Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Columbus Drive between Jersey Ave and Barrow. Is it safe for a single woman to live there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
And for added safety you've got a 20 foot vinyl banner of Steve and Candace flapping in the wind looking down over you from the side of 169 Columbus.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:06

Re: Columbus Drive between Jersey Ave and Barrow. Is it safe for a single woman to live there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AnaisRose wrote:
Yeah, thanks for that spotcrime website. It looks like the crime level is nothing to worry about. I'm now looking at a studio on Wayne St one block over from the park and other activity. I went there last night around 7:30 and I did see a neighborhood watch sign. But I felt perfectly fine there. People were outside taking out trash, saw all kinds of people and couples walking down the street. It looks nice and I bet the trees look beautiful in front of the brownstones in the warmer weather

That area is perfectly fine. You should have no concerns there at all...

Posted on: 2014/3/7 17:26
Dos A Cero

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/13 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, thanks for that spotcrime website. It looks like the crime level is nothing to worry about. I'm now looking at a studio on Wayne St one block over from the park and other activity. I went there last night around 7:30 and I did see a neighborhood watch sign. But I felt perfectly fine there. People were outside taking out trash, saw all kinds of people and couples walking down the street. It looks nice and I bet the trees look beautiful in front of the brownstones in the warmer weather

Posted on: 2014/3/6 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Go to spotcrime and see the crime activity by address.

As you can see DTJC is pretty safe with disturbances, some muggings, and just burglaries.

Compared to other sections of JC where all you see are guns (which symbolize shootings)...

Posted on: 2014/3/5 17:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It felt more intense than a slight nervousness. I don't doubt the safety anymore but the noise level would eventually annoy me and I may find something better on the market in my price range.

Someone else made a deposit on a unit before I did at a place on Jersey and Bright. I was feeling nervous about that one but realized it was just a nervousness about familiarity, and that I would have been happy there. Unfortunately at the time I didn't realize how competitive this market could be so I took too long to decide.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
That block is perfectly safe. The only thing wrong with it is you're living on a huge street with lots of cars

Posted on: 2014/3/5 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
The area you're looking in is safe and fine. Some of your nervousness likely has to do with familiarity.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 13:22
Dos A Cero

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am ultimately kidding myself when I say I would feel ok living there knowing this in advanced. However thank you for the honest insights about the area. I now know I have nothing to be concerned about walking past the block and that it is "safe" but living on the actual block in the middle of all the entertainment might not be in my best interest. I had a nagging "don't live there" feeling all along, although it looked ok. I think the information you have provided me is the reason why I had that feeling.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 12:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
Questions like this come up often and I think it depends on what you consider safe.

Yeah, to me "safe" means not likely to be mugged, raped or assaulted. People who might be a bit rowdy doesn't mean unsafe.

Quote:

bear wrote:
I was going to mention the high amount of "activity" and noise level on that block, but everyone beat me to it and you don't seem to mind.

...just don't plan on escaping to the back bedroom when you actually want to get some sleep - if I'm not mistaken the park on Wayne is mid-block behind those buildings on Columbus - which is also "active" and loud at all hours.

So it will be coming from all sides...

The park behind looks like it's closer to the Barrow St side but I'll take another look for myself

Posted on: 2014/3/4 22:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty much what everybody else said.

I'm a 30-something lady and have walked those two blocks on my way home from the PATH every night for the last two years. Never ultra late at night - but 8PM-9PM - I feel very safe.

No, JC is not the suburbs. Yes, the block is noisy.

I lived in Center City Philly for a year and truly did fear for my life some nights, but I've never felt like that here in JC. A lot of it has to do with the activity on the block - there's almost always people around, cars passing, busses passing. And I've never felt uncomfortable or gotten cat-called walking down the block.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 22:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/12 22:40
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
I was going to mention the high amount of "activity" and noise level on that block, but everyone beat me to it and you don't seem to mind.

...just don't plan on escaping to the back bedroom when you actually want to get some sleep - if I'm not mistaken the park on Wayne is mid-block behind those buildings on Columbus - which is also "active" and loud at all hours.

So it will be coming from all sides...

Posted on: 2014/3/4 21:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Questions like this come up often and I think it depends on what you consider safe.

This is one of the older blocks that have been refurbrished in the recent years. There tends to be some of the old timers that havent been pushed out of the neighborhood who like to hang out on the stoop and enjoy a couple of beverages in the summertime.

I have a female friend that lives at one of those units and although she does gets annoyed with them, she has never felt unsafe.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, extremely safe. I know several single and married women who walk that stretch to get home by themselves regularly.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 21:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
^lol at "neighborhood watch" See I was thinking similarly when I looked at this area. I'm not home a lot and often come home late from NYC and thought it would be wiser to choose a place where it doesn't feel so desolate at night, when walking alone. These people sound fun, the vibe sounds like something you might see in some parts of Brooklyn. (playing outside with cards) The unit is a few stories up so maybe then noise won't bother me. And I forgot I lived in New Brunswick in the heart of the city during college for two semesters so I have had a city experience before.

It sounds like it will be super different from what I'm used to in the suburbs but I think I'm up for the change. Thank you for all the feedback.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
I live on Columbus between Coles/Varick and Monmouth, so I walk that section twice a day. I've never felt unsafe.

In nice weather, there are a number of people hanging out on the stoops in front of the buildings between Jersey and Barrow. I've found them to be friendly/non-threatening. Not sure how loud they get. I have heard the bands practicing when walking by.

I call them the "neighborhood watch." On that block they treat the sidewalks by the stoops as a sort of extended living room - card tables with card games going, sometimes blasting music from cars parked out front. They are boisterous but generally friendly and harmless. I wouldn't want to live on that exact block due to the noise but I'd rather have eyes watching the neighborhood than a desolate stretch.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 20:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
I live on Columbus between Coles/Varick and Monmouth, so I walk that section twice a day. I've never felt unsafe.

In nice weather, there are a number of people hanging out on the stoops in front of the buildings between Jersey and Barrow. I've found them to be friendly/non-threatening. Not sure how loud they get. I have heard the bands practicing when walking by.

That sounds fun. I want to meet new people when I move out there and I like bands.

The unit I'm looking at is closer to the Jersey Ave side, so I don't think I would hear them practicing from a place on the corner of Barrow

Posted on: 2014/3/4 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/4 20:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yojimbo wrote:

However, if you like it quiet, that may be a different story. Last year that block seemed to enjoy partying outside a lot.

A friend of mine lived in an apartment on Columbus btwn jersey and barrow (closer to barrow) and he couldn't stand the noise. he said that bands practice in the building on the corner of barrow and Columbus that looks like an abandoned warehouse and you can hear it all throughout the night. he would also complain about the random people yelling outside during the middle of the night.

of course living in the city noise is expected, it just seems this stretch of Columbus is noiser than the "norm"

if you can put up with it, I'd say it's pretty safe.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AnaisRose wrote:
Well, I walk alone at night in Manhattan all the time and I feel super safe there.

People often believed they were safer in the light, thinking monsters only came out at night. But safety ? like light ? is a facade.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 19:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for all the feedback. Well, I walk alone at night in Manhattan all the time and I feel super safe there. This place in JC is only 2 minutes walking from Grove St PATH, which I felt was better than doing a 10 minute walk alone. And I'd be walking from there most of the time

And I do own pepper spray just in case but from that captioned photo and other messages above, I'm getting the impression this area can get sketchy later at nights.

Yeah I like Paulus Hook. I haven't been able to land anything I can afford though

Edited: Oh if they like to party, maybe I'll join them. lol

Posted on: 2014/3/4 19:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/15 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
It's totally fine. There are people walking up and down Columbus at all hours of the night, and it's well lit.

However, if you like it quiet, that may be a different story. Last year that block seemed to enjoy partying outside a lot.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AnaisRose wrote:
I'm considering an apartment on Columbus Dr between Jersey Ave and Barrow a couple blocks from the Grove ST PATH. Is it generally safe? I know that Downtown is considered the nicest part of JC, however, I heard the area had higher crime than other places in downtown...that opinion was from 7 years ago though and I know it has changed a lot. I never lived in a city before but I spend a lot of time in NYC and I felt fine walking down the street in the evening yesterday. But I was wondering if I was missing something, I feel a little nervous with this new experience I guess. Thanks.

Safe enough not to get killed and/or raped. Not totally safe enough to not get mugged.

Safer areas closer to waterfront

Posted on: 2014/3/4 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's pretty safe, although I wouldn't be crazy about my daughter walking alone there late at night. Of course, that applies to almost anyplace today.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/3/4 19:19

Columbus Drive between Jersey Ave and Barrow. Is it safe for a single woman to live there?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm considering an apartment on Columbus Dr between Jersey Ave and Barrow a couple blocks from the Grove ST PATH. Is it generally safe? I know that Downtown is considered the nicest part of JC, however, I heard the area had higher crime than other places in downtown...that opinion was from 7 years ago though and I know it has changed a lot. I never lived in a city before but I spend a lot of time in NYC and I felt fine walking down the street in the evening yesterday. But I was wondering if I was missing something, I feel a little nervous with this new experience I guess. Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 19:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017