Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Public Meeting with Port Authority Reps: 2/18/14 @ 7:30pm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody get this "directors" card?
So nothing on running the train from Grove
to 33rd WITHOUT going through Hoboken?
And nothing about being able to take a Ferry?
What a colossal waste of time.
Has Mayor Fulop issued ANY statements
on this at all? Yikes.
And how do we know they're even doing
this work every weekend?
Maybe they'll raise the fare again and add
insult to injury.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
I was at the meeting tonight. Lots of excuses and "we'll make a note of your feedback" type responses, little good news aside from the fact that weekend ferry service hasn't been ruled out entirely yet.

Lots of bizarre new info, like they're taking the fact that 10% fewer people rode the PATH last weekend than usual (during a snowstorm) as some sort of evidence for something?

Cross-honoring with the HBLR just means you can ride if you show a metrocard or smartlink card. But EXP's machines will only be open 9-5, so if you wanna buy one of those outside of those hours, you're out of luck and will just have to pay for a light rail ticket too.

No discussion of the upcoming fare hike, no suggested accomodations for disabled riders, and no attempt to explain the short notice.

Oh yeah, and there was a quick little mention at the end.... that when WTC is done, we get to do this all over again for the 33rd St. line.

FGD - I'd like to suggest that you flesh out your post and submit it to the NYTimes as a letter to the editor. It would make a logical follow-up to their editorial. In my limited experience, you will be called or e-mailed to verify that you actually wrote the letter and that you did not send it to other newspapers.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 14:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 17:46
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
The director also mentioned that they are continuing the 'around the world' service because people want to go to Hoboken... when it was suggested that they take the light rail, it was quickly rebuffed. ironic.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I believe they mentioned that it was impossible to run 2 train lines through Hoboken as they needed another terminus (exchange) place to turn around. And, as we know exchange is terminus under repair on weekends. Although Christopher is a terminus they couldn't consider it because of potential platform congestion......I'm sure there are smart engineers or MBAs that can figure out streamlining the schedules to avoid conflict. Surely, the PATH has enough man power to figure thus out????

The director didn't seem to know how to explain it.

Also, I doubt those PATH employees ever use the PATH. It was horrible last weekend. The director quoted that ridership was 10% down as an excuse that frequency was adequate but a girl smartly answered it was likely due to inclement weather.

Quote:

josh1985 wrote:
Wow, a potential future weekend closure of the 33rd street line? As soon as this fight is done, let's get right on that. Although I have some doubts of that actually happening simply because Hoboken would have absolutely no path service at all. Interesting to see how it plays out, I really hope they are able to come to a solution that includes both ferry service and separate 33rd/Hoboken lines.

On that note, the article mentions a lot about the ferry but what was PATH's response to dedicated weekend lines (not going through HOB)?

Posted on: 2014/2/19 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

It was inferred last night that after work on the exchange WTC was complete, they would move onto repairs to the 33rd line. Hopefully by that time, the connections at Fulton station hub will provide more access to nyc than the 33rd line, albeit at an additional cost. None of this is ideal. Fr those in Hoboken, you will likely have to walk or take light rail to a nearby path station.

This is the perfect opportunity for those mini van operators to put In a new route from DTJC to nyc.

Quote:

josh1985 wrote:
Wow, a potential future weekend closure of the 33rd street line? As soon as this fight is done, let's get right on that. Although I have some doubts of that actually happening simply because Hoboken would have absolutely no path service at all. Interesting to see how it plays out, I really hope they are able to come to a solution that includes both ferry service and separate 33rd/Hoboken lines.

On that note, the article mentions a lot about the ferry but what was PATH's response to dedicated weekend lines (not going through HOB)?

Posted on: 2014/2/19 13:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 22:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/19 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:

Oh yeah, and there was a quick little mention at the end.... that when WTC is done, we get to do this all over again for the 33rd St. line.

This will be absolutely disgusting. The number of people on that train on the weekends is close to double what I see on WTC. That is MY personal commute, and will cost me actual money as well as a significant increase in time spent getting to and from work.

Then what happens. Do they close Grove St. and Newport every weekend for a few months?

They clearly need to do work at those stations, but they will obviously not shut them down completely, as trains will have to pass through them. They could - of course - have done the SAME THING that they're almost assuredly going to do here. They'll probably close one tunnel and have all the trains let off on the right side of the platform til that's done, then switch to the left side.

Again, they COULD have done that on the WTC line, and SHOULD do that on the 33rd line when it comes down to it.

In fact, why the hell are they shutting down two stations at the same time right now? Are they really doing work at both stations, rather than concentrating on doing the work at WTC and in the tunnel? Why not run the trains from NWK-EXP on weekends? SO MANY other options they could be doing right now that would simply be an inconvenience with a delay rather than a complete cancellation of service. When's that tarring and feathering?

Posted on: 2014/2/19 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
What I find particularly puzzling in this entire mess of (almost) unannounced weekend shutdowns in the NWK/WTC service is that very few (if anyone) seems to have reached the logical extension/conclusion of what is ahead: if NWK/WTC had to be shut down for "federally-mandated" safety improvements, it is then logical that the same will be true for the JSQ/33rd line. So, does that mean that the JSQ/33rd St line will be shut down in 2015? Or, 2016? Because, at some point, it will have to be shut down to carry out the same improvements, right?

The meeting summary provided by FakeGreenDress seems to confirm that when (s)he points out that the PA representative mentioned as much towards the end of the meeting.

Quite honestly, this whole mess with the PATH (and the assumption on my part that the same will happen in 2015 with the JSQ lines) have me rethinking my choice of living here. As much as enjoy living in JC, and it's been a fun 8 years, stuff like this is very disheartening and may just be a deal breaker.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City residents vent at a meeting on PATH station closures

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
February 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Angry Jersey City residents confronted the director of the PATH train system over the weekend closures of the Exchange Place and World Trade Center stations at a meeting at which Councilwoman Candice Osborne vowed to bring a ferry stop to Exchange Place.

?I will not sleep until we get a ferry,? said Osborne after the standing room only meeting tonight at the Barrow Mansion at which PATH Director Stephen Kingsberry bore the brunt of residents? frustration.

Osborn said there is already a ferry from Jersey City to the World Trade Center that leave from a dock behind the Goldman Sachs building and she said she will try to have it make a stop at nearby Exchange place on the way.

The PATH stations began closing on Saturday and will be closed nearly every weekend this year and possibility into 2015 for a federally mandated, $580 million project that the Port Authority says will replace its mechanical train controls with computerized signals.

Once installed, the system will allow for more frequent train service, the agency said.
At the meeting a representative of the Hyatt Regency Jersey City at Exchange Place told Kingsberry ?We market ourselves as a hotel that is convenient located across the river from Manhattan and by closing that PATH Station you are impacting our ability to serve our guests.?

Others complained that not enough prior notice was given to residents before the closures began. Another told the director the closures will have an impact on business in Jersey City.

On man said many residents located in Downtown because it provided easy access to Manhattan but ?it?s a really a pain trying to get a stroller down to Grove Street to get to the PATH?You are just not providing us with options that people who have families need to use the service.?

During the closures, passengers traveling to Lower Manhattan should use the Journal Square-33rd (HOB) and connect to New York Transit subways or buses (a separate fare is required), according to the Port Authority website.

Recommended transfer points include the 1 train from Christopher Street (exit PATH at Christopher Street), the A/C/E subway trains at West 4th Street (exit PATH at 9th Street), 2/3 subway trains from 14th Street (exit PATH at 14th Street), or the R train from 34th Street (exit PATH at 33RD Street), the website says.

Osborne also noted that people on fixed incomes or who are low income would have to pay additional fares when they transferred to subway lines and Kingsberry said that is an issue he would look into.

Numerous people suggest different possible routes they thought would make the closures more bearable but Kingsberry said the federal government ?requires us to complete it by 2015 and that mandates the shutdown on the weekends. We just can?t possibly do all that work while we are running 24/7.?

After the meeting that lasted about 45 minutes, Kingsberry said he was pessimistic that an alternate system of routes would work.

The stations will not be closed on major holidays. Additional information is available at the Port Authority's websitel.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ost_473.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/2/19 5:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the meeting tonight. Lots of excuses and "we'll make a note of your feedback" type responses, little good news aside from the fact that weekend ferry service hasn't been ruled out entirely yet.

Lots of bizarre new info, like they're taking the fact that 10% fewer people rode the PATH last weekend than usual (during a snowstorm) as some sort of evidence for something?

Cross-honoring with the HBLR just means you can ride if you show a metrocard or smartlink card. But EXP's machines will only be open 9-5, so if you wanna buy one of those outside of those hours, you're out of luck and will just have to pay for a light rail ticket too.

No discussion of the upcoming fare hike, no suggested accomodations for disabled riders, and no attempt to explain the short notice.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 2:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Frankly I am also very disappointed several days ago when passengers were told to disembarked at an alternative entrance all the way on West street near the waterfront at least a ten minute walk from the usual escalator entrance which was closed. You have all these personnel standing around with suits doing nothing. Common sense would mean getting some Scotch tape and paper with hand written directions pasted on the wall showing people where to go instead of them wandering around looking for exits in those half constructed labyrinthian tunnels to their regular destination. Imagine if there was a fire ! The only people offerring directions were the private security guards working at their posts.
All the recent events will bring this invisible government answerable to the public in time. If NY and NJ cannot proceed with some constructive reform, its time the Federal Govenrment step in to reform this monster organization.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone else get this standard letter from them when you wrote them? I still think they need to rid themselves of the Hoboken stop on the weekends.

To the PATH community:

Our decision to suspend weekend PATH service at the World Trade and Exchange Place stations was made only after many discussions with our professional staff and was not taken lightly. As an agency that prides itself in the movement of people and goods, temporary service outages at any of our facilities is always done as a last resort and only after all practical options have been considered.

Your letter talks about the hardship that you face with the closings of these two important stations, and as a regular mass transit commuter myself, I clearly understand the issues you face. But we made the decision for one very important reason: public safety. The Positive Train Control (PTC) system we are installing on PATH, which requires the weekend shutdowns, will greatly enhance PATH safety and prevent what may potentially be life-threatening accidents. We are committed to meeting the December 2015 mandate set by the Federal Railroad Administration to complete this work, and have lost more than a year?s worth of progress on this project due to the damage sustained as a result of Superstorm Sandy. Additionally, we are still completing essential restoration and resiliency work, including power-washing of the tunnels and replacing almost 90 percent of their utilities and infrastructure?all of which must be done to fight against salt corrosion we are battling due to the flooding that occurred during the storm.

Prior to the weekend closings, we undertook extensive marketing efforts to get the word out to all of those travelers who may be inconvenienced by the closings. In addition to announcing and advertising the closures in all of our stations, on our website, in the media, through PATHAlerts, and via Twitter, we also sent a series of communications to building managers in the Exchange Place area and met with your local elected officials. We also put in place the following concrete mitigation steps:

1. We took steps to increase service ? and decrease wait times ? on the Journal Square to 33rd Street (via Hoboken) line. This line is now running with an average of ten-minute headways during the day on weekends, and 15-minute headways where we used to run every 35 minutes.

2. Passengers can still access PATH service to Manhattan from Grove Street, Newport, and Journal Square stations in Jersey City, in addition to Hoboken, Newark, and Harrison.

3. Additionally, we worked with NJ Transit to cross-honor PATH tickets on the Hudson Bergen Light Rail at the Exchange Place, Newport and Hoboken stations during the weekend PATH closings. We also have coordinated with NJ Transit and New York City subway officials about letting their potential connecting customers know of the station outages.

4. A PATH Passenger Information Agent is also stationed at the World Trade Center and Exchange Place stations from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on both weekend days to help guide any travelers who require additional assistance getting to their destinations.

PATH will evaluate this past holiday weekend?s station closures as well the coming weekend and consider any other potential changes. We will continue to explore suggestions you and other PATH customers make to us, and will look for other practical options to mitigate the impact from the weekend shutdowns.

Sincerely,

Stephen Kingsberry
Director & General Manager, PATH

Posted on: 2014/2/19 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Before the Christie administration came to power, the plan to shut down the PATH tunnel to the WTC center included PATH service to Exchange Place with a free ferry between Exchange and the new Battery Park Ferry terminal. Partly this shut down was delayed by the construction of that terminal and the connecting corridor, now complete.

this would be a good point to bring up at tonight's meeting.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I get that empty bitching is...empty bitching. I've contacted the Governor's office and the PA by phone and email. If 10,000 other people did that, we might see some results. We will NOT get results from meeting with Ms. Onofrio (who graduated from college 3 years ago, according to LinkedIn). The PA will get to say they met with "concerned citizen groups". I don't choose to be a part of their public relations campagn, but enjoy the meeting.

Why do you think your phone calls/e-mails matter?

Posted on: 2014/2/18 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
These are the roles any organization/company would send for a situation such as this...marketing...comms....customer service...PR..... They're not going to send their head of operations or chief engineer....

Anyone who's complaining about this issue but doesn't attend has no right to bitch.

It's all useless, as the PA is simply unaccountable, by design. I went and spoke at the PA meeting in JC about the fare hike, along with Fulop and Healy, where there were dozens of non-JC union workers lobbying for the PA to take even more of our money and give it to them to build the monstrosity at 1 WTC. Guess who won? And there were high PA executives there.

These flunkys are only being sent because the PA is under the magnifying glass for the moment. The "reforms" suggested in the Times were so mild as to accentuate how untouchable the PA is.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I get that empty bitching is...empty bitching. I've contacted the Governor's office and the PA by phone and email. If 10,000 other people did that, we might see some results. We will NOT get results from meeting with Ms. Onofrio (who graduated from college 3 years ago, according to LinkedIn). The PA will get to say they met with "concerned citizen groups". I don't choose to be a part of their public relations campagn, but enjoy the meeting.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Then boycott or walk out... but if you feel strongly enough, do something.

The intent of this meeting is "for residents to ask questions and air their concerns." Fellow JC residents and community organizers have been proactive and used their personal time/energies to get it scheduled.

Sure, maybe nothing will come of the public feedback...and maybe it ultimately will be a waste of time. And maybe refreshments won't be served. But it sure as shit seems like a better forum to air grievances and provide feedback directly to the PA than doing it on JC List....

Posted on: 2014/2/18 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
These are the roles any organization/company would send for a situation such as this...marketing...comms....customer service...PR..... They're not going to send their head of operations or chief engineer....

Anyone who's complaining about this issue but doesn't attend has no right to bitch.

Wrong. As a taxpayer and a PATH customer, I have every right to bitch. Attendance at a useless meeting doesn't confer magical powers on you or anyone else. And the fact that people will attend said useless meeting and feel like they "did something" is saddest of all.

It would be a much stronger message to boycott the meeting, or walk out during the PA drones' portion of it.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I attended those Spectra "meetings." I would like my time back now...

Posted on: 2014/2/18 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
maybe the heads of the port authority should be elected...there is no accountability at this agency

Posted on: 2014/2/18 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/18 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Before the Christie administration came to power, the plan to shut down the PATH tunnel to the WTC center included PATH service to Exchange Place with a free ferry between Exchange and the new Battery Park Ferry terminal. Partly this shut down was delayed by the construction of that terminal and the connecting corridor, now complete.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
This is part of the monthly meeting of the Van Vorst Park Association.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
It is a farce that given the outcry and complaints, and the level of impact to so many people, the PA only sends such "clowns" to the meeting to lip service us.

They don't even bother sending "real people" to talk to us.

Thanks PA - for really showing us how much "we" mean to you.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"coordinator of marketing and customer service programs"

"external client representative, government and community relations"

Even in corporate life, these are titles for people who do nothing/have no authority. Can you imagine what they're like at the PA? I didn't read any mention of free refreshments, so I won't bother going.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/2/18 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
ask them what is the point of the relatively new signs above turnstiles/entrance topatth....i don't need to know that there are trains running to jjsw/nwr/33rdor wtc. i need to know when the next train leaves as is doown in nyc subway.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
The responses will either be I have no authority to implement the change, or that's a great idea, I'll be sure to let the managers know!!

Posted on: 2014/2/18 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Marketing representative...ugh.
Lip service I'm sure.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 0:52

Public Meeting with Port Authority Reps: 2/18/14 @ 7:30pm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... =referral&utm_source=t.co

A Downtown Jersey City neighborhood group has organized a public meeting for Tuesday night for residents to ask questions and air their concerns over the weekend closing of PATH service between the Exchange Place station in Jersey City the the World Trade Center station in Manhattan.

Representatives of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the bi-state agency that operates PATH, will attend the meeting arranged by the Historic Paulus Hook Association (HPHA) and hosted by the Van Vorst Park Association.

The meeting is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and will be held at the Barrow Mansion, 83 Wayne St.

Port Authority announced last week that service between the two stations would be suspended every weekend for the rest of the year and possibly into 2015 so the agency can install a federally mandated anti-collision system.

The last departure on Fridays at the World Trade Center-Newark line is 11:55 p.m. at the World Trade Center, arriving in Newark at 12:17 a.m. The last departure in the other direction leaves Newark at 11:20 p.m. on Fridays and arrives at the World Trade Center at 11:42 p.m.

Service resumes on Mondays, with the first departure out of the World Trade Center scheduled for 5:10 a.m.

PATH representatives Jenn Onofrio, coordinator of marketing and customer service programs, and Juan Carlos Rojas, external client representative, government and community relations, will be at the meeting to hear the public's questions and concerns about the service shutdown.

The HPHA board of directors said it wants Port Authority to establish alternate channels of transportation to mitigate the shutdown, including:

-- Arranging for discounted weekend ferry service between Paulus Hook and World Financial Center;
-- Provide shuttles between Christopher Street and World Trade Center.
-- Eliminate the Hoboken stop from weekend PATH service between Newark and 33rd Street, and establish separate, direct weekend PATH service between Hoboken and 33rd Street.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... =referral&utm_source=t.co

Posted on: 2014/2/17 23:34

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017