Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Why are almost half of Fulop's meeting hidden?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Let's be honest.... if "the Jersey" had requested Healy's calendar, Jerry would have chuckled and, after a lot of back and forth, handed the reporter a fistful of balled-up cocktail napkins with scribbles on them.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Give me one scenario where someone needs confidentiality when speaking to a mayor.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
When the far left leaning nj.com/Star Ledger is hosting a story slamming Fulop for his extreme lack of transparency-it's a red flag.

When did the Star Ledger become far left leaning:
a. before they endorced CC
b. when they endorced CC
c. when they regretted endorcing CC

If the answer is b. what did CC do to disassociate himself from New Jersey's Pravda?

As far as Fulop's schedule goes, I hope he's getting laid. Maybe redacted can become a euphemism for f!!king.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
That law is there to protect public figure, it does little to promote transparency. The building, security, lights, water, etc is on the public dime. This is not a confession to a priest, these are people who are looking for favors with a person who has the power to grant their wishes. Now I have to write letters to my senator and assemblypeople to promote this change. A friend just emailed me and said Brian Stack meets with the public on the streets, everyone taking their turn. That is refreshing to hear.

Your friend is a little behind, Brian has been doing that for years. Brian doesn't meet with the public on the streets, the public seeks him out on what little private time he has. Go to any of his haunts & you will see. Now just because Brian does it, doesn't mean everyone else is hiding deep, dark secrets. I am sure Brian has a skeleton or two.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
?This points to the fundamental problem of allowing the official in question to make the redactions. It's the fox guarding the henhouse,? he said. ?I think their ?un-redacting? the League appointments suggests that there are more improper redactions.?

And the mayor who hasn't met a tweet he doesn't love has refused TWICE to comment on his profligate redaction habit.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 11:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This is sounding more and more like someone had lost their job when Healy lost his position. This sort of nitpicking and speculation without a policy or political catastrophe is on a personal level. Let Fulop foock-up and then jump him, but taking cheap ass pot-shots makes the accuser a sooky la-la in my book.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 7:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Here's my question - was Healy's schedule redacted like this all the time too? Did anyone ever request it?

Posted on: 2014/3/17 5:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
The Mayor is correctly following the precedent of court rulings on the state law and redacting what should be redacted. JJ is correctly reporting that fact. JCListers are attacking somebody for something. All is right with the world.

And completely agree with the fact that entering a public building does not strip people of their rights to privacy. A free flow of communication requires the right to confidentiality for a citizen wishing to speak privately with his or her elected officials.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some meetings have to be private in order for things like this to happen.

Many of us who pay taxes have met with the mayor, council president, and chief of police to discuss quality of life issues.. It is done in private to protect one's identity and safety.

When the far left leaning nj.com/Star Ledger is hosting a story slamming Fulop for his extreme lack of transparency-it's a red flag.

And again, if Christie redacted half his daily meetings the left sheeple would be screaming bloody murder-because that's what partisan hypocrites do.
"far left"

I see this thrown around a lot by guys like Bill O'Reilly. Basically, anyone who isn't a Republican is on the "far left" or "extreme left" as opposed to just being regular "left."

Posted on: 2014/3/17 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Where's the line between transparency and unnecessary interference (Heisenberg principle)? Constituents should have access to their mayor on private concerns without undue publicity. Some deals and campaigns need to be negotiated and planned behind closed doors.

Perhaps publish meeting details after the deals have been struck, but keep private individual's meetings private?

Posted on: 2014/3/17 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
WTF did Fulop do with that Malaysian airliner?

Posted on: 2014/3/17 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Amazing, Brian Stack, ignore this rule when he meets with the public.

We're supposed to believe Stack -- who has been running a solid political machine in Union City for years -- is as transparent as glass, because someone you know said he meets people in the street?

Do you genuinely believe that if you put in a FOIA request for his schedule from the past 6 months, he would give you the names of the people he talked to on the street? That he talks to people in the street specifically so he can record and report his schedule?

Even under the most charitable interpretation possible, I'd say you are confusing transparency with good ol' fashioned retail politics.

Nothing illegal ever happens when you meet people on the street.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/3/17 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
If Yvonne makes the FOIA request, for Stack's calendar. I'll help offset the copying cost.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Amazing, Brian Stack, ignore this rule when he meets with the public.

We're supposed to believe Stack -- who has been running a solid political machine in Union City for years -- is as transparent as glass, because someone you know said he meets people in the street?

Do you genuinely believe that if you put in a FOIA request for his schedule from the past 6 months, he would give you the names of the people he talked to on the street? That he talks to people in the street specifically so he can record and report his schedule?

Even under the most charitable interpretation possible, I'd say you are confusing transparency with good ol' fashioned retail politics.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You are right what you say is not my business, but the fact you are meeting with him should not be hidden. Amazing, Brian Stack, ignore this rule when he meets with the public.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A friend just emailed me and said Brian Stack meets with the public on the streets, everyone taking their turn. That is refreshing to hear.

So should Mayor Stack record the name of each person he meets with on the street and disclose it?

Posted on: 2014/3/17 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
That law is there to protect public figure, it does little to promote transparency.

That may be the case. But you cannot fault Fulop for obeying the law.

Quote:
The building, security, lights, water, etc is on the public dime.

That's not necessarily the case. Not all of Fulop's meetings are taking place in his office or in public buildings.

Nor is it any of your business if I pick up some parking passes, or apply for a building permit, or want to talk to Internal Affairs.

Quote:
This is not a confession to a priest, these are people who are looking for favors....

Again: If that is your concern, look at his donor list. I even gave you a link right to it.

If you do, you'll see that the single biggest donor to the Fulop campaign is... Steven Fulop. By a huge margin. Go figure.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
NONE of Fulop's meetings should be hidden from the public. None. 0.

For at least the 3rd time....

They cannot release the names of private individuals. That would be a violation of state law.

You wanna know his entire schedule? Change the law.

I stand correctef. So New Jersey Democrats and Republicans pass a law that prohibits them from revealing the names of people who are meeting them to give them $$$. Hooray!

Posted on: 2014/3/17 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Here is the general macro answer: he is Healy light.....for now.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That law is there to protect public figure, it does little to promote transparency. The building, security, lights, water, etc is on the public dime. This is not a confession to a priest, these are people who are looking for favors with a person who has the power to grant their wishes. Now I have to write letters to my senator and assemblypeople to promote this change. A friend just emailed me and said Brian Stack meets with the public on the streets, everyone taking their turn. That is refreshing to hear.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
What about developers who meet and ask for favors?

They are only allowed to release meeting information for government officials, govt employees, or when he's at a public event.

So yes, meetings with developers are not public data. In contrast, donations are all public, except for donors to specific types of SuperPACs.

Quote:
Granted the public may not be privilege to the content of the information but that is not the same as an individual or groups who enter city hall. The public should know.

As far as I know, the government is not required to publish the name or image of every single individual who enters City Hall, or knocks on the Mayor's door. Again, the intent of the law in question is to protect citizen privacy.

Nor would I particularly want to live in a city where that level of public information is released.

Again, you want to track who is influencing him? Look at his donor list. Here ya go, knock yourself out.

http://www.elec.state.nj.us/ElecRepor ... ewer.aspx?&LastName=fulop

Posted on: 2014/3/16 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

For at least the 3rd time....

They cannot release the names of private individuals. That would be a violation of state law.

You wanna know his entire schedule? Change the law.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
What about developers who meet and ask for favors? Are they considered private people? Anyone who walks into a public building should not expect privacy. Granted the public may not be privilege to the content of the information but that is not the same as an individual or groups who enter city hall. The public should know.

Absolutely right. The content of some meetings can hidden but not who he's meeting with.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What about developers who meet and ask for favors? Are they considered private people? Anyone who walks into a public building should not expect privacy. Granted the public may not be privilege to the content of the information but that is not the same as an individual or groups who enter city hall. The public should know.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some meetings have to be private in order for things like this to happen.

Many of us who pay taxes have met with the mayor, council president, and chief of police to discuss quality of life issues.. It is done in private to protect one's identity and safety.

Posts like this are why I don't regret being booted off of Democratic Underground. How stupid do you think people are? Keep up, Fulop, and you'll have a 40% approval rating like Obama does.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't find it surprising that only a portion of the Mayor's time is taken up with the kinds of "official" meetings that are legitimately public information.

What public interest is served by disclosing meetings with constituents, job applicants, aides, friends, family, etc?

Posted on: 2014/3/16 22:48
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Typical partisan replies, no shock.

Typical partisan deflection and Christie-love from Monroe. ;)

Quote:
It was Fulop who said he wanted a transparent administration.

State law prevents him from releasing the names of private citizens he meets. What do you want him to do, violate state law? Nice.

Plus, donations are transparent. That's what really counts.

Quote:
Do you really believe that 35 of 39 meetings he had during this convention were with private citizens entitled to privacy?

State law requires that he maintains their privacy.

Chances are he was meeting with donors, and donations are publicly disclosed. So yeah, not too worried about it -- for either Fulop or Christie.

So again: What was Christie's schedule during that period? And will you blast Christie if 40% of his meetings are with private individuals, whose names he cannot reveal without violating state law?

Posted on: 2014/3/16 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Typical partisan replies, no shock.

It was Fulop who said he wanted a transparent administration.

Who has then hid behind a cloudy law that lets HIM decide who to disclose.

Just how many 'private citizens' who might be constituents would have schlepped down to Atlantic City for meetings while the League of Municipality convention was going on? Do you really believe that 35 of 39 meetings he had during this convention were with private citizens entitled to privacy?

I guess Fulop thinks you're all idiots to buy that pile of manure.

"City attorneys charged with redacting the schedule were particularly free with their black markers for Fulop?s three-day stint at the League of Municipalities convention in Atlantic City. From Nov. 19 through Nov. 21, he had 39 items on his schedule. All but four are blacked out."

Posted on: 2014/3/16 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
This is probably a non-story. Meetings with private individuals are redacted for legal reasons; I don't think it's unique to Fulop. And OPRA requests are notoriously slow -- one of my reporter friends filed one her first week at work that still wasn't filled when she left for another job a couple years later.

We should be pushing for more responsiveness + openness statewide.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

But wait, I thought it was the "Looney Left" that keeps giving Fulop a pass?!?

I.e. no, it really isn't a problem for a news outlet to ask questions. That's pretty much their job.

Quote:
And again, if Christie redacted half his daily meetings the left sheeple would be screaming bloody murder-because that's what partisan hypocrites do.

Great. Go ahead and put in your FOIA request for Christie's calendar. We'd love to see it. Good luck with that, I'm sure they will provide it for you immediately.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 20:34

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017