Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: How is the area by the Westside Ave HBLR Station?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Resized Image

someone has posted these signs throughout the Westside neighborhood bars.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
might help if you posted an actual pic

Posted on: 2014/5/6 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

someone has posted these signs throughout the Westside neighborhood bars.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tunaboy wrote:
Thanks everyone, i've decided to pass on this apartment for a few reasons:

I don't want to have to watch my back everywhere I go
I don't want to have to hide my phone or worry about getting robbed
I don't want to be scared to walk to the bodega at night to get some munchies
I don't want to deal with the longer commute to midtown
I want a walkable neighborhood with more stores and restaurants

Just move to the Heights already and be done with it. Low crime area but not much train access.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 4:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/3 21:16
From NYC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone, i've decided to pass on this apartment for a few reasons:

I don't want to have to watch my back everywhere I go
I don't want to have to hide my phone or worry about getting robbed
I don't want to be scared to walk to the bodega at night to get some munchies
I don't want to deal with the longer commute to midtown
I want a walkable neighborhood with more stores and restaurants

Posted on: 2014/3/21 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
To be fair carjacking can happen in any area, even areas like the ritzy Short Hills Mall In New Jersey. Or even DTJC so your little link does not represent the area.

Sure it could happen anywhere but in areas where carjackers come from and up and coming low income neighborhoods some potential victims might standout more and become a target.

Most JC carjackings are done by folks who live else where, we do get some knuckle heads trying but for the most part most jackers are coming from Newark, the Oranges and Brooklyn.

Brooklyn woman gets 21-year sentence in car theft ring involving 7 from Hudson County

The three recent carjackings in Millburn/Short Hills were probably meant to resell the cars overseas-late model Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, and a Mercedes Benz. In JC they're probably for other reasons-who's going to order in some Chinese delivery and then try and jack the car, like what happened the other day-not likely going to be a luxury car used for that delivery.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
To be fair carjacking can happen in any area, even areas like the ritzy Short Hills Mall In New Jersey. Or even DTJC so your little link does not represent the area.

Sure it could happen anywhere but in areas where carjackers come from and up and coming low income neighborhoods some potential victims might standout more and become a target.

Most JC carjackings are done by folks who live else where, we do get some knuckle heads trying but for the most part most jackers are coming from Newark, the Oranges and Brooklyn.

Brooklyn woman gets 21-year sentence in car theft ring involving 7 from Hudson County

Posted on: 2014/3/20 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Go to your local police Captain's meeting they can give you crime statistics near the Light Rail and the surrounding area. Also look at the various insurance premiums for that area. Insurance companies can determine how "good" or how "bad" a neighborhood is labeled.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 13:11
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Gentrification is spreading as the population increases - Any residential areas near the light-rail stations, train stations or transport hub will be highly desirable now and especially in the future. It will be just a matter of time before the socioeconomic and demographic make-up of society in those area change - Until then, expect crime and you'll need to invest in personal and property security till it does and it will change!

To speed up change, one only needs to establish a highly motivated residential association and lobby like hell, city hall, police and any and all law enforcement bodies.

Landlords would only need to increase their rentals by 5 - 10% yearly and you will see a slow exoduses of the working poor and those of welfare payments. Its sad, but being poor does create an environment of crime and anti-social behavior that can, and has, tarnished an entire class of people.

I agree 100% most would not be dtjc if there was no PATH and no one would be considering West Side, BeLa or GV if there was no Rail. Real Estate near transportation always does well. I been up here since 2011 and I have seen huge changes in the last three years as far as crime, and the many new faces from the Midwest jogging around Bayside Park.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Gentrification is spreading as the population increases - Any residential areas near the light-rail stations, train stations or transport hub will be highly desirable now and especially in the future. It will be just a matter of time before the socioeconomic and demographic make-up of society in those area change - Until then, expect crime and you'll need to invest in personal and property security till it does and it will change!

To speed up change, one only needs to establish a highly motivated residential association and lobby like hell, city hall, police and any and all law enforcement bodies.

Landlords would only need to increase their rentals by 5 - 10% yearly and you will see a slow exoduses of the working poor and those of welfare payments. Its sad, but being poor does create an environment of crime and anti-social behavior that can, and has, tarnished an entire class of people.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 3:30
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

As you can see here property crime is even less uptown than downtown.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Here is a JC crime map that may help. If you notice as you go uptown the colors and numbers change dramatically. 07304 seems to be hotter than July.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NYC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks but I can't change the dates. Seems like it only shows recent happenings. Also, I don't see anything related to the carjackings in the previous posts.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tunaboy wrote:

I would like to know if there is a crime map around that area. I can only pull up stuff from 2013. There was a murder near westside and virginia ave and another one was on orient ave between kennedy and bergen.

Crime in the area

Posted on: 2014/3/19 18:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NYC
Group:
Registered Users
Westside ave is a long street. This was more of a case of leaving the car running and someone hopping in and stealing it. The other one was an actual carjacking but isn't even close to westside ave.

I would like to know if there is a crime map around that area. I can only pull up stuff from 2013. There was a murder near westside and virginia ave and another one was on orient ave between kennedy and bergen.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/18 11:15
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
One thing to consider is that the Light Rail does not run 24 hours a day. The last train arrives at West Side Avenue at 2:17 am, departing Newport at 1:56 am. So if you will be out in the City until 2:00 am you will have to get a cab back from one of the PATH stations (not sure about bus routes).

Posted on: 2014/3/17 21:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
Never said it couldn't. Just updating the information.

Well the original post was about west side ave, which the link does represent. I could care less where people decide to live but I was trying to provide information.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/3/17 21:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/17 21:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NYC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

tunaboy wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

tunaboy wrote:
I currently live in Astoria and I am looking to rent in this area, how safe is it? I will be going out in the city and possible coming home late, around 2am. I visited and didn't feel unsafe but this was during the day. There's not much around there and seems a bit desolate.

Also, I read this article and it states that the unshaded areas of "the hill" are still not safe during the night. How accurate is this?
http://thepeacockpress.wordpress.com/ ... lice-stay-out-of-the-red/

The area itself probably isn't that bad, but avoid the light rail on that stretch at night. Get a cab from Journal Sq.

When you say night, after what time is considered unsafe?

After 8pm, when less commuters are around, there is a greater chance of an incident. The light rail and it's stations are not well policed. Kids out for trouble use it to get to Exchange Place, Newport mall and Hoboken for free. Two of the stations you need to pass (MLK and Garfield) are in the red zone on your map, though there have been evening and late night incidents at most of the stations - including Newport, LSP and Exchange Place. The Path trains and buses from NYC are much safer at night.

Ok, I just realized I can also take the 80 Bus to and from journal square. I'm hoping the bus is safer. Any late late nights ill just cab it from the path.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tunaboy wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

tunaboy wrote:
I currently live in Astoria and I am looking to rent in this area, how safe is it? I will be going out in the city and possible coming home late, around 2am. I visited and didn't feel unsafe but this was during the day. There's not much around there and seems a bit desolate.

Also, I read this article and it states that the unshaded areas of "the hill" are still not safe during the night. How accurate is this?

The area itself probably isn't that bad, but avoid the light rail on that stretch at night. Get a cab from Journal Sq.

After 8pm, when less commuters are around, there is a greater chance of an incident. The light rail and it's stations are not well policed. Kids out for trouble use it to get to Exchange Place, Newport mall and Hoboken for free. Two of the stations you need to pass (MLK and Garfield) are in the red zone on your map, though there have been evening and late night incidents at most of the stations - including Newport, LSP and Exchange Place. The Path trains and buses from NYC are much safer at night.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 5:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NYC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

denised wrote:
Not sure about the exact area you are looking at, but I can tell you that we moved from Astoria to jersey city as well and found downtown to be the closest to what we left in terms of safety. We lived near the blvd in Astoria on a very house-lined street and it was a bit of an adjustment here. We live about half a mile from grove path station and the closer you get to home the fewer people that are around at night, which is just a little unnerving as a female. But I would recommend downtown if safety is a prime issue for you.

Yeah, but downtown is more expensive. I used to live there as well until the flood. I guess there's a payoff.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
There was a similar thread asking about Westside and Claremont last year. (link below)

I said in the thread like others did the area is good in the day time a lot of activity. At night it is like most parts of JC you need to watch your back. If you are going to work and play in NYC and don?t want the high rents of DT look around Journal Square. There?s more stores, etc (India Square, Super Markets, Junk Food, and White Castle ) in Journal Square then in the West Side/HBLR area and you wouldn?t need to take the HBLR to PATH, the PATH station is right up in Journal Square. (if you didn?t know) So both Journal Square and Westside/HBLR aren?t bad.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29489

I don't mind journal square so i'll look into that as well.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 4:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NYC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

tunaboy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/17 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tunaboy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/17 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RebeccaS wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
It's a hellish war zone. If you like falling asleep to the sound of gunfire and explosions this is the neighborhood for you. The choice can be between hunger and running the gauntlet to Pathmark. Sometimes the bodies bake for hours in the noontime sun.

Don't forget the scenes evocative of "28 Days Later."

Yeah, good description of the Pathmark parking lot and shopping experience:

Quote:

This film is about a virus that makes the infected person mad with extreme rage and hungry for blood.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 1:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
It's a hellish war zone. If you like falling asleep to the sound of gunfire and explosions this is the neighborhood for you. The choice can be between hunger and running the gauntlet to Pathmark. Sometimes the bodies bake for hours in the noontime sun.

Don't forget the scenes evocative of "28 Days Later."

Posted on: 2014/3/17 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
There was a similar thread asking about Westside and Claremont last year. (link below)

I said in the thread like others did the area is good in the day time a lot of activity. At night it is like most parts of JC you need to watch your back. If you are going to work and play in NYC and don?t want the high rents of DT look around Journal Square. There?s more stores, etc (India Square, Super Markets, Junk Food, and White Castle ) in Journal Square then in the West Side/HBLR area and you wouldn?t need to take the HBLR to PATH, the PATH station is right up in Journal Square. (if you didn?t know) So both Journal Square and Westside/HBLR aren?t bad.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29489

Posted on: 2014/3/16 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/16 22:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure about the exact area you are looking at, but I can tell you that we moved from Astoria to jersey city as well and found downtown to be the closest to what we left in terms of safety. We lived near the blvd in Astoria on a very house-lined street and it was a bit of an adjustment here. We live about half a mile from grove path station and the closer you get to home the fewer people that are around at night, which is just a little unnerving as a female. But I would recommend downtown if safety is a prime issue for you.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 20:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017