Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Newport Ferry Dock Dismantled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
The fare was $8 each way, but if you bought a 10 pack of tickets, it was only $80!!! Wow, a 0% discount!!! Even the morons at PATH throw you a bone with a discount on the smartlink card. So, it was $16 round trip and if you wanted to bring your bike, that was an extra $1 per trip.

Again...buh-bye ferry.

Well, if you got a monthly pass you did get something of a discount. Admittedly, it was far more expensive than the PATH or bus and I couldn't afford to take it all the time either. Still it was nice to have that choice and I think it made the PATH trains less crowded.

Furthermore, if nobody really used it, why did they have a stop there for so many years? Nor did my previous questions get answered... why the stop at Paulus Hook when there is a PATH station right next door?

Also, like I said, while I never saw many people get on in the morning, I saw tons of people going both directions in the evenings. New York Waterway simply won't say as to whether it was a profitable stop or not.

I think New York Waterway communicated very loudly as to the question of Newport being a profitable stop.

Yes, I guess they did, but why did they have a stop at Newport for so many years if it wasn't profitable for them? Were they just being nice? Furthermore, until the hurricane, that stop was "unstaffed" (unlike Paulus Hook) and only had a machine. It couldn't have been terribly expensive to run.

Just being nice??? All they were doing is what any other business does. They think they see an opportunity, they try to make a go of it, then over time, they find out whether it will work out or not. It turns out it didn't work financially. No different than any other business that opens up then shuts down after a while like a restaurant or gym or pretty much anything else.

Okay, you win. My white flag has been waved. What you said makes sense. At least we had something of a dialogue about this issue.

True that.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
NYWaterway has a long and spotty history at Newport. There were times when the catamaran hull boat would run, SRO in the morning. And the the little launch boats, again often full.

The dock is collapsing, and between fuel prices and the ever relocating lavalamp-like demographic of Newport, it must have been frustrating for Arthur's accountants. Imagine trying to forecast?

I rode the ferry for years, traded jokes with Steve Scott, laughed at the crazy panhandler girl, enjoyed a cocktail and saw amazing sunsets and, yes, seals. The ferry will be back. I won't weigh in on the value, that's personal and enjoy your Yellowtail merlot, bitches.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 4:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. You're hilarious. Quit your job at BK and get into standup comedy. You'll make a mint.

Quote:

Loopy wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
The fare was $8 each way, but if you bought a 10 pack of tickets, it was only $80!!! Wow, a 0% discount!!! Even the morons at PATH throw you a bone with a discount on the smartlink card. So, it was $16 round trip and if you wanted to bring your bike, that was an extra $1 per trip.

Again...buh-bye ferry.

You appear very angry at being too poor to take the ferry. I understand, but you should see someone about that before it becomes a problem, because if you don't, the next thing you know you'll be embarrassing yourself on some internet forum.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Again...buh-bye ferry.

Well, if you got a monthly pass you did get something of a discount. Admittedly, it was far more expensive than the PATH or bus and I couldn't afford to take it all the time either. Still it was nice to have that choice and I think it made the PATH trains less crowded.

Furthermore, if nobody really used it, why did they have a stop there for so many years? Nor did my previous questions get answered... why the stop at Paulus Hook when there is a PATH station right next door?

Also, like I said, while I never saw many people get on in the morning, I saw tons of people going both directions in the evenings. New York Waterway simply won't say as to whether it was a profitable stop or not.

I think New York Waterway communicated very loudly as to the question of Newport being a profitable stop.

Yes, I guess they did, but why did they have a stop at Newport for so many years if it wasn't profitable for them? Were they just being nice? Furthermore, until the hurricane, that stop was "unstaffed" (unlike Paulus Hook) and only had a machine. It couldn't have been terribly expensive to run.

Just being nice??? All they were doing is what any other business does. They think they see an opportunity, they try to make a go of it, then over time, they find out whether it will work out or not. It turns out it didn't work financially. No different than any other business that opens up then shuts down after a while like a restaurant or gym or pretty much anything else.

Okay, you win. My white flag has been waved. What you said makes sense. At least we had something of a dialogue about this issue.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Again...buh-bye ferry.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Again...buh-bye ferry.

You appear very angry at being too poor to take the ferry. I understand, but you should see someone about that before it becomes a problem, because if you don't, the next thing you know you'll be embarrassing yourself on some internet forum.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Again...buh-bye ferry.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Again...buh-bye ferry.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
No, it was run and owned by Waterway, but Goldman has a contract with them such that during business hours (after 9:30 and before 4:30pm, I think), GS employees can ride the ferry for free (under the assumption that they're going back and forth for meetings between the JC and lower manhattan offices). They will need to show ID and they were scanned by Waterway employees.

I think some other companies may have a similar deal as well.

Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Also, I think the PH ferry is run by Goldman Sacs. I think it's free for their employees.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
New York Waterway simply won't say as to whether it was a profitable stop or not.

I believe they have "spoken" quite clearly through this action.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Again...buh-bye ferry.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 1:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No. I would have used the ferry it was even close to being competitive with PATH. Right now I can get in and out of NYC and use MTA and PATH for the same cost as a one way trip on the ferry. I don't know about you, but I'm not independently wealthy.

Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Again...buh-bye ferry.

You hated that ferry!

Posted on: 2014/2/21 0:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Too bad. I relied on the Newport ferry to get to midtown during the year or two after 9/11 when the 33rd St. PATH was nightmarishly crowded. Haven't used it since, but it's always good to have a backup.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Again...buh-bye ferry.

You hated that ferry!

Posted on: 2014/2/20 22:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Also, I think the PH ferry is run by Goldman Sacs. I think it's free for their employees.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
From what I saw as a very occasional ferry-goer ($16 RT adds up fast) Newport had much lower ridership than Paulus Hook and Liberty Harbor; often just one or two people would board there. It's also not that long a walk to the PH pier.

Once I took the ferry into the city at like 4pm from Liberty Harbor, and I was the only person on the boat. It was awesome.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
My apartment overlooks where the ferry dock was and AT BEST 10 people boarded each time run. No one used it.

The choice wasn't difficult an $8 ferry ride or a $1.50 PATH fare to NYC.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Again...buh-bye ferry.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My apartment overlooks where the ferry dock was and AT BEST 10 people boarded each time run. No one used it.

Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
The ferry was impractical. It was way too expensive. A one way ticket cost as much a 3-4 trips on PATH. Plus, it dumped you at 39th street in Manhattan and from there the bus service NYW provided was limited and slow. You'd still have to pay MTA to get anywhere.

Buh-bye ferry.

So why do they still have it over at Paulus Hook, where there is also a PATH station nearby? (at least, one that operates on weekdays)

Furthermore, while the Newport ferry stop never seemed all that busy in the morning, it was always very busy in the evenings, with people going both directions (people heading back home to Newport from Manhattan, and people headed back to Manhattan from Newport).

What irks me the most is that the news media isn't even reporting this at all. This at least deserves a short news story. It's like New York Waterway has paid everyone to keep their mouths shut about it (not claiming they did). I did here back from the Jersey Journal and the Jersey City Independent when I contacted them about it, but I have yet to see anything on their websites.

I always see a lot of traffic coming on and off the PH Ferry. I can't speak to the one in Newport.

I imagine a lot of Goldman employees, among others use the PH ferry. I know AIG at least used to cover the fare for employees to commute between the their downtown NYC office to their JC office.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
The ferry was impractical. It was way too expensive. A one way ticket cost as much a 3-4 trips on PATH. Plus, it dumped you at 39th street in Manhattan and from there the bus service NYW provided was limited and slow. You'd still have to pay MTA to get anywhere.

Buh-bye ferry.

So why do they still have it over at Paulus Hook, where there is also a PATH station nearby? (at least, one that operates on weekdays)

Furthermore, while the Newport ferry stop never seemed all that busy in the morning, it was always very busy in the evenings, with people going both directions (people heading back home to Newport from Manhattan, and people headed back to Manhattan from Newport).

What irks me the most is that the news media isn't even reporting this at all. This at least deserves a short news story. It's like New York Waterway has paid everyone to keep their mouths shut about it (not claiming they did). I did here back from the Jersey Journal and the Jersey City Independent when I contacted them about it, but I have yet to see anything on their websites.

I always see a lot of traffic coming on and off the PH Ferry. I can't speak to the one in Newport.

I imagine a lot of Goldman employees, among others use the PH ferry. I know AIG at least used to cover the fare for employees to commute between the their downtown NYC office to their JC office.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What is the story here? The few people who took the ferry from Newport now have to ride PATH? Big deal.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:

Buh-bye ferry.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Buh-bye ferry.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

virilis82 wrote:
In case anyone was wondering if the ferry terminal would ever reopen, it's been completely dismantled. So in the past month, service has been cancelled on weekends to WTC and Exchange Place, and the Newport Ferry Terminal is gone.

I already mentioned that last month. According to New York Waterway's Facebook page, they couldn't come to an agreement with the owners of the dock space about rebuilding the dock. I contacted all the local media about this but so far nobody has published anything about it. Contacting New York Waterway has been like talking to a wall, aside from what they mentioned on their Facebook page.

I've contacted Candace Osborne's office a few times about it too, but I don't think there's much she can push for because New York Waterway is a for-profit, private entity so I guess they can do whatever they want. While I admittedly did not see a lot of people getting on that ferry at Newport in the morning, I did see a lot of people going both directions (i.e. reverse commuters) in the evenings. It seemed like there was money to be made by serving that stop, but apparently not enough.

I will miss that ferry from Newport but I have mentioned it on this board before and didn't get much reaction, so I guess there just aren't enough people that really care about it anyway.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 5:21

Newport Ferry Dock Dismantled

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 17:09
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
In case anyone was wondering if the ferry terminal would ever reopen, it's been completely dismantled. So in the past month, service has been cancelled on weekends to WTC and Exchange Place, and the Newport Ferry Terminal is gone.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 4:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017