Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: J CITY Theater's AS BEES IN HONEY DROWN
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight is the final performance of As Bees In Honey Drown.

We can't thank our audiences enough for making this the most successful show in our history.

Last night was sold out again! But there are still tickets available for tonight. Get yours at www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2014/5/17 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Tonight is Two for Thirty Thursday!
Get two tickets for $30.00 - a $10 savings!

There are only 3 more performances left of As Bees In Honey Drown - and
tickets are going fast! We actually sold out last Saturday night, so be sure to
get your tickets online.

You don't want to miss this Theatrical Event!

Comment last night:

"Sandy Cockrell is a force of nature!"

"Amazing show - I haven't laughed that hard in forever. I always know when I go to J CITY Theater that you guys are going to do a top notch production, but you have really out done yourselves this time. The best ever!"

Final shows are Thursday Friday and Saturday - 8pm.
252 9th Street. Jersey City, NJ

Tickets: $20.00
Get your tickets now at: www.jcity.org

And the Dinner and Show Packages are still available:
Get !0% off at Hamilton Inn and 15% off at GP's Restaurant.

Hope to see you there!!!

Posted on: 2014/5/15 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The final four performances of As Bees In Honey Drown begins tonight at 8pm. You don't want to miss this show!

We were sold out last Saturday night - so be sure to get your tickets online: www.jcity.org

And check out our great review by Jack Silbert at The Jersey City Independent:

Over the weekend, my cousins Brenda and Nancy were in from Tucson. As usual, they were Broadway-bound: After Midnight, All the Way, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and Lady Day at Emerson?s Bar & Grill. But for a terrifically fun night of theater ? at a fraction of the cost ? you need look no further than the western edge of Hamilton Park: J City?s production of As Bees in Honey Drown.

If you?ve never been to J City Theater, just attending is a big part of the fun. The glow of a neon sign, set back in the middle of a quiet, tree-lined block, beckons you. After descending a small flight of stairs, you enter the performance space beneath St. Michael?s Church. Arrive a bit early to take in the current gallery show by Jersey City?s own Grigory Gurevich; I was very impressed with his ability to jump from style to style with such ease. (This is a perfect fit with this run of As Bees In Honey Drown, as most cast members play multiple roles.)

If you are unfamiliar with the play itself, well, so was I ? though I must have walked past the original 1997 Off-Broadway production every single day, right by the Christopher Street PATH station. (I guess I was in a daze on my daily commute.) The playwright is Douglas Carter Beane, perhaps best known for his screenplay for To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar, and five Tony nominations including work on Rodgers & Hammerstein?s Cinderella, Sister Act, and Xanadu.

Beane?s Drama Desk-nominated As Bees in Honey Drown definitely caught the eye of J City?s Executive Director Clay Cockrell and Artistic Director Sandy Cockrell. The husband-and-wife team first staged the show in 2007 at the Brennan Courthouse, and it has now become their first revival. The readily changeable space at J City?s current home allows for a dynamic theater-in-the-round experience. (OK, OK, it?s a rectangle.) The two halves of the audience face each other, with at least four different sets ? also playing multiple roles ? always visible in the center. Framing the overall set are graffiti murals created by Mr. MustArt, convincingly placing us in 1990s Manhattan, itself still recovering from a 1980s hangover.

As the play opens, we meet Evan Wyler, novelist and an ?overnight? semi-success after 9 years of struggle. My spider-sense tingles whenever a writer writes about a writer (which then makes me a writer writing about a writer writing about a writer), but Beane?s smart script avoids most woe-is-me clich?s. Rather, Evan Wyler represents us, the viewers ? he is our grounded tour guide in a high-flying, fast-paced life. Wyler is winningly portrayed by Jason Guy, first with an aw-shucks innocence, then with increased panic and intensity as his character is wined, dined, seduced, and deceived.

Doing the seducing is Alexa Vere de Vere, a damaged rock & roll socialite played with verve and worldliness by Sandy Cockrell (who is also the play?s director). Alexa plucks Evan from his simple existence, and we?re off to the races.

As Evan?s world spins more and more out of control, we are introduced to a group of eclectic supporting characters ? 10? Maybe more? I lost count! ? all performed by three additional cast members. The most prominent is Timothy C. Goodwin as Mike, an artist previously caught in Alexa?s web. Goodwin also portrays an edgy Brit rocker and a hilariously obsequious suit salesman ? and he brings wit and likability to each character.

Clay Cockrell gets to be a photographer, an Alexa hanger-on named Sven, and most notably Morris the record executive. Cockrell?s deadpan air of authority is a pleasure to watch. Wendy Weber Eaton is sultry and sassy as a waitress, fellow socialite, executive assistant, and actress ? she is a commanding presence. And Sarah Brooke Vanaman plays a violinist, photography assistant, and dancer, and is equally able to be youthful and exuberant in one scene and austere in the next.

As Bees in Honey Drown is a very funny play, with rapid-fire dialogue reminiscent of films of the 1940s. But there?s more than comedy here: It?s a tale of blind ambition, celebrity worship, compromises made too readily, and our desperate need to reinvent ourselves. In Hedwig (another Off-Broadway success of the late 1990s), that reinvention is a celebration of our true selves, but in this play it?s an indictment. We want to escape, because we?re ashamed of who we are. Spoiler alert: That is not the path to happiness.

Crisply directed and energetically performed, As Bees in Honey Drown at J City Theater gives us something to think about, and a whole lot of reasons to laugh. Let?s hope they do another revival the next time my cousins are in town.

As Bees in Honey Drown concludes its run with performances this Wednesday through Saturday, May 14?17, at 8 pm at the J City Theater, 252 9th St. Tickets are $20. For more info visit jcity.org.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's Two for Thirty Thursday at J CITY Theater!

Get two tickets for $30.00 (a saving of $10.00)

Audience comment from last night's show:
"I've seen the last 5 productions here, and I think this is my
favorite. Slick, funny, smart - a great show!"

Hope to see you there!

And don't forget about our dinner and show packages:
Hamilton Inn: 10% off
GP's 15% off

Posted on: 2014/5/8 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
[img width=300]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202839724447909&set=pcb.10202839731848094&type=1&theater[/img]

Thanks so much for our best opening weekend ever, Darling!

Our second week of performances start tonight!
As Bees In Honey Drown runs Wednesday's through Saturday's, 8pm

And we are so proud to announce our partnership with Bambino Chef for our:
BIG NIGHT OUT PACKAGE!

On May 10th, (this Saturday) grown ups can drop their child off at Bambino Chef for a night of play and learning while they attend J CITY Theater's production: As Bees In Honey Drown by Tony award winning playwright Douglas Carter Beane.

Package Details:

Date: May 10th

Price: $60.00

Package includes:

Two Tickets for As Bees In Honey Drown - Show starts at 8pm.

One night of play and learning for your child. (minimum age: 4)

Drop off 7:30pm, pick up 10:30pm

(Please add additional $15 for each additional sibling - payable to Bambino Chef at their door)

Tickets can be purchased at www.jcity.org - please add the code, BeesBambino for date: May 10th.

Bambino Chef is located at 213 Newark Ave

J CITY Theater is located at 252 9th Street on Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight is opening night!

The flood water is gone, the set cleaned and repaired, lights are set - it's show time! Come one, come all.
8pm.

www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2014/5/2 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Ok - I think we have earned the title of "The hardest working theater in show business."

After working to build the theater and set over the past 4 weeks, last night we rushed to break almost everything down as the flood waters rose during rehearsal. In a matter of moments, actors and crew all scrambled to lift up curtains, rugs and set pieces while our wonderful Tech Director, Nick Probst battled the flood. But there was nothing he could do as the water rushed in from all sides.

But the show must go on!

Friday (tomorrow!) at 8pm - against all odds, the lights go up on perhaps our best show ever. Please come support the theater you just can't keep down!

Tickets are available at www.jcity.org

We run May 2nd through 17th at 252 9th Street, Jersey City.

Hope to see you there!

Posted on: 2014/5/1 14:49

J CITY Theater's AS BEES IN HONEY DROWN
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
J CITY Theater presents AS BEES IN HONEY DROWN

A show we loved so much ? we?ve decided to do it again.
It?s our first revival!

Way back in 2007, as we were just getting started as a theater company, we produced this show at the Brennan Courthouse. And for those lucky enough to have seen it the first time around ? you know why we love this show so much.

Audiences have been asking to see it again, so for the first time ever ? we are doing a revival! It?s reimagined and freshened up for 2014!

This manic comedy, set in the roller coaster New York art world, is a biting commentary on our culture?s obsession with fame and celebrity. The seduction of fame without achievement is mined for comic gold in this runaway Off-Broadway hit from Tony Award winning playwright Douglas Carter Beane.

In true J CITY fashion, we create a glittering world of image over substance while spinning this laugh out loud fairy tale of success!

Once again, Sandy Cockrell is seen in the role she was born to play: Alexa Vere de Vere ? the ferocious and flawless siren who moves the story along at a fevered pitch. Her intoxicating allure is laced with danger, keeping the audience guessing right up to the closing moments. Is she goddess or grifter?

Dates:
May 2nd through 17th
First weekend: Friday and Saturday
Following two weeks: Wednesday through Saturday.

Time: 8pm
Location: 252 9th Street, Jersey City, NJ ? Lower level of St. Michael?s Church on Hamilton Park

Price: $20.00
Tickets: www.jcity.org

Dinner and Show Packages
On the night you see the show, you can get 10% off at Hamilton Inn and 15% off at GP?s! Just tell your waiter you are seeing the show or just came from the show.

Specials: Thursday is our ?2 for 30.00 Thursday? Deal ? get two tickets for a total of $30.00 ? a $10 discount.

NEW
The Big Night Out Package
We are partnering with Bambino Chef on May 10th for a night out for Grown Ups while the kids get to learn and play at Bambino Chef?s!
Price: $60.00
Details: 2 tickets to the show and 1 admission to Bambino Chef ($15 extra for each additional sibling ? payable at the door at Bambino)

Drop Off for Kids: 7:30pm
Show: 8pm
Pick up for Kids: 10:30pm

Bambino Chef is at 213 Newark Ave
Tickets: www.jcity.org - enter the code BeesBambino at checkout.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 16:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017