Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Battello Restaurant - Newport Marina
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I've only had a beer there, no food, but I have to say I enjoyed the complimentary golf cart ride down the pier.

Posted on: 2014/10/19 1:40

Re: NYT Review of Battello
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

Battello's is great. I love it. I'll continue to go and enjoy all they have to offer (view spectacular!) and if I have clients who I know will put me through the oyster to appie to entree scenario I'll choose the bar area so I won't have to worry about this policy. Last post. Otherwise this could go on forever in a JC List kind of way.

You speak the truth! Glad to see that most posts are positive reviews. And, thanks for sharing your experiences there. I am going tonight with my father so I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully, no fire alarms this evening!!

Posted on: 2014/10/18 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
I've really enjoyed patronizing the place. I just wish they'd stop refusing to let us order our appetizers before ordering our main course. This has happened four times. Even when it wasn't busy. Once it was Oysters we wanted to order, even before we were ordering our appetizers and entrees...wanted our drink order and oyster order at the same time. Server came back and apologized but said the chef is working on a large party and needs us to put in our oyster order with our entrees. So we had to figure sh*t out pretty quickly if we wanted our oysters with our cocktails.

Then I came upon this article and thought - okay, it's a trend.

Link here: New York Observer

The "trend" of asking (or, requiring) customers to place their entire meal order at once is not at all a recent thing. And, it has nothing to do with the article you reference/linked. This is not a matter of the customer being right, or wrong. Running a kitchen at an upscale restaurant is like choreographing an intricate ballet; timing is everything. They need to know what you are eating so they can prepare and get ready all of the components that go into your dish or meal so each dish comes out at the proper time.

Also to be considered is that, at upscale restaurants, the "experience" is an important piece of the overall picture. The chef will want to make sure that there is proper spacing and timing between each course, and that is hard to pull if they don't know what you are intending to eat. For those who want to enjoy the experience of eating out, and not just consume food, this is important, as well.

Choreography of food coming out and customer preference is a delicate balance the finest restaurants have mastered. And the exchange between patron and server is part of the overall experience. And exceptions can be made when the server notes the customer doesn't mind ill timing to accommodate the clients at the table's preferences, once that's established then it should be okay for both parties. Battello's is great. I love it. I'll continue to go and enjoy all they have to offer (view spectacular!) and if I have clients who I know will put me through the oyster to appie to entree scenario I'll choose the bar area so I won't have to worry about this policy. Last post. Otherwise this could go on forever in a JC List kind of way.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
I've really enjoyed patronizing the place. I just wish they'd stop refusing to let us order our appetizers before ordering our main course. This has happened four times. Even when it wasn't busy. Once it was Oysters we wanted to order, even before we were ordering our appetizers and entrees...wanted our drink order and oyster order at the same time. Server came back and apologized but said the chef is working on a large party and needs us to put in our oyster order with our entrees. So we had to figure sh*t out pretty quickly if we wanted our oysters with our cocktails.

The "trend" of asking (or, requiring) customers to place their entire meal order at once is not at all a recent thing. And, it has nothing to do with the article you reference/linked. This is not a matter of the customer being right, or wrong. Running a kitchen at an upscale restaurant is like choreographing an intricate ballet; timing is everything. They need to know what you are eating so they can prepare and get ready all of the components that go into your dish or meal so each dish comes out at the proper time.

Also to be considered is that, at upscale restaurants, the "experience" is an important piece of the overall picture. The chef will want to make sure that there is proper spacing and timing between each course, and that is hard to pull if they don't know what you are intending to eat. For those who want to enjoy the experience of eating out, and not just consume food, this is important, as well.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/18 13:31

NYT Review of Battello
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hot off the presses! The NYT review of Battello will be published in tomorrow's NY Edition of the New York Times. Mostly positive review, with a rating (Good) that doesn't quite fit with the narrative.

A Review of Battello in Jersey City

Posted on: 2014/10/18 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Their formula seems very successful so far. It's about time we had a place of this quality in that area (it's strides above what was there before). I've been many times and it's never disappointed. I haven't found the prices any different than any other restaurant of this calibre. The wine selections are excellent. And the view is worth every penny.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 16:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Tried it once for dinner. Just OK. In no hurry to go back. Overpriced and underwhelmed ... seems to be a theme lately in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes - be happy you didn't pay...

I have been for brunch, lunch and dinner - it's too expensive for what it is. Food is solid but not amazing. I have been pleased with apps, but the menu falls off at entres.

I think the place is great for a cocktail and an app or two - that is it.

Quote:

colleen wrote:
My boyfriend's parents took us out last night and I made a last minute reservation for 7:30. We walked in to a surprisingly empty dining room at 7:15. The host made us wait to be seated. I found that very odd. Food was great, beautiful setting, glad we weren't paying - ! but that customer service fail stuck with me like a bad clam.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
My boyfriend's parents took us out last night and I made a last minute reservation for 7:30. We walked in to a surprisingly empty dining room at 7:15. The host made us wait to be seated. I found that very odd. Food was great, beautiful setting, glad we weren't paying - ! but that customer service fail stuck with me like a bad clam.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 14:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
I ate here recently and was really impressed. Tried the mussel app and it was delicious. Had black cod as main and it was cooked perfectly. Service was good, but slow, but we weren't in a rush, and it was only their 3rd day open. Drinks were very good, and the dishes the rest of our table got were equally delicious. A very welcome addition.

Posted on: 2014/3/24 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Nice!

Posted on: 2014/3/24 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Parkman, do you think they'll do dock and dine?
The owner said they are trying to work something out with the marina for the summer season.

Posted on: 2014/3/24 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman, do you think they'll do dock and dine?

Posted on: 2014/3/24 12:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Parkman.

To start, service is very friendly, and was attentive enough for only being open a few days.

There were a wide variety of house cocktails, each of which we had were flavorful and powerful.

The menu is obviously seafood heavy, but there is some variety thrown in there. The pancetta wrapped scallops were bangin'. Let it be known my GF is a seafood hater, and happily devoured the lobster tail, which is served with pork belly and fried couscous. Awesome combination.

Lastly, the place itself is decorated very nicely. Can't wait to see what it's like when the weather really starts to get warm. And they are still working on a front room that will have a bigger bar and lounge, as well as live music.

The price tag is typical of any other high-end dining restaurant. Everyone should know that going in.

All in all, I think it is a great place to have in Newport and on its way to success.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We will check it out soon. Looking for "special" for upcoming graduation dinner.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
K-Lo, you will be very satisfied.

Went there on the first ?soft opening? night and was very pleased with the new design, lighting, and level of service. I?ve been at this marina for 27 years, and we finally have a restaurant that is equal to the venue.

The owners were very engaging, aware of some of the glitches that bothered us, and had plans to correct these minor complaints. The atmosphere is very relaxing and inviting, unlike the cold and sterile feeling of the previous attempts by the last three ?restaurateurs?.

The menu is seafood oriented but has some meat and vegan options. The pricing is on par with 30 Acres, with interesting flavor combinations, although not quite as refined. The fish dishes were perfectly cooked and the potions were generous.

They have a very interesting wine selection, with pours that are much better than most equally priced restaurants and at very fair prices, which is unusual with this quality of food.

They have two bars on the south side of the dinning areas that have views of lower Manhattan and the Battery. Not sure whether they are going to have seating outside during the summer, but hope they will.

The only thing that may become an issue is that they intend to use the main dinner room as a wedding or other special event option. There may be weekends where the restaurant may be closed and you?ll need to call first to see if they are open to the public.

There is limited parking on the dock, but it?s an easy walk from the Pavonia Path station.

I highly recommend that you support this new effort, even if it?s only for your ?special occasion? go-to, or just for a drink?I really hope this one is successful.

-parkman

Posted on: 2014/3/23 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't been yet, but the Yelp reviews are pretty solid so far.
Battello Yelp Reviews

I will probably check it out in two weeks.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very true!! Now that there is an increased awareness of the benefits of gluten-free diets, and the incidence of celiac disease, I suspect more and more restaurants will make an honest attempt to provide alternatives, or to allow for menu variations that do not affect a chef's intent or creative predilections.

In that vein, tamari is a perfect example of a good gluten-free alternative to a regular item: it IS soy sauce, but it is made with more soy beans, so the texture and taste is similar, just a bit smoother and somewhat thicker.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Just because it has soy sauce, it doesn't mean it is not gluten-free. You can get gluten-free soy sauce (Kikkoman has a version, and Tamari is normally gluten-free). Perhaps the kitchen can accommodate a request to use Tamari in place of whatever soy sauce they normally use. I find many restaurants (definitely most sushi places) keep Tamari on hand (even our local gem, Honshu, will bring it to your table if you ask for it) so I see no reason why this place wouldn't do the same.

It would be wonderful if more restaurants did this and made a note on the menu that the item is GF. Wondered if they were thinking GF but didn't realize soy sauce typically isn't...

Posted on: 2014/3/12 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just because it has soy sauce, it doesn't mean it is not gluten-free. You can get gluten-free soy sauce (Kikkoman has a version, and Tamari is normally gluten-free). Perhaps the kitchen can accommodate a request to use Tamari in place of whatever soy sauce they normally use. I find many restaurants (definitely most sushi places) keep Tamari on hand (even our local gem, Honshu, will bring it to your table if you ask for it) so I see no reason why this place wouldn't do the same.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 15:09

Re: Battello Restaurant on the Newport Pier
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Menu looks great and crusting the skate in rice is something new. They almost went gluten-free with that option except for the darn soy sauce...

Posted on: 2014/3/12 14:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2/3 16:32
From New Brunswick, US
Group:
Registered Users
Menu is up on OpenTable

http://www.opentable.com/battello

tab marked, er, menu ;)

Posted on: 2014/3/11 22:09

Edited by davork on 2014/3/11 22:35:16
Reason: menu is up(!)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Farm to table and seafood centric sound great. I wonder if they'll utilize the outdoor area?

Newport is sort of a cultural desert, so I wonder if a place like this can can start moving Newport in a better direction, ie less chains and non-chain places that are designed to look like chains.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Wow the space is looking great, they're doing a sick job. Met them at the Project JC event at City Hall also, they were really cool and took time explaining their concept. From what I remember their menu will be seafood-centric, with a farm to table ethos. I was unfortunately way too stuffed by the time I got to try their food, but a friend said it was tasty.

Quote:

thejerseycitylife wrote:
Check our posts on Battello, the exciting new restaurant opening on the pier in Newport.

Battello Restaurant to Open Tuesday, 11-March

Best,
thejerseycitylife.com

Posted on: 2014/3/5 17:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
For those with instagram, you can preview some pics of the interior and the food here:

http://instagram.com/battellojc#

Posted on: 2014/3/5 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tasted some of their food at the tent event at city hall around Christmas. It was delicious. I look forward to the view AND the food.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 16:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Michael Anthony's was awful...

Agreed. You really have to work to f up having a restaurant in a location like that.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Michael Anthony's was awful...

The place was designed by the Kitchen Cousins (looks like Anthony specifically) - per their post on Facebook. As long as they get some talent behind the bar, I wouldn't mind sipping a nice cocktail and watching NYC light up on occasion.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully this place doesn't rest on the laurels of its location/views. Does anybody know anything about the menu? Creative type of place, or traditional Italian? Seafood heavy?

I also hope they still offer dock and dine!

Posted on: 2014/3/5 15:54

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017