Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Question on Safety of Brunswick Btwn 2/3rd
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
I purchased a condo in this area back in 2003. I sold it a year later and moved to 7th Street, just off B'wick where I have resided since. The thing to remember, is back in that area, especially west of B'wick, it is relatively quiet, especially at night, It is kind of secluded back there by Colgate and 2nd. So it is an excellent neighborhood in my opinion from a noise perspective. Also, the 2nd Street Bakery (family owned, I think) is just a gem of an old school Italian eatery, just out of this world in my opinion, in terms of the food and the value (really inexpensive!)

This area is totally safe, I wouldn't think twice about it but I am a relatively able bodied man, now in my forties.

But the place I bought back in '03, was I think considered "new construction" because it was a gut job and total renovation, six units in the building. In deference to the real estate interests of those living there now, I won't say which building. But here's the thing I want to say: it is my strong suspicion that the person or department within Jersey City Government that is responsible for enforcing building code got paid to look the other way during the construction of this building. I look at it now and see a building that will soon be characterized as dilapidated. The construction was so poor, you could literally hear the conversations in units above and below. Very cheap and shoddy work was done. I moved because there was no insulation between the apartments, it was as if I was living in a commune as opposed to a condo. So incredible that an inspector could have signed off in good conscience. This is important because a poorly constructed building affects the entire neighborhood in a negative way. I am very sorry that I did not pursue an independent investigation with an aim to sue. I am not a litigious type of person, but be careful with any purchases around there or anywhere downtown for that matter, especially on the entry-level type of properties. Fortunately, I did manage to sell at a profit just twelve months later but back then, everything was going up. Nonetheless, I am still pissed about the corruption that impacted me. It was dirty business indeed.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 23:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/6 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on 2nd between Monmouth and Brunswick for a year in 2010-2011 before we moved to Paulus Hook, and I always felt safe there. We were right across from the Latin Lounge which occasionally got a little rowdy on Fridays and Saturdays but that could happen anywhere in downtown. I love living in Paulus Hook but I do miss that area every now and again, especially with all the new businesses opening up in that area over the past 2 years.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 21:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/14 4:37
Group:
Registered Users
Click HERE for Village "Branding" from the 70s

Posted on: 2014/3/14 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
I live in the Village - love it. It's a great place to live with an active community. I am a young(ish) female and have never felt unsafe. I've lived in several different areas of downtown over the past 12 years, including Hamilton Park, but the Village is a my favorite section.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Sorry, but I think the attempt at branding "the Village" has been a failure. Perhaps it was stripped of all life and color along with the adjective "Italian" from the traditional "Italian Village" designation that was in disuse anyway. Perhaps people though you were heading to the train if you said you were going to "the Village". But it gets about as much use as "Avenue of the Americas".

Posted on: 2014/3/14 1:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/13 20:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
I've always liked calling it DUTO (pronounce do-toe). Down Under Turnpike Overpass

Posted on: 2014/3/13 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It's funny, Monmouth & Newark is fast becoming the the cutting edge hippest place Downtown. It must be the relatively low commercial rents compared to further east.

West of Monmouth....WoMo?

Posted on: 2014/3/12 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
I walked by White Eagle on Monday -- if it's done by the fall I will eat my hair.

you and me both. I don't see any progress.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 22:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by White Eagle on Monday -- if it's done by the fall I will eat my hair.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Once white eagle hall opens in the fall I expect that this area will start to get more foot traffic. It will be interesting to see what that does for existing and potential future businesses.

Wholeheartedly agree. Much more pedestrian traffic will come to fruition and will start to fill in the nascent but growing entertainment/restaurant row vision (Newark and down Grove). With White Eagle Hall, Madame Claude, Third & Vine, Union Republic, Pig & Pepper, Gia's Gelato, Tea Shop, it will be more of an evening place to saunter and shop, mingle, eat, etc. Is anything going on though at White Eagle Hall, there doesn't appear to be much activity.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Once white eagle hall opens in the fall I expect that this area will start to get more foot traffic. It will be interesting to see what that does for existing and potential future businesses.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/29 22:56
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, that's me :) Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2014/3/12 20:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
^^^^ "the little sundry shop near Gia's on Newark" -- that's you! :)

Love your place.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/29 22:56
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I opened my business on Newark between Monmouth and Third, and I LOVE THE NEIGHBORHOOD. I live in the Van Vorst area but these last few months here have really shown me that when a community cares, things get done around here.

What's so interesting about this JC Village area is that there are a core group of folks who are working hard to make this a great community. And they're laid back and chill about it.

There have been so many businesses that have opened since my shop Pig & Pepper opened in November:

Union Republic
Tea NJ
Third & Vine
Kasa Buddha
Raven Gallery & Boutique
Oma Duran Salon

Wait till the music venue opens!

Posted on: 2014/3/12 16:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I moved to The Village neighborhood spring of 2012 -- and I absolutely love it.

It's very diverse.

The Lamp Post is a great neighborhood spot.

Does the area have its "moments" Sure. But I made it a point early on to get to know my neighbors -- including the regulars and owners/managers of the "scary" Latin Lounge and Indio's (really? Not so scary.)

Yeah, Latin Lounge can be a little weird on Weekend nights when there's an influx of non-hood folks that come into the area. And all the bars can get a little loud.

But you know, you move onto a block with bars -- it's gonna happen.

I think it's a great mix of young artsy types, professionals, blue collar folks -- and maybe anex-showgirl hippie. ;)

All races and orientations and income levels seem well represented. New people and generations of families that have lived in the neighborhood forever. I love the diversity.

The HS kids can induce a little aggravation mid-day when they're hanging -- but you know, they're knucklehead teenagers, not scary thugs. I always have a smile and a hey for them, too.

The daycare kids out for their afternoon strolls are adorable. Everybody seems to have a dog.

I don't know -- City living, dudes. It's just .... know your neighbors, be a presence in your community, and things seem to flow from there. People are people and just living life, you know?

Love that new spots are opening up regularly -- Union Republic, Tachair Books, Gia's, the little sundry shop near Gia's on Newark -- and then the old-school bakeries like 2nd Street and Pecoraro's are conspiring to keep that extra 15 pounds on my ass!

And now ... let me just say that brand new 3rd & Vine spot is a-frickin-mazing. I put myself into the most lovely wine and cheese coma a few days ago at that place!

Anyway, I fall a little more in love with this neighborhood every day. I like its character. It works for me. I rarely, if ever, feel unsafe in my neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
This is an old thread that I 'm giving a bump up to. With all the new residential construction along Newark Ave, thereby bringing more folks back (further from Grove Street) has the area gotten any quieter/safer? Just wondering, thnx.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 0:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jaah37 wrote: What on earth does this mean???? Does this make sense at all? I may regret this but...explain yourself CLEARLY please!
Jaah37: I think this clearly falls into the classic Yahoo Answers - "How is Babby Formed" category. Complete mystery to me too.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I assume that the poster is referring to a perceived racist conspiracy against the Latin Lounge.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

jenco201 wrote:
I have been living in this area for 12 years. I recommend you look into the people that live here the longest. They greet you with happy faces but if your not with them in their ventures to destroy business they are welcoming you with a big nice smile and on your door a sign saying go away spics....so no this wouldnt be a nice place to raise your children ;)

if your not with them in their ventures to destroy business.

What on earth does this mean???? Does this make sense at all? I may regret this but...explain yourself CLEARLY please!

I assumed that the poster was running a local business and the intent of the sentence was:

They greet you with happy faces but if your not one of (with) them, in their attempt (ventures) to destroy your business they are welcoming you with a big nice smile and on your door a sign saying go away spics

I guess we have to assume the poster is Spanish as well and that there is some kind of organized conspiracy to run them out of town??
I don't know why I am wasting my time with this. Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

jenco201 wrote:
I have been living in this area for 12 years. I recommend you look into the people that live here the longest. They greet you with happy faces but if your not with them in their ventures to destroy business they are welcoming you with a big nice smile and on your door a sign saying go away spics....so no this wouldnt be a nice place to raise your children ;)

What on earth does this mean???? Does this make sense at all? I may regret this but...explain yourself CLEARLY please!

I assumed that the poster was running a local business and the intent of the sentence was:

They greet you with happy faces but if your not one of (with) them, in their attempt (ventures) to destroy your business they are welcoming you with a big nice smile and on your door a sign saying go away spics

Posted on: 2009/2/9 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jenco201 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/2/9 18:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/9 18:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/9 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Brunswick near 7th. All I can say is that if you are used to the waterfront, this area is probably not for you. I bought here a year and a half ago, don't know if I would recommend it. It's not bad, just a little dodgy. With kids, I think you can do better.

Vintage stores? Yeah, that makes me want to move to a neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 2:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/10 14:44
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
I also have to agree that this neighborhood is quiet compared to others, with the exception of this unusually bad week. We moved from Coles street which was so loud especially at night - the roads had so much foot and car traffic and the ambulances and police cars with sirens blaring caused us to move. We now live right near Indios and honestly, I think it is still pretty quiet. Although, I wish they would close that place down and this weekend's incident confirmed that for me...

Posted on: 2009/2/3 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
Hey Elvis,

Met you with the gal on the path last week.

I just moved here from Grove and Bay. Never a problem. I move 5 blocks and whammy. My personal feeling is it was a bad week.

Stuff like this happens in a city. Otherwise move to the burbs. Not you Elvis.

After living in Manhattan and Brooklyn for 22 years combined, just keep your guard up. Random madness does happen but to call a section unsafe is a bit over the top.
With regards to police, the only time I see them is when they go to the corner stores for a coffee. Then again maybe that is their way of showing presence.

We also bought Downtown in "the village area" after living forever in the LES/Manhattan and then in Williamsburg/Brooklyn. Since our move "the village area" has vastly improved especially over the past 4 years -- but since we own -- we like all the new buildings & construction that has been ongoing -- but keep in mind we don't live next to the Latin lounge or Indio's Bar -- so what can I say? I agree with Brooklynboy; "It was a bad week -- Stuff like this happens in a city -- Otherwise move to the burbs!" That said obviously we want the area to keep improving even in this huge economic downturn.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
probably a police scanner. "Problem on Brunswick". etc

Posted on: 2009/2/3 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsquared wrote:
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Also, does anyone else see the irony in Grove Path posting the story about the shooting on First and Brunswick, or is it just me?

Total irony, elvis-- I would agree.

I wonder too if this grovepath character actually lives in the neighborhood that he describes as "very quiet." From the fire-house alarms/ sirens, to the occasional street ruckus, to the seemingly constant construction projects, this wasn't my experience at all.

Also, I gotta back you up for not knowing what GP meant by the second "vintage shop" in the neighborhood. That's certainly not how I would describe that place on 3rd & Newark either.

Elvis, you made an astute observation!

Posted on: 2009/2/3 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Elvis,

Yes the poo story was great.

The "burb" statement was not reflecting you.

I have never said "this" neighborhood is quite. I just have become used to the basic noise. Now local pubs and school kids are loud.

Would I raise a child? I look out my window and there are 3 day care places. I do not have any idea.

We have 1 plant ( and you no why that is happen'n).

I have been visiting this site for a lil bit of time but never found this "hood' to be a problem.

Maybe I a wrong. I am in for another 11 months. We are still thinking of buying.

I am still a city kid and keep the "scruff" up.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
It was nice meeting you the other day Brooklyn. I will always smile thinking of that thief with the Tiffany bag full of poo.

I am aware of this city having lived here for many years. I don't think its anything it is not. I am aware of its pros and its cons. But for anyone to say this is a quiet neighborhood, that's just plain wrong. This shooting is just another example.

Having lived in this neighborhood for 3 years now, I can honestly say, it's anything but quiet. I never claimed to want the suburbs. I love this city warts and all. Would I raise kids here? Nope.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 23:26

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017