe dream if we make sure enough first floor retail space is made available in new developments.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The honking great big parking lots downtown around the Mall, Shoprite and Target might have made sense 20 years ago, but really doesn't make sense for the next 20, given the value of that land. Shifting most of those stores over to 440 would make sense long term. What I don't get is why the large supermarket chains haven't tried to create mini-supermarkets to service urban areas, like Tesco and Sainsburys have done in the UK. Downtown doesn't really need the Shoprite, A&P, Pathmark and Target with their huge parking lots - just a high-quality, low cost Whole-Foods style grocery store every few blocks.

Whole Foods is the polar opposite of low cost. Trader Joes is more high quality and low cost.

But we agree it would be great to have such options in walking distance. Unfortunately I think that is a pipe dream due to the amount of real estate grocery stores take up.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/7 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
This is actually a new version of an old plan. It was originally called Hudson Square.

The Metropolitan Tower was to rise behind the Monaco Towers as the first of many in the project, and serve as the anchor and crown jewel as well as contain a lot of parking spaces for the rest of the property. It seems that under the current plan this tower has scaled down though at the time, it was to have been the tallest residential tower in the state.

At the time, the developers said that retail -- even large format stores -- would always be part of the property. This is a multi-decades long project.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 21:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
How are these "mega" developments going to sustain themselves if our neighborhoods are lacking basic community spaces (no place for kids to hang out - like bowling alleys or sports rec centers), decent grocers and butchers, retail spaces (mall is ok but buying local is better for our economy) and most importantly SAFETY? Are they planning to bring in these sorts retailers with them or just bring in big buildings that inhabit residents but have the residents go to different towns (Hoboken and Manhattan) for basic necessities?

Posted on: 2014/5/7 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pep Boys suck compared to some of the great local auto shops like Ralphs Tire Repair, Ziggys, A & M Auto, A & L Auto Body...heck I'd trust my car to Sears Auto at the Mall before I'd let Pep Boys work on it.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

xtine wrote:
But Pep Boys is actually useful!!!!! Argh!
I'm glad to see more surface parking lots disappear in favor of walkable, livable space, but I am kind of bummed about Pep Boys. It's nice being able to drop off my car for a repair and walk home while they work on it.

This project may never get off the ground.
"While renderings are up, no completion date for Hudson Exchange or its first phase have been released"

There is no developer or start date for construction, the concept is interesting but may never happen.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This city desperately needs an industrial, services and commercial hub or hubs downtown to cater to this residential highrise monopoly, before we'll all have to travel miles away to get a tire, service our car or buy a loaf of bread from an independant operator - we desperately need small business operators to challenge / compete with the mega marts or franchises and they need an area to compete and operate.

You are correct, Downtown Jersey City will continue to move away from a car-centric lifestyle. For auto repairs, you can just head over to 1&9, which is exactly where auto repair shops should be, not on Marin Blvd in the heart of an increasingly dense downtown. 1&9 is at least a century away from losing its auto body shops and industrial character :)

Don't forget the Heights, where the favorite pastime seems to be putting in illegal driveways! The Heights will remain car-centric forever, by the looks of things. But! We have lots and lots of grocery shopping options - Arabic and Italian groceries, good green-grocers, El Supremo grocery store, Angel Azul for Mexican pastries...

Posted on: 2014/5/7 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

xtine wrote:
But Pep Boys is actually useful!!!!! Argh!
I'm glad to see more surface parking lots disappear in favor of walkable, livable space, but I am kind of bummed about Pep Boys. It's nice being able to drop off my car for a repair and walk home while they work on it.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I could actually see pep boys moving to that area of downtown near the 14th street garden store. i wonder how long that will remain a no man's land

Same as the old wearhouse area where The Warehouse Cafe is located. The area around Bay and beyond is prime.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 12:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I could actually see pep boys moving to that area of downtown near the 14th street garden store. i wonder how long that will remain a no man's land

Posted on: 2014/5/7 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Something something tax abatements.

Something something poor infrastructure and poor sewage.

Something something flood zone.

All sarcasm aside, the last thing our piss poor infrastructure needs is more high density towers. Our combined sewer system can' barely handle the population we have now. You think the PATH is crowded now? Wait till all the towers under construction are finished. Sometimes the trains are so packed by the time they leave Grove St. People at Newport can't get on.

I'm all for developing DTJC , but developing has to mean more than building more high rise towers.

Disband the PA, close down the Holland Tunnel, and replace it with a two-way gigantic people mover, with dedicated bike lanes included.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Is that 12 towers in the rendering? Holy shite.

I bet ! Someone on this thread wants a leash free dog land such as LSP but they continue to build these institution like apartment buildings housing as many humans as possible. It is beggining to look like soviet era Russia.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 11:15
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This city desperately needs an industrial, services and commercial hub or hubs downtown to cater to this residential highrise monopoly, before we'll all have to travel miles away to get a tire, service our car or buy a loaf of bread from an independant operator - we desperately need small business operators to challenge / compete with the mega marts or franchises and they need an area to compete and operate.

You are correct, Downtown Jersey City will continue to move away from a car-centric lifestyle. For auto repairs, you can just head over to 1&9, which is exactly where auto repair shops should be, not on Marin Blvd in the heart of an increasingly dense downtown. 1&9 is at least a century away from losing its auto body shops and industrial character :)

Posted on: 2014/5/7 11:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:

All sarcasm aside, the last thing our piss poor infrastructure needs is more high density towers. Our combined sewer system can' barely handle the population we have now. You think the PATH is crowded now? Wait till all the towers under construction are finished. Sometimes the trains are so packed by the time they leave Grove St. People at Newport can't get on.

I'm all for developing DTJC , but developing has to mean more than building more high rise towers.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 10:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/05/revealed-hudson-exchange-west.html

Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Exciting stuff.

This HUGE swath of land, when properly developed, actually has the potential to be a true hub in downtown JC with retail and communal open space.

They just really need to focus on keeping any vehicle parking structures out of plain sight so that they don't destroy the streetscape. This really needs to be done right; looks like the early renderings are pretty good.

Do you have a link to the renderings?

Posted on: 2014/5/7 10:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The only thing that could save DTJC from becoming a commuter's nightmare is to implement a ferry service that goes straight across the Hudson from the end of Pavonia to Christopher or 14th St. A constant run of ferries back and forth at a reasonable price would do incredible business. Otherwise, all this new development is going to simply overwhelm the PATH system.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Pathmark and A&P, which are just as convenient.

No, no they aren't. Pathmark is way the hell away from most of downtown and a heap of dung besides. A&P is overpriced and equally out of the way with even less of a selection than Shoprite.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/7 4:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Exciting stuff.

This HUGE swath of land, when properly developed, actually has the potential to be a true hub in downtown JC with retail and communal open space.

They just really need to focus on keeping any vehicle parking structures out of plain sight so that they don't destroy the streetscape. This really needs to be done right; looks like the early renderings are pretty good.

Do you have a link to the renderings?

Posted on: 2014/5/7 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Exciting stuff.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/7 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
So do we know when they will be closing?
Will they be having a going out of business sale so I can pickup some cleaners cheep?

Posted on: 2014/5/7 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
jc could use more street retail,a nd i'm hoping that shoprir and bed,bath,beyond can become street retail, es[ecially if they put garages underground.

with all this development, i think its just a matter of time before the parking lots at newport mall have towers above them. now, the city neeeds to get moving on our embankment park which would be a really nice addition to the city

Posted on: 2014/5/7 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
We use Shoprite quite a bit, but downtown also has Pathmark and A&P, which are just as convenient.

BJ's does fill a niche that doesn't exist elsewhere downtown.

But it makes sense to develop that area with higher density and integrate it into the streetscape.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The Shop Rite group that owns the newly built stores in Union and Cedar Knolls doesn't own any in Hudson County it seems, so don't look for any relo's or reno's in the area anytime soon.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Are the other stores, BJ's and Shoprite going away too or just Pep Boys?

It sure looks like they are. I've been expecting this a long time, big box stores on that land is leaving money on the table. But it will hit our quality of life as far as shopping. BJ's is no Costco, and SR could be better, but they're damn convenient.

Heaven would be the new development hosting a Costco and Fairway.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Was at the Cedar Knolls Shoprite the other day and it is a great and very comfortable food shopping experience. Great hot tables, oyster/seafood bar, and easy parking too.

This Shoprite is probably a flagship store. Better than some Kings (i.e., Short Hills, Chatham which are pretty dumpy).

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
can't dogs run at lsp. i hope they keep the shoprite and bed, bath,beyond!

Yes, but it would be nice to have a larger off leash dog area that isn't fenced off besides Colgate within DTJC. VVP and Hamilton just don't give them the running space they would really like (and I feel REALLY sorry for the poor dogs that actually use the dog runs, lol!).

What does the rest of the board think?

But on the subject of shoprite, BB&B, etc. - their days are numbered. You won't find them in the same way as you don't find them in Manhattan or nicer parts of Brooklyn or even Hoboken.

The new Shop Rites in Cedar Knolls and Union are incredible, some of the owners are investing heavily.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
can't dogs run at lsp. i hope they keep the shoprite and bed, bath,beyond!

Yes, but it would be nice to have a larger off leash dog area that isn't fenced off besides Colgate within DTJC. VVP and Hamilton just don't give them the running space they would really like (and I feel REALLY sorry for the poor dogs that actually use the dog runs, lol!).

What does the rest of the board think?

But on the subject of shoprite, BB&B, etc. - their days are numbered. You won't find them in the same way as you don't find them in Manhattan or nicer parts of Brooklyn or even Hoboken.

The new Shop Rites in Cedar Knolls and Union are incredible, some of the owners are investing heavily.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 20:12

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017